08 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 79 WHO 08 Apr 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 8 April 2020 WHO 08 Apr 2020
- Global death toll of COVID-19 exceeds 70,000: WHO People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- A total of 72,776 people had died of COVID-19 globally as the number of infections surged to 1,282,931 on Tuesday, according to the latest figures showed by the situation dashboard of the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Over 80 pct of global workforce affected by COVID-19 pandemic: ILO report People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- More than four out of five people, or 81 percent in the global workforce of 3.3 billion are currently affected by full or partial workplace closures due to COVID-19 pandemic, according to a report of the International Labour Organization (ILO) published here on Tuesday.
- COVID-19 deaths top 80,000 worldwide: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- The death toll from COVID-19 exceeded 80,000 worldwide by 3 p.m. EST (1900 GMT) on Tuesday, according to a tally by Johns Hopkins University.
- World struggling under viral invasion: 1.43mn infected, 82,000 dead Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- The number of coronavirus cases around the world has now reached 1,430,141, and 82,119 people have lost their lives due to complications caused by the viral infection, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University. Some 301,130 people have also recovered and been discharged from hospitals.
- COVID-19: impact could see 195 million job losses, says ILO chief UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The rapidly intensifying economic effects of COVID-19 on the world of work are proving to be far worse than the 2008-9 financial crisis, with cutbacks equivalent to nearly 200 million full-time workers expected in the next three months alone, the UN labour agency said.
- Swift rebound for world trade still possible through joint action to thwart coronavirus UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- Global trade in goods could fall by as much as a third this year due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, but a swift rebound in 2021 is possible if the world's economic policymakers – working together – act immediately, the World Trade Organization (WTO) said on Wednesday.
- Countries Worldwide in Different Stages of COVID-19 Trajectory VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Tuesday saw an increase in deaths and new COVID-19 cases in Britain, France, some eastern European countries, Sweden, Japan and the United States, while China, South Korea and a handful of other countries reported a decline in deaths and new infections.
- In Global Life-Death Struggle, Democracy Changes Course VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Outside wartime nothing like it as ever been seen before in modern Western history. The lockdowns by democratic states with their draconian constraints on civil liberties and private enterprise fly in the face of an historical progression that's seen the size and roles of governments shrunk and individual liberty boosted.
- No need to politicize COVID-19: UN health agency chief UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 pandemic should not be politicized as unity is the "only option" to defeat the disease, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday.
- Trump Threatens to Cut WHO Funding VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- The United States is "going to put a very powerful hold" on money it sends to the World Health Organization, President Donald Trump said on Tuesday, blaming the United Nations humanitarian entity of missing the onslaught of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- World Health Organization 'absolutely critical' to neutralizing coronavirus threat – UN chief UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) must be supported across the world, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres said on Wednesday, describing the UN health agency, which has led the multilateral response since the beginning, as "absolutely critical" in overcoming the COVID-19 pandemic.
- WHO Chief Warns Politicizing Coronavirus Crisis Could Lead to More 'Body Bags' VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned countries Wednesday that politicizing the global coronavirus crisis could lead to more deaths after U.S. President Donald Trump criticized WHO and threatened to cut off funding for the international public health organization.
- Trump attacks WHO over coronavirus, threatens to withhold funding Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has blamed the World Health Organization for getting every aspect of the coronavirus "wrong," threatening to pull back funding from the international organization.
- WHO denies being 'China-centric' after Trump comment Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization has rejected claims by the US President Donald Trump, accusing the body of being "China-centric," saying its work with Beijing was important to understand the outbreak, which began in the province of Wuhan.
- US plan to halt WHO funding to hurt intl. cooperation on COVID-19 pandemic: FM Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- The US' plan to halt funding for the "China centric" World Health Organization (WHO) will create a negative impact on international cooperation in fighting the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, China's Foreign Ministry said on Wednesday.
- Trump Optimistic on COVID-19 Recovery VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Hours after the United States saw the deadliest day in the fight against the coronavirus, U.S. President Donald Trump came out with a prediction of better days to come. At a news conference Wednesday evening, the president said the expected number of COVID-19 deaths in the United States is now about 61,000 – down from a recent estimate of 82,000 and down even further from an estimate earlier this month predicting a death toll of at least 100,000 and as many as 240,000.
