06 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Ousted US intelligence inspector Atkinson calls on others to defend whistleblowers Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Michael Atkinson, the outgoing intelligence community inspector general fired by President Donald Trump on Friday, has called on others to speak out and defend whistleblowers.
- Fired Inspector General 'Saddened' by Trump Move VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The intelligence community inspector general who alerted Congress to a whistleblower complaint about President Donald Trump's contacts with Ukraine says he is "disappointed and saddened" that Trump removed him from office.
- 31st MEU cyber operations section attaches, deploys for first time, increasing active defense in cyberspace USMC News 06 Apr 2020 -- In the same way that the ships of the USS America Expeditionary Strike Group patrol the seas to provide safety and maritime security against any threat, so too do the Marines of Defensive Cyberspace Operations-Internal Defensive Measures in the cyber realm, according to 2nd Lt. Adam Kosianowski, 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit DCO-IDM officer in charge.
- US Designates Russian White Supremacist Group as Terror Organization VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The United States has designated the white supremacist group Russian Imperial Movement (RIM,) as a global terrorist organization, an unprecedented move that reflects increasing concerns about violent white supremacists with transnational connections.
- U.S. Designates Russia-Based White Supremacist Group, Leaders As Terrorists RFE/RL 06 Apr 2020 -- The United States has designated the ultranationalist Russian Imperial Movement (RIM) along with three of its leaders as terrorists, marking the first time the classification has been applied to a white supremacist group.
- Briefing With Coordinator for Counterterrorism Ambassador Nathan A. Sales On the United States Designation of the Russian Imperial Movement And its Leaders as Global Terrorists US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2020
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 77 WHO 06 Apr 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 6 April 2020 WHO 06 Apr 2020
- Global coronavirus death toll tops 60,000, cases pass 1.1 mln: WHO People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- A total of 62,784 people died of COVID-19 globally as of 10:00 CET Sunday, as the number of infections surged to 1,133,758, showed the situation dashboard by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Joint Statement from Co-Chairs of the ASEAN- U.S. High Level Interagency Video Conference to Counter COVID-19 US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2020 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States and Vietnam as Co-Chairs of the ASEAN – U.S. High-level Interagency Video Conference to Counter COVID-19 held on April 1, 2020.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 06 Apr 2020
- Readout from the Vice President's Video Teleconference with Governors on the Partnership to Prepare and Respond to COVID-19 The White House 06 Apr 2020
- Wisconsin Guard testing elderly at Sheboygan living facility Army News 06 Apr 2020 -- The Wisconsin National Guard dispatched a team April 5 to a senior living facility in Sheboygan to establish a mobile testing site and collect COVID-19 specimens.
- Texas Guard mobilizes to respond to COVID-19 Army News 06 Apr 2020 -- The Texas National Guard is mobilized throughout the state to help expand health care capacity during the COVID-19 threat.
- 'It's Just Wrong': Trump Rejects IG Report on COVID-19 Testing Backlogs, Hints Political Angle Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump rejected the findings of an inspector general's report on Monday, suggesting the report was politically biased, and he called the reporters who asked him about it "fake news."
- Every US Hospital Could Soon be Treating COVID, US Study Says VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Every hospital in the United States may soon be treating coronavirus cases, the government's Health and Human Services agency says in a new report.
- Acting US Navy Secretary: Fired Carrier Captain Was 'Stupid', Committed 'Betrayal' of Sailors Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The acting Navy Department chief blasted the recently fired captain of the USS Theodore Roosevelt to the ship's crew on Sunday, saying Captain Brett Crozier had been either "too naive or too stupid" to be in command. Crozier was fired last week for penning a letter begging for help fighting a COVID-19 outbreak on the warship.
