26 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 97 WHO 26 Apr 2020
- Millions more children at risk with immunization services disrupted amid COVID-19 pandemic UN News 26 Apr 2020 -- Last year, over 13 million children received no vaccines at all, and the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) is calling on governments to step up, warning disrupting immunization services amid the COVID-19 pandemic could leave even more of the world's most marginalized children without access to life-saving vaccines.
- Is WHO The One To Call On To Stop COVID-19? RFE/RL 26 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization, or WHO, has come under some blistering criticism for its response to the coronavirus pandemic that has killed more than 190,000 people around the globe.
- US Health Officials Recognize 6 More Coronavirus Symptoms VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- U.S. health officials say that chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat and the loss of smell or taste could also be signs of a coronavirus infection.
- Some US States Begin Warily Reopening VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- Some U.S. states are slowly reopening their economies after weeks of lockdown caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- U.S. COVID-19 cases top 900,000, research shows hidden outbreaks likely occurred "far earlier" People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- More than 900,000 people were infected with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) as of Saturday in the United States, with the death toll exceeding 52,000, while a new study indicated that the virus was likely to be spreading in multiple U.S. cities "far earlier" than Americans knew.
- Global COVID-19 deaths surpass 200,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- Global COVID-19 deaths surpassed 200,000 on Saturday afternoon, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Trump expanding war on WHO far beyond aid freeze as he seeks COVID-19 scapegoat: Report Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- The Trump administration is aggressively attacking the World Health Organization (WHO) as the US president seeks to deflect criticism of his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a report.
- US Navy faces another major COVID-19 outbreak aboard warship in Pacific Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- The US Navy is reportedly fighting a new coronavirus outbreak on yet another one of its warships as 33 American sailors aboard the guided missile destroyer USS Kidd have tested positive for the disease so far.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Outlines Phased Plan to Re-open New York Starting With Construction and Manufacturing New York State 26 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 26 Apr 2020
- French papers follow US in attacking China Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- Groundless accusations against China over the COVID-19 pandemic by some French media and right-wing politicians, including major news outlet Le Figaro, opposed the cooperative tendency berween France and China as well as the friendship between the two peoples, Chinese analysts said on Sunday.
- Washington 'launches COVID-19 war against its own people' Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- China did not start a "war" on the US in the coronavirus pandemic as some hawkish US officials such as Peter Navarro have suggested; it is instead those "morons" in the US like the White House trade adviser, who have started a war against their own people and waged a relentless smearing campaign against China in an attempt to cover up their complete failure in pandemic response, that have steered the China-US relationship to a dangerous crossroad, Chinese analysts said on Sunday.
- China works on quality as exports of medical supplies for COVID-19 hit $7.7b Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- China has stepped up supervision of the quality of epidemic prevention and control products for export, as well as the scale of those exports, which reached 55 billion yuan ($7.7 billion) in March and April, an official said on Sunday.
- 'Misunderstanding' leads to Canada purchasing unqualified masks from Chinese company: Chinese Embassy Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese Embassy in Canada said that a misunderstanding existed over what Toronto was purchasing and what a Chinese vendor was selling in response to a report by Canadian media alleging that face masks from China failed to meet the proper standards of healthcare professionals.
- China is tightening crackdown on defective medical supplies Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- China has tightened crackdown on fake and defective medical supplies, as the fast-growing global demand has driven up the price of medical products, with some businessmen engaging in profiteering acts, Chinese officials said Sunday.
- China eases restrictions on exports of some coronavirus equipment Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- China has decided to ease an export restriction on some medical equipment, which required domestic approval before they could be sold overseas, as long as they are approved in the importing countries.
- Wuhan hospitals clear all COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, the central China city hardest hit by the epidemic, has dropped to zero, a health official said Sunday.
- All Wuhan patients discharged Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- All COVID-19 patients in Wuhan's hospitals were cured as of Sunday, said China's national top health authority, an achievement that has been hailed by Wuhan doctors and residents as a milestone in the city's hard-fought battle against the coronavirus, and a sign that the city is returning to normal at an unparalleled speed.
- Hospitalized COVID-19 cases in Wuhan drop to zero: official People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- The number of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Wuhan, the central China city hardest hit by the epidemic, has dropped to zero, a health official said Sunday.
- Last severe COVID-19 patient in Wuhan returns negative test People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- With a 90-year-old COVID-19 patient surnamed Zhang who was in serious condition testing negative for COVID-19 on April 24, central China's city of Wuhan, the previous epicenter of the pandemic, has managed to bring its number of severe COVID-19 cases to zero, Wuhan-based news website cjn.cn reported on April 24.
- HKSAR chief executive expresses confidence yet urges to remain alert amid COVID-19 epidemic People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- Chief Executive of China's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) Carrie Lam said Saturday that the HKSAR government needs to remain alert though the region has seen a significant drop in the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases recently.
