27 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Did Vietnamese Hackers Target the Chinese Government to Get Information on COVID-19? Radio Free Asia 27 Apr 2020 -- On April 22, FireEye, a cyber security firm, reported that "From at least January to April 2020, suspected Vietnamese actors APT32 carried out intrusion campaigns against Chinese targets that… [were] designed to collect intelligence on the COVID-19 crisis." The alleged targets were China's Ministry of Emergency Management and the Wuhan municipal government.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 98 WHO 27 Apr 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 27 April 2020 WHO 27 Apr 2020
- UN: Emergency COVID Measures Should Not Violate Human Rights VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights is urging the world's governments to respect human rights during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO Director General Cautions Pandemic Is Far From Over VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- Noting that several European nations are preparing to ease coronavirus-related restrictions, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) Monday urged countries to continue to find, isolate, test and treat all cases."
- World COVID-19 cases approach 3 mln, multiple countries mull gradual lifting of restrictions People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Multiple countries are easing or considering easing restrictions gradually for social and economic recovery although the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases worldwide is nearing 3 million.
- China denies spreading coronavirus disinformation following EU report Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- China has rejected claims that it is spreading disinformation about the new coronavirus pandemic that continues to spread rapidly across the globe.
- NATO's Stoltenberg Blasts Chinese, Russian Disinformation About Coronavirus RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg has accused China and Russia of spreading disinformation regarding the organization's response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 27 Apr 2020
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 27 Apr 2020
- Remarks by President Trump in a Meeting with Industry Executives on COVID-19 Response The White House 27 Apr 2020
- Federal Government Says States Must Conduct COVID-19 Testing VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- New national guidelines were unveiled Monday by the federal government that place the onus on the 50 states to conduct testing for COVID-19.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Phase II Results of Antibody Testing Study Show 14.9% of Population has Covid-19 Antibodies New York State 27 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 27 Apr 2020
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 27 Apr 2020
- More US States Ease Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- More U.S. states are taking steps Monday to lift some coronavirus restrictions while the Trump administration reviews proposed new guidelines for how states can gradually reopen businesses, schools and churches.
- New York state to reopen with phased strategy, says governor Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- The U.S. state of New York will restart its economy after the peak of the coronavirus outbreak in a multi-phase manner, Governor Andrew Cuomo said Sunday.
- Fauci says testing needs to be doubled before U.S. reopens economy People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Anthony Fauci, director of the U.S. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the country will be able to double its COVID-19 testing capacity over the next several weeks, which is needed to safely reopen portions of the economy, according to The Hill on Sunday.
- Social distancing will continue through summer in US: White House health expert Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- A senior Trump administration health official warns that social distancing measures will need to continue for the next few months in the United States despite many states planning to end lockdowns imposed over the coronavirus spread.
- Pentagon Reports Number of COVID-19 Cases Increase to 6,568 With 27 Deaths Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- The US Department of Defence on Monday reported that the number of confirmed novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases among service members, contractors and related civilians has increased to 6,568 with a death toll of 27 since the beginning of the pandemic.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 27 Apr 2020
- US Navy Announces Discharge of Last COVID19 Patient From USNS Comfort, Leaving NY by End of April Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- On 30 March, The 1,000-bed hospital ship arrived to New York, the largest COVID-19 hotspot in the United States and the world, to assist in combating the novel disease after the city's hospitals became overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients.
- Wuhan Residents Skeptical of Claim City Has Zero Hospitalized COVID-19 Patients VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- Chinese officials said there are no coronavirus patients in hospitals across Hubei province, whose capital, Wuhan, was the epicenter of the global pandemic. Many residents and netizens from elsewhere, however, remain skeptical of the government's claim about Wuhan.
- China opposes US forces' 'attack China' plan to win votes: FM Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- China firmly opposes certain US individuals and forces using China to garner votes or smearing China using the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang said Monday at a press conference, amid reports of the US Republican's "Attack China" campaign.
- China threatens Australia with boycott of goods over virus probe Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- China's ambassador to Australia has warned that Canberra's insistence on a politically motivated investigation into Beijing's handling of the coronavirus outbreak could result in a boycott of Australian products.
- U.S. has no grounds for compensation against China People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- A number of U.S. politicians, such as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, have continuously stirred up trouble during the pneumonia outbreak by attempting to hold China accountable for the novel coronavirus and claiming compensation from it.
- WHO may help probe US govt's response to COVID-19: Chinese FM Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- Amid tremendous doubts in the US over the US government's inefficient anti-epidemic measures, Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang urged the US government to respond to US people's concerns timely and called for the World Health Organization to start a probe into related issues at a press conference on Mon-day.
- China's Hubei to save over $1 million in medical costs daily by decreasing COVID-19 test kit prices Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- About 8 million yuan ($1.13 million) in daily medical costs can be saved in Central China's Hubei Province due to a drastic decrease in local nucleic acid testing kit purchase prices, according to media reports.
