21 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- SECDEF Appoints New Convening Authority for Military Commissions DoD 21 Apr 2020 -- Secretary of Defense Mark T. Esper designated Col. Jeffrey D. Wood to serve as the Convening Authority for Military Commissions, April 17.
- COVID-19 Doesn't Stop Homeland Defense DoD News 21 Apr 2020 -- The ongoing war against the coronavirus hasn't kept U.S. Northern Command or North American Aerospace Defense Command from defending North America against meddling Russian aircraft or North Korean missile launches, the commands' top officer said.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 92 WHO 21 Apr 2020
- All coronavirus information open to every country from beginning: WHO People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Monday said that it has been worked closely with experts from the United States, especially after the coronavirus outbreak, and all the information is open to every country from the beginning.
- Why is accusation that COVID-19 virus originates in lab false, wrong? People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- The accusations that the novel coronavirus causing the COVID-19 pandemic was created in the laboratory or in a laboratory in China's Wuhan are false and wrong, several French scientists have said recently.
- WHO: Novel Coronavirus of 'Animal Origin', Shows No Signs of Human Manipulation Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- As entities and individuals around the world continue to speculate and form conspiracy theories regarding the origin of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, the World Health Organization (WHO) maintains that no available evidence points to the virus being a creation of a lab.
- Study: COVID-19 Mutates More Than Previously Believed, 30-Plus Strains Exist Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- A new study carried out by researchers at Zhejiang University in Hangzhou, China, finds that COVID-19 has mutated into at least 30 different variations, and that the ability of the novel coronavirus to mutate has been underestimated.
- Over 100 countries join efforts to evaluate therapeutics for COVID-19: WHO chief People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday said that as the organization is continuing to lead R&D, more than 100 countries have joined the efforts to evaluate therapeutics for COVID-19.
- WHO says life with coronavirus must be considered new normal +World updates Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) says life with the new coronavirus must be considered a new normal until vaccination or effective treatment is developed for the disease caused by the pathogen (COVID-19).
- Trump's move to cut WHO funding shows US's hegemonic mindset: China Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- China has blasted the United States for its move to halt funding to the World Health Organization (WHO) amid global fight against the new coronavirus pandemic, saying the measure reflects Washington's typical hegemonic mindset.
- Remarks by President Trump and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 21 Apr 2020
- Trump Agrees to Double COVID Testing for New York VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo says the White House has promised to help the state double its coronavirus testing capacity.
- US Northcom and ARNORTH Commanders Discuss Ongoing COVID-19 Efforts DoD 21 Apr 2020 -- Air Force General Terrence J. O'Shaughnessy, Commander, U.S. Northern Command; Army Lieutenant General Laura J. Richardson, Commander, U.S. Army North
- Army seeks 10,000 low-cost ventilators to combat COVID-19 Army News 21 Apr 2020 -- Within six to eight weeks, the Army wants to deploy more than 10,000 affordable, low-maintenance ventilators to help COVID-19 patients, says a top Army researcher, based on designs from the Army's new virtual "Shark Tank-like" competition.
- Trump Says Will Sign Executive Order Temporarily Suspending Immigration Into US Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The US president's announcement takes place amid the continuing spreading of the COVID-19 virus in the US and throughout the world, with nearly 2,500,000 cases confirmed globally, and at least 170,000 deaths registered.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 21 Apr 2020 -- In an effort to minimize the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 and to prioritize the health and safety of Department of the Air Force personnel, the following modifications have been made:
- New York Governor Heads to Washington to Seek COVID-19 Testing Assistance VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- New York's governor is heading to Washington Tuesday, where he said he will "tell the truth" to President Donald Trump about the need for the federal government to help states carry out large-scale coronavirus testing.
- Trump Says US Suspending Immigration Due to Coronavirus VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says he will suspend immigration to the United States due to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Elective Outpatient Treatment Can Resume in Counties and Hospitals Without Significant Risk of COVID-19 Surge Starting next Week New York State 21 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 21 Apr 2020
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 21 Apr 2020
- US COVID-19 statistics challenged by multiple research: lethal virus is far more widespread in the country than previously thought People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Despite having the most confirmed COVID-10 infections of any country, in fact, the number of confirmed cases might be severely underestimated, posing lurking threats to both the US and the world.
- Fauci urges caution for U.S. states to reopen, as anti-quarantine protests pop up People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Anthony Fauci, a top expert on infectious disease in the United States, urged caution on Monday for U.S. states to reopen, as anti-quarantine protests are popping up around the nation.
- Trump says to ban immigration into US over 'coronavirus pandemic' Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- President Donald Trump has said he will sign an executive order suspending all immigration to the United States as the coronavirus crisis deepens.
