12 July 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Trump Says 240 Miles of Wall on Border With Mexico Complete Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- US President Donald Trump said last month that that the wall on the southern border has helped curb illegal immigration and the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 174 WHO 12 Jul 2020
- A taxing problem: how to ensure the poor and vulnerable don't shoulder the cost of the COVID-19 crisis UN News 12 Jul 2020 -- In the wake of the unprecedented COVID-19 crisis, tax systems should be reformed, and tax avoidance and evasion reduced, to ensure an economic recovery in which everyone pays their share, says the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 12 Jul 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 12 Jul 2020
- Florida Reports New Record With Over 15,000 New Coronavirus Cases VOA 12 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. state of Florida set a new record, reporting over 15,000 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in one day Sunday.
- US Education Chief Presses for Reopening of Schools Amid Pandemic VOA 12 Jul 2020 -- U.S. education chief Betsy DeVos on Sunday pressed local communities throughout the country to reopen schools with five-day-a-week, in-person instruction in the coming weeks, saying it was entirely safe even as the number of coronavirus cases surges to new highs.
- US Reports Record 66,528 Coronavirus Cases VOA 12 Jul 2020 -- The coronavirus continues its steady climb upward in some places around the world,
- Trump Wears Mask for First Time in Public During Visit to Military Hospital Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- The president travelled to Walter Reed National Military Medical Centre on Saturday, where wearing a mask is required when social distancing is not possible.
- In first, Trump dons masks in visit to military medical facility Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- President Trump wore a face mask during his visit to Walter Reed hospital on Saturday, marking the first time he has done so in front of cameras.
- US trapped in "dark Covid hole" with no plan to get out: media Global Times 12 Jul 2020 -- The United States is trapped in "a dark Covid hole" with "no plan to get out," the CNN said in a recent in-depth analysis.
- COVID-19 Updates: Florida Records Biggest Surge of New Cases Since Pandemic's Onset Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- Russia has registered 6,615 coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, taking the cumulative total to 727,162, the coronavirus response centre said on Sunday.
- HKU dismisses claim from former employee that China covered up coronavirus Global Times 12 Jul 2020 -- The University of Hong Kong (HKU) on Saturday dismissed accusations made by a former staff member who claimed that China had covered up the coronavirus. The university said the former employee who claimed to be "one of the first scientists to study the novel coronavirus" had actually never conducted related research in December and January and that her statement appears to resemble hearsay.
- Infection spike makes HK economic recovery uncertain: official Global Times 12 Jul 2020 -- A new spike in COVID-19 infections in Hong Kong has made the southern Chinese city's economic recovery uncertain, Hong Kong Financial Secretary Paul Chan Mo-po said Sunday, calling for flexible responses and confidence among its residents.
- HK 'needs more tests' to control third wave of pandemic Global Times 12 Jul 2020 -- Hong Kong's Center for Health Protection (CHP) reported 38 new COVID-19 cases as of Sunday afternoon with 30 locally transmitted and eight imported cases, bringing the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) to 1,470.
- Nicola Sturgeon hints at more border restrictions Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has suggested that further coronavirus-related restrictions could be placed on the Scotland-England border, but that these would be guided on risk as opposed to politics.
- Russia's Sechenov University Successfully Completes Trials of World's 1st COVID-19 Vaccine Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- The clinical trials of the world's first coronavirus vaccine on volunteers at the Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University have been successfully completed, Vadim Tarasov, the director of the Institute for Translational Medicine and Biotechnology, told Sputnik.
- Russia 'successfully completes' human testing of COVID-19 vaccine + World updates Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- A Russian research center says it has successfully completed the clinical trials of the world's first coronavirus vaccine on humans, and scientists in China and Thailand are also racing to start new phases in developing their own potential vaccines for COVID-19.
- India Records Highest Single-Day Spike, Pushing COVID-19 Tally to 849,553 Cases Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- At least eleven Indian states have imposed fresh restrictions and lockdowns since the central government relaxed a total lockdown to gradually reopen the economy. Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, and Delhi remain the worst-hit Indian states, with total cases reaching six digits.