- Number of Novel Coronavirus Cases in US Military Soars by Nearly 50% in 3 Days - Pentagon Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The US military has so far recorded 2,528 cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), a rise of around 800 since Friday, the Department of Defence announced on Monday.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 06 Apr 2020
- Captain removed from coronavirus-stricken aircraft carrier reportedly tests positive for COVID-19 People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Captain Brett Crozier, who has commanded aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt until his recent removal by the Navy for sounding the alarm about a coronavirus outbreak on board, has tested positive for the virus, The New York Times reported on Sunday.
- Air Force Reserve mobilizes medics to New York for COVID-19 response US Air Force 06 Apr 2020 -- Within 48 hours of notification, the Air Force Reserve mobilized more than 120 medical personnel across the nation to Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst, New Jersey, to help with the fight against COVID-19 in New York City.
- Efficacy of Anti-Coronavirus Drug Tops US Treatment Debate VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The debate over the usefulness of an antimalarial drug to treat U.S. coronavirus victims is pitting President Donald Trump against the country's top U.S. infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony Fauci.
- Fight erupts at White House over drug Trump suggests for COVID-19 Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- A fierce fight broke out at the White House over the weekend about the use of Hydroxychloroquine President Donald Trump has touted as a treatment for COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Death Toll in US Rises Above 10,000 - Johns Hopkins University Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 death toll in the United States has risen above 10,000, according to the latest data published by Johns Hopkins University at 1:25pm EST (17:25 GMT).
- Briefing With Dr. William Walters, Deputy Chief Medical Officer for Operations, Bureau of Medical Services; Acting Assistant Secretary Alice Wells, Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs; and Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary Ian Brownlee, Bureau of Consular Affairs On COVID-19: Updates on Health Impact and Assistance for American Citizens Abroad US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2020
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces NYS on Pause Functions Extended for Additional Two Weeks New York State 06 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 06 Apr 2020
- Weekly Update: DHS Response to COVID-19 DHS 06 Apr 2020
- New York Governor Sees Possible Flattening of Coronavirus Curve VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- New York's governor said Monday that it is possible his state is seeing a flattening of the curve of coronavirus cases, but it is still too early to be certain.
- New York State Death Toll Reaches 4,758, Number of Cases Exceeds 130,600 - Government Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Last week, US President Donald Trump ordered to deploy 1,000 military personnel, consisting mostly of doctors, nurses, and healthcare specialists to New York City amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Some 1.6 mln people in U.S. tested for COVID-19, given results: Trump People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump claimed Sunday that some 1.6 million people in the United States have been tested for COVID-19 and received results.
- China Mourns Dead as Wuhan Families Deal With Mass Cremations Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- As families across China remembered the dead on a traditional mourning day, the authorities issued a warning to a prominent lawyer who drew attention to the large numbers of family members lining up to collect their loved ones ashes in the central province of Hubei.
- China Claims Zero Infections in Its Military VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- While militaries around the world are seeing their soldiers fall victim to the coronavirus, China's People's Liberation Army (PLA), the world's largest standing army, claims it remains virus-free.
- Imported cases surge at border Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The risk of imported cases to China from neighboring countries is increasing, an official noted Monday, after a Chinese port city near Russia reported 20 imported cases from the other side in one day.
- Central govt completely transparent in COVID-19 battle: Zhong Nanshan Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese central government has been completely transparent in dealing with the COVID-19 epidemic, top Chinese respiratory disease expert Zhong Nanshan said in an interview published on Sunday.
- Timeline of China releasing information on COVID-19 and advancing international cooperation Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- The novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic is a major public health emergency that has spread the fastest, caused the most extensive infections and been the hardest to contain since the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949.
- China faces increasing risk of imported COVID-19 cases from neighboring countries: official Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- China has put in place a complete set of procedures to manage international arrivals amid an increasing risk of imported COVID-19 cases from neighboring countries, officials said at a press conference on Monday.
- 114 COVID-19 patients discharged from hospitals on Chinese mainland Global Times 06 Apr 2020 -- A total of 114 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospitals Sunday on the Chinese mainland, according to the National Health Commission.
