09 August 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 202 WHO 09 Aug 2020
- Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 19.72 million, death toll at 726,249 SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- More than 19.72 million people have been reported to be infected by the novel coronavirus globally and 726,249 have died, according to a Reuters tally.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 09 Aug 2020
- US tops 5 million confirmed virus cases, to Europe's alarm SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- With confirmed coronavirus cases in the U.S. hitting 5 million Sunday, by far the highest of any country, the failure of the most powerful nation in the world to contain the scourge has been met with astonishment and alarm in Europe, AP reported.
- US COVID-19 infections top 5 million Global Times 09 Aug 2020 -- As the US witnesses the grim milestone of confirmed COVID-19 infections surpassing 5 million and deaths hitting 160,000, experts said Sunday that the upcoming US presidential election appears dismal for President Donald Trump, and if he is defeated, his successor will face dealing with an ongoing crisis.
- US Officially Passes 5 Million Coronavirus Cases VOA 09 Aug 2020 -- The United States surpassed five million coronavirus cases on Sunday, the most in the world.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 09 Aug 2020
- Chinese mainland reports 23 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 09 Aug 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that it received reports of 23 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including 15 locally transmitted ones.
- Britain's COVID-19 daily infections rise to highest level since June SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- Britain reported 1,062 new positive tests for coronavirus on Sunday, the highest daily rise in new COVID-19 infections since late June, at a time of new local lockdowns in some areas and worries over a second wave of infections.
- Germany Struggles to Set COVID-19 Rules as Schools Reopen VOA 09 Aug 2020 -- German students go back to school Monday even as federal and state leaders are still trying to figure out how to keep half a million children, their teachers, and other staffers safe from the coronavirus.
- India touches a new peak of 7,19,364 tests in a day India PIB 09 Aug 2020 -- In a new high, India has scaled the peak of testing more than 7 lakhs tests in a single day. Continuing the streak of more than 6 lakh tests in a single day for several days, India's tests have grown exponentially. 7,19,364 tests were done in the last 24 hours.
- India's COVID-19 cases surpass 2.1 mln, deaths rise to 43,379 Global Times 09 Aug 2020 -- India's total COVID-19 tally rose to 2,153,010 and the number of deaths surged to 43,379, according to the latest data issued by the federal health ministry on Sunday.
- COVID-19 kills 163 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 09 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 163 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 18,427.
- President Rouhani advises moderate campaign against coronavirus IRNA 09 Aug 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday advised moderate campaign against coronavirus.
- Iran Health Official Warns About Worsening Pandemic And Religious Gatherings Radio Farda 09 Aug 2020 -- An Iranian health official on Sunday warned that the Health Ministry's protocols are not likely to prevent the spread of the coronavirus during the upcoming Shiite religious ceremonies and warned about a third wave of the pandemic in autumn.
- Iran's President Says Coronavirus Restrictions To Remain Through January 2021 RFE/RL 09 Aug 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani says a state of emergency imposed in the country because of the coronavirus pandemic will remain in place at least until the end of January 2021.
- Japan governors ask gov't to boost grants in fight against pandemic SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- Japanese prefectural governors today, on Saturday asked the central government to increase the amount of extraordinary grants for local governments to fund various measures against the coronavirus pandemic, Kyodo reported.
- Health Ministry: 1,428 New Confirmed Cases, Critical Conditions Decreased by 5.5%, in Saudi Arabia SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced here today that 1,428 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 288,690 cases, including 33,484 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Health Ministry:We Continue Our Research and Conduct New Clinical Trial of Vaccine against Coronavirus SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health continues its efforts to address the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, and the search for an effective vaccine, with unlimited support from the government of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince, which has spared no effort and has made dear and precious efforts to preserve the health and safety of its citizens and residents living on our blessed country.
- US Health and Human Services Secretary Visits Taiwan VOA 09 Aug 2020 -- U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar arrived in Taiwan Sunday, leading a U.S. delegation for a three-day visit during which he will meet President Tsai Ing-wen.
- No community outbreak despite positive antibodies in Changhua: CECC CNA 09 Aug 2020 -- Despite the emergence of positive cases in an ongoing mass testing program for COVID-19 antibodies in Changhua County, no community outbreak has been seen, the Central Epidemic Command Center said Sunday.
- Arrivals from Philippines to be collectively quarantined CNA 09 Aug 2020 -- All travelers arriving from the Philippines will be quarantined at official quarantine locations starting Wednesday, due to the rising number of imported COVID-19 cases from the country, including a new case on Sunday, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Positive cases found in mass local COVID-19 antibody test: experts CNA 09 Aug 2020 -- An ongoing mass testing program for COVID-19 antibodies in Changhua County has seen positive cases, suggesting there have been previous infections in the central Taiwan county, experts said Saturday.
- U.S. health secretary to follow quarantine rules during Taiwan visit CNA 09 Aug 2020 -- United States Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) Alex Azar will present two negative test results for COVID-19 upon his arrival in Taiwan scheduled for Sunday afternoon, according to a U.S. health department spokesman.
- Anti-epidemic Activities Further Intensified in DPRK KCNA 09 Aug 2020 -- Emergency anti-epidemic headquarters at all levels are tightening the rules and order for all the fields and units to obey the unified guidance and regulation of the central emergency anti-epidemic headquarters, while stepping up propaganda activities, as required by the maximum emergency system.
- North Korea sends food, medical supplies to border town under coronavirus lockdown Press TV 09 Aug 2020 -- North Korea's ruling party has delivered food and medical supplies to residents of the border town of Kaesong after imposing a lockdown there due to the coronvirus pandemic.
- Brazil COVID-19 Deaths Reach 100,000 and Barrel Onward SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- Brazil's death toll from COVID-19 passed 100,000 today, on Saturday and continue to climb as most Brazilian cities reopen shops and dining even though the pandemic has yet to peak, Reuters reported.
- Brazil surpasses 100,000 deaths, 3 mln cases of COVID-19 Global Times 09 Aug 2020 -- Brazil has registered over 100,000 deaths and more than 3 million cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the government reported on Saturday.
- COVID-19 outbreak in Cuba may be "uncontrollable," warns health minister Global Times 09 Aug 2020 -- Cuban Minister of Public Health Jose Angel Portal said on Saturday that the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country may be "uncontrollable," especially in Havana.
- Nigeria Reports 453 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- The Republic of Nigeria reported 453 new Coronavirus cases during the past 24 hours.
- Mexico's Coronavirus Death Tally Exceeds 52,000, Cases Above 475,900 SPA 09 Aug 2020 -- Mexico's health ministry today, on Saturday reported 6,495 new confirmed coronavirus infections and 695 additional fatalities, bringing the total in the country to 475,902 cases and 52,006 deaths, according to Reuters.
- Cameroon Says No COVID-19 in Indigenous People Yet VOA 09 Aug 2020 -- Cameroon is using the International Day of the World's Indigenous Peoples, to educate indigenous communities who have preserved their ways of life and their own cultures despite external influences to respect barrier measures so as not to be infected by COVID-19.
- Indigenous Peoples Face Critical Threat from COVID-19 as Cultural, Political Rights Erode VOA 09 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations warns COVID-19 poses a critical threat to hundreds of millions of indigenous people worldwide. To mark the International Day of the World's Indigenous People, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is calling on countries to respond to their needs and to respect their cultural, social and political rights.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|