12 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Sanctions Against Businesses Linked to Mexican Cartels US Dept. of State 12 Mar 2020 -- The United States is committed to preventing and combating narcotics trafficking globally. The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) yesterday designated four Mexican businesses pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act) due to their links to the Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (CJNG) and the Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organization (Los Cuinis), two of the most powerful drug trafficking organizations in Mexico.
- Right-Sizing, Not Reduction at Guantanamo, Southcom Commander Says DoD News 12 Mar 2020 -- Since the Guantanamo Bay detention camp stood up in 2002, nearly 780 prisoners have been housed there. Today, the facility holds just 40 men, one who has been convicted and 39 others who are detainees, said Navy Adm. Craig S. Faller, commander of U.S. Southern Command. Now, there are plans to adjust operations at the facility to reflect this new reality.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 52 WHO 12 March 2020
- Window to virus curb wasted Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) officially declared the coronavirus a global pandemic, sparking criticism of how countries beyond China delay and waste opportunities to contain the virus spread since the outbreak. Combating the pandemic would seriously strain resources, flow of goods and people, risking a global recession.
- COVID-19 measures adopted by US, EU still loose as pandemic sends shockwaves across the world Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- Travels are suspended. Schools are shut down. Shops and restaurants are closed. Hours after the WHO declared the COVID-19 a pandemic, countries around the world have realized they were not responding decisively enough to the virus and finally began to scramble more aggressive measures, in ways all too familiar to the Chinese people.
- COVID-19 outbreak declared pandemic as it takes rising toll in Europe People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday characterized the COVID-19 outbreak as a "pandemic."
- Death toll from COVID-19 outside China surpasses 1,000: WHO People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The number of people who died of COVID-19 outside China climbed to 1,130 as of Wednesday morning, an increase of 258 deaths from the previous day, according to the daily report released by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- UN chief says declaration of coronavirus pandemic is call to action Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has called on governments to immediately "scale up" their efforts to confront the new coronavirus in an attempt to stop the now-global pandemic.
- 'Worst Yet to Come,' WHO Chief Warns About Coronavirus Pandemic VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization Wednesday declared the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, with 114 countries confirming cases, while the United States announced a European travel ban and the National Basketball Association said its games are on hold for now.
- Coronavirus update: Countries urged to fight 'controllable' pandemic UN News 12 Mar 2020 -- With the COVID-19 outbreak now a pandemic, countries should not let up on efforts to fight its spread, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said in Geneva on Thursday.
- DOD Halts Travel To, From COVID-19 Affected Countries DoD News 12 Mar 2020 -- In response to the growing coronavirus epidemic, Defense Department officials are looking to safeguard the health and safety of military and civilian personnel and their families.
- US keeps public in dark over COVID-19 Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- The US has become a major risk for the global coronavirus pandemic, as US officials continue to adopt an opaque, irresponsible, selfish and "laser-like focus on the economy" approach to the outbreak in the country that could undercut global efforts to address the global public health crisis, Chinese analysts said on Thursday.
- Rush Transcript: During Novel Coronavirus Briefing, Governor Cuomo Announces New Mass Gatherings Regulations New York State 12 Mar 2020
- State Health & Emergency Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 12 Mar 2020
- Americans advised to reconsider travel abroad due to COVID-19 People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The U.S. Department of State issued a travel advisory on Wednesday night, calling on U.S. citizens to reconsider travel abroad due to the global outbreak of COVID-19.
- Trump suspends all travel from Europe to U.S. except Britain People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The United States will suspend all travel from European countries except Britain for 30 days in a new measure faced with further spread of the COVID-19.
- Pence predicts thousands of more coronavirus cases in US Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- US Vice President Mike Pence says the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic has shifted from Asia to Europe, defending the Trump administration's new restrictions on travel from European countries.
- Trump Sharply Restricts Travel From Europe To U.S. For 30 Days Amid Virus Crisis RFE/RL 12 Mar 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has suspended most travel from Europe to the United States for 30 days as governments across the globe scramble to stem the spread of the global coronavirus pandemic.
- Air Force update for COVID-19 US Air Force 12 Mar 2020 -- In an effort to minimize the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 and to prioritize the health and safety of Department of the Air Force personnel, the following modifications have been made:
- Altus AFB announces presumptive positive COVID-19 case, upgrade to Health Protection Condition level US Air Force 12 Mar 2020 -- An active-duty U.S. Air Force Airman assigned to Altus Air Force Base, