08 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Finance Ministers meet to refine 'single ambitious menu' for COVID-19 recovery and beyond UN News 08 Sep 2020 -- The UN Deputy Secretary-General has reminded Finance Ministers from across the world of their duty to help countries emerge from the social and economic chaos brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nine coronavirus vaccine makers pledge to 'stand with science' SPA 08 Sep 2020 -- Nine pharmaceutical companies pledged on Tuesday to "uphold the integrity of the scientific process" as they face pressure to quickly produce a coronavirus vaccine.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 08 Sep 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces Four States Added to Travel Advisory Requiring 14-Day Quarantines New York State 08 Sep 2020
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 08 Sep 2020
- US Drug Execs Promise COVID Vaccine Safety Before Seeking Government Approval VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- Nine chief executives of competing drug companies working to develop a vaccine for the coronavirus jointly said Tuesday they would not seek U.S. government regulatory approval for its use until Phase 3 tests showed it was safe.
- College towns become new front in U.S. COVID-19 pandemic: NYT People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- About 100 college communities in the United States have seen a high rate of infection in recent weeks as students have returned for the fall semester, making the campuses and the surrounding community a new front of the country's COVID-19 pandemic, said an article published by The New York Times on Sunday.
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 890,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 890,000 on Monday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Hong Kong to relax anti-epidemic measures from Friday: official Global Times 08 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong plans to start easing anti-epidemic measures on Friday. Sports and entertainment venues will reopen, and restrictions on group gatherings and dining will be relaxed from two to four people, said local officials on Tuesday.
- First imported COVID-19 case from S.Africa to China may trigger flight 'circuit breaker' Global Times 08 Sep 2020 -- One passenger on Air China flight CA868 from Johannesburg, South Africa, to Shenzhen, South China's Guangdong Province, tested positive for COVID-19 on September 2, marking the first imported case from South Africa to China, which may trigger a temporary suspension of the airline to China, also known as a "circuit breaker", the Embassy of China in South Africa announced.
- Xi praises COVID role models in speech People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- President Xi Jinping attends a meeting to commend role models in China's fight against the COVID-19 epidemic on Tuesday. He presented medals to four outstanding individuals, and delivers a speech at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. Here are some highlights from his address.
- Chronicle of Xi's leadership in China's war against coronavirus People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- On March 10, 2020, at Huoshenshan Hospital in Wuhan, Chinese President Xi Jinping -- wearing a mask -- spoke to a patient lying in bed by video link.
- Senior WHO officials congratulate China for COVID-19 control, yet no room for complacency People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- Senior World Health Organization (WHO) officials on Monday congratulated the front-line health workers and the people in China for having reached a successful outcome in fighting COVID-19.
- Hong Kong to relax social distancing measures amid dropping new infections People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- Hong Kong announced Tuesday the further relaxation of social distancing measures as the COVID-19 epidemic showed signs of abating.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Xi summarizes China's experience in combating COVID-19 PLA Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- President Xi Jinping on Tuesday summarized the important experience in six areas in China's fight against the COVID-19 epidemic as the country has made major strategic achievement.
- Xi highlights spirit of combating COVID-19 PLA Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- President Xi Jinping on Tuesday summarized China's spirit of combating the COVID-19 epidemic, which features putting people's lives first, nationwide solidarity, sacrifice, respecting science, and a sense of mission for humanity.
- Chen Wei: recombinant COVID-19 vaccine effective against various novel coronavirus mutations PLA Daily 08 Sep 2020 -- Major General Chen Wei, a recipient of the title of "People's Hero", an academician with the Chinese Academy of Engineering and a researcher at the Institute of Military Medicine under the Academy of Military Sciences, was interviewed recently on the R&D and application of COVID-19 vaccines in China that the public is most concerned about.
- Greece Reports 156 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases SPA 08 Sep 2020 -- Greece reported today 156 confirmed cases of COVID-19 taking its total to 11,663.
- Despite Strict Lockdown, Spain Sees Sharp COVID-19 Spike VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- Deirdre Carney suspected she might have COVID-19 when her temperature began to fluctuate above the normal 37 degrees Celsius.
- Spain Leads Western Europe with 500k Coronavirus Infections VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- Spain has become the first nation in Western Europe to exceed a half-million COVID-19 total infections, as the total number of cases around the world surged to 27.3 million, including 893,000 deaths.
- Ministry Says First Batch Of Russian COVID-19 Vaccine Released For Distribution RFE/RL 08 Sep 2020 -- Russia's Health Ministry says the first batch of the country's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine has been released for civil distribution.
- Russia Reports 5,099 New Coronavirus Cases, 122 Deaths SPA 08 Sep 2020 -- Russia reported 5,099 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, pushing its national tally to 1,035,789, the fourth largest in the world, Reuters reported.
- India scales a new peak of 5 cr total COVID tests India PIB 08 Sep 2020 -- Aggressive and widespread TESTING has essayed an important role in India's fight against the COVID pandemic. India has scaled another peak- the cumulative tests have surpassed 5 crore today.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 132 more in Iran IRNA 08 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat-Lari said on Tuesday that 132 more Iranians have lost their lives to coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 22,542.
- Iran urges WHO to make efforts to end 'unilateral, illegitimate' US sanctions amid COVID-19 pandemic Press TV 08 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Minister Saeed Namaki has written to the World Health Organization (WHO) chief, asking for global efforts towards ending America's "unilateral and illegitimate" sanctions against Iranians amid a deadly coronavirus pandemic.
- S. Korea to Mass-Produce Antibody Treatment of COVID-19 This Month SPA 08 Sep 2020 -- South Korea plans to mass-produce an antibody treatment of the novel coronavirus later this month, Yonhap quoted health authorities as saying today, on Tuesday.
- Health Ministry: 623 New Recoveries, Daily COVID-19 Cases under 800 Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 781 new confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 322,237 cases, including 19,854 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwanese tests positive for COVID-19 after returning from France CNA 08 Sep 2020 -- A Taiwanese national who works in France tested positive for COVID-19 after returning to Taiwan recently, bringing the total number of cases in Taiwan to 495, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Volunteer Medics Came To Kyrgyzstan To Fight COVID-19. Now They Can't Go Home. RFE/RL 08 Sep 2020 -- At the peak of the COVID-19 outbreak in Kyrgyzstan this summer, dozens of Kyrgyz medics generously came from Russia to help fight the virus, which had overwhelmed the poor Central Asian country's health-care system.
- Egypt reports 178 new COVID-19 cases, tally exceeds 100,000 Global Times 08 Sep 2020 -- Egypt registered on Monday 178 new COVID-19 infections, raising the total cases in the country to 100,041, said the health ministry.
- Turkey gives Daesh terrorist 40 life terms for 2017 Istanbul nightclub massacre Press TV 08 Sep 2020 -- A Turkish court has sentenced to life the main suspect in the 2017 New Year's Eve attack by the Daesh Takfiri terrorist group on a nightclub in the city of Istanbul.
- Jamaica Launches New Initiatives to Control Spread of Coronavirius VOA 08 Sep 2020 -- Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness has announced new measures aimed at containing the spread of the novel coronavirus on the island nation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|