20 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 91 WHO 20 Apr 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 20 April 2020 WHO 20 Apr 2020
- WHO Chief: Worst on Coronavirus Pandemic Yet to Come VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- The chief of the World Health Organization warned Monday that the coronavirus pandemic is far from over, even as some countries gingerly started to ease restrictions.
- Onset of COVID-19 pandemic boosts support for international cooperation UN News 20 Apr 2020 -- Initial results of a UN initiative to help decide the future direction of the Organization have revealed overwhelming support for international cooperation, which has grown significantly since COVID-19 began spreading around the world.
- IMF, World Bank urge countries to keep trade open amid COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank Group (WBG) have called on countries to keep trade open as the world battles the COVID-19 pandemic, warning that export controls on medical supplies and other essentials could backfire.
- UN issues appeal to bolster COVID-19 'logistics backbone' or response could stutter to a halt UN News 20 Apr 2020 -- The heads of major UN humanitarian agencies and offices have launched an urgent appeal for $350 million to support global aid hubs to help those most at risk during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Lifting lockdowns does not signal the end of COVID-19: WHO chief UN News 20 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has reiterated its stance on the lifting of lockdown measures aimed at protecting the public against the spread of COVID-19.
- Lifting lockdown restrictions is not end of epidemic: WHO chief People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Sunday that lifting lockdown restrictions for COVID-19 is not the end of the epidemic, it's just the beginning of the next phase.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 20 Apr 2020
- NY force of 3,600 on duty 42 days into COVID-19 response Army News 20 Apr 2020 -- Forty-two days into the COVID-19 pandemic response mission, The New York National Guard has 3,600 troops performing duties ranging from answering public inquiry hotlines to helping New York City retrieve the remains of those who have died at home.
- DOD Humanitarian Assistance to the Italian Republic in Response to COVID-19 DoD 20 Apr 2020 -- The Secretary of Defense, Dr. Mark T. Esper, today authorized the Department of Defense to provide humanitarian support to the Italian Republic as part of its global coronavirus pandemic relief efforts.
- Undersecretary Of Defense (A&S) Provides Update on DOD COVID-19 Response Efforts DoD 20 Apr 2020 -- Ellen M. Lord, Undersecretary Of Defense For Acquisition And Sustainment
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 20 Apr 2020
- Justice Department Issues Business Review Letter to AmerisourceBergen Supporting Distribution of Critical Medicines Under Expedited Procedure for COVID-19 Pandemic Response US Dept. of Justice 20 Apr 2020 -- The Department of Justice announced today that it will not challenge collaborative efforts of AmerisourceBergen Corporation (AmerisourceBergen) to identify global supply opportunities, ensure product quality, and facilitate product distribution of medications and other healthcare supplies to treat COVID-19 patients.
- Air Force signs agreement for oral fluid coronavirus testing at Air Force installations US Air Force 20 Apr 2020 -- The Department of the Air Force signed an agreement April 17 with Curative, Inc., to deploy and scale an oral fluid coronavirus test, which recently received a Food and Drug Administration emergency use authorization, across Air Force installations.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 20 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 20 Apr 2020
- New York Appears on Coronavirus 'Descent' VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- After weeks on a warlike footing and suffering thousands of deaths, New York's governor said Monday that the state appears to be on the "descent" from its apex of coronavirus cases.
- Fauci: US Economy Won't Recover Until Coronavirus Controlled VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- The top U.S. infectious disease expert on Monday warned protesters who are ignoring their governors' stay-at-home orders that the country will not recover economically until the ravaging coronavirus is under control.
- Trump Reiterates US Readiness to Help Iran With Ventilators Amid COVID-19 Spread Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has once again reiterated US readiness to provide Iran with aid amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- Nearly 37,000 US National Guard Troops Support Efforts to Fight COVID-19 - Pentagon Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- Some 37,000 US National Guardsmen are providing support in the response efforts to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic throughout the United States, the Department of Defense said in a press release on Monday.
- New York Registers 478 COVID-19 Deaths on Sunday Down From 507 on Saturday - Governor Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- The US state of New York reported a decrease in the number of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) related deaths on April 19 with 478 lives lost, compared to 507 fatalities registered a day before, Governor Andrew Cuomo said in a press briefing on Monday.
