02 July 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Colombia, US Seize Cocaine Valued at More Than $200 Million in Joint Operation VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- Colombia says it has seized more than 7.5 tons of cocaine worth $286 million in a joint operation with the United States.
- Taliban Dismiss Pentagon Report Claiming Movement Maintains Ties With Al-Qaeda Sputnik 02 Jul 2020 -- The Taliban* reject a report by the US Department of Defen?e saying that the Islamist movement still maintains ties with an affiliate of Al-Qaeda*, spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Thursday, accusing US military officials of continuing to "seek war in Afghanistan" for their own vested interests.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 164 WHO 02 Jul 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 02 July 2020 WHO 02 Jul 2020
- UN Security Council adopts resolution on immediate ceasefire in conflict zones Press TV 02 Jul 2020 -- The United Nations Security Council has unanimously passed a resolution calling for an immediate halt to conflicts worldwide in an attempt to facilitate the fight against the deadly coronavirus pandemic.
- UN Security Council adopts resolution on COVID-19 People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- The Security Council on Wednesday adopted a resolution on COVID-19, demanding a general and immediate cessation of hostilities in all situations on its agenda.
- COVID-19 fast becoming protection crisis, Guterres warns Security Council UN News 02 Jul 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic is "profoundly affecting" peace and security across the globe, the Secretary-General told the Security Council on Thursday, pressing the 15-member body to use its collective influence to protect the millions of people either trapped in, or fleeing conflict, and already facing acute vulnerabilities.
- UN Chief: COVID-19 a Challenge to Global Peace, Security VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres warned Thursday that the coronavirus pandemic is profoundly affecting peace and security worldwide.
- Worldwide COVID-19 situation varies, continuing fight urged People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- Countries around the world are facing varied COVID-19 situations as continuing fight and stronger responses from the international community are urged to tackle related challenges.
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 02 Jul 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 02 Jul 2020
- World Cannot Choose Between Economy and Saving Lives, Fauci Says VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- World leaders cannot choose between the economy and saving lives, the top U.S. infectious disease expert said.
- Press Briefing by Vice President Pence, Governor DeSantis of Florida, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force | Tampa, FL The White House 02 Jul 2020
- US Posts Another Single-Day Record of New Coronavirus Infections VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- For the first time since the novel coronavirus arrived in the United States, the nation has topped 50,000 new infections for a single day.
- Amid Record Daily New COVID Infections, Trump Says 'Millions of Lives' Saved VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- As the country continues to set daily records for new COVID-19 infections, U.S. President Donald Trump is again praising his administration's response to the pandemic, taking credit for saving "millions of lives."
- DOD Awards $13.5 Million Contract to Lydall, Inc. to Increase Domestic Production of Meltblown Filtration Media DoD 02 Jul 2020 -- On June 19, the Department of Defense, in coordination with the Department of Health and Human Services, signed a $13.5 million contract award with Lydall, Inc. to increase domestic capacity of meltblown filtration media.
- No Sign of Operations Tempo Slowing, National Guard Bureau Chief Says DoD News 02 Jul 2020 -- Some 120,000 members of the National Guard have responded this year to natural disasters – floods in Michigan, wildfires in Kansas and tornadoes in Tennessee, just to name a few; – and have participated in global military operations and responded to civil disturbances and to COVID-19, the chief of the National Guard Bureau said.
- DOD, Base Officials Closely Monitoring COVID-19 Situation DoD News 02 Jul 2020 -- Defense and local military officials are closely watching the COVID-19 situation and will make adjustments as needed, Defense Department officials told reporters at a Pentagon news conference.
- New study says US official tallies likely undercount deaths due to COVID-19 Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- Official tallies of deaths due to COVID-19 in the United States underestimated the full increase in deaths associated with the pandemic in many states, according to a new study published on Wednesday.