- How Trump Amassed Power Battling Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- In a matter of weeks, U.S. President Donald Trump has assumed extraordinary power and influence at a time of national crisis.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 08 Apr 2020
- Pompeo Touts U.S. Foreign Help Against Pandemic As Trump Threatens WHO Funding RFE/RL 08 Apr 2020 -- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says the United States will lead the world in providing foreign assistance to fight the spread of the novel coronavirus, even as some allies have expressed concerns over Washington's tactics to acquire equipment for its own needs and its failure to ease sanctions during the pandemic.
- Press Briefing by Chief of the National Guard Bureau General Joseph Lengyel and Louisiana Adjutant General Brigadier General Keith Waddell DoD 08 Apr 2020 -- Air Force General Joseph L. Lengyel, Chief, National Guard Bureau; Army Brigadier General Keith Waddell, Adjutant General Of Louisiana
- Corps of Engineers Makes Way For Thousands of Hospital Beds DoD News 08 Apr 2020 -- The Army Corps of Engineers is making significant progress in providing thousands of hospital beds for the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic in facilities built to handle patients with and without the virus.
- Corps of Engineers Rapidly Assessing, Building Hospital Spaces DoD News 08 Apr 2020 -- At the request of mayors and governors from multiple states and territories, Army Corps of Engineers personnel are assessing or building structures for both non-COVID-19 and COVID-19 hospitals.
- DOD Ramps Up COVID-19 Response Efforts From Coast to Coast DoD News 08 Apr 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic is slowing down a lot of things, but not the Defense Department's medical apparatus, which is now operating from coast to coast to bring its medical expertise and capacity to bear on the medical crisis around the nation.
- US Army Hard-Pressed to Build Temporary Hospitals Before COVID-19 Peak VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- The head of the Army Corps of Engineers is warning that his team is “beginning to run out of time” to build new temporary hospitals to expand capacity to combat the coronavirus across the country.
- Continuing U.S. Leadership in the Global COVID-19 Response Through Additional U.S. Foreign Assistance US Dept. of State 08 Apr 2020 -- "Thanks to the unmatched generosity of the American people and the efforts of the U.S. Government, the United States has continued to lead the world's public health and humanitarian response to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are building on that leadership, with another $225 million in health, humanitarian, and economic assistance to further boost response efforts worldwide."
- Trump says African Americans having higher rates of COVID-19 infection in U.S. People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday evidence shows that African Americans have higher rates of COVID-19 infection in the United States.
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Vermont Disaster Declaration The White House 08 Apr 2020
- New Jersey National Guard Sets Up Field Medical Station at Meadowlands DoD News 08 Apr 2020 -- Twenty-five New Jersey National Guard citizen soldiers and airmen answered the call for volunteers to set up a field medical station at the Meadowlands Exposition Center in Secaucus, New Jersey.
- U.S. Navy chief who fired captain of coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier resigns: report People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Acting Secretary of the U.S. Navy Thomas Modly reportedly resigned Tuesday after being forced to do so over his firing an aircraft carrier captain, who alarmed high-ranking officials about a novel coronavirus outbreak on board and pleaded for help.
- Sailor on Fourth US Navy Aircraft Carrier Diagnosed With COVID-19 Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- A fourth US aircraft carrier now has cases of COVID-19 among its crew. The USS Nimitz was preparing to deploy later this month for sea trials and had already begun bringing crew aboard.
- USNS Comfort Receives Critical Supplies in Support of NYC COVID-19 Response NNS 08 Apr 2020 -- Medical care providers aboard Military Sealift Command hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) received critical supplies in support of COVID-19 response efforts in New York City, April 8.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Directs Flags to be Flown at Half-Mast in Honor of Those We Have Lost to COVID-19 New York State 08 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts Including New Data on Racial Demographics and Expanded Health Care Worker Data California Department of Public Health 08 Apr 2020
- Wuhan Lockdown Ends Despite Concerns Over Asymptomatic Infections Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- Millions of people in the central Chinese city of Wuhan were once more allowed to travel around and leave their city after 76 days in lockdown amid the coronavirus pandemic, which emerged in the city in late December.