- US COVID-19 cases top 750,000 as states weigh risk of reopening economy Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Confirmed infections of COVID-19 in the United States exceeded 750,000 with over 40,000 deaths recorded as of Sunday while federal and state leaders are making an increasingly hard choice between ensuring public health safety and reopening the battered economy.
- COVID-19 cases in U.S. top 750,000: Johns Hopkins University Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in the United States topped 750,000 Sunday evening, reaching 759,086 as of 8:00 p.m. (0000 GMT on Monday), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Comfort Admits Patients From New Jersey NNS 20 Apr 2020 -- The hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) began admitting patients from hospitals in New Jersey April 17 in an effort to expand its support of the nation's COVID-19 response efforts.
- Surface Warfare Center Designs Portable Oxygen Manifolds for Camp Pendleton COVID-19 Response NNS 20 Apr 2020 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC), Corona Division recently designed a low-cost, mass-producible portable medical oxygen manifold for Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton COVID-19 response.
- US Coronavirus Deaths Top 41,000 SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- The United States coronavirus deaths topped 41,000 on Monday, according to a Reuters tally.
- COVID-19 deaths in U.S. top 40,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 deaths in the United States topped 40,000 by 3:00 p.m. local time Sunday (1900 GMT), reaching 40,585, according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Chinese FM urges US to stop conspiracy theories on COVID-19, as 'make China pay' campaign makes no sense Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- US officials like Peter Navarro should stop confusing right and wrong while Washington should realize that the novel coronavirus is the enemy, not China, Chinese foreign ministry said in response to the US considering sending investigators to China to look into the outbreaks and some even insisted on making China pay for the losses caused by the pandemic.
- 4,106 under screening after clustered infections in two Harbin hospitals Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Clustered COVID-19 infections at two hospitals in Harbin, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province have caused at least 4,106 people to undergo screening to determine whether they are close contacts.
- Freight train loaded with 20 mln masks departs China for Russia Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- A China-Europe freight train loaded with 20 million face masks departed east China's Suzhou city on Monday and will arrive in Moscow in 12 days.
- China does not want the world's general public to be misled by groundless accusations Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- China well understands the grim and severe challenges the U.S. is facing in the pandemic. We share the worries and woes and extend our deep sympathies, and are providing support and assistance to the world, U.S. included for sure, to the best of our ability, despite China's own high demand for medical supplies at home as millions are returning to work, and concerns over imported cases and a COVID-19 resurgence persist.
- Imported infection in Harbin spreads across province Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- An extra-long infection chain in Harbin, Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province, has extended to more neighboring regions, sounding the alarm over the infectivity of the imported case.
- Manzhouli bordering Russia receives batches of medical supplies for severe cases Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Another batch of medical supplies and seven ambulances dispatched by China's National Health Commission (NHC) arrived Monday at the rail station in Manzhouli, a city on the border with Russia in North China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.
- Chaoyang district in Beijing the only 'high-risk' COVID-19 area in China Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Beijing's Chaoyang district is classified as the only district in China with a "high risk" of COVID-19 infection, according to official categorization, followed by northeastern city Suifenhe and two districts in South China's Guangzhou that are categorized as having medium risk due to the threat brought by imported cases.
- Regional cooperation vital for virus response People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The novel coronavirus pandemic could help China and neighboring countries step up nontraditional security cooperation for a stronger community with a shared future as President Xi Jinping has been committed to promoting neighborhood diplomacy based on the principles of friendship, sincerity, mutual benefit and inclusiveness, experts said.
- China's health authority calls for int'l cooperation in fighting COVID-19 pandemic People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- China's health authority has called for international cooperation to carry out joint prevention and control in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.
- China's fight against novel coronavirus outbreak People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Here are the latest developments on the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China:
- China's Heilongjiang reports 7 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- China's Heilongjiang Province Sunday reported three new locally-transmitted confirmed COVID-19 cases and four new imported confirmed cases, the provincial health commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports eight new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported eight new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,583, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported in central China's Hubei Province Sunday, local health authority said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 12 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday that it received reports of 12 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland Sunday, of which eight were imported.
- Beijing requires nucleic acid tests for eight groups of people People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Beijing will carry out mandatory nucleic acid tests on eight groups of people, said a municipal health official at a press conference on Sunday.
- China calls for stronger testing regime to detect coronavirus despite drop in new infections Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- China has called for a stronger testing regime in an attempt to ensure all cases of the novel coronavirus have been detected, despite a drop in new virus infections in the country.