- Fed officials discuss risks of additional COVID-19 waves on U.S. economy: minutes People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- U.S. Federal Reserve officials last month discussed the risks of additional waves of COVID-19 outbreaks on the U.S. economy as states continued reopening efforts, according to the minutes of the Fed's latest policy meeting released Wednesday.
- U.S. Florida adds over 6,500 new cases of COVID-19 amid surging positive rate People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- The southeastern U.S. state of Florida on Wednesday reported 6,563 new cases of COVID-19 with the positive test rate topping 15 percent, local media reported.
- US states halt reopenings as coronavirus resurges Press TV 02 Jul 2020 -- Governors of several US states have halted or rolled back steps to reopen their economies due to resurgence in coronavirus cases, although President Donald Trump insisted that the pandemic nears its end across the country.
- UPDATE: The United States Continues to Lead the Global Response to COVID-19 US Dept. of State 02 Jul 2020 -- The U.S. Government leads the globe with $12.5 billion allocated to benefit international COVID-19 response, including commitments for the development of vaccines and therapeutics, preparedness efforts, and foreign assistance.
- Remarks by Vice President in Briefing with Governor DeSantis of Florida on COVID-19 The White House 02 Jul 2020
- Suspected COVID-19 patient triggers closure of shopping mall in Beijing Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- A shopping mall in Beijing's Shijingshan district was shortly closed for sanitation work on Thursday after a customer said she tested positive for COVID-19, triggering widespread fear among Beijing residents.
- COVID-19 vaccine development lab, production department completed in Wuhan Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- China's first COVID-19 vaccine development lab and the only vaccine producing department at P3 level in Central China were completed in Wuhan, Hubei Province, on Wednesday, with the ability to produce about 100 million doses of vaccine per year.
- China suspends imports from meat processors in Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Canada and the Netherlands over coronavirus concerns Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- China customs said on Thursday that several meat processors in Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Canada and the Netherlands have suspended exports to China since late June, a move which industry insiders said represents part of Beijing's strengthened measures on frozen imports as more cluster infection cases emerged in food processing factories overseas.
- Beijing reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- Beijing reported one new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 case on Wednesday, the municipal health commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- No newly confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected cases of COVID-19 were reported in central China's Hubei Province Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- 8 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- Eight COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported COVID-19 cases Wednesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,920, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of three newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, of which one was domestically transmitted.
- Chinese military provides supplies to help militaries of five countries combat COVID-19 PLA Daily 02 Jul 2020 -- The Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) has sent COVID-19 prevention and control supplies including protection clothing and surgical masks to five countries at the request of their military forces.
- Belgium enters Phase 4 of de-confinement measures Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- Belgium entered Phase 4 of de-confinement measures on July 1, as announced by Prime Minister Sophie Wilmes on June 24.
- MOD delivers 10,000 items of critical medical equipment to NHS UK MOD 02 Jul 2020 -- The DE&S Logistics Delivery Operating Centre at MOD Donnington have coordinated the delivery of over 10,000 pieces of critical medical equipment.
- National Care Association: wrong face mask advice given at height of pandemic Press TV 02 Jul 2020 -- The government stands accused of dereliction of duty and putting lives at risk through issuing false reassurance to care homes about out-of-date PPE at the height of the pandemic.
- French Coronavirus Death Toll Rises by 14 to 29,875 SPA 02 Jul 2020 -- The number of deaths in France from the new coronavirus has risen by 14 from the previous day to 29,875, Reuters quoted the country's health department as saying today. The number of people in hospital fell by 188 to 8,148 and the number of people in intensive care units fell by nine to 573, with both numbers continuing weeks-long downtrends.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 02 Jul 2020
- Removal of obstructions paves the way for ramped up COVID-19 testing India PIB 02 Jul 2020 -- The total number of people being tested for COVID-19 tests in the country will soon touch one crore.
- ASHAs of Odisha: overcoming COVID related stigma and discrimination India PIB 02 Jul 2020 -- More than 46,000 ASHAs working closely with local communities to fight COVID-19
- COVID-19 kills 148 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 02 Jul 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Wednesday that some 148 more Iranians have died from coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 11,106.