- Chinese doctors train Sierra Leonean medical workers to support COVID-19 fight People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese medical team in Sierra Leone has trained around 100 local medical workers in a bid to support the country's COVID-19 fight, the team said here on Sunday.
- China's medical expert team arrives in Philippines to help fight COVID-19 People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The medical expert team sent by the Chinese government arrived in Manila on Sunday to assist and advise the Philippines in its ongoing efforts to curb the spread of COVID-19.
- Chinese mainland reports 38 new imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 38 new imported cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Sunday, bringing the total number of imported cases to 951, the National Health Commission said Monday.
- Chinese mainland reports 39 new confirmed COVID-19 cases People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Monday it received reports of 39 new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the Chinese mainland Sunday, of which 38 were imported.
- Beijing probably under long-term epidemic control: official People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Epidemic prevention and control in Beijing will probably become a long-term normal, a spokesperson for the municipal government said Sunday.
- HKSAR gov't preparing more comprehensive support for COVID-19-hit businesses: official People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government financial secretary said Sunday that the government is preparing for relief measures that can benefit more businesses as the COVID-19 epidemic has started to weigh down on a much wider range of industries.
- British PM Moved to Intensive Care After Being Admitted to Hospital for Coronavirus VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved to intensive care after his conditioned worsened Monday. Johnson was diagnosed with the coronavirus 10 days ago.
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson Admitted to ICU Over Worsening COVID-19 Symptoms Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson, recently hospitalized due to symptoms of COVID-19, has been moved to an intensive care unit (ICU).
- British PM admitted to hospital for cornavirus tests People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- British Prime Minister Boris Johnson was admitted to hospital for tests on Sunday night, 10 days after testing positive for coronavirus, Downing Street said.
- Foreign Secretary's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 6 April 2020 UK FCO 06 Apr 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab gave the 6 April 2020 daily press briefing on the government's response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Nearly 48,000 COVID-19 cases confirmed in UK People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- A total of 47,806 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Britain as of Sunday morning, a significant increase of 5,903 in the past 24 hours, according to the Department of Health and Social Care.
- Scotland's First Minister Gives Coronavirus Update VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- In her daily coronavirus briefing Monday, Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon took the opportunity to wish British Prime Minister Boris Johnson – hospitalized for symptoms related to COVID-19 – a speedy recovery.
- Flight carrying medical donation arrives in Portugal from China People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- A charter flight carrying the medical supplies donated by Portuguese electric utilities company EDP and its main shareholder China Three Gorges (CTG) arrived in Lisbon on Sunday.
- Germany reports over 90,000 COVID-19 cases, call for more aid package People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Germany climbed to 91,714 as of 0:00 local time on Sunday, with a death toll of 1,342, according to data from Robert Koch Institute (RKI), the country's disease control authority.
- COVID-19 death toll tops 8,000 in France People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- France has registered a total of 8,078 deaths caused by the COVID-19 since the outbreak of the epidemic, the Health Ministry announced on Sunday.
- Swedish Region's COVID-19 Strategy: Infect 'Almost Everyone' to Reach 'Herd Immunity' Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Norrbotten County infection control physician Anders Nystedt has suggested there is a high number of unreported cases. According to him, up to 10,000 people are infected in his county alone, and Sweden is farther ahead on the epidemic curve than previously thought.
- Spread of Coronavirus Continues to Slow in Spain VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Spain's health ministry said Monday the spread of the coronavirus in that country has continued to slow, indicating the emergency measures put in place by the government are working.
- Italy Death Toll From COVID-19 Pandemic Rises by 636 to 16,523 Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Italy is the country hit third hardest by the COVID-19 pandemic, with Lombardy being one of the main hotbeds of the disease in the nation.
- Netherlands Reports 952 New Cases of Coronavirus and 101 deaths SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- Netherlands recorded here today 952 new confirmed cases of new Coronavirus, bringing to 18803 the total of infected cases in the country.
