22 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- U.S. Army Soldier Charged with Terrorism Offenses for Planning Deadly Ambush on Service Members in His Unit US Dept. of Justice 22 Jun 2020 -- U.S. Army Private Ethan Melzer Sent Sensitive U.S. Military Information to Members of a Neo-Nazi Group in an Attempt to Facilitate a "Mass Casualty" Attack on Melzer's Army Unit
- US Soldier Charged With Plotting Deadly Attack on Own Unit VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- A U.S. Army soldier has been charged with plotting a mass attack on his unit by sending sensitive military information to an occult-based white supremacist group, the Justice Department announced Monday.
- Two Defendants In Russian 'Network' Case Receive Lengthy Prison Terms RFE/RL 22 Jun 2020 -- Two Russian activists from a group known as Set (Network) have received lengthy prison terms on charges of being members of a terrorist group that planned to overthrow the country's authorities.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 154 WHO 22 Jun 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 22 June 2020 WHO 22 Jun 2020
- WHO Chief Says 'Politicization' of Pandemic Hurting Global Efforts VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- The head of the World Health Organization said Monday the coronavirus pandemic is being politicized and that a lack of global leadership to fight the virus is a bigger threat than the virus itself.
- WHO reports largest single day increase in COVID-19 cases UN News 22 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) reported the largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases over the course of Sunday, registering more than 183,000 new infections in 24 hours, bringing the total to some 8.8 million cases worldwide, with more than 465,000 deaths.
- Coronavirus pandemic exacerbated by politicization: WHO Press TV 22 Jun 2020 -- The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO) says the global coronavirus pandemic has been exacerbated by politicization, stressing that the world can only be able to overcome the deadly virus by maintaining unity.
- COVID-19 updates: WHO reports record daily rise in cases; global infections pass 8.9mn Press TV 22 Jun 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has reported the largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases, since the pandemic started around the globe early this year.
- Poverty Dramatically Increases COVID-19 Death Risk, Researchers Say VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- The probability of death from COVID-19 increases dramatically with increasing poverty because of underlying inequalities in society in many poorer countries, according to researchers from Imperial College London.
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 22 Jun 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 22 Jun 2020
- Undersecretary of Defense (A&S) and CEO of IDFC Sign Memorandum of Agreement DoD 22 Jun 2020 -- Undersecretary Of Defense For Acquisition And Sustainment Ellen M. Lord; Adam Boehler, CEO, U.S. International Development Finance Corporation
- DOD Official Details COVID-19 Mitigation Efforts DoD News 22 Jun 2020 -- Since January, when the effects of COVID-19 started to be felt in the United States, the Defense Department's priority has been to protect the more than 3 million service members, their families and all DOD civilians and contractors, while continuing the national security mission, said a top DOD official.
- Readout from the Vice President's Governors Briefing on COVID-19 Response & Recovery The White House 22 Jun 2020
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 22 Jun 2020
- Governor Cuomo Updates New Yorkers on State's Progress During COVID-19 Pandemic New York State 22 Jun 2020
- DOD, DFC Sign Memorandum of Agreement on Defense Production Act DoD 22 Jun 2020 -- Today, U.S. Department of Defense Under Secretary for Acquisition and Sustainment Ellen M. Lord and U.S. International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) Chief Executive Officer Adam Boehler signed a memorandum of agreement.
- DOD Partners With DFC to Protect Industrial Base From Economic Effect of Pandemic DoD News 22 Jun 2020 -- The Defense Department and the U.S. International Development Finance Corporation today signed a joint memorandum of agreement to spend $100 million of the department's Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act money to subsidize federal loans to create, maintain, protect, expand and restore domestic industrial-based capabilities to support the national COVID-19 response.
- COVID-19 cases surge in several U.S. states as reopening efforts continue People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- Several U.S. states have seen an uptick in COVID-19 cases as businesses continue to resume operations across the nation, casting a shadow over the current path to reopening.
- California records highest single-day spike in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases has totaled 173,324 in the U.S. state of California as it recorded its highest single-day spike in coronavirus infections on Sunday.