- 70 percent of fake COVID-19 news from China: Investigation Bureau CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan has detected a growing number of cases of disinformation related to the COVID-19 pandemic since late February, of which more than 70 percent originated from China, according to a recent Ministry of Justice Investigation Bureau (MJIB) briefing.
- Pompeo indirectly accuses China of dishonesty over COVID-19 pandemic Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has indirectly accused China of not being transparent and honest about the coronavirus pandemic in the country, which reported no deaths from the illness for the first time since the outbreak began.
- Like a phoenix, Wuhan reemerges from dark coronavirus lockdown in warm spring Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Those who had been staying in Wuhan since the city's lockdown to contain the COVID-19 pandemic keep asking themselves for more than two months: What do I want to do the most after the lockdown is lifted and life returns to normal?
- Hong Kong to close beauty, massage parlors amid COVID-19 epidemic Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Hong Kong will close beauty salons and massage parlors for 14 days since Friday, an official statement said Wednesday, adding to a string of social distancing measures to fight the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Cities cautiously welcome Wuhan returnees Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- As the lockdown in Wuhan ended on Wednesday, cities across China are taking a cautious attitude to welcome returnees from Wuhan, with many cities requiring them to take COVID-19 tests before leaving amid growing concerns over asymptomatic carriers.
- China demands unremitting containment efforts as Wuhan lockdown lifted Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has demanded no lax efforts in the COVID-19 response to prevent a resurgence of the outbreak as the hard-hit city of Wuhan lifted its 76-day lockdown.
- Wuhan reopens after 76-day lockdown People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Ending the lockdown of Wuhan, Hubei province, on Wednesday will become a milestone for China in securing final victory in the people's war against the COVID-19 outbreak under the command of President Xi Jinping, observers said.
- Countries flock to China to collect medical supplies amid epidemic People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Amid the global pneumonia outbreak, many countries have ordered medical supplies from China, some even sending airplanes to pick up the goods from the country, a way considered faster and safer.
- China sends medical supplies to Central and West Africa People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- On April 6, a Chinese airplane landed at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra, capital of Ghana, carrying anti-epidemic supplies from China to 18 countries in Central and West Africa, the CAAC News reported.
- Shanghai reports 5 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Shanghai reported five newly confirmed cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) from overseas Tuesday, the local health authority said Wednesday.
- China's Heilongjiang reports 25 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Northeast China's Heilongjiang Province reported 25 new confirmed COVID-19 cases from overseas Tuesday, the provincial health commission said Wednesday.
- China's Wuhan now has only 181 severe cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Wuhan, the Chinese city hardest hit by the COVID-19 outbreak, had only 181 patients in serious conditions, with 71 being critically ill, as of Monday, dropping from a peak of over 9,000 cases, a health official said Tuesday.
- China's Zhejiang to conduct COVID-19 tests on inbound personnel from Wuhan People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- East China's Zhejiang Province announced it will carry out necessary nucleic acid and serum tests on inbound personnel coming from Wuhan in the future 14 days.
- China succeeds in reducing COVID-19 mortality rate: WHO People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- China has successfully reduced the mortality rate of COVID-19 as the disease developed, said Gauden Galea, representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) in China, at a press conference Tuesday.
- China's COVID-19 severe cases drop to new low People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- China has brought the number of coronavirus patients in serious condition to a new low as the country gained invaluable experience in treatment and patient management.
- China demands unremitting containment efforts as Wuhan lockdown lifted People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese Vice Premier Sun Chunlan has demanded no lax efforts in the COVID-19 response to prevent a resurgence of the outbreak as the hard-hit city of Wuhan lifted its 76-day lockdown.
- Chinese coming from 26 countries must submit health info to fly People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese passengers who are going to fly from 26 countries to China are required to submit their health information prior to boarding the plane, the country's civil aviation regulator said on Tuesday.
- China's Hubei reports no increase in COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Tuesday in central China's Hubei Province, the province's health commission said Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland reports 62 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday it received reports of 62 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Tuesday, of which 59 were imported.