- New York State Reports 481 COVID-19 Deaths on 20 April, Compared to 478 Day Earlier - Cuomo Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The US state of New York reported 481 novel coronavirus (COVID-19)-related deaths on 20 April compared to 478 fatalities the previous day, Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a press briefing on Tuesday.
- Staying Connected, Staying TR Strong NNS 21 Apr 2020 -- If you were told you would be spending two weeks in Guam, images of the beach might come to mind. You'd probably picture yourself relaxing in the sand, soaking up the sun, and then eventually, heading back to your cozy beach-front hotel room to rest and recharge for another day of the same.
- U.S. Air Force builds facility in Guam to accommodate Roosevelt sailors with COVID-19 People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- U.S. Air Force announced Monday it joined efforts to contain the outbreak of COVID-19 among sailors from aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, which docked in Guam last month.
- US Places Some Missile Defence Crews in Full Isolation Amid COVID-19 Pandemic - NORAD Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The US military has placed some of its ballistic missile defence personnel in full isolation to ensure they do not contract the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and can perform their mission, Northern Command (NORTCOM) and North American Aerospace Defence Command (NORAD) head Gen. Terrence O'Shaughnessy told reporters on Tuesday.
- DOD Providing Leave Leniency Due to COVID-19 Travel Restrictions DoD News 21 Apr 2020 -- Travel restrictions made necessary by the COVID-19 pandemic have resulted in the Defense Department providing leave leniency for service members who accrue too much leave and might otherwise lose it.
- Wuhan sticks to defense after reopening from lockdown Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- Wuhan is recovering from its 76-day lockdown after the city was severely hit by the novel coronavirus epidemic, but the city still keeps strict measures to defend its efforts and sacrifices in the past months.
- Domestic COVID-19 cases exceed imported ones Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- Clustered coronavirus infections in Harbin, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province have further expanded and resulted in Tuesday's reporting of more new domestic infections than imported ones for the first time in six weeks.
- COVID-19 patients undergo "14+14" recovery scheme in Wuhan Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- COVID-19 patients, regardless of their nationality, who are discharged from hospitals in Wuhan are undergoing the 14+14 recovery scheme - 14 days of centralized quarantine and another 14 days of home quarantine, officials said on Tuesday.
- Hong Kong to extend social distancing measures for another 2 weeks amid COVID-19 epidemic Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- China's Hong Kong will extend its social distancing measures that will expire at midnight on Thursday for another 14 days to ensure the COVID-19 epidemic will be completely controlled.
- China devotes every effort to treat every COVID-19 patient: official People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- China will make all-out efforts with superior resources and technology to treat every COVID-19 patient, a health official said Tuesday.
- Central Chinese city strengthens supervision over anti-epidemic exports People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- The customs of Changsha, capital of central China's Hunan Province, said it has strengthened inspection of medical supplies for export.
- Chaoyang District in Beijing classified as a high-risk area People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Chaoyang District in Beijing has been classified as a high-risk area for the COVID-19 pandemic as a novel coronavirus cluster occurred there within the last 14 days, Pang Xinghuo, deputy director of the Beijing Center for Disease Prevention and Control, said on Monday at a news conference held by the Beijing municipal government.
- China mulls COVID-19 containment among int'l air freight crews People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Chinese customs have rolled out contingency plans targeting potential COVID-19 infections among international air freight crews, as part of its efforts to smooth the global supply chain on the basis of epidemic containment.
- China's anti-virus measures effective in curbing imported cases via int'l flights People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- China's measures of redirecting international flights scheduled to arrive in its capital Beijing have been effective in curbing potential imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), an official said Monday.
- Guangzhou expands nucleic acid testing to prevent COVID-19 People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Southern Chinese metropolis Guangzhou will expand the scope of nucleic acid testing to prevent the novel coronavirus epidemic from rebounding, local authorities said on Monday.
- Spokesman says China is "victim of COVID-19, not perpetrator" People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- A Chinese spokesman on Monday denounced some U.S. politicians claiming to sue the Chinese side for causing the global spread of COVID-19, and asked them to stop attacking and blaming China for nothing.
- Factbox: China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Monday, local health authority said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports four new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported four new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Monday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,587, the National Health Commission said Tuesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 11 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 21 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Tuesday that it received reports of 11 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Monday, of which four were imported.
- Chinese Media Publishes Report Offering Insight Into China's COVID-19 Response Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- China Daily published a bilingual report on Tuesday detailing China's measures to combat the COVID-19 outbreak to provide health workers and officials around the world a reference and glimpse into the country's herculean effort to overcome the epidemic.
