30 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Russia Says Suspected Terrorists 'Liquidated' In Yekaterinburg RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- Russia's National Anti-Terrorist Committee (NAK) says security forces have "liquidated" three suspected extremists in the Urals city of Yekaterinburg.
- Text of a Letter from the President to the Speaker of the House of Representatives and the President of the Senate The White House 30 Apr 2020
- German blacklisting of Hezbollah only serves Israel interests: Iran Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Iran has vehemently condemned the German government's decision to designate the Lebanese resistance group Hezbollah a "terrorist organization", saying Berlin must be held to account for the "consequences" its decision will have for the fight against terrorism in the region.
- United States Commends Germany for Banning Hizballah US Dept. of State 30 Apr 2020
- U.S., Israel Hail German Move Banning Iran-Backed Hizballah RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- Germany has banned Iran-backed Lebanese militant group Hizballah's activities on its soil and designated it a terrorist organization, a move welcomed by Tehran's rivals the United States and Israel.
- Germany Bans Hezbollah Activities on Its Soil Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- In December 2019, German lawmakers approved a non-binding initiative calling on the government to ban from Germany the political and militant group Hezbollah, which forms part of the Lebanese government.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 101 WHO 30 Apr 2020
- Coronavirus Pandemic Risks Reversing Anti-Poverty Gains, World Bank Says VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The progress that has been made in fighting world poverty is at risk of being reversed by the coronavirus pandemic, the World Bank said Thursday.
- UN chief calls for 'solidarity, unity and hope' in battling COVID-19 pandemic UN News 30 Apr 2020 -- Amidst the destruction of the of COVID-19 pandemic, the United Nations chief expressed concern over a lack of "sufficient solidarity" with the world's developing countries, that need support in responding to the worst economic and social crisis in generations.
- WHO chief reiterates calls for unity as global COVID-19 cases surpass 3 mln People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Global COVID-19 cases have exceeded 3 million as of Wednesday, according to the World Health Organization (WHO).
- WHO to reconvene emergency committee Thursday to evaluate latest COVID-19 situation People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday that he will reconvene the Emergency Committee on Thursday to evaluate the evolution of the COVID-19 pandemic and to advise on updated recommendations.
- US Defunding of WHO Could Lead to Increase in Disabilities, Experts Say VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- Millions could face increased risk of acquiring debilitating and life-threatening diseases if the United States permanently withdraws from the World Health Organization, experts contacted by VOA said.
- Intelligence Community Statement on Origins of COVID-19 Director of National Intelligence 30 Apr 2020 -- The Office of the Director of National Intelligence today issued the following Intelligence Community (IC) statement
- 'Not Man Made': US Intelligence Debunks Trump's Claims About Coronavirus' 'Artificial' Origins Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump and his allies have been blaming China for the outbreak of the coronavirus, which has claimed 228,632 lives globally. Trump has also said that his government has initiated an investigation into whether the virus emerged from a Wuhan lab.
- Coronavirus 'Not Man-Made,' US Intelligence Concludes VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- U.S. intelligence agencies are dismissing at least one theory about the origins of the coronavirus, saying evidence shows the virus was not engineered in a Chinese laboratory.
- Remarks by President Trump in a Meeting with Governor Murphy of New Jersey The White House 30 Apr 2020
- California's Conflicting Methods of Flattening the Curve VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- After a weekend of crowded beaches, California Governor Gavin Newsom has ordered all state beaches and parks closed as of Friday. Pushback is expected from residents.
- Indiana National Guard helps collect COVID-19 data Army News 30 Apr 2020 -- The Indiana National Guard helped the Indiana State Department of Health and local agencies test for COVID-19 at new study test sites across the state April 25-29.
- Wisconsin Guard conducting mobile testing around state Army News 30 Apr 2020 -- Eleven specimen collection teams from the Wisconsin National Guard are operating across Wisconsin to increase the state's COVID-19 testing capacity.
- Virginia National Guard helping fight COVID-19 Army News 30 Apr 2020 -- More than 530 members of the Virginia National Guard are supporting COVID-19 response efforts, including testing for the coronavirus, demonstrating how to use personal protective equipment (PPE) and distributing food and medical supplies.
- Florida National Guard supports new drive-through test site Army News 30 Apr 2020 -- The Florida National Guard (FLNG) is supporting Fort Lauderdale's new drive-through COVID-19 testing site at Holiday Park.
