28 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Iran Would Be 'Arms Dealer of Choice' for Terrorists, if UN Embargo Expires, US Expert Says VOA 28 Jun 2020 -- Iran would become the "arms dealer of choice" for terrorists if a U.N. weapons embargo is allowed to expire, a senior U.S. official says.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 160 WHO 28 Jun 2020
- Global COVID-19 Infections Reach 10 Million Mark VOA 28 Jun 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 infections around the world has passed the 10 million mark, with nearly 500,000 deaths, Johns Hopkins University reported Sunday.
- World updates: 10 million-plus infected with coronavirus, almost 500K dead Press TV 28 Jun 2020 -- Global coronavirus cases have now passed the 10 million mark, and related fatalities have approached 500,000, according to a Reuters tally.
- Economic recovery in doubt as cases top 10m Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Global economic recovery is facing an uphill struggle as the number of COVID-19 confirmed cases surpassed 10 million, 2.5 million of which are in the US, the highest of any nation.
- Governor Cuomo Announces Lowest COVID-19 Deaths and Hospitalizations in New York Since the Pandemic Began New York State 28 Jun 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 28 Jun 2020
- California Closing Bars as Coronavirus Infection Spreads, Governor Newsom Says Sputnik 28 Jun 2020 -- Bars in the US state of California are being closed amid a rise in the number of coronavirus cases, Governor Gavin Newsom has announced.
- Remarks by Vice President Pence in a Briefing on COVID-19 | Dallas, TX The White House 28 Jun 2020
- Pence Blames Younger People for Increase in US Coronavirus Cases VOA 28 Jun 2020 -- U.S. Vice President Mike Pence on Sunday mostly blamed young people ignoring precautions to prevent the spread of coronavirus for the sharp increase in recent days of the number of confirmed cases in the country.
- Many U.S. states halt reopening amid sudden surge of COVID-19 infections People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Many states in the United States have moved to halt or backtrack their economic reopening following a sudden surge of new COVID-19 infections this week.
- Rapid spread of COVID-19 in U.S. Texas continues People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- U.S. state of Texas announced on Saturday more than 5,700 new COVID-19 cases, according to the Texas Health and Human Services.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases surpass 2.5 mln - Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States topped 2.5 million on Saturday, reaching 2,500,419 as of 4:35 p.m. (2035 GMT), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Up to 20m in US may be infected with virus People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The actual number of people in the United States infected with the novel coronavirus could be over 20 million, nearly 10 times higher than what has been recorded, according to a new estimate from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. On Thursday, some states paused reopening as the number of COVID-19 cases surge.
- Florida's coronavirus crisis deepens as state shatters daily case record People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Florida and four other states recorded daily highs for cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, highlighting the worsening spread of the coronavirus in parts of the U.S. South and West, prompting some officials to roll back their reopening plans.
- 43% of US coronavirus fatalities linked to nursing homes: Report Press TV 28 Jun 2020 -- At least 54,000 residents and workers have lost their lives due to the new coronavirus pandemic at nursing homes and other long-term care facilities for the elderly in the United States, according to a report.
- Xinfadi's beef and lamb market labelled as 'extremely high risk area' Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- A total of 102 cases out of all 311 confirmed cases in Beijing were related to Xinfadi's beef and lamb market, thus the area was labelled by health experts as extremely high risk with another 14-day quarantine being imposed on people who are connected to this specially designated area.
- Disobeying COVID-19 prevention measures to be made illegal Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- China is mulling an amendment to the country's criminal law that would criminalize activities that impede measures aimed at preventing the spread of the coronavirus, according to media reports.
- Beijing reports COVID-19 infection chains at 2 restaurants Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing registered 14 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on Sunday, two of which are employees at two diners in the city's Haidian and Fengtai districts and both are related to previous cases detected in the diners, according to an official from the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control (Beijing CDC).
- 7.68 million people received nucleic acid testing in Beijing: health authority Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing had taken samples from 8.29 million of its residents as of Sunday, of which 7.68 million completed nucleic acid testing, meaning that 38.4 percent of the capital's total population has been tested for coronavirus.
- The hybrid testing modes do not impact the sensitivity of COVID-19 nucleic acid tests: national health authority Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- China's national health authority said the country's "hybrid test" method, used throughout Wuhan and in Beijing's large-scale COVID-19 screening sites, should not impact the sensibility of the tests.