- Kosovar Media Urged Not To 'Intensify' Tensions During Coronavirus Crisis RFE/RL 06 Apr 2020 -- The European Federation of Journalists (EFJ) is calling on media in Kosovo to refrain from "intensifying tensions" during the health crisis caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Russian Military Doctors Begin Receiving, Treating COVID-19 Patients in Italy's Bergamo Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Russian military doctors have begun providing 24-hour care at a field hospital in the Italian city of Bergamo for patients that have tested positive for COVID-19, the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement on Monday.
- India Dismisses US Claim of 'Game Changer' Drug to be Effective for COVID-19 Treatment Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Apart from US President Donald Trump’s request to India, 30 other countries have asked for the supply of hydroxychloroquine, a malarial drug, to treat COVID-19. Despite a ban on the drug, there were reports that India is considering to supply the drug as it has sufficient stocks of the medication.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 06 Apr 2020 -- Government of India is taking several steps along with the States/UTs for the prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country. These are being regularly reviewed and monitored at the highest level.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 06 Apr 2020 -- Supply lines from abroad opened up today with the receipt of 1.70 lakh Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) coveralls from China which have been donated to the Government of India. Along with domestic supplies of 20,000 coveralls, a total of 1.90 lakh coveralls will now be distributed to hospitals and will add to the 3,87,473 PPEs already available in the country as of now. A total of 2.94 lakh PPE coveralls have been arranged and supplied by Government of India now.
- Check urgently the virus of misinformation on COVID-19: Vice President India PIB 06 Apr 2020 -- Cautioning that superstitions and hearsay cannot be allowed to weaken our battle against COVID-19, the Vice President of India, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu has described the spread of misinformation, especially on social media, as a “virus” that needs to be checked.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 3278 in Pakistan SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The total number of the Coronavirus cases in Pakistan rose to 3278 after reporting 397 new cases during the past 24 hours.
- Bashing Beijing: Iranian Official's Criticism Of China's Coronavirus Figures Causes Uproar RFE/RL 06 Apr 2020 -- Rare criticism by an Iranian Health Ministry official of China's controversial COVID-19 figures has angered hard-liners in Tehran, some of whom asked if he was speaking on behalf of the country's archrival, the United States.
- Official: Coronavirus kills 136 more in Iran IRNA 06 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Monday that 24,236 people out of a total of 60,500 infected by the coronavirus have survived while 3,739 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- Iran to pay loans to 4m households to repair COVID-19 outbreak damages IRNA 06 Apr 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Monday that the government has plans to pay loans to 4 million low-income Iranian households as the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues.
- Iran acknowledges assistance of 30 countries, int'l bodies over coronavirus campaign IRNA 06 Apr 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Monday in his press conference after Nowruz that more than 30 countries and international organizations helped Iran over coronavirus campaign.
- Iranian model for fighting pandemic based on domestic initiatives: Security chief Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- The secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) says the model used by the country to fight the ongoing coronavirus pandemic should be based on exclusive and domestic initiatives, noting that Iranians have learned how to weather critical conditions.
- More than 30 countries helped Iran fight coronavirus: Foreign Ministry Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry says more than 30 countries as well as a number of international organizations have provided it with assistance in its battle against the new coronavirus outbreak.
- Iran's Sanctions Relief Scam US Dept. of State 06 Apr 2020
- US bullying shows more during coronavirus outbreak: Gov't spokesman IRNA 06 Apr 2020 -- The spokesman of the Government of Iran said on Monday in his second video press conference that the bullying behavior of the United Stated was more clearly manifested during the time of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Iran draws €1bn from sovereign wealth fund to fight virus Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has approved a government request for tapping into the sovereign wealth fund to finance the current nationwide fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Japan's Abe Proposes State of Emergency, Stimulus Package Worth $1 Trillion Due to COVID-19 Outbreak Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Earlier in the day, Japan's Kyodo news agency reported that Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is planning to declare a state of emergency in the country later this week in order to contain the rapid spread of COVID-19.