- France Registers more than 20,000 Coronavirus Deaths SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- France on Monday officially registered more than 20,000 deaths from coronavirus infections, and the pace of increase of fatalities sped up again after several days of slowing, as Reuters reported.
- Italy's New Infection Tally Falls to 2,256 SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Italy on Monday reported 2,256 new cases of the novel Coronavirus, the lowest daily infection figure in more than five weeks.
- Germany's coronavirus cases surpass 140,000, fatality rate at 3.1 pct Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Germany reported 1,775 new cases of COVID-19 infection in the past 24 hours, raising the country's cumulative number of infection to 141,672, fresh figures showed on Monday.
- Merkel: Germany Must Stay Vigilant in Coronavirus Fight SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Germany must stay cautious and disciplined in its fight against the Coronavirus outbreak to avoid a relapse in the coming weeks, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Monday.
- England's COVID-19 hospital death toll rises 429 to 14,829 SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 death toll in English hospitals rose 429 to 14,829, the national health service said. "15 of the 429 patients (aged between 49 and 92 years old) had no known underlying health condition," the health service reported, according to Reuters.
- UK Boosts COVID-19 Testing Capacity by Opening Another Diagnostic Lab Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- The UK government said in a press release on Monday that the second of the three planned mega labs – Lighthouse Lab – in northwest England's Cheshire county was now fully operational and ready to test thousands of COVID-19 patients' samples on daily basis.
- England's Coronavirus Death Toll Rises by More Than 400 in 24 Hours Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- Earlier in the day, the spokesman for Boris Johnson stated that the prime minister receives daily updates on the coronavirus situation in the country but he isn't doing any government work.
- Spain Coronavirus Cases Top 200,000 but Infection Rate Falling "a Lot" SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- The new coronavirus has infected more than 200,000 people in Spain, although the spread of the disease is slowing, officials said on Monday, as Reuters reported.
- Spain Confirms Rise in COVID-19 Cases to 200,210 Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- According to the Spanish Health Ministry, the death toll from coronavirus has increased to 20,852.
- Meeting on sanitary and epidemiological situation President of Russia 20 Apr 2020 -- Vladimir Putin held a meeting on the sanitary and epidemiological situation in the Russian Federation in video conference format.
- Int'l community should support WHO's efforts against COVID-19: Russian health minister People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- The international community should support the work of the World Health Organization (WHO) in the fight against the COVID-19, Russian Health Minister Mikhail Murashko said during a videoconference of G20 health ministers on Sunday.
- Russia's COVID-19 cases exceed 40,000 People's Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Russia has registered a new daily record of 6,060 COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours, raising the total number to 42,853 as of Sunday, official data showed.
- Russia's Coronavirus Peak Still Ahead - Putin Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- Russia recorded over 4,200 new COVID-19 cases on Monday, with the total surpassing 47,100.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 20 Apr 2020
- India Partially Reopens Economy Even as Coronavirus Cases Surge VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Nearly four weeks after imposing a stringent nationwide lockdown, India took tentative steps to restart its economy, easing restrictions on farm-based businesses and some industries in areas relatively unaffected by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Central Government constitutes 6 Inter-Ministerial Teams to make assessment of situation and augment State efforts to fight and contain spread of COVID-19 effectively India PIB 20 Apr 2020 -- The Centre has constituted 6 Inter-Ministerial Central Teams (IMCTs), two each for West Bengal and Maharashtra and one each for Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan to make on-spot assessment of situation and issue necessary directions to State Authorities for its redressal and submit their report to Central Government in larger interest of general public.
- Indian Initiative to fight COVID-19 India PIB 20 Apr 2020 -- The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), through its flagship New Millennium Indian Technology Leadership Initiative (NMITLI) program, has been supporting Cadila Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Ahmedabad since 2007 for developing a drug to save lives of critically ill patients suffering from Gram-negative sepsis.
- India's Ventilator Requirement Will Triple Within Next Week, Government Lab Researchers Say Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- New Delhi (Sputnik): As the number of cases in India has crossed the 17,000-case mark, several suggestions have been made that the country would require more ventilators, as the COVID-19 situation is developing.
- Islamabad, New Delhi spar over treatment of minorities, virus response Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan says the government of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi is deliberately targeting Muslims in India to divert attention from its poor response to the coronavirus epidemic.