- Xiongan New Area locks down county amid COVID-19 resurgence in Beijing Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Xiongan New Area has announced to lock down a county amid COVID-19 resurgence in Beijing.
- Chinese company unveils positive results of COVID-19 vaccines Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- An institute of biological products in Beijing affiliated with the China National Pharmaceutical Group (Sinopharm) announced on Sunday that it had achieved positive results for a COVID-19 vaccine candidate it developed.
- Beijing tests 100, 000 students and faculty in 36 hours Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- More than 100,000 students, faculty and staff at Beijing's universities will have competed nucleic acid testing on Sunday, after a widespread COVID-19 testing operation was conducted within 36 hours, involving 20 medical institutions.
- Beijing issues fresh guidelines on COVID-19 prevention Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese capital has issued fresh guidelines on COVID-19 containment, calling on its residents to continue to wear masks, maintain social distancing and wash hands frequently.
- Beijing reports 14 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 14 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and three asymptomatic cases Saturday, the municipal health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported three new imported COVID-19 cases Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,902, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Seven COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Seven COVID-19 patients were discharged from hospitals after recovery on the Chinese mainland Saturday, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 17 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday it received reports of 17 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Saturday, including 14 domestically transmitted and three imported ones.
- Beijing issues fresh guidelines on COVID-19 prevention People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese capital has issued fresh guidelines on COVID-19 containment, calling on its residents to continue to wear masks, maintain social distancing and wash hands frequently.
- EU poised to bar U.S. travelers as bloc reopens in July: media People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The European Union (EU) plans to bar travelers from the United States and some other countries where the COVID-19 outbreak has not been effectively controlled as the bloc will reopen in July, U.S. media reported Friday.
- UK COVID-19 deaths hit 43,514 as another 100 patients die Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Another 100 COVID-19 patients have died in Britain as of Friday afternoon, bringing the total coronavirus-related death toll in the country to 43,414, the British Department of Health and Social Care said Saturday.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 28 Jun 2020
- COVID-19 kills another 144 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 28 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Sunday that some 144 more Iranians have died of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 10,508.
- President Rouhani says wearing masks will become mandatory in public places Press TV 28 Jun 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says wearing masks will become mandatory as of July 5 in all places of public gathering that have been declared high-risk by the Health Ministry.
- Iran To Require The Wearing Of Masks At Indoor Gatherings RFE/RL 28 Jun 2020 -- Iran has announced that it will make the wearing of masks mandatory at indoor gathering places as the number of coronavirus fatalities recorded in a single day rose by the highest number in nearly three months.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 3,989 New Confirmed Cases of COVID-19 Reported, Recoveries up to 124,755, in Saudi Arabia SPA 28 Jun 2020 -- The Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulali announced during a press conference here today that 3,989 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, raising the total number to 182,493 cases, including 56,187 active cases undergoing medical treatment against 2,277 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- MoH Conducts over 1.5 Million Coronavirus Lab Tests SPA 28 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health (MoH) has doubled the number of tests for the novel Coronavirus (Covid-19). Since the outbreak of the virus in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the number of daily examinations was approximately 1,000, every day, as it now stands at 45,000 tests.
- Saudi Human Resources Ministry Announces Administrative Violations of Precautionary Measures to Counter of Covid-19 SPA 28 Jun 2020 -- The Saudi Ministry of Human Resources and Social Development has announced the document of administrative violations of precautionary measures to counter the spread of "COVID-19" in various government agencies for the safety of citizens and residents.
- Brazil Coronavirus Cases Rise Past 1.3 Million, Deaths Total 57,070 SPA 28 Jun 2020 -- Brazil recorded 38,693 new cases of the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours and 1,109 additional deaths, Reuters quoted the Brazilian Health Ministry as saying today.
- Egypt confirms 1,168 new COVID-19 infections, 88 deaths Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Egypt reported 1,168 COVID-19 cases on Saturday, bringing the total infections to 63,923, according to Egyptian health ministry.
- Singaporean PM calls for coordinated global response against COVID-19 pandemic Global Times 28 Jun 2020 -- Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday that a global pandemic requires a coordinated global response, especially in scientific research and government actions.
- Chile reports 267,766 cases of COVID-19, with 5,347 deaths People's Daily 28 Jun 2020 -- The Chilean Ministry of Health raised on Saturday the number of confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus to 267,766, with 5,347 deaths.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|