- Chinese mainland reports 59 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 59 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Tuesday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 1,042, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- 112 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- A total of 112 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Tuesday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Wuhan lifts outbound travel restrictions, ending months-long lockdown People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- As cars queued up at expressway toll gates and passengers prepared to board trains to leave Wuhan, the megacity in central China started lifting outbound travel restrictions from Wednesday after almost 11 weeks of lockdown to stem the spread of COVID-19.
- Xi chairs leadership meeting on regular epidemic control, work resumption PLA Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee, on Wednesday chaired a leadership meeting to make new arrangements on implementing regular epidemic prevention and control measures and fully advancing work resumption.
- Lifting of Wuhan lockdown important milestone for city, nation and the world PLA Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- Outbound passenger traffic from Wuhan, capital of Hubei province, the domestic epicenter of the novel coronavirus pandemic, finally received the green light on Wednesday. This is a much-longed for milestone in the country's fight against the virus.
- French Navy Flagship Will Return to Port Due to Coronavirus Symptoms on Board Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- The country is trying to curb the pandemic via severe quarantine measures. At least 73,488 people have been diagnosed with COVID-19, and 8,896 have succumbed to the disease, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- British PM spending second night in intensive care: spokesman People's Daily 08 Apr 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is spending a second night in intensive care in hospital, where he is being treated for COVID-19, and he is in "stable" condition, a Downing Street spokesman said on Tuesday night.
- Netherlands Reports 969 New Coronavirus Cases and 147 Deaths SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Netherlands reported today 969 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of cases to 20549.
- Meeting with regional heads on combatting the spread of the coronavirus in Russia President of Russia 08 Apr 2020 -- Vladimir Putin is holding a meeting, via videoconference, with heads of Russian regions on combatting the spread of the novel coronavirus infection in the country.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 08 Apr 2020
- Indian Farmers Struggle to Harvest, Sell Crops During COVID Restrictions VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Summer fruits and vegetables have ripened, a bumper crop of wheat is ready for harvest in India, but hobbled by severe labor shortages, transport bottlenecks and plummeting demand due to a nationwide coronavirus lockdown, millions of farmers are staring at huge losses.
- India sees biggest jump in Covid-19 cases SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- India on Wednesday reported its biggest jump in Covid-19-related deaths and cases in the past 24 hours, dpa reported.
- Trump Does U-Turn, Praises India for Supplying 'Game Changing' Drug to Fight COVID-19 Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- On Monday, US President Donald Trump had warned India of "retaliation" if Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not lift a ban imposed on the export of anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine to fight COVID-19.
- Iranian envoy blasts West media for hyping Iranian health official's remarks on China's virus figures Global Times 08 Apr 2020 -- The Iranian Ambassador to China stressed the long-standing bilateral relationship and trust between Iran and China and blasted Western media outlets for smearing the relations by hyping Iranian health official's remarks on China's coronavirus figures.
- Official: Iran to increase COVID19 diagnostic tests IRNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Wednesday that about 15,000 COVID19 diagnostic tests are carried out to examine people daily and the figure will increase to 20,000 cases.
- FM Zarif: Iran ready to share experiences in coronavirus remedy IRNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in separate telephone conversations with his Armenian and Azerbaijani counterparts, stressed Tehran's readiness to share experiences in the remedy of coronavirus outbreak.
- COVID-19 kills 121 more in Iran: Official IRNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Wednesday that 29,812 people out of a total of 67,286 infected by the coronavirus (COVID-19) have survived whereas 4,003 have succumbed to death.
- Iran Civil Defense Org gives report on anti-coronavirus efforts IRNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Head of Civil Defense Organization Brigadier-General Gholamreza Jalali presented a report Wednesday on the measures to counter the coronavirus pandemic which has killed near 3,800 Iranians.
- Rouhani: Iran to become self-sufficient in producing COVID19 kits IRNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani referred to scientific and medical achievements in fighting coronavirus, saying Iran will soon become self-sufficient in producing COVID19 test kits.