- Press Group Warns of China's Coronavirus Misinformation War Radio Free Asia 21 Apr 2020 -- An international press freedom group has warned of a campaign of coronavirus misinformation by China, which it ranked 177th out of 180 countries in an annual global press freedom index on Tuesday.
- ONS: Coronavirus deaths are 41 percent higher Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- As doubts continue to mount over the UK's official coronavirus casualty rate, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) has dramatically entered the fray to effectively validated the worst fears of government critics.
- England's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises by More Than 700 in 24 Hours Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The day before, England's daily coronavirus death toll rose by 429 people, according to the National Health Service.
- Britain Says 2 Research Teams Progressing on Potential COVID Vaccines VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- British Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced Tuesday that two separate British research teams are making significant progress on a COVID-19 vaccine, with one them planning to run trials on people on Thursday.
- No 'Exit': UK Coronavirus Restrictions Could Last Throughout 2020 – Report Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- On Thursday, the UK government announced the extension of coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions implemented to enforce social distancing for another three weeks amid the ongoing pandemic, reportedly ending 7 May.
- Number of Infected in Spain Rises to 204,178, Death Toll Reaches 21,282 Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The country is currently second in the world and first in Europe in terms of confirmed cases, right after the United States. The death toll in Spain, however, is lower than in Italy, where at least 24,114 died because of the pandemic.
- Spain's COVID-19 Cases, Deaths Show Slight Increase Overnight VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Spain's Health Ministry said the country saw deaths attributed to the new coronavirus rise on Tuesday, with 430 new fatalities, bringing the total death toll to 21,282.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 21 Apr 2020
- Coronavirus death toll hits 5,297 in Iran IRNA 21 Apr 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office said on Tuesday that a total of 84,802 have been infected with COVID-19 in Iran, from whom 5,297 have lost their lives to the virus.
- Iran Says 1,000 Foreign Prisoners Released Temporarily Due To Virus Outbreak RFE/RL 21 Apr 2020 -- Iran says it has released temporarily more than 1,000 foreign prisoners due to the coronavirus outbreak, following criticism by UN human rights experts.
- Health Ministry Spokesman: 1147 New COVID-19 Cases Reported in Saudi Arabia SPA 21 Apr 2020 -- Spokesman of the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali said that 1147 new cases were reported today in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Taiwan confirms 3 new cases of COVID-19 in Navy cluster infection CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- Three new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease from a recent cluster infection aboard a Taiwan naval ship were confirmed in Taiwan on Tuesday, bringing the total of infections to 425 in the country since the pandemic began late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- 229 Taiwanese return from Hubei in second special flight this week CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- A total of 229 Taiwan nationals, previously stranded in China's Hubei province due to the COVID-19 outbreak, returned to the country on a special flight late Tuesday and were immediately placed in quarantine.
- Two of 231 returnees from Wuhan show respiratory symptoms CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- One adult and one child from among the 231 Taiwan nationals who returned to Taiwan late Monday after being stranded in China's Hubei province because of the COVID-19 outbreak were found to have respiratory infections and hospitalized.
- Initial COVID-19 tests negative for 2 symptomatic returnees from Hubei CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- Initial tests for the COVID-19 coronavirus were negative for two returnees with suspected symptoms who arrived in Taiwan late Monday after being stranded in China's Hubei Province because of the pandemic, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- President asks military to get to bottom of COVID-19 cluster CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- The Presidential Office on Tuesday called on the nation's military to thoroughly investigate and find those responsible for a cluster COVID-19 infection on a Navy ship that has so far left 27 people infected with the deadly coronavirus.
- Two admirals removed from posts over COVID-19 infections on ship CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- Two Navy admirals have been removed from their posts pending further investigation into responsibility for a cluster COVID-19 coronavirus infection on a naval ship that has so far left 27 people infected with the virus, the nation's defense chief announced Tuesday.
- MND releases revised medical records for ship hit by COVID-19 CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense (MND) on Monday released revised medical records for a Navy ship hit by a cluster infection of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19), showing more visits, including 10 for upper respiratory symptoms.
- Face masks can soon be ordered at convenience stores CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- People will be able to order their fortnightly quota of nine masks at Taiwan's four major convenience store chains starting Wednesday, after the government again adjusted its mask rationing system.
- Taiwan, WHO again spar over controversial email to WHO CNA 21 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan and the World Health Organization (WHO) have again traded barbs over the email Taiwan sent to the WHO at the end of last year that it says alerted the world health body to possible human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus but was ignored.
- Coronavirus response: NATO mobilises its scientific network NATO 21 Apr 2020 -- NATO has tapped into its pool of defence scientists – the largest such network in the world - to support the COVID-19 emergency response.
