05 April 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- Trump defends firing of 'terrible' top intelligence watchdog Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has defended his decision to fire the top watchdog of the intelligence community, calling Michael Atkinson a "total disgrace" for the way he handled a whistleblower complaint that led to the president's impeachment.
- Trump Suggests Intelligence Watchdog Was Fired For Sharing Whistle-Blower Complaint RFE/RL 05 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump told reporters on April 4 that the inspector-general of the intelligence community he fired the previous day had taken "a fake report and took it to Congress with an emergency," lending weight to accusations that the dismissal was retaliation connected to Trump's congressional impeachment over pressure he put on Ukraine.
- Trump Calls Fired Intelligence Watchdog 'A Disgrace' VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump says the intelligence community watchdog that he fired late Friday was "a disgrace."
- Trump decapitating US intelligence leadership in national crisis, says top Democrat Press TV 04 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump is "decapitating" the US intelligence forces amid the coronavirus outbreak that is causing a "national crisis," says a top Democrat.
- Trump Says Fired Intelligence Community IG 'Did a Terrible Job', Calls Him 'Disgrace to IGs' Sputnik 04 Apr 2020 -- Fired IG Michael Atkinson was the one who alerted the US Congress of a whistleblower complaint that ultimately set off the impeachment proceedings against President Trump that lasted from September 2019 to February 2020.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 76 WHO 05 Apr 2020
- Latest on coronavirus pandemic: Over 1.2 million people now infected Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- Nearly 1,203,000 people are infected with the new coronavirus and more than 64,770 others have died of the disease caused by it around the world, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Briefing The White House 05 Apr 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Delaware Disaster Declaration The White House 05 Apr 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves South Dakota Disaster Declaration The White House 05 Apr 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves New Mexico Disaster Declaration The White House 05 Apr 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Oklahoma Disaster Declaration The White House 05 Apr 2020
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Mississippi Disaster Declaration The White House 05 Apr 2020
- Number of US sailors infected with Covid-19 on aircraft carrier rises to 155: Navy Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of American sailors tested positive so far for the coronavirus on the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier has surged 13 percent to 155 within the past 24 hours, the US Navy has confirmed amid the sacking of the warship's captain for publicizing the debacle.
- 7th Fleet Commander Arrives in Guam during COVID-19 Recovery NNS 05 Apr 2020 -- APRA HARBOR, Guam (NNS) – The Commander of U.S. 7th Fleet visited USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) leadership in port at Naval Base Guam while the aircraft carrier undergoes its COVID-19 recovery efforts April 5.
- Rush Transcript: Amid Ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, Governor Cuomo Announces Federal Government is Deploying Approximately 1,000 Personnel to New York State New York State 05 Apr 2020
- State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 05 Apr 2020
- COVID-19 cases in U.S. top 300,000: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States topped 300,000 by 3:40 p.m. local time Saturday (1940 GMT), according to the Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- Trump warns of 'a lot of death' from coronavirus, blaming media-induced public 'panic' Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has warned there will be "a lot of death" in the weeks ahead over the coronavirus outbreak while blasting local media outlets for "spreading false rumors" and creating "fear" and "panic" among people.
- US coronavirus cases tops 300,000, death toll surpasses 8,100 SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed new coronavirus cases in
- Number of COVID-19 Deaths in United States Surpasses 8,500 - Johns Hopkins University Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- Data on the number of coronavirus cases and the death toll is being updated on a regular basis. Despite the growing number of deaths from the coronavirus in the US, the total ratio of fatal cases stands at 2.7 percent – one of the lowest in the world.
- US Reports One Fourth of Global COVID Cases VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- Roughly 25 percent of the world's 1.2 million COVID-19 cases have been reported in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins figures Sunday morning.
- Top US Health Officials: Shocking US Coronavirus Death Toll Just Ahead VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- Top U.S. health officials warned Americans on Sunday that the United States will face a shocking coronavirus death toll in the coming week as the pandemic continues to ravage the country.
