19 June 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Australia Says it Has Been Target of 'State-Based' Cyberattacks VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Friday that a major cyberattack by a "sophisticated state-based actor" has hit the nation.
- Cybersecurity Expert Discusses DOD's Role in National Security DoD News 19 Jun 2020 -- The Defense Department is involved in its own cybersecurity efforts at every level, and DOD also assists other government agencies, the intelligence community and international partners, the deputy assistant secretary of defense for cyber policy said.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 151 WHO 19 Jun 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 19 June 2020 WHO 19 Jun 2020
- COVID-19 Pandemic is Accelerating, Virus Still Spreading Fast, WHO Head Says Sputnik 19 Jun 2020 -- According to the latest data from the World Health Organisation (WHO), 8.33 million cases of COVID-19 have been registered worldwide, while 449,182 people have died from the disease in 216 countries and territories.
- COVID-19: UN health agency warns of 'new and dangerous phase' as cases mount UN News 19 Jun 2020 -- The world is entering "a new and dangerous phase" of the COVID-19 pandemic, as infection rates continue to climb, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.
- WHO Chief Warns Coronavirus Pandemic is Accelerating VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus declared Friday the coronavirus pandemic is "accelerating" and warned that lockdown measures are still needed to halt it.
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 19 Jun 2020
- Briefing with Director of U.S. Foreign Assistance Resources James L. Richardson and Acting Assistant Secretary for Population, Refugees and Migration Carol O'Connell On Sustaining U.S. Humanitarian Assistance Leadership in Response to COVID-19 US Dept. of State 19 Jun 2020
- Secretary of the Navy Braithwaite and Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Gilday Hold a Press Briefing on the Results of the USS Theodore Roosevelt Command Investigation DoD 19 Jun 2020 -- Secretary of the Navy Kenneth J. Braithwaite; Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Michael M. Gilday
- SECNAV and CNO As-Delivered Opening Remarks to Pentagon Press Corps NNS 19 Jun 2020 -- Secretary of the Navy, Kenneth J. Braithwaite and Chief of Naval Operations, Adm. Mike Gilday delivered remarks to the Pentagon Press Corps regarding the results of the investigation into the COVID-19 outbreak on USS Theodore Roosevelt, June 19.
- Navy: Former USS Theodore Roosevelt Commander Will Not Be Reinstated DoD News 19 Jun 2020 -- Following the release of a report into the events surrounding an outbreak of COVID-19 on the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Navy Capt. Brett E. Crozier, the ship's former commander, will not be reinstated, Navy Adm. Michael M. Gilday, chief of naval operations said at a Pentagon news conference.
- DOD Announces $187 Million in Defense Production Act Title III COVID-19 Actions DoD 19 Jun 2020 -- Today the Department is announcing five Defense Production Act Title III actions to help sustain and strengthen essential domestic industrial base capabilities and defense-critical workforce in shipbuilding, aircraft manufacturing, and clothing and textiles.
- Rush Transcript: On 111th Day of COVID-19 Briefings, Governor Cuomo Delivers Address: "It's Clear That Over the Past Three Months, We Have Done the Impossible" New York State 19 Jun 2020
- Influential COVID-19 model raises forecasts to over 200,000 deaths in U.S. by Oct. 1 People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- An influential COVID-19 model produced by the University of Washington has raised its projections, forecasting more than 200,000 Americans could die of COVID-19 by Oct. 1.
- New York Governor Gives Final Daily COVID-19 Update VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo made his final daily coronavirus briefing Friday, saying that after 111 days his state had "done the impossible" in fighting the disease.
- China's CDC experts investigate Xinfadi market three times, announce groundbreaking virus tracing discovery Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- An initial epidemiological survey shows the coronavirus strain detected at the Xinfadi market in Beijing came from Europe, yet it has existed longer than the current coronavirus strain circulating in Europe, Chinese virologists inferred. They say it is possible that the virus did not mutate during transport as it has been sealed in frozen food, stored in cold and damp conditions.
- China submits latest genome sequence to WHO at record speed Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- From Beijing's Xinfadi market, where the capital's outbreak flared up, virologists from China's Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) took substantial coronavirus-positive samples three times and published a groundbreaking discovery that the virus causing Beijing's latest outbreak came from Europe, yet it has existed longer than the coronavirus strain in Europe, or may be more contagious.
- Food and packaging can be contaminated with coronavirus, expert warns Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- Food and packaging can be contaminated with coronavirus if the nearby environment has been polluted, a food safety expert warned at the regular news briefing in Beijing on Friday, adding that virus pollution could occur in wholesale markets and supermarkets.
- China provides coronavirus sequence data from Beijing on new platform Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- China published the genome sequencing data of Beijing's recent outbreak late Thursday on a national novel coronavirus information system, China's first coronavirus sequence information sharing platform built amid the Wuhan outbreak. Chinese health experts said it improved China's technology shortcomings in dealing with infectious diseases, and is also conducive to the open and transparent sharing of coronavirus information globally.
- Scientists suspect existence of COVID-19 super spreader at Xinfadi market Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- A large amount of samples taken from the Xinfadi market in Beijing tested positive for coronavirus. Beijing reported 183 infections within a week, all related to Xinfadi. This propelled experts to speculate that a super spreader may have existed, and finding the spreader is vital to containing the virus in Beijing.
