01 September 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- The Department of Justice and the Federal Bureau of Investigation Announce Critical Reforms to Enhance Compliance, Oversight, and Accountability at the FBI US Dept. of Justice 01 Sep 2020 -- These Reforms Will Improve the FBI's Internal Compliance Program, Ensure the Accuracy of FISA Applications, and Require Proper Oversight of FISA Applications Targeting Elected Officials and Campaigns
- Facebook Says It Removed Networks Of Fake Accounts In Russia, Pakistan RFE/RL 01 Sep 2020 -- Facebook says it has removed three networks of fake accounts last month located in Russia, Pakistan, and the United States as it seeks to combat "influence operations" on its platform.
- Remarks by President Trump During a Wisconsin Community Safety Roundtable | Kenosha, WI The White House 01 Sep 2020
- Remarks by President Trump During Emergency Operations Center Tour | Kenosha, WI The White House 01 Sep 2020
- Remarks by President Trump During Survey of Property Damage | Kenosha, WI The White House 01 Sep 2020
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- No country can just pretend pandemic is over: WHO chief People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) wants to see children returning to school and people returning to the workplace, but at the same time, no country can just pretend the pandemic is over, the head of the WHO said Monday.
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 850,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 850,000 on Tuesday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- World 'Can't Pretend Pandemic is Over,' WHO Chief Says VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization is warning that "no country can just pretend the pandemic is over."
- Several COVID-19 Vaccines Enter Final Testing Stage VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- Several experimental COVID-19 vaccines have reached the final testing stage, officials involved in their development have said.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 01 Sep 2020
- Trump Administration to Send New COVID-19 Rapid Tests to State Leaders VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- The Trump administration announced Tuesday that an "overwhelming majority" of the rapid COVID-19 tests it purchased from Abbott Laboratories last month will be sent to state leaders in an effort to support the reopening of what it calls "critical infrastructure" around the United States.
- US 'herd immunity' an appeasement strategy for nation's helplessness: Chinese experts Global Times 01 Sep 2020 -- Rather than large-scale testing, quarantining infected individuals and their close contacts, and promoting vaccine development - measures taken by China against the COVID-19 - the US is adopting "herd immunity," a strategy that has already been proven "a disaster" in some European countries, which Chinese experts believe is "a huge gamble" to people's health or even lives in the US.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases surpass 6 mln -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 6 million on Monday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- U.S. COVID-19 surge might move to Midwest as nationwide cases surpass 6 million People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- Leading epidemiologists warned on Monday that Midwest regions in the United States, which saw sharp increase of COVID-19 infections recently, might be another "hotspot" for the pandemic.
- U.S. Reports 37,532 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 473 Deaths SPA 01 Sep 2020 -- The United States of America reported today 37,532 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 473 death cases.
- HK mass testing 'best way' to normalcy Global Times 01 Sep 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) officially kicked off universal nucleic acid testing on Tuesday, which is considered the best way for the southern Chinese city to put epidemic under control, reopen its economy and resume normalcy. As local officials and residents have expected, the local opposition forces have mounted constant campaign to smear government-led preventive measures and politicize the epidemic at the cost of public health.
- 10,000 tested hours after COVID-19 universal community nucleic acid screening launch in HK: Carrie Lam Global Times 01 Sep 2020 -- Over 10,000 residents had been tested hours after the community nucleic acid testing scheme kicked off in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Tuesday, Chief Executive Carrie Lam said, while rejecting attempts by some medical personnel from the Hospital Authority to discredit the scheme and urging the relevant organizations to hold back their opposition.
- New school year in China begins with strict COVID-19 measures People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- With a mixture of nerves and excitement, many students in China kicked off a new school year on Tuesday.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Monday, the regional health commission said Tuesday in its daily report.
- Chinese mainland reports no new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- No new locally-transmitted COVID-19 cases were reported Monday across the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Hong Kong's daily COVID-19 cases back to single digit People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- The number of new daily COVID-19 cases in Hong Kong dropped to single digit once again since the start of the third wave of outbreak in early July.
- China issues plan to bolster COVID-19 testing capacity People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- China will further beef up its capacity of nucleic acid testing of novel coronavirus, according to a newly released work plan.
- EU launches 60 mln euros anti-COVID-19 assistance program for IGAD member states People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- The European Union (EU) on Monday launched a 60 million U.S. euros anti-COVID-19 assistance program for Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) member states.
- France Reopens Schools with New Safety Measures VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- Millions of French children returned to school Tuesday under new safety regulations, despite a recent rise in virus infections, in a nationwide experiment aimed at bridging inequality and reviving the economy.