- Biden Assails Trump's Coronavirus Response VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, the likely Democratic presidential nominee in the November national election, accused Republican President Donald Trump on Sunday of being slow to react to the coronavirus threat and still lacking the drive now to deal with the pandemic.
- Reports of Chinese medical products 'substandard' not objective: official Global Times 05 Apr 2020 -- Responding to so-called "quality concerns" of Chinese medical products being exported, an official at China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) said Sunday that some media reports are not objective enough, and do not reflect the whole picture but only blame the products for being "substandard."
- China reports 5 new local cases all infected by imported cases Global Times 05 Apr 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported five new local cases of COVID-19 infections on Saturday all from South China's Guangdong Province with two minors infected by local imported cases.
- China rolls out stricter controls on clinical research for COVID-19 medicine Global Times 05 Apr 2020 -- The State Council, China's cabinet has issued a notice on Saturday to further standardize the clinical research of medicine amid the outbreak of novel coronavirus.
- More districts in Wuhan classified as low-risk area of COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 05 Apr 2020 -- One more district in Wuhan, the hardest-hit city by novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, has been classified as a low-risk area of the virus outbreak, according to the provincial COVID-19 epidemic prevention and control headquarters Saturday.
- China's Hubei reports no new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 05 Apr 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were reported Saturday in central China's Hubei Province, the Health Commission of Hubei said Sunday.
- Mainland China reports 30 new coronavirus cases vs 19 a day earlier SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- Mainland China reported 30 new coronavirus cases today, up from 19 a day earlier as the number of cases involving travellers from abroad as well as local transmissions increased.
- Queen Elizabeth Addresses 'Challenge' of COVID Pandemic VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- Queen Elizabeth II urged Britons to "rise to the challenge" of the coronavirus pandemic in a rare address to the nation Sunday night.
- Spain's coronavirus death toll rises to 12,418 SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- Spain's Health Ministry announced on Sunday that coronavirus death toll has risen by 674 to 12,418 in the last day, Reuters reported.
- Germany reports third straight drop in daily rate of new coronavirus infections SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- Germany's confirmed coronavirus infections rose by 5,936 in the past 24 hours to 91,714 on Sunday, the third straight drop in the daily rate of new cases, according to data from the government's Robert Koch Institute. Sunday's figure amounted to a drop of 146 cases compared with 6,082 new infections recorded on Saturday, itself a fall from 6,174 new infections on Friday, according to Reuters.
- UK COVID-19 Death Toll Surpasses 4,900 as 621 Deaths Reported in 24 Hours – Government Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 death toll in the United Kingdom has surpassed 4,900 after the Department of Health and Social Care on Sunday announced that 621 more people have lost their lives after contracting the disease.
- UK Health Secretary: Follow Coronavirus Lockdown or Exercise Will Be Banned Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The UK's second weekend in lockdown is predicted to be the country's warmest in six months, drawing many Britons to streets and parks to bask in the light and heat - but if their conduct amounts to breaches in isolation guidance, restrictions on outdoor movement could be severely curtailed.
- Number of Coronavirus Cases in Spain Jumps to 130,759, Death Toll Rises to 12,418 Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The Spanish authorities will extend the state of emergency imposed throughout the country as part of measures to curb the coronavirus pandemic until 26 April, the TVE broadcaster reported on 4 April.
- Sweden Considering Tightening Screws on COVID-19 Amid Growing Death Toll – Report Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- Last month, the Swedish government introduced a temporary entry ban in order to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in France Surpasses 70,000, Death Toll Tops 8,000 – Authorities Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The total number of COVID-19 cases in France has surpassed 70,000, the country's health authorities confirmed in a statement on Sunday, adding that the death toll has also risen above 8,000.
