11 July 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Trump Says Authorized Cyberattack on Russia's Internet Research Agency in 2018 Sputnik 11 Jul 2020 -- US President Donald Trump confirmed to The Washington Post that he had authorized a cyberattack on Russia's Internet Research Agency in 2018.
- U.S. Convicts Russian Hacker Nikulin Over Massive Data Breach RFE/RL 11 Jul 2020 -- A jury in San Francisco has convicted Russian citizen Yevgeny Nikulin over a series of hacks and cyberthefts eight years ago that targeted major U.S. social-media companies such as LinkedIn and Dropbox.
- USS Detroit Completes Historic Counter-Narcotics Deployment NNS 11 Jul 2020 -- The Freedom-variant littoral combat ship USS Detroit (LCS 7) returned to Mayport, Fla., July 11, following its maiden deployment to the U.S. 4th Fleet area of operations.
- 'Unknown pneumonia' in Kazakhstan likely COVID-19: WHO, Chinese experts Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- The "unknown pneumonia" reported in Kazakhstan is very likely the coronavirus, a World Health Organization (WHO) official and leading Chinese experts said after reports of a mystery "pneumonia" more deadly than the coronavirus caused concern that a new virus was emerging along China's northwest border.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 173 WHO 11 Jul 2020
- Massive fiscal response to COVID-19 pandemic pushes global public debt to record high level: IMF People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- The ongoing COVID-19 pandemic has already prompted an "unprecedented" fiscal policy response of close to 11 trillion U.S. dollars worldwide, pushing global public debt to reach record high level, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) said Friday.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 11 Jul 2020
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 11 Jul 2020
- U.S. CDC Reports 3,106,931 Coronavirus Cases SPA 11 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) today reported 3,106,931 cases of new coronavirus, an increase of 59,260 cases from its previous count, and said that the number of deaths had risen by 799 to 132,855, according to Reuters.
- COVID-19 Vaccine Faces Challenge of Confidence VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- The economy will not fully recover until a vaccine against COVID-19 is available, experts say.
- Pandemic Worsens in US VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- "Nobody is enjoying being locked at home. It is frustrating, it is challenging, but the strategy will be successful if we all play our part," Daniel Andrews, the premier of Australia's Victoria state said Saturday.
- Pandemic Worsens in US VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic continues to worsen in the United States. On Friday, the country reported more than 65,000 new infections, the latest in a number of record-breaking days.
- Trump Dons Mask to Visit Wounded US Troops at Military Hospital VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump put on a face mask Saturday for his visit with American service members at a military hospital outside Washington.
- Broad mask-wearing key to U.S. economic recovery from pandemic: Fed official Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- Broad mask-wearing will be key to ensuring a faster U.S. economic recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, a senior U.S. Federal Reserve official said Friday.
- Data on over 10,000 COVID-19 decedents in U.S. show majority aged over 65: CDC People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- Analysis of data for over 10,000 COVID-19 decedents in the United States found that a majority were aged over 65 years and most had underlying medical conditions, according to a report of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Friday.
- Past month of fighting against COVID-19 in Beijing a historical record: official Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- Saturday marks a month after the new outbreak of COVID-19 in Beijing which was first discovered at the Xinfadi wholesale market on June 11. The past month has witnessed an anti-epidemic campaign participated in by the entire city and its residents, as well as a month put aside for medical treatment of cases with the struggle surely being recorded in the history of Beijing, an official from the Beijing Municipal government said on Saturday.
- Beijing reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases for 5th consecutive day People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- Beijing reported no new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases Friday, the municipal health commission said Saturday.
- Chinese mainland reports no new domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Saturday that it received reports of two new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Friday, both imported.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported COVID-19 cases Friday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,964, the National Health Commission said Saturday.
- At 'wartime speed', China now leads in vaccine race PLA Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- China is forging ahead in the race to develop a vaccine to help control the COVID-19 pandemic, with Sinovac Biotech's experimental vaccine set to become the country's second and the world's third to enter final stage testing later this month, Reuters reported.
- WHO advance team leaves for China to probe into coronavirus origin Press TV 11 Jul 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has sent a team of experts to China to open an investigation into the origins of the novel coronavirus behind the COVID-19 pandemic, which has so far claimed the lives of more than 550,000 people across the globe.
- UK shuns EU's COVID-19 vaccine program People's Daily 11 Jul 2020 -- The UK will not join the European Union (EU)'s COVID-19 vaccine program because it will have no say on negotiations with vaccine suppliers or on prices, UK's ambassador to the EU Tim Barrow said Friday.