- Virus in Beijing's Xinfadi from Europe, but older: China CDC Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- The novel coronavirus found in Beijing's recent outbreak at Xinfadi market has come from Europe, but it is older than Europe's most recent virus, said Chinese health officials.
- Expert: Beijing's outbreak controlled People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- The recent outbreak of COVID-19 cases in Beijing is under control as the city has seen a decline in confirmed cases, but the caseload will continue to grow for some time, health expert Wu Zunyou said on Thursday.
- China's economic recovery continues in May with COVID-19 largely under control: expert People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- China's economic recovery continued in May with consumer spending, manufacturing and investment all "bouncing back strongly" and the COVID-19 pandemic largely under control, according to a U.S. investment expert.
- China's Hebei reports 2 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- North China's Hebei Province reported two new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and one new asymptomatic case on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- No new confirmed, asymptomatic or suspected COVID-19 cases were reported in central China's Hubei Province on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 32 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday that it received reports of 32 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Thursday, of which 28 were domestically transmitted and four were imported.
- Beijing reports 25 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported 25 new confirmed domestically transmitted COVID-19 cases and two new asymptomatic cases on Thursday, the municipal health commission said Friday.
- Chinese mainland reports 4 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported four new imported COVID-19 cases Thursday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,864, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Beijing reports eight COVID-19 cluster infections related to Xinfadi market People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- Beijing reported a total of eight COVID-19 cluster infections related to the Xinfadi wholesale farm produce market by the end of Wednesday, local health authority said on Thursday.
- Beijing tightens control of personnel flow to curb COVID-19 infections People's Daily 19 Jun 2020 -- Beijing has published a slew of measures to tighten the control of personnel flow following the emergence of several new clusters of COVID-19 infections, a security official said at a press conference Thursday.
- Beijing Pressures Critics as Pandemic Returns VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- As Beijing moves to contain an outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic, authorities have clamped down on citizen journalists.
- EU Members Consider COVID-19 Economic Recovery VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- European Union members were debating Friday a multi-billion-dollar economic recovery package to help the 27 member nations pull out of the downturn – the worst since the Great Depression - that resulted from efforts to fight the spread of COVID-19.
- EU Leaders Discuss $840B 'Next Generation EU' Initiative for COVID Recovery VOA 19 Jun 2020 -- European Union leaders on Friday agreed to meet again in mid-July to discuss the European Commission's coronavirus recovery measures, primarily powered by the proposed "Next Generation EU" plan.
- Spain's COVID-19 Infections Exceed 245,000 Cases SPA 19 Jun 2020 -- Spain reported 154 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of the virus infections in this country to 245,575 cases.
- Meeting with representatives of industries affected by coronavirus spread President of Russia 19 Jun 2020 -- The President held a meeting, via videoconference, with representatives of various economy sectors affected by the spread of the coronavirus.
- Updates on Covid-19-1 India PIB 19 Jun 2020
- UPDATES ON COVID-19 India PIB 19 Jun 2020
- Drones Hover Over Tamil Nadu After COVID-19 Cases Breach 50,000 Mark, Stringent Lockdown Re-Imposed Sputnik 19 Jun 2020 -- At a time when countries like China and New Zealand are witnessing what seems to be a second wave of the coronavirus pandemic, India is tackling its first wave. As of now, 380,532 people have been infected with COVID-19 in the country, of which 12,573 have died.
- COVID-19 kills 120 more Iranians over past 24 hours IRNA 19 Jun 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on Friday that some 120 more Iranians have died of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) over the past 24 hours bringing the total deaths to 9,392.
- Ministry of Health Announces Measures to be Followed, during House-Quarantine for Coronavirus' Affected SPA 19 Jun 2020 -- Ministry of Health announced the measures to be followed, during house-quarantine for the Coronavirus' affected.
- New 4301 Confirmed Cases, 1941 Critical Conditions Reported, in KSA SPA 19 Jun 2020 -- The total of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia rose to 150,292 as new 4301 confirmed cases were reported here today, with 53,344 active but reassuring cases against 1941 critical conditions. Recoveries jumped to 1849 cases, on the other hand, pushing the tally to 95,764 cases.
- Spotlight: Turkey steps up measures against COVID-19 amid resurgence of cases Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- For the seventh day in a row, Turkey has recorded a spike in the number of coronavirus infections following the easing of restrictions.
- China provides new medical supplies to Sudan to bolster anti-coronavirus fight Global Times 19 Jun 2020 -- The Chinese government on Thursday provided a new batch of medical supplies to Sudan to boost its efforts to combat the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Indonesia Reports 1,041 New Coronavirus Infections, 34 Deaths SPA 19 Jun 2020 -- Indonesia reported 1,041 new coronavirus infections on Friday, taking its total number of cases to 43,803, Reuters reported.
- Haiti needs a strong COVID-19 response to maintain national stability UN News 19 Jun 2020 -- The UN Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH) and 19 UN agencies there have been working together to support a country in the throes of a pandemic that could challenge the nation's delicate balance of stability, security and development, the head of the Mission told the Security Council on Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|