- Undersecretary Of Defense (A&S) Ellen Lord Holds a Press Briefing on COVID-19 Response Efforts DoD 30 Apr 2020 -- Ellen M. Lord, Undersecretary Of Defense For Acquisition And Sustainment
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 30 Apr 2020
- Pentagon Says US Expected to Battle COVID-19 Pandemic for 6 Months to Year Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- The fight against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the United States is expected to last between six months and a year, US Undersecretary of Defence for Acquisition and Sustainment Ellen Lord said during a press briefing on Thursday.
- USNS Comfort Departs NYC Prepared for Future Tasking; Military Relief Efforts Continue NNS 30 Apr 2020 -- The hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) departed New York City today, April 30, after supporting the Department of Defense's COVID-19 response efforts to New York and New Jersey residents during the coronavirus outbreak.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio Announce MTA to Disinfect New York City Transit System Daily New York State 30 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 30 Apr 2020
- White collar, blue collar Americans divided on COVID-19 lockdown People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Ron, a police officer in the U.S. state of Virginia, said he's concerned about the U.S. lockdown that's in place to slow the rate of novel coronavirus infections.
- New York COVID-19 cases near 300,000 as daily death toll drops to lowest in weeks People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Nearly 300,000 COVID-19 cases have been reported in the U.S. state of New York by Wednesday evening, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins University.
- COVID-19 deaths in U.S. top 60,000 - Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 deaths in the United States topped 60,000 on Wednesday afternoon, reaching 60,207 as of 4 p.m. (2000 GMT), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- US virus toll tops 61,000; Trump says won't extend social distancing Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- The US death toll from the coronavirus has topped 61,000 as the outbreak will soon be deadlier than any other epidemic in more than half a century in the virus-ridden country.
- Fauci Warns Against Reopening US Businesses Too Quickly VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, the lead U.S. infectious disease expert, warned Thursday against reopening the country too quickly for fear of giving the pandemic new life.
- Fauci Expects Quick FDA Approval for COVID-19 Drug VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The top infectious diseases expert in the United States said Thursday he expects quick government approval of the drug remdesivir for emergency use in the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
- US Federal Coronavirus Guidelines 'Fading Out' as Focus Turns to Reopening VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The Trump administration is not planning to extend federal coronavirus social distancing guidelines that expire Thursday, instead focusing on working with states to reopen the country.
- Truman Sailors Join Forces to Protect Against COVID-19 NNS 30 Apr 2020 -- Sailors aboard Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) recently helped prevent COVID-19 transmission by making masks for medical personnel and other Sailors on the frontline of the fight against the disease.
- Secrets behind China's high COVID-19 cure rate People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- By the end of April 26, central China's Hubei province, which had been the main battlefield in the fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China, had brought its number of confirmed COVID-19 cases down to zero.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases for 26 consecutive days People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Chinese mainland reports 4 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday that it received reports of four new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Wednesday, all of which were imported cases.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- China to tighten quality control on anti-epidemic supplies People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- China will enhance efforts to strengthen quality control over anti-epidemic supplies and safeguard the market order amid the fight against COVID-19, said the country's top-quality watchdog.
- Beijing city lowers COVID-19 emergency response level as infections wane People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese capital will lower its emergency response to the novel coronavirus epidemic from the top level to the second level starting April 30, the latest sign of social order restoration as the epidemic conditions have been eased.
- Xi: Efforts secure decisive outcome PLA Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, said on Wednesday that after arduous efforts, China has secured a decisive outcome in containing the spread of COVID-19 in Hubei province and its capital, Wuhan, the country's hardest-hit region.
- Chinese military to step up int'l anti-epidemic cooperation PLA Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese military will continue to work with defense ministries and militaries across the world to fight the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, a spokesperson said Thursday at a press conference.
- Military medics praised for support in fighting COVID-19 epidemic PLA Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese military spokesperson said Thursday that the military medics dispatched to Hubei Province have successfully completed their missions to treat COVID-19 patients, and none of them is infected.
- PM: UK "past the peak" of the coronavirus outbreak and "on the downward slope" Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- The PM has said that since the UK has "past the peak" of the coronavirus outbreak and is presently "on the downward slope" he will set out a "comprehensive" plan next week on reopening schools and restarting the economy.