- NYC Reopens Stores, Outdoor Dining After Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- For the first time in more than three months, New Yorkers can go shopping, dine outside and get haircuts, as the city lifted more coronavirus restrictions.
- White House Downplays Rising US Coronavirus Rates VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- The White House is downplaying the rising number of cases of the coronavirus in the United States.
- China's Virus Tracking Technology Sparks Privacy Concerns VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- While battling a new cluster of COVID-19 infections, authorities in Beijing have been quick to make use of geo-spatial information, collected through mobile tracking devices in people's smartphones to identify and isolate potential virus carriers.
- Beijing outbreak to ease this week Global Times 22 Jun 2020 -- Experts estimated the COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing will ease this week after the capital reported nine new cases on Sunday, the first time the city's daily new cases fell to single digits since June 12.
- Dominant global viral strain found in Beijing cases Global Times 22 Jun 2020 -- The coronavirus mutation discovered to be currently dominating the world has been pinpointed as the cause of the latest COVID-19 outbreak in Beijing, which experts say indicates that the virus was imported from outside China.
- Beijing epidemic not second outbreak, cases likely to drop: top expert Global Times 22 Jun 2020 -- Yang Gonghuan, former vice director of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told the Global Times on Monday that the recent spike in COVID-19 cases in Beijing is on a small scale and not the start of second wave of the epidemic, adding that the cases will continue to decline.
- Tianjin hotel staff gets novel coronavirus from asymptomatic chef: local CDC Global Times 22 Jun 2020 -- Public fear over the mysterious COVID-19 infection case in North China's Tianjin was dispelled after the source of his infection was identified. But experts warned that the novel coronavirus threatens epidemiological investigations.
- Over 40 mysterious respiratory deaths in California could rewrite narrative of COVID-19: report Global Times 22 Jun 2020 -- More than 40 California deaths are waiting for a decision by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on whether to test for COVID-19, and any positive finding among them "could dramatically rewrite the narrative of COVID-19" in the country, the Los Angeles Times reported Sunday.
- Shanghai reports 3 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- Shanghai reported three new imported COVID-19 cases and no increase in locally transmitted cases on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- No newly confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 18 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 18 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, of whom 11 were domestically transmitted and seven were imported.
- Chinese mainland reports 7 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported seven new imported COVID-19 cases Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,876, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Hebei reports 2 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- North China's Hebei Province reported two new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Beijing reports 9 newly confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported nine newly confirmed domestically-transmitted COVID-19 cases, two suspected cases and five asymptomatic cases Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- Beijing doubles daily nucleic acid testing capacity to over 230,000 People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The daily nucleic acid testing capacity of Beijing had surged from 100,000 to more than 230,000 as of Saturday amid efforts to contain the resurgence of domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases.
- Coronavirus Outbreak Threatens Germany's 'Local' Lockdown Strategy RFE/RL 22 Jun 2020 -- There's been a huge COVID-19 outbreak in Germany in the cramped company-provided housing for Romanian and Bulgarian slaughterhouse workers.
- UK Interior Minister Says Reading Attacker Acted Alone Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- Earlier, police said that they were treating the stabbing attack in Reading, which claimed the lives of three people, as a terrorist attack.
- UK Gov't Urged to Ensure Capacity to Deal with Second Surge of COVID-19 to Avoid 'Swamping' NHS Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- As new infections and fatalities have fallen in many countries that have passed the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic, governments have been unwinding some of the rigid lockdown restrictions introduced to stop the spread of the virus, with some health experts voicing concerns regarding a possible second wave of infections in the fall or winter.
- Russia Reports 7,600 New Coronavirus Infections SPA 22 Jun 2020 -- Russia on Monday reported 7,600 new cases of the coronavirus, pushing its nationwide case total to 592,280, the world's third largest tally, Reuters reported.
- COVID-19 Updates India PIB 22 Jun 2020
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 22 Jun 2020
- With COVID-19 Cases Spiralling in Delhi, Expert Group Calls for Serological Survey to Gauge Surge Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- The burden of COVID-19 has been spiralling unabated in India's national capital, and following media reports, the Supreme Court of India has termed the situation in Delhi as "horrendous, horrific and pathetic."