- China's Hubei to save over $1 million in medical costs daily by decreasing COVID-19 test kit prices Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- With coronavirus deaths rising abroad, orders for importing funeral-service supplies from China surged 487 percent month-on-month in March, data from Alibaba's business-to-business e-commerce platform showed.
- Second outbreak 'unlikely' in Wuhan: Exclusive with Jinyintan Hospital chief at center of the arduous fight Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- The Jinyintan Hospital in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province has been fighting the COVID-19 epidemic on the frontline for 119 days since the contagious infection-focused hospital received the first suspected case on December 27, 2019.
- 'All I can say is things are getting better' Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- Rural workers among the hardest-hit by COVID-19, but resumption underway
- Independent investigation into China is a manipulation of politics: FM Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- Some people advocating the launch of an independent investigation into how China dealt with the epidemic in its early stages are manipulating the politics, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Monday, noting that the question of where the virus has originated should be left to scientists.
- Rumor Buster: 16 facts about China's fight against COVID-19 People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic, caused by a coronavirus named SARS-CoV-2, is raging around the world. At this critical moment, falsehoods, rumors and wild conspiracy theories about COVID-19 are circulating on social and traditional media. The world is striving to sift through the lies and obtain scientific facts, and China stands on the front lines fighting against this global "misinfodemic."
- Chinese mainland reports 107 COVID-19 cases with imported case links: official People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- An official with the Chinese health authority said Monday that since March 21, the authority has received reports of 107 COVID-19 cases which were linked to imported cases.
- China's Hubei cleared of confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Hubei, the province hardest hit by the novel coronavirus in central China, was cleared of confirmed novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases on Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Central guiding group overseeing COVID-19 epidemic control leaves Hubei People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Approved by General Secretary Xi Jinping and the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, China's central guiding group overseeing the novel coronavirus efforts in Hubei Province left for Beijing Monday.
- Shanghai reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported no new cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Sunday, the municipal health commission said Monday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 1 new confirmed COVID-19 case People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- China's Heilongjiang Province reported one new locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 case and no new imported confirmed cases Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Sunday, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 2 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported two new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,636, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports three new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of three new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, of which two were imported.
- 80 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- A total of 80 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Sunday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Wuhan hospitals clear all COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- After more than three months of arduous fight, Wuhan, the Chinese city once hardest hit by the coronavirus outbreak, cleared all COVID-19 cases in hospitals on Sunday.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbre People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- PM statement in Downing Street: 27 April 2020 Gov.UK 27 Apr 2020 -- Prime Minister Boris Johnson made a statement in Downing Street.
- Johnson's Dilemma: Lives or Livelihoods VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- Britain's Boris Johnson returned to work Monday less than three weeks after leaving the critical-care ward of a London hospital, where he nearly lost his life to the coronavirus. His recovery comes amid mounting pressure on the government from major donors to his ruling Conservatives – as well as from some senior party members – to start easing the coronavirus lockdown and to get the country back to work, at least partially.
- UK PM Boris Johnson Refuses to Relax COVID-19 Lockdown to Avoid Second Wave Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- Earlier on Monday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson made his first public appearance days after being discharged from a hospital where he'd spent a week, including three nights in intensive care, after being diagnosed with COVID-19.
- Boris Johnson says lockdown cannot yet be eased as UK faces 'maximum risk' Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson warns that it is still too soon to ease the coronavirus lockdown since the UK is at the point of "maximum risk".
- Doctors warn UK protective equipment shortages worsening Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- An increasing number of doctors in the UK are being forced to treat coronavirus patients without protective equipment, a new report says.
- Finland Says Coronavirus Epidemic Peak 'Far Away', Rethinks Restrictions Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- While Finland remains the least-affected Scandinavian nation, with fewer than 5,000 cases, professor Mika Salminen has said that up to half of the population will get infected in the long run, as actually suppressing the pandemic is unlikely.
- Italy's Conte Announces Partial Lockdown Lift Starting 4 May as Nation Recovers From COVID-19 Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- Manufacturing and Construction Activities
- Greece: COVID-19 pandemic a further risk to refugee child education UN News 27 Apr 2020 -- UN agencies in Greece have expressed concern at the effect that the COVID-19 pandemic is having on the education of refugee children in the country, as a charity partner warns that funding for educational programmes is on the verge of running out.
- Europe Coronavirus Updates: COVID-19 new deaths further drop in Italy, France and Spain; Italian PM announces plan to ease coronavirus lockdown People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Italy registers lowest one-day deaths in six weeks, PM announces plan to ease coronavirus lockdown;
- Germany reports 1,018 new cases of COVID-19, raising total to 155,193 Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- Germany reported 1,018 cases of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the country's case tally to 155,193, according to data from disease control agency Robert Koch Institute.
