24 August 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- National Guard helps fight California wildfires Army News 24 Aug 2020 -- Hundreds of members of the National Guard from multiple states are supporting state and local efforts to fight the wildfires raging in California. Guard members on land and in the air are helping firefighters and first responders do their jobs, while Guard aircrews are helping map and fight the blazes.
- Strengthening global cooperation on counter-terrorism must remain a priority during and after pandemic, Security Council told UN News 24 Aug 2020 -- With Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL/Da'esh) and other terrorist groups attempting to exploit the COVID-19 pandemic for their own ends, the international community must respond with stronger collective action and cooperation, the to UN counter-terrorism official said on Monday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Weekly Epidemiological Update WHO 24 Aug 2020
- WHO Issues Mask-Wearing Guidelines for Children VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- As millions of children head back to school, the World Health Organization has issued its recommendation on whether they need to wear face masks.
- COVAX Program is Evaluating 9 Potential Coronavirus Vaccines, WHO Says VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) said Monday nine vaccines are being evaluated by its cooperative COVAX facility which now has 172 nations as contributing partners.
- Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 23.31 million, death toll at 805,075 SPA 24 Aug 2020 -- More than 23.31 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 805,075 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- WHO presses for greater investment in global COVID-19 vaccine facility UN News 24 Aug 2020 -- Investing in a mechanism that will guarantee all countries have fair and timely access to a COVID-19 vaccine is the only way out of the global pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 24 Aug 2020
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 24 Aug 2020
- U.S. reports 45,265 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 1,006 Deaths SPA 24 Aug 2020 -- United States of America reported today 45,265 confirmed cases of the novel Coronavirus and 1,006 death cases.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New Record-Low COVID-19 Test Positivity Rate New York State 24 Aug 2020
- 6 more U.S. soldiers in S.Korea test positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- Six more U.S. soldiers in South Korea tested positive for COVID-19 amid the rising worry about a recent surge in locally confirmed cases, the U.S. Forces Korea (USFK) said Monday.
- U.S. FDA issues EUA for convalescent plasma to treat COVID-19 People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- Convalescent plasma has been used to treat more than 70,000 American COVID-19 patients so far.
- FDA authorizes COVID-19 plasma treatment amid Trump pressure Press TV 24 Aug 2020 -- The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized COVID-19 plasma treatment after President Donald Trump put the agency under pressure.
- Volunteers in China-Russia vaccine trial to be vaccinated by end September Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- Volunteers participating in a China-Russia COVID-19 vaccine trail are scheduled to have all been vaccinated by the end of September and results will be released by late autumn, Petrovax, a leading Russian pharmaceutical products developer, told the Global Times on Sunday.
- Shanghai expert explains low COVID-19 death rate Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- Shanghai has been able to keep the COVID-19 death rate low by analyzing the time from illness onset to death, a top Shanghai medical expert revealed on Monday.
- Urumqi eases COVID-19 lockdown, outdoor activities allowed in some communities as infections subside Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- Thirty-seven days after Urumqi, capital city of Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, pressed the pause button to contain the COVID-19 resurgence, the city has gradually lifted its lockdown by allowing residents of some local communities where there have been no COVID-19 patients to engage in outdoor activities within the community as infections have gradually subsided.
- China's Xinjiang reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases or asymptomatic cases were reported in northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region on Sunday, the regional health commission said in its daily report.
- Official: Emergency use of coronavirus vaccines authorized People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- China has already authorized emergency use of COVID-19 vaccines developed by domestic companies, a senior health official said on Saturday.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 711 to 233,575 SPA 24 Aug 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 711 to 233,575, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Monday, Reuters reported.
- Italy Launches Human Trials of Potential COVID-19 Vaccine Sputnik 24 Aug 2020 -- Italy on Monday launched human trials of GRAd-COV2, a potential COVID-19 vaccine developed by Rome-based biotechnology company ReiThera.
- Inauguration of DRDO's 500 Bed COVID Hospital in Patna India PIB 24 Aug 2020 -- A 500 bed Covid Hospital with 125 ICU beds, set up by Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) in Patna was inaugurated today by Shri Nityanand Rai, Hon'ble Union Minister of State for Home Affairs.