- Official: COVID-19 kills 91 more in Iran IRNA 20 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Monday that 59,273 people out of a total of 83,505 infected by the coronavirus have survived while 5,209 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- 65% of Iranian nurses in front-line of fighting coronavirus IRNA 20 Apr 2020 -- The deputy health minister for nursing said on Monday that 80,856 nurses, equal to 65 percent of the nurses in the public section, are in the front-line of looking after coronavirus patients.
- Four al-Qaeda-linked terrorists arrested in Pakistan's Karachi IRNA 20 Apr 2020 -- Pakistani intelligence and security forces have arrested four al-Qaeda-linked terrorists during an operation in the southern city of Karachi.
- Iran ready to export medical equipment required in fighting coronavirus ISNA 20 Apr 2020 -- Iran's vice president for science and technology, Sorena Sattari announced that the country is ready to export medical equipment required in fighting coronavirus.
- Singapore reports 1426 new COVID-19 cases SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Singapore's health ministry confirmed 1426 new coronavirus infections today, a new daily record, bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases to 8014.
- Singapore Posts Record Number of New Coronavirus Cases VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Singapore said Monday it has an additional 1,426 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infections, the single biggest day increase for the city-state.
- Myanmar ships Rohingya prisoners back to Rakhine amid pandemic Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- Myanmar has shipped more than 800 recently released Rohingya prisoners back to the restive western state of Rakhine, where most members of the persecuted Muslim minority live under tight movement restrictions.
- Could Virus See Rohingya 'Floating Coffins' Crisis Return to ASEAN? VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Malaysia is using COVID-19 as an excuse to reject Rohingya Muslim refugees, human rights groups say, bringing flashbacks of 2015 when boat refugees died after escaping Myanmar in what the United Nations called "floating coffins."
- Taiwan confirms 2 new cases of COVID-19; total at 422 CNA 20 Apr 2020 -- Two new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease were confirmed in Taiwan on Monday, bringing the total to 422 since the pandemic began late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- CECC issues alert about movements of 24 infected military personnel CNA 20 Apr 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) has issued an alert regarding the movements of 24 military personnel who tested positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus disease after they returned recently from a goodwill mission on three Navy vessels.
- 231 Taiwanese return from Hubei, placed in quarantine CNA 20 Apr 2020 -- A total of 231 Taiwan nationals, originally stranded in China's Hubei province due to the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, returned to Taiwan late Monday on a special flight and were immediately placed in quarantine.
- Earliest cases of Navy infections happened on ship: CECC CNA 20 Apr 2020 -- The earliest cases of a recent cluster infection of the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) aboard a Taiwan naval ship happened after the sailors left Taiwan, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) Monday.
- Zimbabwe Extends COVID-19 Lockdown; Businesses Cry for Relief VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Zimbabwe has extended a nationwide coronavirus lockdown by two weeks to try to halt the spread of infections. The country has 25 confirmed infections so far and three deaths from the virus. Public health experts welcomed the extended restrictions but businesses and traders say they need relief to survive the economic damage.
- Zimbabwe extends COVID-19 lockdown by another 14 days Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Zimbabwe extends its COVID-19 lockdown by another 14 days to May 3, President Emmerson Mnangagwa announced Sunday.
- Coronavirus response: Slovak assistance to Italy illustrates solidarity within EU and NATO against global pandemic NATO 20 Apr 2020 -- Today (20 April 2020), Slovakia delivered medical supplies to Italy in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Coronavirus response: NATO continues to support Afghan security forces and institutions tackling global pandemic NATO 20 Apr 2020 -- The NATO-led Resolute Support mission is supporting Afghan security forces as they work to mitigate risks against the spread of COVID-19 while ensuring security for the Afghan people.
- WHO Fears US Funding Cuts Will Roll Back Health Gains in Africa VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization is fearful that funding cuts announced by the U.S. will deter its efforts to control the spread of the coronavirus in Africa. Aside from coronavirus, the WHO is concerned that vaccine-preventable diseases could also spread as countries are forced to cancel vaccination programs.
- Countries Gingerly Taking Steps to Return to Normal VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Several countries are gingerly taking steps to relax lockdown orders imposed to control the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- COVID-19 updates: Countries slowly loosening lockdown as 2.4mn infected, 165k dead Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- The new coronavirus is now running in the blood of 2,403,963 people across the world, and 165,227 others have died of the disease that it causes (COVID-19), according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. Given that the outbreak has been weighing heavily on the global economy and the heavy costs of the massive economic freeze, some countries have been pondering a cautious easing of the lockdown measures enforced to curtail the disease.