- 48 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- Forty-eight patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Saturday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Chinese mainland reports 5 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported five new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Saturday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,634, the National Health Commission said Sunday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Saturday, the provincial health commission said Sunday.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Sunday that it received reports of 11 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Saturday, of which five were imported.
- PLA sends materials to help Cambodian military battle COVID-19 PLA Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- At the request of the Cambodian military and with the approval of the Central Military Commission, the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) on Saturday sent urgently needed COVID-19 prevention and control materials, including nucleic acid testing kits and protective gowns, to the Cambodian military by air force planes.
- Wuhan Dismisses All COVID Patients VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- Chinese officials said Sunday that all COVID patients have been discharged from hospitals in Wuhan, the origin of the outbreak in the country late last year.
- Spain has the most coronavirus infections among healthcare workers Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- Twenty percent of the coronavirus infections reported in Spain have been among healthcare workers, Spanish media El País reported on Saturday.
- "Mixed picture" in Europe as UK COVID-19 deaths top 20,000 People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic is showing a mixed picture in Europe, as Britain's death toll surpassed 20,000 on Saturday, making it the fifth nation globally to pass that grim milestone, after the United States, Italy, Spain and France.
- Sturgeon proposes different lockdown 'exit' strategy from the rest of UK Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- Scotland's First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has once again intervened decisively in the UK's coronavirus crisis by proposing an alternative roadmap for her nation.
- UK to belatedly quarantine international arrivals Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- After repeated accusations the government has been mishandling the coronavirus crisis, finally senior Tory leaders appear to be heeding public concerns. ed on 26 April to 80,949, with a death toll of 747, according to the Russian government data. Over 6,700 people are said to have recovered from COVID-19 in the country.
- UK Scraps China from Official COVID-19 Death Tally Graphs in Snub over 'Cover-Up' Claims Sputnik 26 Apr 2020 -- Earlier, China revised its official COVID-19 fatality count to 4,632, adding some 1,290 deaths registered in Wuhan, while rejecting a chorus of accusations that it was covering up the true scale of the epidemic.
- Greece Tightens COVID Controls at Refugee Camp VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- The Netherlands is sending urgent medical supplies to Greece to help shield tens of thousands of migrants and refugees following a series of COVID-19 outbreaks in Greek refugee camps. The government in Athens is boosting controls there, but it is also tightening lockdown rules for migrants, stripping violators of asylum rights and slapping them with heavy fines.
- Russian Defence Ministry Releases Data on COVID-19 Among Servicemen For the First Time Sputnik 26 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed novel coronavirus cases in Russia was updated on 26 April to 80,949, with a death toll of 747, according to the Russian government data. Over 6,700 people are said to have recovered from COVID-19 in the country.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 26 Apr 2020
- Modi Warns Indians Against Complacency in Fight Against Coronavirus VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi warned the country about complacency in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic in a Sunday radio address and appealed to people to strictly comply with a nationwide lockdown that has been in effect for over a month.
- India records biggest single-day spike of COVID-19 cases, tally reaches 26,496 Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- India's federal health ministry said Sunday morning that 45 new deaths due to COVID-19 and an additional 1,554 positive cases were reported since Saturday evening across the country, taking the number of deaths to 824 and total cases to 26,496.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan takes stock of preparedness of AIIMS Trauma Centre: Dedicated COVID-19 hospital India PIB 26 Apr 2020 -- The Union Minister for Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan today visited Jai Prakash Narayan Apex Trauma Centre (JPNATC) of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi to take stock of their preparedness to overcome COVID-19 as well as witness first-hand the treatment and assistance being offered to COVID-19 patients in the Dedicated COVID Hospital.
- Pakistan Military Attacks PM Imran Khan Over Government's Handling of Covid-19 Pandemic Sputnik 26 Apr 2020 -- Covid-19 cases in Pakistan have exceeded 12,227, with at least 256 deaths, according to the World Health Organisation.
- Iran to reopen religious sites in 'white' risk zones: President Rouhani Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says Iran will be divided into three risk zones based on the number of COVID-19 infections and fatalities, adding that religious sites could reopen in areas designated as white.
- Coronavirus kills 60 more in Iran IRNA 26 Apr 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office said on Sunday that coronavirus killed 60 more people in the past 24 hours reaching the number of the death toll to 5,710 people.
- Iran takes delivery of 4th medical shipment bought from Germany IRNA 26 Apr 2020 -- Iran received 4th consignment of its medical purchases from Germany, Managing Director of Bazargan Customs Office in the northwest of the country said.
- South Korea reports 10 more COVID-19 cases, 10,728 in total Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- South Korea reported 10 more cases of the COVID-19 compared to 24 hours ago as of 0:00 a.m. local time on Sunday, raising the total number of infections to 10,728.