- Europe Coronavirus Updates: Italy confirms 203,591 cases, Germany extends worldwide travel warning People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- Italy records 203,591 coronavirus cases;
- Italy prepares for "Phase Two" as COVID-19 patients decrease People's Daily 30 Apr 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic has claimed over 27,600 lives in locked-down Italy, bringing the total number of infections, fatalities and recoveries so far to 203,591, according to the latest data released by the country's Civil Protection Department on Wednesday.
- Spain's virus death tally lowest in weeks SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- Spain recorded its lowest daily coronavirus death tally in six weeks on Thursday, but data showing the economy shrank by the widest margin on record in the first three months of the year laid bare the heavy cost of measures to control the outbreak, Reuters reported.
- Finland Poised to Reopen Schools as Random Antibody Tests Indicate Low COVID-19 Incidence Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- According to the Institute for Health and Welfare (THL), children make up "a very small part" of those infected and develop only mild symptoms, if any at all.
- Why Is Russia's Coronavirus Death Toll So Low? RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- When Anna Lopatina, a 41-year-old nurse at a hospital in Astrakhan, a city in southern Russia, fell ill in late March, she immediately took a test for COVID-19. It returned negative several days later, and Lopatina continued to go to work, living with her elderly parents, her sister, and her child. Then her fever returned.
- Russian Prime Minister Tests Positive for Coronavirus Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- His first deputy, Andrey Belousov, will be filling in for him in his position, but the final decision on economic aid to Russian citizens will be cleared with the prime minister.
- Russian PM Tests Positive For Coronavirus RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- Russian Prime Minister Mikhail Mishustin says he will self-isolate after testing positive for the coronavirus.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 30 Apr 2020
- India Hints at Extending Lockdown Beyond 3 May as Number of COVID-19 Cases Keeps Growing Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- Despite the slow rate of COVID-19's spread across the country, serious concerns have been erupting in regions where health infrastructure is in a bad state and the government fears that any relaxation at this juncture will lead to serious problems for the country.
- Pres. Rouhani vows to ease restrictions in cities recovered from COVID-19 IRNA 30 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Thursday that the government will soon ease restrictions on cities which are in white health conditions after recovering from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- Official: 71 more Iranians die from COVID-19 IRNA 30 Apr 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office said on Thursday that 75,103 people out of a total of 94,640 infected with the coronavirus have survived and recovered while 6,028 have unfortunately succumbed to death including 71 Iranians died over the past 24 hours.
- Iran's Government To Keep Religious Sites Closed In Blow To Hard-Line Clerics RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry has announced that religious shrines will remain closed in what appears to be a blow to influential hard-line clerics who are pushing for the sites to reopen amid efforts to contain one of the Middle East's worst coronavirus outbreaks.
- Iran to name 'white' coronavirus-free counties soon: President Rouhani Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran will soon name those counties, which have been identified as "white zones" with regard to the new coronavirus outbreak, in the near future and will also announce regulations governing expected loosening of anti-virus restrictions.
- South Korea records no locally transmitted new infections SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- For the first time since February, South Korea has not reported any new local coronavirus infections, health authorities announced on Thursday, according to dpa.
- Reports: Japanese PM Abe Likely to Extend Coronavirus State of Emergency VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is apparently leaning towards extending the state of emergency imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic for another month.
- Dr. Al-Abdulaali: 1351 New COVID-19 Cases Detected in the Kingdom SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali said that 1351 new COVID-19 cases were reported today in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- COVID-19 Committee Holds 71st Meeting SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 71st meeting today.
- Taiwan mulling easing COVID-19 restrictions as new cases stay at zero CNA 30 Apr 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday it is considering lifting some of the restrictions related to its COVID-19 coronavirus prevention efforts, as Taiwan has recorded no new cases for the fifth consecutive day, leaving the total number at 429.
- U.S. official contrasts approaches of Taiwan, China to COVID-19 CNA 30 Apr 2020 -- A U.S. State Department official praised Taiwan's handling of the COVID-19 crisis Tuesday, contrasting its "transparent" response with the approach taken by China and other authoritarian governments.
- Strenuous Efforts Paid to Anti-epidemic Work in DPRK KCNA 30 Apr 2020 -- All the people have intensified the anti-epidemic activities with high alertness in the DPRK, true to the joint resolution adopted at the meeting of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Coronavirus response: Turkey delivers medical aid to the US NATO 30 Apr 2020 -- On 28 April 2020, an A-400M military aircraft from the Turkish Air Force, which took off from the Etimesgut Airfield in Ankara (Turkey) to deliver critical medical supplies to the United States, landed at the Joint Base Andrews, Maryland, as part of ongoing Allied efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic. A second Turkish military aircraft carrying medical supplies to the United States left Ankara today.