- Iran: US sanctions aggravate coronavirus pandemic, detrimental to entire world Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- Iran's United Nations envoy has renewed the call for the lifting of unilateral American sanctions against other countries amid a global fight to curtail the spread of the coronavirus outbreak, saying the restrictions only cause the pandemic to accelerate.
- Iran warns IMF, says US cannot veto its request for loan Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani has warned the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to consider Iran's request for $5 billion without "discrimination" after reports said the US was seeking to block the loan.
- Iran's Rouhani Calls on IMF to Provide Nation With $5Bln to Fight COVID-19 Pandemic Sputnik 08 Apr 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Wednesday called on the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to provide Tehran with $5 billion worth of support to combat the coronavirus pandemic.
- Several members of Saudi royal family infected with coronavirus: Report Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- Several members of Saudi Arabia's royal family have contracted the novel coronavirus more than six weeks after the country reported its first case, a New York Times report says.
- COVID-19 Follow-up Committee Holds Meeting SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 48th meeting today.
- Taiwan adds 3 new cases of COVID-19, total at 379 CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Three new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus were confirmed in Taiwan on Wednesday, bringing the total in the country to 379 since the pandemic began late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Tsai, Abe pledge to jointly battle COVID-19 CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) and Japanese Prime Minister Abe Shinzo exchanged messages of encouragement on Twitter on Tuesday and Wednesday, amid the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, and pledged to work closely together to defeat the pandemic.
- CECC introduces stricter home quarantine, isolation measures CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Anyone who breaks home quarantine and isolation rules by gathering at the home of someone who be could potentially infected with the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) will henceforth be fined, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Wednesday.
- Taiwan's government requisitions domestic N95 mask capacity CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Taiwan's government has decided to requisition 3 million N95 masks per month - the country's total monthly output - to ensure a stable supply for medical workers amid the global COVID-19 pandemic, a Ministry of Economic Affairs (MOEA) official said Wednesday.
- Taiwanese can send face masks to overseas relatives starting Thursday CNA 08 Apr 2020 -- Taiwanese nationals will be able to send up to 30 face masks every two months to their spouse or close overseas relatives starting Thursday.
- WHO Says North Korea Still Reporting no Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- North Korea remains one of five countries that has yet to report a single confirmed COVID-19 case to the World Health Organization (WHO), the WHO said Tuesday, but experts told RFA's Korean Service that North Korea's preventative efforts are focused mainly on the capital Pyongyang, so it is likely that the deadly virus is spreading in the provinces.
- Coronavirus response: KFOR delivers personal protective equipment to North and South Mitrovica NATO 08 Apr 2020 -- KFOR delivered today personal protective equipment against COVID19 to the Municipalities of North and South Mitrovica
- Coronavirus response: Third C-17 cargo plane lands in Romania with 100,000 protective suits NATO 08 Apr 2020 -- A military plane filled with 45 tons of medical supplies landed at Bucharest airport on Wednesday morning (8 April 2020). The C-17 Globemaster transport plane, which arrived from Seoul, carried 100,000 protective medical suits as part of efforts to combat the effects of the coronavirus pandemic. The Romanian government had purchased the equipment.
- NATO strengthens support for United Nations peacekeepers NATO 08 Apr 2020 -- At their meeting on April 2, NATO Foreign Ministers agreed to enhance practical cooperation with the United Nations (UN) through a package of capacity building support to UN peacekeeping.
- Malaysia Reports 156 New Coronavirus Cases, Two Deaths SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Malaysia reported today 156 new Coronavirus cases, bringing the total cases in the country to 4119.
- Malaysia reports 156 new coronavirus cases with 2 new deaths SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Malaysian health authorities on Wednesday reported 156 new cases of coronavirus infection, pushing the cumulative total to 4,119 cases as Southeast Asia's third-largest economy continues to grapple with the highest rate of infection in the region, according to Reuters.
- Coronavirus Cash Crunch: Countries Scramble To Help People, Businesses, Economies RFE/RL 08 Apr 2020 -- With the spread of the coronavirus forcing billions of people around the world to stay at home and so many shops, services, firms, and companies closed or with reduced output, almost everyone is feeling the financial pinch.