- Saudi Arabia Signs SR955 Million Contract with China for Testing Coronavirus SPA 26 Apr 2020 -- In implementation of the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and His Royal Highness the Crown Prince to immediately provide necessary equipment, supplies and medications to confront the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and as a result of the phone call made today between Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud and Chinese President Xi Jinping; the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the Government of the People's Republic of China signed a SR 995 million contract providing nine million tests to diagnose the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) covering nine million people in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- COVID-19 Follow-up Committee Holds 67th Meeting SPA 26 Apr 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 67th meeting today.
- Taiwan reports no new COVID-19 cases for fourth time in month CNA 26 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan on Sunday reported no new daily confirmed cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus for the fourth time in a month and no new local infections for 14 consecutive days, keeping the total number of those infected in the country at 429, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- China donates medical supplies to Albania to help fight coronavirus Global Times 26 Apr 2020 -- A batch of medical supplies donated by the Chinese government arrived at Albania's Tirana International Airport on Saturday to help the country fight the coronavirus pandemic.
- Africa's COVID-19 death toll surpasses 1,331, as confirmed cases rise to 29,053: Africa CDC People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- The death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic on the African continent has reached 1,331 as confirmed positive cases reached 29,053 as of Saturday, the Africa Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said.
- Mongolia confirms 1 new COVID-19 case, taking total to 38 People's Daily 26 Apr 2020 -- Mongolia's National Center for Communicable Diseases (NCCD) confirmed one new COVID-19 case on Sunday, bringing the total number of cases in the country to 38.
- Egypt seeks aid from IMF amid virus-induced economic downturn Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- Egypt plans to start discussions 'within days' with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on an aid package to offset the economic impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Canada warns against use of anti-malarial drugs as coronavirus treatment Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- Canada has warned against the use of a family of anti-malarial drugs to treat or prevent the new coronavirus, stressing that they can have fatal side effects.
- Pandemic grows, most Muslim states usher in Ramadan under lockdown Press TV 26 Apr 2020 -- Global coronavirus cases are expected to hit 3 million in a few days, and the death toll from COVID-19 has passed the 200,000 mark, according to a Reuters tally.
- COVID-19: Iran's Rohani Says New Tracking System Could Lead To Mosque Reopenings; Pakistan Extends Suspension Of International Flights RFE/RL 26 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 205,000 with nearly 3 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Coronavirus Outbreak In Belarus Orphanage For Disabled Children Raises Alarm RFE/RL 26 Apr 2020 -- The founder of a charity that supports an orphanage for children with developmental disabilities in Belarus says it is a "shattering blow" that coronavirus has spread to the facility.
- Oman announces 93 new COVID-19 cases, 10 deaths SPA 26 Apr 2020 -- Oman's Ministry of Health announced on Sunday 93 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Sultanate of Oman to 1,998.
- Kuwait announces 183 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death SPA 26 Apr 2020 -- Kuwait on Sunday reported 183 new coronavirus, COVID-19, infections in the last 24 hours, bringing the total of infections to 3,075, while one death was reported, bringing the total fatalities' toll up to 20.
- Russia to Deliver 40+ Tonnes of Medicine to Venezuela to Fight COVID by 9 May - Ambassador Sputnik 26 Apr 2020 -- Russia plans to ship more than 40 tonnes of medicine to Venezuela to fight against coronavirus, Russia's Ambassador to Caracas Sergei Melik-Bagdasarov said.
- Joint Statement from the Co-Chairs of the Special ASEAN-United States Foreign Ministers' Meeting on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) US Dept. of State 26 Apr 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America and the Lao PDR as the co-Chairs of the the Special ASEAN-United States Foreign Ministers' Meeting on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) conducted via video conference on April 22/23, 2020.
- From bustling streets to lockdown: Bangladesh and the UN mobilize to fight COVID-19: a UN Resident Coordinator blog UN News 26 Apr 2020 -- The UN is working closely with the authorities, civil society and the private sector in Bangladesh, as the south Asian country braces for the COVID-19 pandemic. By the UN Resident Coordinator in Bangladesh, Mia Seppo.
- Cameroon COVID Spread Frees Prisoners VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- Thousands of Cameroonian prisoners have effectively regained their freedom, as ordered by the central African state's President Paul Biya, after his government reported that the coronavirus pandemic was spreading and inmates were among the groups with the highest level of exposure. The government has, however, not provided the number of infected inmates but says more than 1,500 people have been tested COVID-19 positive in Cameroon in less than two months, with over 50 deaths.
- Argentina Extends Coronavirus Lockdown VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- Argentina is extending its coronavirus lockdown until May 10, excluding towns of under 500,000, where the question is up to provincial authorities.
- COVID: Syrian Facilities Holding IS Prisoners Receive Needed Supplies VOA 26 Apr 2020 -- U.S.-led coalition forces delivered much-needed medical and sanitation supplies to detention facilities in Syria holding 10,000 Islamic State prisoners, the coalition said Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|