- COVID-19 kills 119 more Iranians over past 24 hours: Official IRNA 22 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Monday that some 119 more Iranians have died of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours.
- Ministry of Hajj and Umrah: Hajj 1441H Is Decided to Take Place This Year with Limited Number of Pilgrims from All Nationalities Residing in Saudi Arabia SPA 22 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Hajj and Umrah issued the following statement today:
- Saudi Arabia Bans Overseas Pilgrimage to Mecca, Medina Over Coronavirus Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- Saudi Arabia made the decision to restrict this year's hajj, or pilgrimage to the sacred Islamic cities of Mecca and Medina, for pilgrims arriving from abroad due to coronavirus-related epidemiological precautions, Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah said on Monday.
- Saudi reports 3,379 new coronavirus cases amid lift of anti-virus restrictions People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- Saudi Arabia registered on Sunday 3,379 new coronavirus cases, raising the total infections in the kingdom to 157,612.
- Health Ministry: 3,393 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 22 Jun 2020 -- The Ministry of Health said in a statement today that 3,393 new confirmed cases of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) have been reported in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, bringing the total number to 161,005 cases, including 54,523 active cases receiving necessary medical care. Of these, there are 2,045 critical cases, while the health condition of the rest is stable. As many as 4,045 cases have recovered, bringing the total recoveries to 105,175.
- Visitors to Taiwan increase as doors open to business travelers CNA 22 Jun 2020 -- The number of arrivals at Taiwan's largest airport increased sharply Monday -- the first day that Taiwan opened its doors to foreign business travelers from certain countries and areas since mid-March, when border controls due to COVID-19 were imposed.
- Aussie state scraps easing of COVID-19 restrictions after spike in cases People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The Australian state of Victoria has taken a step back from easing COVID-19 restrictions scheduled for Monday, after recording a spike in new infections.
- Australian State Reintroduces Restrictions as COVID-19 Cases Increase VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- Increasing numbers of cases of COVID-19 have forced the Australian state of Victoria to bring back tougher restrictions beginning Monday. New infections over the past two days have been at their highest for two months. A state of emergency has also been extended.
- Coronavirus Watch in Mideast: Iran's COVID-19 cases nudge 205,000 as Turkey's tally exceeds 187,000 People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases approached 205,000 in Iran on Sunday, while Turkey's tally of coronavirus infections surpassed 187,000.
- Number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Israel doubles since early June People's Daily 22 Jun 2020 -- The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Israel has doubled since early June, according to figures released by Israeli Ministry of Health on Sunday.
- Coronavirus Spreads Among Tennis Players, Footballers RFE/RL 22 Jun 2020 -- Three more people involved in Novak Djokovic's Adria Tour tennis exhibition series have been infected by the coronavirus, Croatian officials said on June 22, a day after Bulgarian player Grigor Dimitrov said he had tested positive.
- Kuwaiti MoH: 530 recoveries from COVID-19 in Kuwait, tally at 31,770 SPA 22 Jun 2020 -- Some 530 people recovered from the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Kuwait in last 24 hours, bringing the total number to 31,770, the Kuwaiti Ministry of Health said on Monday.
- COVID 'exacerbating existing vulnerabilities' in Central African Republic: Lacroix UN News 22 Jun 2020 -- The Central African Republic (CAR) is making progress as it prepares for presidential and legislative elections in December, but the political situation is still fragile - and security conditions volatile - amidst the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, UN peacekeeping chief Jean-Pierre Lacroix said on Monday.
- IFRC Opens 2 Field Hospitals in Bangladesh's Cox's Bazar VOA 22 Jun 2020 -- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies is opening two new isolation field hospitals in Cox' Bazar, Bangladesh, to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
- Toronto to Begin Next Step of Reopening on Wednesday - Statement Sputnik 22 Jun 2020 -- Canada's largest city, Toronto, and an adjacent municipality will enter the second stage of the province's three-step reopening plan on Wednesday, the government of Ontario said in a statement.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|