- COVID-19: Iran Loosens Restrictions; Russian Cases Spike RFE/RL 20 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 167,000 with more than 2.43 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- G20 Health Ministers Coordinate Efforts to Combat COVID-19 SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- The G20 Health Ministers held a virtual meeting today to further coordinate efforts in combatting COVID-19.
- COVID-19 caseload in LatAm tops 100,000 Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Latin America has registered more than 100,000 cases of COVID-19 as the pandemic spreads through the region, with Brazil and Peru together accounting for over half of the caseload.
- Confirmed COVID-19 cases surpass 1,000 in Cuba Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Cuba surpassed 1,000 on Sunday with 34 deaths, according to a senior Cuban health official.
- New Zealand set to lower COVID-19 alert level Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- New Zealand will move from COVID-19 Alert Level 4 to Alert Level 3 at 11:59 p.m. on April 27, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Monday.
- Bangladesh fetches COVID-19 preventive medical aids from China PLA Daily 20 Apr 2020 -- Bangladesh Air Force (BAF) has conducted a special ferry flight to fetch home COVID-19 preventive medical aids from China, the Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) said here Sunday.
- Canada's COVID-19 Cases Rise to 35,392, With Deaths Up to 1,611 - Health Officials Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- According to the World Health Organisation, the number of COVID-19 cases globally stands at 2,314,621, with 157,847 deaths.
- Ghana's Decision to Lift Partial COVID-19 Lockdown Criticized by Some VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Ghana has lifted a three-week partial lockdown in major cities over the coronavirus - one of the first African countries to ease such restrictions. Some Ghanaians say they fear the restrictions are being lifted too soon, while struggling shop owners and daily wage workers were already back at work as the lift took effect Monday.
- UNICEF appeals for $90m to help Middle East children amid pandemic Press TV 20 Apr 2020 -- UNICEF has called for $92.4 million in new funds to help combat the effects of the novel coronavirus on poverty-stricken areas in West Asia and North Africa.
- Egypt receives anti-coronavirus materials from China's Xinjiang Global Times 20 Apr 2020 -- Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research received on Sunday a batch of anti-coronavirus materials donated by China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region.
- 484 New Cases Identified as Recoveries Rise to 1,360, UAE SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- The UAE Government has announced the full recovery of 74 coronavirus patients after receiving the necessary healthcare, bringing the total number of recoveries to 1,360.
- No COVID-19 Recorded in Jordan on Monday, Only 8 at Borders SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- No COVID-19 cases were reported in any of Jordan's regions on Monday, but only 8 cases for truck drivers detected at the Kingdom's eastern border, Jordanian Minister of Health Saad Jabir announced.
- COVID-19 cases in Gaza Strip rise to 15 SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Health Ministry in the Gaza Strip reported two new cases of the novel coronavirus, bringing the number of infections in the coastal enclave to 15, according to Jordan News Agency (Petra).
- Kuwait announces 62 COVID-19 recoveries SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Kuwait announced on Monday the recovery of 62 cases from the novel coronavirus, raising the country's total recoveries to 367.
- Oman announces 144 new COVID-19 cases, 238 recoveries SPA 20 Apr 2020 -- Omani Ministry of Health announced on Monday 144 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Sultanate of Oman to 1,410.
- Rights Defenders Accuse Kazakh Authorities Of Using Coronavirus Restrictions To Stifle Dissent RFE/RL 20 Apr 2020 -- Rights defenders in Kazakhstan say the government is using restrictions imposed to slow the coronavirus outbreak to crack down on dissent.
- Venezuela Expects Further COVID-19 Humanitarian Aid Shipment From Russia – Caracas Sputnik 20 Apr 2020 -- Russia has guaranteed the delivery of another shipment of medical supplies to Venezuela to slow the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak. A virtual meeting of medical officials from both countries is expected in the coming days, the Venezuelan Foreign Ministry said on Monday.
- Countries Reopen After Flattening Coronavirus Curve VOA 20 Apr 2020 -- Several countries in Europe and Asia are gradually easing their coronavirus lockdowns this week. From extensive testing to strict social distancing, these countries took aggressive measures before cautiously lifting some restrictions.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|