- Japanese Prime Minister Declares One-Month State of Emergency for Tokyo, 6 Other Prefectures VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe says he will declare a 30-day state of emergency in parts of the country in response to the rising confirmed cases of coronavirus.
- Saudi Arabia imposes 24-Hour Curfew on Riyadh, Tabuk, Dammam, Dhahran, Hafouf, Jeddah, Taif, Qatif and Khobar, Interior Ministry announces SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- An official source at the Ministry of Interior has stated that, as part of the Kingdom's efforts to confront coronavirus pandemic, and in implementation of the recommendations of competent health authorities to raise the degree of precautionary and preventive measures to preserve the health and safety of citizens and residents, the following measures have been decided:
- COVID-19 Follow-up Committee Affirms Importance of Staying Home SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The committee concerned with following up the health situation of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) held here today its 74th meeting under chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah in the presence of the committee's members representing a number of relevant governmental entities.
- Ministry of Health reports 61 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Health has reported 61 new cases of the novel Coronavirus COVID-19 according to the update on its official website to monitor novel Coronavirus cases, and the number of active cases reached 1941 cases.
- Ministry of Health reports 17 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Health has reported 17 new cases of the novel Coronavirus COVID-19 according to the update on its official website to monitor Corona cases, and the number of active cases reached 1880 cases.
- Ministry of Health reports 82 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- In its latest briefing posted at 9:54 pm this evening on its official website, the Ministry of Health reported 82 new cases of the novel Coronavirus COVID-19, bringing to 2016 the number of active cases in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Taiwan confirms 10 new cases of COVID-19, total at 373 (update) CNA 06 Apr 2020 -- Ten new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease were confirmed in Taiwan on Monday, bringing the total in the country to 373 since the pandemic began late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan to enforce masks for vendors, service, hospitality staff: CECC CNA 06 Apr 2020 -- All vendors and service providers who deal with customers will be required to wear surgical masks, with enforced regulations to be revealed at a later date, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Monday.
- Kenya's President Halts All Passenger Transport in Four Counties to Stop Coronavirus VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta on Monday ordered a halt to all transport in major cities, including the capital Nairobi, to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
- Kenya Confirms First Death of Minor from COVID-19 VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Kenya's Health Ministry says a six-year-old child has died of coronavirus complications, becoming the youngest victim of the virus to die in Kenya. As of Friday, more than 120 people in Kenya have been confirmed to have COVID-19.
- UAE announces recovery of 19 patients, 294 new cases of COVID-19 SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- he Ministry of Health and Prevention, MoHaP, has nounced 294 new cases of the novel coronavirus in the United Arab Emirates raising the number of cases to 1,799.
- UAE Reports 277 New Coronavirus Cases, 23 Recoveries SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- UAE reported today 277 new cases of the novel Coronavirus, bringing to 2,076 the total number of those who have contracted COVID-19.
- COVID-19: Romania To Extend State Of Emergency; Russian Cases Jump RFE/RL 06 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll is nearing 70,000 with almost 1.3 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- UN, Partners Take COVID-19 Prevention to Vulnerable People's Camps VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations in Nigeria is extending COVID-19 prevention and preparation measures to the camps in the northeast that house hundreds of thousands of people displaced by Boko Haram violence.
- Coronavirus pandemic continues to sweep across globe: Death toll near 70,000 Press TV 06 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll from the coronavirus pandemic has now reached 69,498, and 1,275,542 people are diagnosed with the viral infection around the globe, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.
- Coronavirus Concerns Grow in US, Britain as Some European Countries Show Signs of Progress VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- As global deaths from the coronavirus topped 70,000, Germany's leader said the European Union was facing its "biggest test," while U.S. officials warned that the country would experience its hardest week yet.
- Hundreds of Myanmar Migrant Workers Stuck Near Border Outpost After Return From China Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- Up to 400 migrant workers returning to Myanmar from China amid the spread of the coronavirus are stranded near the border in Shan state, where authorities have blocked access to roads and are forcing them to remain during a mandatory 14-day quarantine period, two of the laborers said Sunday.