- Coronavirus response: Hungary and the United States deliver assistance to the Republic of Moldova NATO 30 Apr 2020 -- Hungary delivered medical supplies to the Republic of Moldova on 28 April 2020 in order to deal with the COVID 19 pandemic.
- China actively cooperating with Syria to combat COVID-19: envoy Global Times 30 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese envoy said Wednesday that China is actively cooperating with Syria to combat COVID-19, calling on other countries to do the same.
- Economic sanctions on Syria halt combat against COVID-19: UN envoy Press TV 30 Apr 2020 -- Syria's UN ambassador has warned that unilateral and coercive economic sanctions by some countries as part of their "terrorist war" against the Arab country are preventing Syrians from obtaining even their basic needs and hindering efforts by Damascus to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Saudi Arabia, Qatar See Highest COVID-19 Infection Rates Among Gulf Countries Sputnik 30 Apr 2020 -- Saudi Arabia and Qatar have topped the list of Arab Gulf countries with the highest rate of coronavirus infections, official data showed on Thursday.
- As Africa's COVID-19 Lockdowns Ease, Officials Urged to Balance Health Policy VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- Top African health officials say the continent has taken what appear to be effective measures in curbing the spread of coronavirus. While they note that lockdowns in some countries have had positive effects in slowing transmission, scientists say that the enduring economic and social harm of lockdowns could soon trump scientific considerations. Experts spoke to journalists a day before the continent's hot spot, South Africa, prepared to ease its restrictions.
- Australia-China Tensions Over Call for Global COVID-19 Probe VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- An extraordinary diplomatic dispute is intensifying between Australia and China over the new coronavirus. Canberra wants an international investigation into the source of COVID-19 and its spread, a move that has infuriated Beijing.
- Lift Cuba embargo or risk many lives lost to COVID-19, UN rights experts warn US UN News 30 Apr 2020 -- The United States must urgently lift its blockade on Cuba to save lives amid the expanding COVID-19 crisis, UN human rights experts stressed on Thursday, emphasizing that the more than six-decades-old sanctions are impeding the supply of medicine, medical equipment, food and other goods essential to surviving the pandemic.
- COVID-19: Tajikistan Officially Confirms First Cases RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is approaching 230,000 with more than 3.2 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Some Citizens Chafe, Businesses Push Back As COVID-19 Lockdown Lengthens In Ukraine RFE/RL 30 Apr 2020 -- Bohdan Starchenko's job - head barman at Hangover, a popular Kyiv nightclub - is hardly one conducive to social distancing. And when Ukraine first introduced self-isolation measures on March 12, he suddenly lost it, at least temporarily: the club closed its doors and the entire staff was sent on unpaid leave.
- Indonesia's coronavirus cases top 10,000 SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Indonesia has exceeded 10,000 for the first time, the country's Covid-19 task force announced on Thursday, according to dpa.
- Oman Reports 74 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 30 Apr 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health reported 74 new coronavirus cases during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Sultanate of Oman to 2,348.
- UN prepares for potentially devastating COVID-19 outbreak in conflict-ravaged northeast Nigeria UN News 30 Apr 2020 -- In northeast Nigeria, where armed conflict has forced millions from their homes, the UN's migration agency, IOM, is supporting the construction of quarantine shelters, as the region braces for an outbreak of COVID-19 which, it warns, would have 'devastating consequences' for those who have been displaced.
- UNHCR: COVID-19 Could Affect Millions in South Sudan VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The U.N. refugee agency is warning of potentially devastating consequences for millions in South Sudan if the COVID-19 pandemic takes root and spreads uncontrollably throughout the country.
- Brazilian Army Joins Effort to Disinfect Prison from COVID-19 VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The Brazilian army, in conjunction with the country's prison administration, conducted a large-scale disinfection operation to slow the spread of the coronavirus at the Gericinó Prison Complex in Rio de Janeiro.
- Chile Set to Reopen Malls as It Eases COVID-19 Restrictions VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- Chile will begin opening malls to the public for the first time on Friday, three months after imposing a nationwide lockdown because of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Cambodia Rural Clinics Adopt Travel-based COVID-19 Test Strategy VOA 30 Apr 2020 -- The Samraung Health Center in the Bati district of Takeo province is tucked behind an Acleda Bank branch and opposite the local school.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|