05 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Rescues and wildfires: National Guard responds on West Coast Army News 05 Sep 2020 -- Rescue missions and support to civil authorities fighting wildfires were the focus of West Coast troop visits by the National Guard's highest-ranking general and his senior enlisted advisor this week.
- Lebanese army busts Daesh-linked terror cell plotting attacks Press TV 05 Sep 2020 -- The Lebanese army has dismantled a terrorist cell linked to the Daesh Takfiri group before it could carry out acts of terror in the Arab country.
- Members of Daesh-Linked Terrorist Cell Who Plotted Attacks in Lebanon Arrested Sputnik 05 Sep 2020 -- The Lebanese military intelligence detained members of a terrorist cell, which is linked to Daesh* and planned attacks in the country, the press office of Lebanon's armed forces said on Saturday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- WHO Does Not Expect Widespread Covid-19 Vaccinations Until Mid-2021 SPA 05 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) does not expect widespread vaccinations against the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19) until the middle of next year, a spokesperson said Friday, emphasizing the importance of rigorous checks on their effectiveness and safety.
- WHO: Mass COVID Vaccinations Unlikely Before Middle of 2021 VOA 05 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization says it is unlikely a safe, effective vaccine against COVID-19 will be available for widespread use before the middle of next year.
- Aggressive COVID Forecast Predicts 410,000 Deaths by New Year's VOA 05 Sep 2020 -- More than 410,000 Americans could die from COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, by January 1, 2021, according to the latest model by the University of Washington's Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 05 Sep 2020
- Shanghai reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Sep 2020 -- Shanghai reported three imported COVID-19 cases and no increase in domestically-transmitted cases on Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Friday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports 10 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Sep 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported ten new imported COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 2,563, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- 21 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 05 Sep 2020 -- The National Health Commission said Saturday that 21 COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Friday.
- Russian Scientists Say Coronavirus Vaccine Shows Immune Response RFE/RL 05 Sep 2020 -- Russian scientists have published results from early tests of their Sputnik-V coronavirus vaccine that was approved by the Russian government with much fanfare in August.
- India's COVID-19 tally surpasses 4 million, deaths near 70,000 Global Times 05 Sep 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally surpassed 4 million on Saturday, reaching 4,023,179, while the number of deaths due to the pandemic soared to 69,561, according to federal health ministry's data.
- India registers highest single day recoveries with more than 70,000 COVID patients discharged India PIB 05 Sep 2020 -- India's TEST, TRACK and TREAT strategy is showing tangible results.The Recovery Rate of India touched a record high of more than 70000 patients being discharged in a single day.
- Centre exhorts Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka to focus on breaking the Chain of Transmission and keeping the Mortality below 1% India PIB 05 Sep 2020 -- The Health Ministry has been regularly engaging with States and UTs that have been exhibiting either a sudden surge in COVID cases, high caseload or reporting a higher mortality in some districts.
- Health Ministry issues Updated Advisory on COVID-19 testing India PIB 05 Sep 2020 -- There has been an unprecedented upsurge in India's daily testing capacities. For two successive days more than 11.70 lakh tests have been conducted per day. A total of 4 crore and 77 lakh tests have been done so far across the country.
- India Reports More Than 86,000 New COVID-19 Cases VOA 05 Sep 2020 -- India reported 86,432 new COVID-19 cases Saturday, taking its total infections to 4,023,179, according to Johns Hopkins University.
- COVID-19 kills 110 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 05 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday that some 110 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Rouhani stresses importance of education for students despite pandemic IRNA 05 Sep 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani stressed the importance of starting the eduction year for kids despite the pandemic situation and said that it is wrong to look at health and education as two extremes that cannot exist at the same time.
- Iran rings in new school year two weeks earlier amid special COVID-19 measures Press TV 05 Sep 2020 -- Iran rings in the new school year two weeks earlier than usual amid special COVID-19 measures, with Iran's President Hassan Rouhani promising a "school year contrasting with all previous school years in the last century".
- Health Ministry: Coronavirus Critical Cases Continue to Decrease, 779 New Cases Recovered, in Saudi Arabia SPA 05 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 791 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 319,932 cases, including 20,041 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan confirms two new imported COVID-19 cases CNA 05 Sep 2020 -- A Filipino migrant worker and a Taiwanese woman, both in their 30s, were diagnosed with COVID-19 on Saturday, bringing the total number of cases in Taiwan to 492, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Nepal reports record high COVID-19 cases in second consecutive day Global Times 05 Sep 2020 -- The Nepali government on Friday reported record high COVID-19 cases in the second consecutive day as the country confirmed 1,354 new cases.
- Brazil Reports 50,163 Coronavirus Cases, 888 Deaths SPA 05 Sep 2020 -- Brazil recorded 50,163 additional confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, as well as 888 deaths from the disease, Reuters cited the Health Ministry as saying today, on Friday.
- UN Raising Funds to Help Curb COVID in Palestinian Refugee Camps VOA 05 Sep 2020 -- The U.N. is appealing for nearly $95 million to contain and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus in densely populated Palestinian refugee camps across the Middle East.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|