- Anti-Government Protesters Arrested in Serbia After Another Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- Serbian police said Saturday they arrested 71 people after violence erupted in Belgrade late Friday during a fourth night of anti-government protests triggered by another coronavirus lockdown.
- Russia Reports 6,611 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 11 Jul 2020 -- Russia on Saturday reported 6,611 new coronavirus cases, taking its nationwide tally of infections to 720,547, Reuters reported.
- COVID-19 cases surpass 800,000-mark in India, total deaths at 22,123 Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases surpassed the 800,000-mark in India on Saturday, reaching 820,916, even as the total deaths stood at 22,123, said the data released by the federal health ministry a short while ago.
- PM chaired review meeting on Covid-19 pandemic preparations India PIB 11 Jul 2020 -- Hon'ble Prime Minister, today reviewed the Covid 19 situationin the country. The review meeting was attended among others, by Hon'ble Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah, Union Health Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Member, NITI Aayog, Cabinet Secretary and other senior officials of Government of India.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 11 Jul 2020
- Recovered cases cross 5 lakhs; outnumber active cases by more than 2.31 lakhs India PIB 11 Jul 2020 -- A series of pro-active, pre-emptive and coordinated measures have been taken by the Centre and the State governments for containment and prevention of COVID-19.
- DCGI gives Nod for Restricted Emergency Use to Itolizumab for moderate to severe COVID-19 patients India PIB 11 Jul 2020 -- Itolizumab (rDNA origin), a monoclonal antibody which was already approved for severe chronic plaque psoriasis, has now been granted Restricted Emergency Use authorisation by the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) based on clinical trials data.
- Rouhani: Despite Rise in Iran's COVID-19 Cases, Economy Must Stay Open VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- Iran's economy must stay open despite a rise in the number of coronavirus infections, President Hassan Rouhani said Saturday. He called for a ban on large gatherings, such as at weddings and wakes, to limit the spread of the disease.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 188 more in Iran IRNA 11 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Saturday that some 188 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 12,635.
- Rouhani rules out lockdown, calls on Iranians to respect protocols Press TV 11 Jul 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran cannot afford to shut down its economy amid the most draconian US sanctions which are hampering the country's fight against the coronavirus outbreak.
- Iran's Rohani Calls For Temporary Ban On Weddings, Funerals As Coronavirus Cases Rise RFE/RL 11 Jul 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rohani called for large public gatherings such as weddings and funerals to be temporarily banned to slow a rise in coronavirus infections, but he shied away from recommending another round of curbs on economic activity.
- Health Ministry: 2,994 New Confirmed COVID-19 Cases, 2,370 Recoveries Reported, in Saudi Arabia SPA 11 Jul 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement here today that 2,994 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 229,480 cases, including 61,903 active cases undergoing treatment.
- State Emergency Anti-Epidemic Steps Taken in DPRK KCNA 11 Jul 2020 -- The DPRK has intensified the state emergency anti-epidemic work to prevent the inflow and spread of COVID-19, a worldwide pandemic, and ensure well-being of the people.
- Lebanon Records New Coronavirus Infection High SPA 11 Jul 2020 -- Lebanon's number of new coronavirus infections increased for a third consecutive day to a record 86, Reuters cited the government as saying on Saturday.
- For Brazil's Bolsonaro: A Week of Isolation, Hydroxychloroquine VOA 11 Jul 2020 -- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro spent his first week in isolation doing the things he'd scoffed at for months: wearing a face mask and practicing social distancing.
- Turkey reports 1,003 new COVID-19 cases, 210,965 in total Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- Turkey's COVID-19 cases increased by 1,003 on Friday, while the total cases climbed to 210,965, Turkish Health Minister Fahrettin Koca said.
- Number of COVID-19 infections rises to 326 in Myanmar Global Times 11 Jul 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 infection cases has risen to 326 as of Friday, according to latest figures by the Ministry of Health and Sports.
- Kyrgyz Chaos: Shortage Of Medics, Hospital Beds As COVID-19 Cases Skyrocket RFE/RL 11 Jul 2020 -- "When I was driving from one hospital to another with my sister in the car - who was struggling to breath - I felt like the loneliest person in the world," said Taalaybek Shaiymbekov about his 26-year-old sister, Kunduz.
- Philippines Confirms 12 New Coronavirus Deaths, 1,387 More Cases SPA 11 Jul 2020 -- The Philippines' health ministry on Saturday reported 12 new coronavirus deaths and 1,387 additional infections, Reuters reported.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|