08 August 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- For 2020 Election, Threat is Bigger than Russia DoD News 08 Aug 2020 -- As November approaches and a new general election is on the minds of most Americans, preserving the security of that election is on the minds of cyber experts at U.S. Cyber Command and the National Security Agency. Officials there say that unlike in 2016, where Russia was the biggest threat to election security, there are now new threats that pose a risk.
- U.S. Will Watch Closely For Election Interference, Trump Says After Warning Of Iran, Russia, China Activity RFE/RL 08 Aug 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says his administration will watch closely for possible interference in the November presidential election by Russia, China, and Iran.
- N. China's Inner Mongolia reports second plague death in one week, plans to set up Level-III emergency response system Global Times 08 Aug 2020 -- North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region reported one new plague death on Saturday, the second one found in the region within one week. The regional government has announced a plan to build a Level-III emergency prevention system for the plague covering the whole region.
- China Seals Off Villages After Bubonic Plague Deaths VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- China on Saturday sealed off another village in Inner Mongolia after a resident died from bubonic plague, the second lockdown in the region in two days.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 201 WHO 08 Aug 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 08 Aug 2020
- Influential COVID-19 model projects nearly 300,000 deaths in U.S. by Dec. 1 People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- A key COVID-19 model has updated its projection that nearly 300,000 Americans may die from coronavirus by Dec. 1.
- U.S. state of California surpasses 10,000 deaths from COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- The death toll from COVID-19 in the U.S. state of California grew to 10,011 on Friday, according to the newest figure updated by the state's Department of Public Health.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases surpass 4.9 mln: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States surpassed 4.9 million on Friday, reaching 4,902,692 as of 1:35 p.m. local time (1735 GMT), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Ohio's Governor Asks Churchgoers to Wear Masks After Man Attending Service Led to 91 Covid-19 Cases Sputnik 08 Aug 2020 -- Ohio's Governor Mike DeWine is cracking down on wearing masks in the state, making it mandatory for everyone over 10 to wear face coverings indoors from 22 July. This also applies to people who are unable to maintain a six feet distance outdoors and on public transport.
- Remarks by President Trump in Press Briefing | Bedminster, NJ The White House 08 Aug 2020
- Mainland exports 470 mln USD of anti-epidemic supplies to HK Global Times 08 Aug 2020 -- The Chinese mainland exported 470 million US dollars worth of anti-epidemic supplies to Hong Kong during the first half of the year, up 130 percent year on year, the Ministry of Commerce said Saturday.
- China's first ISO-containerized P2+ mobile lab delivered in Shanghai to combat COVID-19 Global Times 08 Aug 2020 -- China's first ISO-containerized biosafety level 2 plus mobile nucleic acid testing laboratory was officially delivered at Shanghai Pudong Airport on Friday. It can save two hours as samples will not need to be sent to labs downtown, according to the Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai on Friday.
- Chinese mainland makes great efforts to help Hong Kong fight COVID-19 resurgence People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- Many sectors and citizens in Hong Kong believe that the support from the Chinese mainland will beyond doubt address the pressing needs of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) regarding the COVID-19 epidemic.
- China's daily COVID-19 nucleic acid testing capacity hits 4.84 million People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- China's daily COVID-19 nucleic acid testing capacity hit 4.84 million at the end of July, and 160 million tests have already been done nationwide, said Vice-Minister of the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) Wang Jiangping on Aug. 5.
- France reports biggest daily spike of coronavirus cases since end of April Global Times 08 Aug 2020 -- France on Friday reported 2,288 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the biggest daily spike since the end of April.
- Parts of Ireland under restrictions again due to rising COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- Irish Prime Minister Micheal Martin announced on Friday that parts of the country will be put under restrictions again due to rising cases of COVID-19.
- Greek Island Locks Down as COVID-19 Infections Soar Across Country VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- Three months after easing nationwide restrictions to stem the spread of the coronavirus, the government in Athens has placed the tiny Greek island of Poros into fresh lockdown following a sudden flare-up of infections in scores of locals and tourists. The lockdown comes as the coronavirus pandemic spreads rapidly in Greece, tripling infections in the past 10 days alone and marring the country's image as a near virus-free summer retreat.
- India's Total Recoveries cross 14.2 lakh India PIB 08 Aug 2020 -- Focused and effective efforts of containment, testing, isolation and treatment by the Centre and State/UT governments have resulted in increasing percentage recovery rates and steadily falling Case Fatality Rates.
- Centre directs the States to focus all efforts on reducing COVID-19 mortality India PIB 08 Aug 2020 -- Coordinated, graded and pro-active management of COVID-19 by the Union and State/UT governments has ensured the national Case Fatality Rate (CFR) is on the slide.
- COVID-19 kills 132 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 08 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday that some 132 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- S.Korea reports 43 more COVID-19 cases, 14,562 in total People's Daily 08 Aug 2020 -- South Korea reported 43 more cases of the COVID-19 as of 0:00 a.m. Saturday local time compared to 24 hours ago, raising the total number of infections to 14,562.
- Health Ministry: 1,469 New COVID-19 Cases, 1,492 New Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 08 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced here today that 1,469 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 287,262 cases, including 33,692 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Mexico Reports 6,717 More Coronavirus Infections, 794 Deaths SPA 08 Aug 2020 -- As many as 6,717 new confirmed coronavirus infections and 794 additional fatalities were registered in Mexico today, on Friday, bringing the total in the country to 469,407 cases and 51,311 deaths, Reuters cited the Mexican health ministry as reporting.
- Mexican President: We Have Better Coronavirus Situation Than United States Sputnik 08 Aug 2020 -- The Trump administration has lifted its Level 4 advisory on global travel, but issued similar-level alerts for more than 50 countries, including Mexico, which has had far fewer deaths in both absolute and per-capita terms.
- Chile reports 368,825 cases of COVID-19, with 9,958 deaths Global Times 08 Aug 2020 -- The Chilean Ministry of Health reported on Friday that the number of cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the country had risen to 368,825, with 9,958 deaths.
- Brazil Becomes 2nd Nation to Pass 100,000 Pandemic Deaths VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- Brazil on Saturday became the second country in the world to pass 100,000 deaths from the coronavirus, second to the United States, which has more than 161,000 deaths and is nearing a different milestone of its own: nearly 5 million confirmed cases of coronavirus. Brazil reported 3 million cases, also on Saturday.
- Malawi Makes Masks Mandatory in COVID-19 Fight VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- Malawi has made wearing masks mandatory in public places in an effort to curb a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- AU: 'Aggressive, Bold' Action Needed to Combat COVID-19 in Africa VOA 08 Aug 2020 -- The African Union says "aggressive and bold" action is needed to combat the COVID-19 outbreak on the continent.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|