09 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Operational Update WHO 09 Sep 2020
- Global COVID-19 Death Toll Exceeds 900,000 - Johns Hopkins Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- The global COVID-19 death toll has exceeded 900,000, according to a Johns Hopkins University tally.
- Children's lives at stake, COVID threatens to undo 30 years of 'remarkable progress' UN News 09 Sep 2020 -- COVID-19 threatens to undo decades of hard-fought progress in reducing deaths of children under the age of five, UN agencies have warned, calling on countries to ensure vital health services for children and women do not falter amid the global crisis.
- Trump deliberately downplayed coronavirus in early days of pandemic, new book says Press TV 09 Sep 2020 -- US President Donald Trump deliberately downplayed the danger of coronavirus in early days of pandemic, according to a new book by Washington Post associate editor Bob Woodward.
- Trump Admitted to 'Playing Down' COVID-19 Threat in March, Bob Woodward Claims in New Book Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- Bob Woodward, the famed Washington Post journalist who reported on the Watergate scandal in the early 1970s, was one of the first to publish a tell-all book on the Trump White House, with books of this type turning into an entire cottage industry and raking in hundreds of millions of dollars for authors and publishers.
- Readout From the White House Coronavirus Task Force's Governors Briefing on COVID-19 Response & Progress on Vaccine Development, Manufacturing and Distribution DoD 09 Sep 2020
- Full Impact of COVID-19 on Industrial Base Not Yet Known DoD News 09 Sep 2020 -- While it appears the defense industrial base has fared well though the COVID-19 crisis, the full impact has yet to be seen, the undersecretary of defense for acquisition and sustainment said.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 09 Sep 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces 33rd Straight Day with COVID-19 Infection Rate Below 1 Percent New York State 09 Sep 2020
- Influential COVID-19 model projects 410,000 total deaths in U.S. by Jan. 1 People's Daily 09 Sep 2020 -- The country is seeing increasing transmission in ten states, namely Idaho, Utah, Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Alabama, Virginia, West Virginia, Illinois and Iowa.
- Over Half a Million US Kids Diagnosed With COVID-19 Since Pandemic Onset - Report Sputnik 09 Sep 2020 -- More than half a million children in the US have tested positive for COVID-19, according to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP).
- Fauci Says Halt of Coronavirus Trial a 'Safety Valve' at Work VOA 09 Sep 2020 -- America's top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci, said Wednesday that AstraZeneca's suspension of final global trials of its COVID-19 experimental vaccine points to the effectiveness of the safeguards that have been incorporated into the trials.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Development Will Follow Scientific Process, US Experts Vow VOA 09 Sep 2020 -- Development of a COVID-19 vaccine will not be compromised by outside political considerations, U.S. health experts told lawmakers Wednesday.
- How Superspreaders - People and Places - Drive the COVID-19 Pandemic VOA 09 Sep 2020 -- A wedding reception in Maine led to nearly 160 COVID-19 cases. A motorcycle rally in South Dakota spread the coronavirus to more than 230 people and perhaps as many as 250,000, according to one estimate. Meanwhile, house parties and bar nights in college towns across the country are sparking outbreaks that make public health officials wince.
- Flu vaccine supplies to increase amid COVID-19 pandemic Global Times 09 Sep 2020 -- Facing the dual threat of COVID-19 and the seasonal flu, which has always occurred in the autumn and winter, China is expanding the supply of flu vaccines this year to meet the expected increasing demand. Experts believe the flu vaccine will not be in short supply and the national arrangement will be finished in two months.
- Wuhan lockdown, a game-changing decision in China's fight against COVID-19 People's Daily 09 Sep 2020 -- As China held the meeting to commend role models in the fight against the COVID-19 epidemic at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, it is especially meaningful to bring to mind a game-changing decision made by President Xi Jinping at a crucial juncture of the anti-epidemic battle: locking down the central megacity of Wuhan.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Tuesday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- Boris Johnson imposes new partial lockdown to prevent Covid-19 second wave Press TV 09 Sep 2020 -- Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, has imposed new coronavirus-related restrictions to contain what is gearing up to be a second wave of infections.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 1,176 to 253,474 SPA 09 Sep 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 1,176 to 253,474, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Wednesday, Reuters reported.
- Russian Fund Says Mexico To Get 32 Million Russian COVID-19 Vaccine Doses RFE/RL 09 Sep 2020 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) says it has signed a deal with a Mexican pharmaceutical company, Landsteiner Scientific, to deliver 32 million doses of the Russian-made Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine.
- India continues to scale new heights in COVID-19 tests India PIB 09 Sep 2020 -- On the day when India has registered the highest single day recoveries of nearly 75,000, it continues to set a record in testing too. More than 11.5 lakh COVID samples have been tested in the last 24 hours.
- UPDATES on COVID-19 India PIB 09 Sep 2020 -- In the last 24 hours, India has scaled a new high of recoveries. The total number of recovered patients in a single day has surged to a record 74,894.
- India's daily COVID-19 cases among highest worldwide, Philippines logs 3,281 new infections People's Daily 09 Sep 2020 -- India reported 75,809 daily COVID-19 cases on Tuesday with the highest single-day number worldwide as the Philippines logged 3,281 new infections.
- India to reopen schools even as country sees 89,700 new virus cases SPA 09 Sep 2020 -- India logged a daily rise of 89,706 coronavirus infections on Wednesday, taking its second-highest tally globally to over 4.3 million cases as the government said it would reopen schools for students in upper grades after more than five months of closure, dpa reported.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 127 more in Iran over past 24 hours IRNA 09 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat-Lari said on Wednesday that 127 more Iranians have lost their lives to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 22,669.
- Attending School Not Obligatory, Says Iranian Education Minister Radio Farda 09 Sep 2020 -- Following a barrage of harsh criticism, Mohsen Haji-Mirzaei, the Iran's Minister of Education, said on Monday, September 7, that "Students are not obliged to attend schools."
- Health Ministry Spokesperson: 775 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 09 Sep 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali announced in a press conference here today that 775 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 323,012 cases, including 19,881 active cases undergoing treatment. Of these, there are 1,386 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Taiwan reclassifies Hong Kong, Vietnam COVID-19 risk CNA 09 Sep 2020 -- Taiwan on Wednesday added Hong Kong back to its list of regions from which business travelers can apply for shorter quarantine periods upon arrival in Taiwan, as well as reclassified Vietnam's risk of COVID-19.
- Pharmaceutical Giant AstraZeneca Halts COVID-19 Vaccine Trial VOA 09 Sep 2020 -- British-Swedish pharmaceutical giant Astra-Zeneca has paused large-scale global trials of its COVID-19 vaccine because a volunteer participant became ill after receiving the experimental drug.
- Brazil to launch COVID-19 vaccination drive in January People's Daily 09 Sep 2020 -- Brazil will launch a mass vaccination drive against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in January, the government said on Tuesday.
- Tajikistan Marks Independence Day Without Public Events RFE/RL 09 Sep 2020 -- Tajikistan is marking 29 years of post-Soviet independence in an uncharacteristically low-profile affair avoiding public events due to the coronavirus pandemic.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|