- UN Food Chief: World Faces 2 Pandemics - COVID-19 and Hunger VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations' food chief warned Tuesday that while the world fights the coronavirus pandemic, it is also on the brink of a hunger pandemic.
- COVID-19 tears world apart Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- While the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned that "the worst is yet ahead of us" in the coronavirus outbreak, some Western countries and regions are rushing into resuming normalcy by reopening business and restarting economy which has suffered a deep blow following city lockdown and social distancing measures.
- Cautious optimism as Europe reopens Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- European residents and medical personnel stay cautiously optimistic toward the governments' fast resumption plan, which some deemed as a forced move under the pressure of stagnant economy while some countries in the continent have not yet reached the epidemic peak.
- Singapore's virus spike 'unlikely to impact China' Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- Concerns of imported cases from Singapore have risen in China after health authority in Southwest China's Chongqing Municipality reported one asymptomatic infection case from Singapore on Sunday.
- Third batch of Chinese aid arrives in Baghdad to assist COVID-19 fight Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- The third batch of Chinese medical aid arrived on Monday in Baghdad as part of China's assistance to boost Iraq's capability to contain the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Palestine receives medical aid from China Global Times 21 Apr 2020 -- Palestine on Monday received a batch of medical supplies provided by China, including protective gears and testing kits for COVID-19.
- Virus infections among US deportees reach Haiti, Mexico, Guatemala Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- Mexico and Haiti have reported coronavirus infections among refugees deported recently from the United States, noting a growing trend of contagion among the US deportees.
- COVID-19: WHO Urges Belarus To Implement Distancing Measures; Georgia To Extend State Of Emergency RFE/RL 21 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 171,000 with some 2.5 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- EU Takes Ashgabat's Word -- And Turkmenistan Misses Out On Millions In Coronavirus Aid RFE/RL 21 Apr 2020 -- Turkmenistan is a country mostly covered by deserts, which naturally are known for their mirages.
- Kuwait: 85 new cases of COVID-19, two Deaths SPA 21 Apr 2020 -- The Kuwaiti Ministry of Health has registered 85 confirmed cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and two deaths during the past 24 hours, bringing the total number of registered cases in Kuwait to 2080, Kuwait News Agency (KUNA) reported.
- Oman Reports 98 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 21 Apr 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health has announced 98 new cases of novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the number of infections in the country to 1508, while the total deaths reached 8, Oman News Agency (ONA) reported.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Canada Exceeds 37,300 With 1,728 Fatalities - Health Agency Sputnik 21 Apr 2020 -- The number of Canadians confirmed to have contracted the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) disease has increased to 37,382, with the virus-related death toll rising to 1,728, updated data from Canada's Public Health Agency revealed on Tuesday.
- Ugandan Security Forces Arrest Writer, TV Anchor After Coronavirus Posts VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Ugandan security forces have arrested a writer and a television news anchor over posts they allegedly wrote on social media related to the coronavirus pandemic. Author Kakwenza Rukirabashaija appeared in court Monday, charged with committing an act that could spread the virus. Police also detained TV anchor Samson Kasumba as he left work and say he is under investigation.
- Jamaica Tightens Curfews and Makes Wearing Mask Mandatory VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness is clamping down on the hours people can move about freely as the country tries to contain the coronavirus.
- Brazil's New Health Minister Outlines Plans to Double Covid Testing VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Brazil's new health minister said the government will more than double the country's capability for coronavirus testing and devise a plan to end social isolation, which Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro said is bad for the economy.
- Covid-related Medical Supplies Arrive in Argentina from China VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Tons of covid-related medical supplies are arriving in Argentina from China.
- Data Analysis: Less Testing Could Account for Poorer Nations' Lower Virus Cases VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in developing nations in Asia is relatively low when compared to those in other regions, but that is unlikely to be the good news optimists hope it is. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) conducted a data analysis suggesting the low figures are due to less testing–meaning there's a danger the contagion could explode as cases go undetected.
- Southeast Asia Speeds Up Prison Releases to Stave Off Coronavirus VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Southeast Asian nations are joining a growing list of countries around the world rushing to release prisoners from overcrowded jails in hopes of warding off new outbreaks of COVID-19, though some are hesitating.
- Who Will Foot Economic Costs of Coronavirus Pandemic? VOA 21 Apr 2020 -- Many of Europe's young have rallied to the call to practice social distancing and observe lockdowns, determined to do their bit to protect the "baby boomer" elderly and those more vulnerable to the coronavirus.
- US worries coronavirus outbreak may threaten deal with Taliban Press TV 21 Apr 2020 -- US officials have reportedly expressed concern about a possible failure of Washington's bid to end its war in Afghanistan if Taliban and government prisoners die of coronavirus infection before being swapped as outlined under a US-Taliban deal.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|