- More than 5.3 lakh recover from COVID-19; active cases at 2.9 lakh India PIB 12 Jul 2020 -- Focussed and coordinated steps taken in tandem by the Centre along with the States/UTs through a 'Whole of Government' approach, bolstered by effective clinical management of COVID-19 after early detection and timely diagnosis has led to a consistent increase in the recovered cases.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan Visits Sardar Patel COVID Care Centre & Hospital at Chhattarpur India PIB 12 Jul 2020 -- Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, visited the Sardar Patel COVID Care Centre (SPCCC) at Chhattarpur, New Delhi here today and reviewed the status of COVID-19 management at the Centre. A 10,200-bedded "Sardar Patel COVID Care Centre" has been developed at Radha Soami Satsang Beas (RSSB) in Chhatarpur, Delhi as part of coordinated efforts of the Centre and Delhi Government to bolster the containment measures.
- Taiwan suspends consular services in India over COVID-19 concerns CNA 12 Jul 2020 -- Taiwan's representative office in India will suspend consular services from July 13-26 due to health concerns after the office recently received an application to enter Taiwan from an Indian national who tested positive for COVID-19.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 194 more in Iran IRNA 12 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 194 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 12,829.
- Leader urges Iranians to observe heath protocols as virus cases rise again Press TV 12 Jul 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has expressed deep regret over a spike in coronavirus infections, calling on Iranians to fully adhere to health guidelines in a bid to break the chain of the outbreak.
- Official Says Cheap Drug Sold As Remdesivir In Iran At 'Very High Prices' Radio Farda 12 Jul 2020 -- Iran's deputy health minister issued a warning Saturday that a cheap medication is mislabeled and sold as remdesivir in Iran at extremely high prices.
- Health Ministry: 2,779 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 1,742 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 12 Jul 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement here today that 2,779 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 232,259 cases, including 62,898 active cases undergoing treatment.
- Saudi Arabia: Our Efforts In Fighting Covid-19 Based on Human Rights Approach SPA 12 Jul 2020 -- The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia affirmed that its efforts to combat the novel coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic took place within the framework of a human rights-based approach of two parallel tracks; combating the epidemic and limiting its spread on the one hand, and addressing its impacts or the precautionary measures taken to limit its spread on human rights on the other hand.
- Egypt reports 912 new positive cases of coronavirus and 89 deaths SPA 12 Jul 2020 -- The Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population today reported 912 new positive cases of the Coronavirus and 89 deaths.
- Indonesia reports 1,681 newly-confirmed COVID-19 cases, 71 new deaths Global Times 12 Jul 2020 -- The COVID-19 cases in Indonesia rose by 1,681 within one day to 75,699, with the death toll adding by 71 to 3,606, Achmad Yurianto, a Health Ministry official, said at a press conference here on Sunday.
- Missing Mecca: Tajik Doctor Donates Her Precious Hajj Savings To Help Battle Coronavirus Back Home RFE/RL 12 Jul 2020 -- Shirin Nazirmadova, a doctor from southern Tajikistan, has been saving for years to afford the hajj pilgrimage that all able Muslims are required to make once in their lives.
- Brazil Sees over 1,000 New Coronavirus Deaths, Cases Top 1.8 mln SPA 12 Jul 2020 -- Brazil, the world's No. 2 coronavirus hotspot after the United States, recorded 1,071 new deaths from the outbreak on Saturday, with a total of 1,839,850 confirmed cases, Reuters quoted the Brazilian Health Ministry as saying.
- Palestinians Brace for COVID-19 Economic Ramifications as Gov't Mulls Reopening Amid Pandemic Spread Sputnik 12 Jul 2020 -- Just as in neighbouring Israel, which has recently seen a spike in COVID-19 cases, the Palestinian Authority is experiencing the same challenges. But unlike the Jewish state, where citizens are given social and medical assistance, PA residents, who don't have such support, are being asked to cope on their own.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|