- On a steady march, India conducts a total of nearly 3.6 crore tests India PIB 24 Aug 2020 -- A key component in India's response to the COVID-19 pandemic has been early identification of the positive cases by timely and aggressive TESTING. Prompt identification and isolation synced with efficient treatment have led to the rising number of recoveries and low and declining mortality due to COVID-19.
- India's total Recoveries cross 23 lakh India PIB 24 Aug 2020 -- With more patients recovering and being discharged from hospitals and home isolation (in case of mild and moderate cases), India's COVID-19 total recoveries have crossed 23lakh today.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 133 more in Iran IRNA 24 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that some 133 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 20,776.
- Tokyo confirms 95 new daily COVID-19 cases, lowest since July 8 People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- The Tokyo metropolitan government on Monday confirmed 95 new daily cases of COVID-19, with the figure dropping to the lowest count since July 8.
- Health Ministry: 2,745 New Cases Recovered while 22,075 are Active SPA 24 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement today that 1,175 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 308,657 cases, including 22,075 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Taiwan considering making foreign arrivals pay for COVID-19 test CNA 24 Aug 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Monday said it is mulling whether if there is a need for arriving foreign nationals to undergo a self-paid COVID-19 test after their mandatory 14-day quarantine.
- Shanghai reports imported COVID-19 case from Taiwan CNA 24 Aug 2020 -- Shanghai recently reported an imported COVID-19 case from Taiwan but has not replied to Taiwanese requests for more information on the patient, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.
- Delay in COVID antibody results announcement raises questions CNA 24 Aug 2020 -- The results of a large-scale testing program for COVID-19 antibodies by National Taiwan University's (NTU) College of Public Health in collaboration with Changhua County, originally scheduled to be made public Tuesday, has been canceled, professor Chan Chang-chuan (詹長權) from the college announced Sunday.
- Zambia commends Chinese CDC for building capacity in COVID-19 testing Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- The Zambian government on Saturday commended the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention(Chinese CDC) for helping build the capacity of laboratories to test for COVID-19.
- Brazil sees lowest one-day COVID-19 death toll in 12 weeks Global Times 24 Aug 2020 -- Brazil on Sunday reported it registered 494 deaths from the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the previous 24 hours, the lowest number of fatalities in a single day since May 31.
- China to prioritize Mekong countries for COVID-19 vaccine People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- China will give priority to providing COVID-19 vaccines to Mekong countries once a vaccine is developed and put into use, Chinese Premier Li Keqiang said Monday.
- New Zealand's largest city COVID-19 lockdown to continue for four more days People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- The COVID-19 restrictions in New Zealand's largest city Auckland will continue at the current Alert Level 3 until Sunday night, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern announced on Monday.
- Israel reports 730 new COVID-19 cases, 102,663 in total People's Daily 24 Aug 2020 -- The cumulative number of Israeli coronavirus cases reached 102,663 on Sunday after 730 new ones were added, the Ministry of Health said.
- Imprisoned rights defenders in Egypt at 'grave risk' of COVID-19, warn UN experts UN News 24 Aug 2020 -- A group of independent UN rights experts have raised alarm over "grave and unnecessary" risks faced by imprisoned human rights defenders in Egypt due to lengthy pre-trial detention.
- Why is Vietnam Interested in Russia's Alleged COVID Vaccine? VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- A lot of eyebrows were raised when Russia announced it was the first to approve a vaccine for the coronavirus, and even more so when Vietnam said it would buy up to 150 million doses.
- New Zealand, S. Korea Toughen Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- New Zealand is requiring everyone using public transport and traveling on airplanes to wear face coverings starting Monday, while enhanced restrictions aimed at stopping the spread of a coronavirus outbreak in Auckland are being extended through Sunday.
- Ramaphosa Addresses South Africa's Corruption VOA 24 Aug 2020 -- South Africa's president has delivered a withering description of the corruption that plagues the ruling African National Congress.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|