- Tokyo Sees Biggest COVID-19 Surge in 2 Months VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- Officials in Japan's capital Thursday reported 107 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, the highest one-day total for the region in two months.
- Spokesperson of Health Ministry: 3,383 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 02 Jul 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Spokesperson of the Health Ministry Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali said in a statement today that 3,383 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 197,608 cases, including 58,187 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 2,287 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- Saudi Payments Measures Helped Saudi Society Adapt to COVID-19 SPA 02 Jul 2020 -- Saudi Payments, wholly owned subsidiary of the Saudi Arabian Monetary Authority (SAMA), highlighted during the COVID-19 pandemic the importance of the concept of electronic payment and spreading its culture in the society.
- Taiwan adjusts rules on COVID-19 testing of foreign travelers CNA 02 Jul 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Thursday slightly relaxed its regulations on the timeframe for COVID-19 testing of foreign nationals traveling to Taiwan.
- Taiwanese man tests positive for COVID-19 on return from Mexico CNA 02 Jul 2020 -- A Taiwanese man was confirmed Thursday as the country's 448th COVID-19 case, two days after he returned from Mexico, where he works, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- North Korea Traders Chafe as Reopening of China Border Put Off on New COVID-19 Fears Radio Free Asia 02 Jul 2020 -- North Korea has pushed back its timeline for reopening border trade with China over concerns about new coronavirus cases in nearby northeastern Chinese provinces, trade sources in the country told RFA as they braced for more lean times.
- Coronavirus response: Turkey delivers critical aid to Iraq NATO 02 Jul 2020 -- On 30 June 2020, as part of Allied support in response to COVID-19, Turkey delivered critical medical supplies to the Iraqi people as a sign of solidarity between two neighbouring countries.
- How Extremist Groups Are Reacting to COVID-19 VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- In Nigeria, Boko Haram's leader has called it part of the "global war" against Islam. In Iraq and Syria, Islamic State leaders say it's punishment for "crusaders," at the same time Iran-backed Shiite militias hand out public health information and free face masks.
- UN Peacekeepers Test Positive for Coronavirus in South Sudan VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- The top United Nations official in South Sudan says 57 workers with the U.N. mission there have tested positive for COVID-19 since April.
- WHO Urges African Countries Resuming Air Travel to Take Safety Measures VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- The World Health Organization called on African countries Thursday to take comprehensive safety measures to "mitigate a surge" in COVID-19 cases, as nations resume air travel.
- More sectors reopened in Malaysia Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- Malaysia reported no new COVID-19 local transmissions on Wednesday. More sectors are reopened, including spas and massage centers, cinemas, theatres, indoor live events and swimming pool activities. Government and private preschools and kindergartens have also reopened.
- Peru reports nearly 288,500 COVID-19 cases Global Times 02 Jul 2020 -- Peru reported on Wednesday 288,477 COVID-19 infections after testing detected 3,264 new cases in the previous 24 hours, and the death toll rose to 9,860, said the Health Ministry.
- COVID-19: Kazakh Ex- President Reportedly Cured Days Before 80th Birthday As Restrictions Reimposed RFE/RL 02 Jul 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is over 510,000, with more than 10.7 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- Surge In COVID-19 Cases Forces Central Asian Countries To Reverse Reopenings RFE/RL 02 Jul 2020 -- Only weeks after emerging from lengthy lockdowns that battered their fragile economies, an upsurge in coronavirus infections in Central Asia has forced officials to reimpose restrictions that will close businesses and leave people jobless.
- Indonesia to Produce COVID Vaccine for Its Own Exclusive Use VOA 02 Jul 2020 -- Indonesia will be producing a coronavirus vaccine for itself due to concerns about global distribution of foreign-produced vaccines, the head of Indonesia's national COVID-19 research team announced Thursday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|