26 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Pakistan Sentences 5 Men for al-Qaida Links VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- A court in Pakistan Friday convicted and sentenced five men for being members of al-Qaida and supporting terrorism.
- US Says Iran Has Not Taken Sufficient Steps To Eliminate Human Trafficking Radio Farda 26 Jun 2020 -- In its latest annual report on human trafficking, the U.S. State Department said on Thursday that Iran will remain on tier 3 of the U.S. list of human trafficking because it does not fully meet the minimum standards for the elimination of trafficking and is not making significant efforts to do so.
- HK govt objects US human trafficking report, calling it groundless, illogical Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The government of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region (SAR) issued a strong-worded statement on Friday in response to the Trafficking in Persons Report by the US, calling the report "based on hearsays" and "illogical."
- Russian National Pleads Guilty for Role in Transnational Cybercrime Organization Responsible for more than $568 Million in Losses US Dept. of Justice 26 Jun 2020 -- One of the leaders of the Infraud Organization pleaded guilty today to RICO conspiracy. Infraud was an Internet-based cybercriminal enterprise engaged in the large-scale acquisition, sale, and dissemination of stolen identities, compromised debit and credit cards, personally identifiable information, financial and banking information, computer malware, and other contraband.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 158 WHO 26 Jun 2020
- WHO Press Conference on ACT-Accelerator - 26 June 2020 WHO 26 Jun 2020
- Global partners require $31 billion to speed up COVID-19 medicines for all UN News 26 Jun 2020 -- More than $31 billion is needed over the next 12 months to develop medicines that will be effective against COVID-19, and make them available to all people, the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners said on Friday.
- WHO Calls for Billions to Combat Coronavirus VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization needs more than $30 billion over the next year to develop and produce COVID-19 tests, vaccines and other treatments, the organization said Friday.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces New York State to Assist States with High Infection Rates New York State 26 Jun 2020
- Governor Cuomo Details NYS Department of Health's Investigation into Two COVID-19 Clusters in Upstate New York New York State 26 Jun 2020
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo on White House Response to COVID-19 Pandemic: 'Where Was the National Strategy? Where Was the National Leadership? It Did Not Exist. And to The Extent It Did, It Was Wrong and That Is What They Are Going to Have to New York State 26 Jun 2020
- Governor Cuomo Announces New York State to Assist States with High Infection Rates New York State 26 Jun 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 26 Jun 2020
- New Coronavirus Infections in US Near Record High VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- The number of new single-day coronavirus infections in the U.S. is near record highs as the government revealed more than 20 million people in the U.S. could have contracted the virus.
- 20-30% of US population may potentially be infected in one year: researcher Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- Chinese scientists predicted that 20-30 percent of the US population may potentially be infected in one year as the US recorded the highest single day spike in COVID-19 infections on Thursday and its CDC chief said coronavirus cases may be 10 times higher than reported.
- US confirms daily record of nearly 40,000 new coronavirus cases Press TV 26 Jun 2020 -- The United States has confirmed a daily record of nearly 40,000 new coronavirus cases, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University (JHU).
- Florida Bans On-site Drinking at Bars as COVID-19 Numbers Spike VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. state of Florida has banned consumption of alcohol at its bars just minutes after the state health department reported a record 8,942 new confirmed COVID-19 cases in one day.
- White House Asks Supreme Court to Strike Down Obamacare Amid Pandemic VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- The U.S. coronavirus task force is expected to hold a public briefing Friday. Vice President Mike Pence will lead the session, the first public briefing in nearly two months.
- Two of Beijing's COVID-19 cases infected from a public toilet Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- Two people infected with COVID-19 confirmed on June 20 did not go to Xinfadi market's surrounding area, but instead contracted the virus using a public toilet, BTV reported on Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,895, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- WHO warns of 'significant resurgence' of coronavirus in Europe Press TV 26 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has warned about a "significant resurgence" of cases of the new coronavirus in nearly a dozen European nations, saying the risk of another outbreak has now become a "reality."