- COVID-19 infections reach 197,675 in Italy, single-day deaths lowest in six weeks Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic has claimed 26,644 lives in locked-down Italy, bringing the total number of infections, fatalities and recoveries to 197,675 as of Sunday, according to latest data released by the country's Civil Protection Department.
- EU Plans New Package To Help Balkans Through Coronavirus Crisis RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- The European Union is discussing a new aid package for the Western Balkans to help the region cope with the coronavirus pandemic and its economic fallout, according to a document seen by RFE/RL.
- COVID-19: Russia Overtakes China With More Than 87,100 Cases RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 207,000 with nearly 3 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Hospitals in Indian Capital Becoming COVID-19 Hotspots With Over 100 Healthcare Workers Infected Sputnik 27 Apr 2020 -- Healthcare professionals are in the forefront of the fight against COVID-19, and India has enacted legislation to ensure the safety of doctors, nurses, paramedics, community health workers and other personnel who are working round the clock to fight the virus.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 27 Apr 2020
- PM interacts with CMs to plan ahead for tackling COVID-19 India PIB 27 Apr 2020 -- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi today interacted with Chief Ministers of states via video conferencing to discuss the emerging situation and plan ahead for tackling the COVID-19 pandemic. This was the fourth such interaction of the Prime Minister with the Chief Ministers, the earlier ones had been held on 20th March, 2nd April and 11th April, 2020.
- IAF's support towards fight against COVID-19 India PIB 27 Apr 2020 -- Indian Air Force (IAF) has stepped up its efforts to meet all the emerging requirements of the Govt of India during the ongoing novel corona virus pandemic. IAF continues to airlift essential supplies of medicine and ration along with medical personnel within the country, to equip state governments and supporting agencies to combat the contagion effectively.
- Facts on the controversy around prices of Rapid Antibody tests India PIB 27 Apr 2020 -- First of all, it is important to understand the background in which procurement decisions are made by ICMR. Testing is one of the most crucial weapons to fight COVID-19 and ICMR is doing everything it can to ramp up testing. This requires procurement of kits and supplying them to states. This procurement is being undertaken when globally there is huge demand for these test kits and various countries are applying their full might, monetary and diplomatic, to acquire them.
- Official: COVID19 death toll hits 5,806 in Iran IRNA 27 Apr 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office said on Monday that 90,472 people have been infected with COVID-19 virus, from whom 70,933 have recovered and been discharged from medical centers while 5,806 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- Iran issues first permit for exporting COVID-19 test kits: Official Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Iran's vice president for science and technology says the country has issued its first permit for the export of serologic test kits used to diagnose patients affected with the new coronavirus disease.
- Iran's daily new coronavirus cases fall below 1,000 for first time: Health Ministry Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry says the country has recorded a two-digit rise in the number of new coronavirus cases for the first time in more than a month, which indicates the declining curve of the COVID-19 disease in the country.
- As Businesses Reopen In Iran 60 Cities Are Tagged Epidemic Red Zones Radio Farda 27 Apr 2020 -- An Iranian Health Ministry deputy on Monday said lifting coronavirus restrictions on businesses does not mean "going back to normal" and can be reversed if the number of infections and deaths go up.
- Iran Receives Fourth Medical Supplies Cargo From Germany Radio Farda 27 Apr 2020 -- An official of the Iranian Customs on Sunday confirmed that a fourth consignment of pharmaceutical ingredients purchased from Germany worth around 259,000 euros (about $280,000) has been delivered to Iran.
- Dr. Al-Abdulaali: 1289 COVID-19 Cases Reported in Kingdom SPA 27 Apr 2020 -- Assistant Minister of Health and Spokesperson of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali said that 1289 new cases were reported today in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, adding that 791 cases confirmed today are detected via the active screening which represent 61% of the total cases.
- COVID-19 Committee Holds 68th Meeting SPA 27 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 Follow-up Committee was assured of the health conditions of the Coronavirus cases in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the medical care provided to them.
- Taiwan confirms no new COVID-19 cases for 5th time in April CNA 27 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan on Monday reported no new confirmed cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus for the fifth time this month, keeping its total number at 429, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Australian coronavirus tracing app surpasses 1 mln downloads in 5 hours Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- More than 1 million Australians have downloaded the government's coronavirus tracing app within hours of its launch.
- Australians Race to Download COVID-19 Tracing App Despite Privacy Concerns VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- More than a million Australians have downloaded a coronavirus contact tracing app within hours of it being released by the government. Officials have said the technology would help Australia get back to normal and help lift restrictions, but it has been criticized by civil liberties groups. Australia has managed to control its coronavirus outbreak, but officials worry about the risk of another flareup. There are 6,713 confirmed Covid-19 infections in Australia. 83 people have died.