- Cambodia Must Reduce Overcrowding at Jails Ripe For Coronavirus Outbreak: HRW Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2020 -- Cambodia's government should take "urgent measures" to reduce the risk that the country's "severely overcrowded" jails will suffer coronavirus outbreaks, a human rights group said over the weekend, calling on authorities to release prisoners at greater risk, as well as those detained for minor offenses.
- Calls Grow for Release of Political Prisoners in Syria Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- The rapid spread of the coronavirus has raised concerns among United Nations officials and rights groups about the fate of political prisoners in war-ravaged Syria.
- Netanyahu Declares Quarantine Across Israel on 7-10 April for Passover Holiday Eve Sputnik 06 Apr 2020 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday declared a general three-day lockdown starting at 4 p.m. (13:00 GMT) on 7 April to prevent people from traveling to festive meals that are traditionally held on the eve of the Jewish holiday of Passover, which starts this Wednesday.
- Turkish Lockdown Calls Grow as Epidemic Continues VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- With Istanbul the epicenter of Turkey's COVID-19 epidemic, the city is becoming the political battleground over how to defeat the virus.
- Algeria receives 1st order of COVID-19 medical equipment from China People's Daily 06 Apr 2020 -- Algeria on Sunday received the first order of medical equipment from China to combat COVID-19, Prime Minister Office said in a statement.
- Philippines Reports eleven Deaths and 414 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Philippines reported today eleven new deaths and 414 new cases of the novel Coronavirus.
- Indonesia Reports 218 New Coronavirus Cases SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- Indonesia reported today 218 new cases of the novel Coronavirus, bringing to 2,491 the total number of those who have contracted the disease.
- Palestinian Government Reports six New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Palestinian Government announced six new cases of Coronavirus, bringing to 15 the number of cases for today and to 252 the total number of cases in the country.
- Niger Reports 40 New Cases of Coronavirus SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Health of Niger announced 40 new cases of Coronavirus, bringing to 184 the total number of cases in the country and to ten the number of deaths.
- Morocco records 92 new COVID-19 cases, total 1113 SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Moroccan Ministry of Health has announced 92 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus, COVID-19, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 1113.
- Oman: 33 new cases of COVID-19 SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The Ministry of Health (MOH) announced today the registration of (33) new positive cases with Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the Sultanate of Oman. This brings the total number of positive COVID-19 cases to (331), in addition to two death cases.
- Coronavirus Cases Rise to 1031 in Iraq SPA 06 Apr 2020 -- The total number of the confirmed Coronavirus cases in Iraq rose to 1031 after reporting 70 new cases during the past 24 hours.
- Botswana President Wants to Extend COVID-19 State of Emergency to Six Months VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Botswana's president has proposed extending a state of emergency in the southern African country to last six months. President Mokgweetsi Masisi says the measure is needed because people are not complying with restrictions on movement to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. Critics worry the plan, if initiated, would put too much power in the hands of the president.
- Rights Groups Concerned for Syrian Refugees in Lebanon amid Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Advocacy groups say Lebanon has put into place restrictions that discriminate against Syrian refugees as it battles the coronavirus. Human rights groups say the restrictions do not apply to Lebanese citizens and could both undermine the country's public health response and endanger the refugees' health.
- African Union Predicts Continental Recession Due to COVID-19 VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- With the African Union now predicting the continent's economy will contract by 0.8 percent this year, African finance ministers are scheduled to meet via video conference on Thursday to discuss ways countries can mitigate a looming economic disaster.
- Officials Hopeful Australia Is Flattening COVID-19 Curve VOA 06 Apr 2020 -- Health officials say there is more evidence that Australia's efforts to contain the COVID-19 outbreak are working. While they are hopeful Australia can avoid the kind of devastation the coronavirus has caused in countries like Italy and the United States, they caution there is no room for complacency. There are more than 5,600 confirmed coronavirus cases in Australia. Thirty-four mostly elderly people have died.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|