- Of the total 4.33 cr tests, India conducted more than 1.22 cr tests in the last 2 weeks India PIB 01 Sep 2020 -- The guiding principle within the Centre-led strategy of TEST, TRACK, TREAT has been aggressive testing by the States/UTs. High level of testing on a sustained leads to early diagnosis and enhanced recoveries.
- UPDATES on COVID-19 India PIB 01 Sep 2020
- Official: COVID-19 kills 101 more in Iran IRNA 01 Sep 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Tuesday that some 101 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 21,672.
- Iran Political Prisoners Warn Authorities About COVID Breakout In Prison Radio Farda 01 Sep 2020 -- In an open letter, sixty political prisoners warned on Sunday about a COVID-19 breakout in several wards of Fashafuyeh Prison of Tehran.
- Health Ministry: 898 New Cases Detected while 1,519 are Critical Cases SPA 01 Sep 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement today that 898 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 316,670 cases, including 21,227 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Japan to reopen borders to Taiwanese business travelers next week CNA 01 Sep 2020 -- Japan will soon reopen its borders to Taiwanese business travelers, provided that a set of coronavirus prevention measures are followed, Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said Tuesday.
- WHO cautions Kenya against easing COVID-19 containment measures People's Daily 01 Sep 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday cautioned Kenya against relaxing measures aimed at containing the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Kenya reports 144 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 01 Sep 2020 -- The Kenyan Ministry of Health announced the registration of 144 new confirmed cases of the Novel Coronavirus during the past 24 hours.
- Palestine records highest daily rise of COVID-19 cases Global Times 01 Sep 2020 -- Palestine recorded the highest daily rise of COVID-19 cases on Monday after the outbreak of the deadly pandemic in the Palestinian territories in March, its health minister said.
- Deal to reduce recent Gaza tensions will aid fight against COVID-19 UN News 01 Sep 2020 -- The top UN official in the Middle East has hailed an agreement to reduce the latest tensions in and around Gaza amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Uzbekistan Marks Independence Day Without Public Events Due To Pandemic RFE/RL 01 Sep 2020 -- Uzbekistan has marked its Independence Day without any public events amid concern over the spread of the coronavirus.
- Uzbek Citizens Allowed To Enter Kyrgyzstan At Dostuk Border Point RFE/RL 01 Sep 2020 -- Kyrgyzstan has allowed Uzbek citizens to enter the country via the Dostuk checkpoint along the border of the two Central Asian nations as of September 1 in a minor easing of some restrictions implemented to battle the coronavirus outbreak.
- Brazil's COVID-19 death toll tops 121,000 Global Times 01 Sep 2020 -- Brazil on Monday said its COVID-19 death toll surpassed 121,000 deaths after 553 more patients died in the previous 24 hours, which took the total number of fatalities to 121,381.
- UAE Sends Medical Aid to Myanmar in Fight against COVID-19 SPA 01 Sep 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates (UAE) sent an aid plane today carrying five tonnes of medical supplies and testing kits to Myanmar to bolster the country's efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19. This aid will assist approximately 5,000 medical professionals as they work to contain the virus.
- Indonesia Reports 2,775 New Coronavirus Cases, 88 Deaths SPA 01 Sep 2020 -- Indonesia reported 2,775 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, bringing the total tally to 177,571, data from the country's COVID-19 taskforce showed, Reuters reported.
- Cameroon Warns Against COVID Quacks VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- Cameroon marked African Traditional Medicine Day Monday, cautioning its population against quacks trying to make money, especially during the coronavirus pandemic. Authorities say while some traditional medicines have a proven medical use, many fake healers are looking to scam those who cannot afford modern medicine.
- Uganda Refugee Camp Locked Down After Coronavirus Surge VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- Uganda and the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) have placed one of the largest refugee camps in Africa, Kyangwali, under lockdown after a jump in confirmed cases of the coronavirus. The refugees there say they are feeling the pinch.
- Violators of Trinidad and Tobago's New No Mask Law to Face Hefty Fines VOA 01 Sep 2020 -- Trinidad and Tobago have adopted a stringent face mask policy to prevent the spread of the coronavirus in the Caribbean.
- Migrants From Neighboring Countries Sneak Into Laos, Sparking COVID Fears Radio Free Asia 01 Sep 2020 -- Migrants from China, Myanmar, and Vietnam are increasingly entering Laos by boat and through lightly-guarded border crossings, avoiding more heavily inspected international checkpoints and sparking fears among residents near the border of the spread of COVID-19 infection, Lao sources say.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|