- MOD negotiates 10 billion PPE items UK MOD 26 Jun 2020 -- Over the last 12 weeks a dedicated team fronted by MOD experts have negotiated contracts for more than 10 billion items of PPE for NHS workers in the battle against Covid-19.
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 26 Jun 2020
- Recovered cases exceed active cases by more than 96,000 India PIB 26 Jun 2020 -- The graded, pre-emptive and pro-active steps taken by Government of India along with the States/UTs for prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 are showing encouraging results.
- COVID-19 kills another 109 Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 26 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday that 109 more Iranians have died of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 10,239.
- Iran Health Official Says Up To 20 Percent In Tehran Contracted Coronavirus Radio Farda 26 Jun 2020 -- Alireza Zali, Chief of Coronavirus Combat Headquarters of Tehran, has said Friday studies show that between 14 to 20 percent of the residents of the Iranian capital have already contracted the coronavirus.
- Health Ministry: 3,938 New Confirmed Cases Reported, Tally of Recoveries Jumped to 120,471, in Saudi Arabia SPA 26 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health announced in a statement here today that 3,938 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported, in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 174,577 cases, including 52,632 active cases undergoing medical treatment against 2,273 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable.
- No spread of infection by COVID-19-positive Japanese student: CECC CNA 26 Jun 2020 -- Over 100 people who came in contact with a Japanese student in Taiwan later confirmed to have COVID-19 have all tested negative for the disease, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) Friday.
- Brazilian President Bolsonaro Reportedly Says He Might Have Contracted COVID-19 Sputnik 26 Jun 2020 -- In mid-March, Jair Bolsonaro claimed that he had tested negative for COVID-19, urging people not to believe "the fake news of media", which earlier reported that his coronavirus test was positive.
- Brazil Opens Drive-in to Help People Cope With COVID-19 VOA 26 Jun 2020 -- Brazil has converted a football (soccer) stadium into a drive-in movie theater, its latest effort to lift national morale as the country struggles with the coronavirus pandemic.
- COVID-19 cases surpass 130,000 in Bangladesh, deaths reach 1,661 Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 infections in Bangladesh totaled over 130,000 while fatalities stood at 1,661 on Friday.
- Morocco confirms 431 new COVID-19 infections, 11,338 in total Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- Morocco on Thursday announced 431 new COVID-19 infections, raising the total number of confirmed cases in the North African country to 11,338.
- China donates COVID-19 protective facilities to Tanzanian schools Global Times 26 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Tanzania on Thursday donated COVID-19 protective facilities to 100 primary and secondary schools in the country's Dar es Salaam Region.
- Netanyahu says Israel, UAE to cooperate on coronavirus as normalization speeds up Press TV 26 Jun 2020 -- Prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are set to publicly announce cooperation over what he described as the fight against the novel coronavirus, amid attempts by a number of Arab countries to normalize diplomatic relations with the Tel Aviv regime.
- COVID-19: Kyrgyzstan Won't Reimpose State Of Emergency RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is over 490,000, with more than 9.6 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the respiratory illness.
- Tajikistan's Official Coronavirus Stats Don't Reflect Reality, RFE/RL Investigation Finds RFE/RL 26 Jun 2020 -- An investigation by RFE/RL indicates that Tajikistan's official death toll from COVID-19 doesn't reflect the reality and is significantly lower than the data published by local activists.
- Indonesia Reports 1,240 New Coronavirus Cases, 63 New Deaths SPA 26 Jun 2020 -- Indonesia reported 1,240 new coronavirus infections on Friday, taking the total number of cases to 51,427, Reuters reported.
- Syrians 'face unprecedented hunger amid impending COVID crisis' UN News 26 Jun 2020 -- Syrian communities devastated by years of civil war now face an "unprecedented" hunger crisis, just as urgent action is needed to prevent COVID-19 from spreading, UN humanitarians said on Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|