07 August 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Portland Riots Read-out: August 7 DHS 07 Aug 2020
- Statement by NCSC Director William Evanina: Election Threat Update for the American Public Director of National Intelligence 07 Aug 2020 -- On July 24, 2020, I issued a statement to the American public providing an unclassified overview of foreign threats to the 2020 election and offering basic steps to mitigate some of these threats. At that time, I pledged that the U.S. Intelligence Community (IC) would continue to update the American public and other key stakeholders on the evolving election threat landscape, while also safeguarding our intelligence sources and methods.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 200 WHO 07 Aug 2020
- Six COVID-19 vaccine candidates, including 3 from China, now in phase-3 trials: WHO People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Six COVID-19 vaccine candidates, including three from China, have entered phase-3 trials, a senior World Health Organization (WHO) official said on Thursday.
- Multilateral cooperation in urgent need as global COVID-19 cases exceed 19 mln People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- The dire situation that global COVID-19 cases have topped 19 million has sounded a fresh alarm that the ravaging pandemic is far from withering away, and that the world is in urgent need of multilateral cooperation and global solidarity in combating the common enemy of humankind.
- Global COVID-19 cases surpass 19 mln -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Global COVID-19 cases surpassed 19 million on Thursday, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Global COVID-19 death toll surpasses 700,000: WHO People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- The COVID-19 death toll worldwide has surpassed 700,000, reaching 701,754 as of Thursday, according to the latest number from the World Health Organization (WHO).
- COVID-19 crisis poses "a host of new challenges" to national authorities: UN People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- The United Nations said on Thursday that the COVID-19 crisis poses "a host of new challenges" to national authorities and collective response efforts are needed.
- COVID-19: Lift sanctions 'bringing suffering and death', urge UN rights experts UN News 07 Aug 2020 -- A group of UN independent human rights experts have called on countries to lift – or at the very least, ease – sanctions to allow affected nations and communities access to vital supplies to fight against the global coronavirus pandemic.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 07 Aug 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces That, Based on Each Region's Infection Rate, Schools Across New York State are Permitted to Open This Fall New York State 07 Aug 2020
- US Tops 4.9 Million COVID Cases, More Than Any Other Country VOA 07 Aug 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases around the world continued its steady climb Friday with nearly 19.2 million infections recorded, according to Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. continued to have more cases than any place else with more than 4.9 million, followed by Brazil with 2.9 million and India with 2 million.
- More Than One-Third of Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine, Poll Finds Sputnik 07 Aug 2020 -- A new Gallup poll released Friday showed that 35% of Americans would be reluctant to get a dose of a COVID-19 vaccine currently, even if it had been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and was provided at no cost.
- US to Top 5 Million COVID-19 Cases as Model Forecasts Nearly 300,000 Deaths by December Sputnik 07 Aug 2020 -- The US has documented nearly 60,000 additional novel coronavirus cases so far on Friday, bringing the Land of the Free ever closer to topping 5 million cases, which health officials believe will happen by the end of the day.
- Ohio Governor's Second COVID-19 Test Comes Back Negative After Initial Positive Evaluation Sputnik 07 Aug 2020 -- The governor's first test came back positive just before his planned meeting with President Trump in Cleveland. The official took the test as part of the standard protocol required ahead of meetings with the US president.
- Trump says coronavirus vaccine possible before Nov. 3 Press TV 07 Aug 2020 -- President Donald Trump says that the United States would have a vaccine for the coronavirus before Nov. 3 election, a claim not supported by his own White House health experts.
- Americans suffer higher risk of dying from COVID-19: expert People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Americans suffer higher risk of dying from the coronavirus than people from any other country, a health expert has said.
- U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 160,000 -- Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- U.S. COVID-19 deaths have surpassed the 160,000 mark to reach 160,090 as of 21:48 p.m. local time on Thursday (0148 GMT Friday), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- U.S. conducts further clinical trial testing remdesivir for COVID-19 treatment People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced on Thursday the start of a randomized, controlled clinical trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of a treatment regimen consisting of the antiviral remdesivir plus the immunomodulator interferon beta-1a in COVID-19 patients.
- U.S. steps up clinical trials for COVID-19 treatment People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- The U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) announced on Thursday the start of a randomized, controlled clinical trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of a treatment regimen consisting of the antiviral remdesivir plus the immunomodulator interferon beta-1a in COVID-19 patients.
- HK to provide free COVID-19 testing to all residents Global Times 07 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong will provide free coronavirus tests for its 7.5 million residents taken on a voluntary basis starting in two weeks' time in collaboration with the central government, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor announced on Friday, as the city has been hit by a third wave of coronavirus cases.
- Schools in China to start new term as COVID-19 curve flattens Global Times 07 Aug 2020 -- Schools in China are about to welcome new and returning students when the fall term begins in about three weeks with strict epidemic control measures, including arranging for students to return in separate batches and at different time slots, the head of the Beijing Education Commission Wang Ning said on Wednesday.
- Hong Kong to launch massive COVID-19 testing People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said on Friday that a mass screening for COVID-19 will be launched and any resident can take the testing voluntarily.
- All COVID-19 patients from Beijing wholesale market outbreak cured People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- With the last patient discharged from hospital, all of the 335 people screened in new clusters of COVID-19 related to Beijing's Xinfadi wholesale farm produce market have been cured and discharged, according to the municipal health commission Friday.
- Beijing reports one new COVID-19 case People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Beijing reported one new COVID-19 case Thursday, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 37 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday that it received reports of 37 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Thursday, including 27 locally transmitted.
- COVID-19 vaccine production workshop passes biosafety inspection People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- A production workshop for inactivated COVID-19 vaccines in Beijing has passed biosafety inspection and is qualified for use, according to the China National Biotec Group (CNBG).
- HK expands free testing to speed up screening for COVID-19 in community People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Hong Kong announced Thursday a decision to expand its community testing scheme to more districts in a bid to screen COVID-19 patients faster, as another 95 cases were reported on Thursday, taking the total in Hong Kong to 3,849.
- Boris Johnson Hails UK COVID-19 Test and Trace System Despite Misses Sputnik 07 Aug 2020 -- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday described the National Health Service (NHS)´s coronavirus test and trace system as world-beating, despite the fact that recently released data showed that one out of five positive cases have not been reached.
- With Fastest Global COVID-19 Growth, India Races Past 2 Million Cases VOA 07 Aug 2020 -- With the fastest COVID-19 growth in the world, India has raced past 2 million cases, as public health experts warn that the pandemic in the world's second most populous country will not slow anytime soon.
- Health Ministry engages with Districts reporting Higher COVID-19 Mortality India PIB 07 Aug 2020 -- Those districts that are reporting COVID-19 mortality higher than the national and states' average are a cause of concern.
- For the 4th successive day, India tests more than 6 lakh samples in 24 hours India PIB 07 Aug 2020 -- In a testament to the consistent and coordinated efforts of the Centre and the State/UT governments, India continues its track record of testing more than 6 lakh COVID-19 samples each day for the fourth successive day.
- Recovery Rate climbs a new high of nearly 68% India PIB 07 Aug 2020 -- India continues on the path of COVID-19 management boosted by two significant achievements, continuously rising recovery rate among the COVID-19 patients and Case Fatality Rate that has remained much below the global average.
- India's COVID-19 cases cross 2-million mark People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- India's COVID-19 tally crossed 2 million mark on Friday, reaching 2,027,074, the federal health ministry said.
- India Exceeds 2 Million Coronavirus Cases SPA 07 Aug 2020 -- India reported Friday that its coronavirus cases have doubled in three weeks to over 2 million, a sign the world's second-most populous country is struggling to slow the spread of the virus, Kyodo reported.
- COVID-19 kills 156 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 07 Aug 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday that some 156 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 18,132.
- Health Ministry: Total Number of COVID-19 Recoveries Exceeds 248,000 Cases in Saudi Arabia SPA 07 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced here today that 1,567 new confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 285,793 cases, including 33,752 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Health Ministry Explains Covid-19 Home Quarantine Procedures SPA 07 Aug 2020 -- The Ministry of Health has explained the procedures that should be taken, in case of a family member being infected with the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19), and the home quarantine mechanism.
- U.S. lists Taiwan as very low-risk destination for COVID-19 CNA 07 Aug 2020 -- The United States on Thursday lifted an advisory that had warned its citizens against all international travel, and it placed Taiwan on a list of 13 destinations where the risk of COVID-19 transmission is "very low."
- Australia opens first face mask testing facility People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Australia's national science agency has opened the country's first accredited face mask testing facility to help in the fight against COVID-19.
- Strict coronavirus restrictions to cost Australian economy 8.6 bln USD: PM People's Daily 07 Aug 2020 -- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has described strict coronavirus restrictions put in place across Victoria as a "heavy blow" for the country.
- US, India record highest daily deaths, cases from coronavirus Press TV 07 Aug 2020 -- As the new coronavirus pandemic rages on to take a heavy toll across the globe, the United States and India have registered their record daily jump in deaths and infections respectively over the past months.
- Re-imposing curfew against pandemic not on Turkey's agenda: minister Global Times 07 Aug 2020 -- The Turkish government does not consider re-imposing curfews, the country's Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Thursday, while the number of COVID-19 cases in the country has recorded a rapid increase in the last week.
- Laos Tightens Border Controls as COVID Cases Surge in Vietnam Radio Free Asia 07 Aug 2020 -- Laos is tightening controls along its eastern border to prevent COVID-19 from entering with visitors from neighboring Vietnam, where cases of new infection have surged in recent days, Lao sources say.
- COVID-19 deaths in Brazil top 98,000 Global Times 07 Aug 2020 -- Brazil on Thursday recorded 1,237 new deaths from COVID-19 in the past 24 hours, bringing the national death toll to 98,493.
- COVID-19: Turkmen State Workers Ordered To Pay For Mandatory Coronavirus Tests RFE/RL 07 Aug 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 716,000, with 19.1 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- How Philippines Got Runaway COVID-19 Caseload, an Outlier in Asia VOA 07 Aug 2020 -- The Philippines has become a COVID-19 outlier in East Asia with a runaway caseload because initial stay-home orders ended early and people struggle to practice social distancing despite strict rules, local observers say.
- No Coronavirus Postponement And No Front-Runners So Far In Kyrgyz Elections RFE/RL 07 Aug 2020 -- The two-month countdown to Kyrgyzstan's parliamentary elections has started, and President Sooronbai Jeenbekov has been clear the elections will take place despite the huge problems the coronavirus is causing for the country.
- Somali Floods Displace Hundreds of Thousands, Raise Fears of Coronavirus Spread VOA 07 Aug 2020 -- Surging floodwaters in the southern regions of Somalia have driven more than 650,000 people to flee their homes this year. The U.N. refugee agency reports the flooding has caused food shortages, led to the outbreak of killer diseases and increased the risk of the coronavirus spreading in the country.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|