- Coronavirus response: Lithuania assists Italy and Spain in response to global pandemic NATO 27 Apr 2020 -- On 27 April 2020, a plane from the Spanish Air Force took off from the Lithuanian Air Force Base near Šiauliai (Lithuania) to deliver critical medical supplies to Spain, as part of ongoing Allied efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coronavirus response: Largest plane in the world brings face masks to Germany NATO 27 Apr 2020 -- The largest plane in the world arrived in Germany on Monday (27 April 2020) from China bringing urgent medical supplies as part of efforts to help curb the spread of the coronavirus.
- Coronavirus response: KFOR carries on with its activities and continues to provide assistance to local communities in Kosovo NATO 27 Apr 2020 -- The NATO-led KFOR mission continues its daily activities, ensuring a safe and secure environment for all communities in Kosovo, according to the United Nations Security Council Resolution 1244 of 1999.
- NATO Deputy Secretary General conversation with Friends of Europe on NATO's response to COVID-19 NATO 27 Apr 2020 -- In a strategic conversation today (27 April 2020) with Friends of Europe senior fellow Jamie Shea, the NATO Deputy Secretary General, Mircea Geoană, argued that now is not the time to cut investments in defence. "This pandemic has not made the security risks to our nearly 1 billion citizens disappear", said Geoană.
- Chinese state-owned companies building makeshift quarantine hospitals in Maldives Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- A number of Chinese companies are allocating their manpower and resources to help the Maldives promptly build temporary quarantine hospitals amid the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Chinese Ambassador to the Maldives Zhang Lizhong.
- Equatorial Guinean envoy commends China's COVID-19 response Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- Equatorial Guinea's ambassador to China German Ekua Sima Abaga has spoken highly of China's efforts to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Samoan expert: Samoa thanks China for helping ensure zero COVID-19 case People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- Samoa has so far reported zero confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), for which the country should thank China, said Poao Dr Lamour Hansell, head of the Covid-19 taskforce in Samoa.
- Global COVID-19 caseload grows slowly, contagion curve flattens in Europe Press TV 27 Apr 2020 -- As the global caseload of the COVID-19 disease increased more slowly, governments around the world are increasingly taking steps to revive their shuttered economies after weeks of pandemic lockdowns.
- More Countries Ease Coronavirus Restrictions, While Britain Says Not Yet VOA 27 Apr 2020 -- New Zealand and Italy announced steps to ease their coronavirus lockdown, while British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, who returned to work Monday after contracting COVID-19, said it was too early to relax Britain's restrictions.
- Kyrgyz vice PM praises Chinese medical team's contribution to fight against COVID-19 Global Times 27 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese medical team, who arrived in Kyrgyzstan on April 20, has made important contributions to the host country's fight against the COVID-19 epidemic, Vice Prime Minister Aida Ismailova said on Sunday.
- A Deceptive Dream? Georgian Government Hopes Early Coronavirus Success Results In Ballot Box Success RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- The Georgian government is hoping some of the credit it has garnered in early efforts fighting the coronavirus pandemic that is ravaging the world can help it later this year during parliamentary elections.
- New Zealand to ease virus lockdown tonight People's Daily 27 Apr 2020 -- New Zealand will ease its lockdown restrictions and move from Alert Level 4 to Level 3 at 11.59 pm on Monday 27 April, after a month of tight restrictions slowed the spread of coronavirus.
- Kuwait announces 183 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death SPA 27 Apr 2020 -- Kuwait has reported 183 new coronavirus, COVID-19, infections in the last 24 hours, bringing the total of infections to 3,075, while one death was reported, bringing the total fatalities' toll up to 20.
- Oman: 51 new cases of COVID-19 SPA 27 Apr 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health announced today 51 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the number of infections in the country to 2049, while the total deaths reached 10, Oman News Agency (ONA) reported.
- Cambodia, Myanmar Workers Face Adversity as Outbreak Devastates Industry Radio Free Asia 27 Apr 2020 -- Workers in Cambodia and Myanmar are facing severe hardships as the spread of the coronavirus decimates their country's economies and causes widespread factory closures, prompting them to take to the streets to demand assistance from their governments.
- Armenia Won't Be Able To Treat All People Infected With Coronavirus, Minister Warns RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- As the coronavirus continues to spread in Armenia, the country's health minister warns that the authorities may soon be unable to treat infected people showing mild symptoms of the disease.
- Though It Has No Coronavirus Cases (Officially), Tajikistan Is Behaving As If It's Fighting A Pandemic RFE/RL 27 Apr 2020 -- Wearing rubber gloves and a homemade face mask, a middle-aged woman named Ziyoda sells herbs at a vegetable market on the outskirts of Khujand, the ancient Tajik city that is one of the oldest in Central Asia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|