- Some 20 million jobs in Africa at risk from coronavirus impact, study shows SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- About 20 million jobs are at risk in Africa as the continent's economies are projected to shrink this year due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, according to an African Union (AU) study.
- EU Earmarks Billions for Africa, Other Nations, to Fight Coronavirus VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- The European Union announced Wednesday it will earmark about $16 billion for Africa and other low-income regions to fight coronavirus.
- US gives 1 million masks to Israel as American troops have to make their own amid COVID-19 outbreak Press TV 08 Apr 2020 -- The US Department of Defense has reportedly supplied 1 million surgical masks to the Israeli regime in order to be distributed among soldiers, despite the fact that the Pentagon has lately introduced a measure requiring personnel to make their own masks to combat the spread of the new coronavirus.
- US Trying 'Urgently' to Stave Off Coronavirus Outbreak in NE Syria VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- Pleas by the predominantly Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria for more help to contain a possible coronavirus outbreak and a resurgent Islamic State are being heard, even if some of the requested aid has been slow in arriving.
- COVID-19: Putin Tells Officials To 'Get Ready' For Fight; Iran Urges IMF To Move On Emergency Loan RFE/RL 08 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus is more than 82,000 with over 1.4 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Doctor At Quarantined Bashkortostan Hospital Says 'Pneumonia' Cases Had Risen For Weeks RFE/RL 08 Apr 2020 -- A doctor among some 500 medical personnel and 600 patients placed under a strict coronavirus quarantine in the largest hospital in Ufa, the capital of Russia's Bashkortostan region, says that the medical facility was seeing a rise of cases attributed to "pneumonia" for two weeks.
- Procurement Nightmare: The Wasted Weeks Of Ukraine's Coronavirus Response RFE/RL 08 Apr 2020 -- When the coronavirus began bearing down on Ukraine in early March, Arsen Zhumadilov was in a key position to take action -- and he thought he was ready.
- KSrelief Signs Six Contracts to Provide Medical Equipment and Supplies to Combat COVID-19 in Yemen and Palestine SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSrelief) signed today six contracts with a number of specialized companies to provide medical equipment and supplies in order to combat the spread of Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Yemen and Palestine.
- Palestine records 2 new cases of coronavirus SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- The State of Palestine has recorded two new cases of novel coronavirus COVID19, raising the total to 263 infections, of which 44 cases were recovered.
- Kuwait announces 112 new coronavirus cases SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Kuwait reported on Wednesday 112 new coronavirus, COVID-19, cases in the last 24 hour, bringing the tally to 855.
- Morocco records 58 new COVID-19 cases, total 1242 SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- The Moroccan Ministry of Health has announced 58 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 1242.
- Most on board Antarctica cruise ship test positive for Covid-19 SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- Almost 60 per cent of the 217 people on board an Antarctica cruise ship moored off Uruguay have tested positive for the new coronavirus, as authorities work to arrange the return home of crew and passengers, dpa reported.
- UAE announces recovery of 19 patients, 283 new cases of COVID-19, one death SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Health and Prevention, MoHAP, today announced 283 new cases of novel coronavirus, COVID-19, in the United Arab Emirates, bringing the total number of cases to 2,359.
- Oman announces 48 new COVID-19 cases SPA 08 Apr 2020 -- The Omani Ministry of Health has announced the detection of 48 new coronavirus, COVID-19 cases and the recovery of 72 patients.
- Over 10,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Africa; Zimbabwe and South Sudan among most vulnerable UN News 08 Apr 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) warned on Wednesday that the number of COVID-19 cases in Africa has now risen to more than 10,000, claiming more than 500 lives.
- Parts of Myanmar Reverse Plans For Long Coronavirus Lockdowns After Complaints Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2020 -- Officials in a Myanmar state and region on Tuesday reversed earlier decisions to impose controversial two-week lockdowns to prevent the spread of the contagious coronavirus and are now allowing residents to leave their homes for essential services.
- Coronavirus Turns Vietnam from Recipient to Donor VOA 08 Apr 2020 -- China is not the only nation coming to the aid of others in the fight against COVID-19.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|