- Italy COVID-19 Fatalities Rise to 15,887, Growth Rate Drops Below 600 For 1st Time in Two Weeks Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- Italy has recorded a total of 124,632 confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the start of the outbreak. The northern region of Lombardy is the most affected area of the country.
- Spread of COVID-19 Slowing in Spain as Daily Rise in Cases, Deaths Declines – Minister Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The COVID-19 outbreak in Spain may have started to slow as the daily rises in both fatalities and new cases are starting to decline, the country's Health Minister Salvador Illa said at a press conference on Sunday.
- Russia Cancels Evacuation Of Citizens Stuck Overseas, Promises To Resume RFE/RL 05 Apr 2020 -- Russia has paused the evacuation of tens of thousands of its citizens stuck overseas due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has caused many countries to ban international commercial flights in their battle to contain the spread of the disease.
- Russia to Create System to Identify Citizens Who Return From Abroad to Curb Spread of COVID-19 Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Russia has grown to 5,389 after 658 new cases were registered over the past day, the COVID-19 response centre said in a statement on Sunday.
- Russia Confirms 658 New Coronavirus Cases in 24 Hours Bringing Total to 5,389 Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The country previously went had a paid week off, as Russian President Vladimir Putin urged people to stay at home to curb the coronavirus pandemic, also introducing travel bans and boosting the healthcare system.
- Moscow is at Greater Risk of Coronavirus, Hence Tough Measures Taken to Curb the Spread - Mayor Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- At the moment, Russia has reported at least 4,731 coronavirus cases, with the majority of them (over 3,300) registered in Moscow. In order to curb the infection, President Vladimir Putin earlier announced a paid week off from March 28 to April 5, urging people to stay at home.
- Updates on COVID-19 India PIB 05 Apr 2020 -- Government of India is taking several steps along with the States/UTs for the prevention, containment and management of COVID-19 in the country. These are being regularly reviewed and monitored at the highest level.
- COVID-19: Pakistan Quarantines 20,000 Worshippers; Iranian Officials Complain People Not Staying At Home RFE/RL 05 Apr 2020 -- The global death toll has passed 66,000 with over 1.2 million infections confirmed, causing mass disruptions as governments continue to try to slow the spread of the new respiratory illness.
- Coronavirus Deaths Rise to 45 in Pakistan SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- The total number of Coronavirus deaths in Pakistan rose to 45, while the total number of Coronavirus infected cases rose to 2899.
- Controlling COVID-19 possible through taking collective responsibility: Iran's official IRNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Sunday that every global epidemic could be controlled if it is dealt with taking collective responsibility by various societies and coronavirus is no exception.
- Iranian President unveils new social distancing plan to contain COVID19 pandemic IRNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Sunday unveiled the new smart social distancing plan, saying this activity will start on Saturday, April 18, and the same health protocols as well as monitoring in this regard must be practiced carefully.
- Official: COVID19 kills 151 more in Iran IRNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry's Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Sunday that 22,011 people out of a total of 58,226 infected by the coronavirus have survived while 3,603 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- Pres. Rouhani: No disagreement on fight against COVID-19 IRNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said on Sunday that there is no disagreement either between the governmental organization or the three branches of government in the battle against the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- Iran's envoy outlines China anti-COVID19 donations IRNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Iran's Ambassador to China Mohammad Keshavarzzadeh in a Twitter message outlined the list of China donations to Iran for fighting coronavirus.
- President Rouhani: Low-risk businesses halted over coronavirus to resume Saturday Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani says low-risk economic activities, which have been suspended over the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, will resume from April 11.
- Iran rallies to produce crucial supplies as US retains sanctions despite coronavirus Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- Iran will increase the production of protective masks for coronavirus relief to 4 million per day by the end of this month, Minister of Industry, Mine and Trade Reza Rahmani says.
- 'Low Risk" Business to Resume in Iran VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that "low risk" economic activities would resume on April 11 as the country continues to battle an outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
- COVID-19 Follow-up Committee Holds Meeting SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- Under the chairmanship of Health Minister Dr. Tawfiq bin Fawzan Al-Rabiah, the COVID-19 Follow-up Committee held its 46th meeting today.
- Taiwan confirms 8 new cases of COVID-19, bringing total to 363 CNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Eight new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease were confirmed in Taiwan on Sunday, bringing the total in the country to 363 since the pandemic began late last year, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Further self-health management needed after home quarantine: CECC CNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Everyone who completes mandatory 14-day home quarantine must now undergo an additional seven days of self-health management, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Sunday, amid increasing concern over asymptomatic cases.
- Premier urges social distancing during coronavirus pandemic CNA 05 Apr 2020 -- Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) on Sunday reminded people of the need to wear masks and maintain proper social distancing when outdoors in accordance with the country's measures to combat the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- Infection source in domestic transmission case likely identified: CECC CNA 05 Apr 2020 -- A likely source of infection has been identified for a domestically infected COVID-19 patient who was confirmed on Saturday, the Central Epidemic Command Center said Sunday.
- South Sudan confirms first case of coronavirus SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- South Sudan has confirmed its first case of COVID-19, its vice president Riek Machar said on Sunday, becoming the latest African nation to report a case of the disease caused by the new coronavirus, Reuters reported.
- South Sudan Records First COVID-19 VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- South Sudan confirmed its first COVID-19 case Sunday, a 29-year old woman who entered the country on Feb. 28 from the Netherlands via Addis Ababa.
- Saudi Arabia, UAE expand lockdowns as coronavirus cases rise Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- Saudi Arabia and the UAE have adopted fresh measures to tackle the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic amid an uptick in the number patients in both Persian Gulf countries.
- Africa to lose 20mn jobs due to coronavirus pandemic: African Union Press TV 05 Apr 2020 -- A new study has found that about 20 million jobs are at risk in Africa due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic which continues to spread rapidly around the globe.
- Kuwait reports 77 new coronavirus cases SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- Kuwaiti Health Ministry announced on Sunday the detection of 77 new coronavirus, COVID-19, cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases to 556.
- UAE announces recovery of 17 patients, 241 new cases of Coronavirus SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- The United Arab Emirates Government has announced the detection of 241 new coronavirus cases among various nationalities, taking to 1,505 the number of infections in the country.
- Oman Reports 21 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 05 Apr 2020 -- The Sultanate of Oman has reported 21 new cases of the novel Coronavirus (Covid 19), bringing the total number of infections to 298 cases.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Israel Tops 8,000, Death Toll Reaches 46 – Health Ministry Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of people infected with the coronavirus in Israel has grown to a total of 8,018 and the death toll has increased to 46 people, the Israeli Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- Australia Reports Gradual Fall in New COVID-19 Cases With 181 New Infections in 24 Hours Sputnik 05 Apr 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in Australia has increased by 181 to a total of 5,635 in 24 hours and the death toll has reached 34, the Department of Health said in a statement on Sunday.
- COVID-19 Heralds Mass Cleanup in Ghanaian Capital VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- As residents in Ghana's capital, Accra, are told to stay indoors to help combat the spread of COVID-19, government and city authorities are tackling the waste that sits in open drains or in piles on streets.
- Delivery of Humanitarian Aid in Sudan Designed to Prevent Spread of COVID-19 VOA 05 Apr 2020 -- The United Nations reports the presence of the coronavirus in Sudan is forcing a radical change in the way humanitarian aid and services are being delivered to millions of people in need of assistance. The World Health Organization confirms 10 cases of COVID-19, including two deaths, in Sudan.
- Iraq: UN health agency helps beat 'latest bottleneck' in COVID-19 battle UN News 05 Apr 2020 -- With a global shortage of supplies and equipment to fight the deadly coronavirus pandemic, the UN health agency has assisted in successfully producing urgently needed laboratory items for testing suspected COVID-19 cases in Iraq.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|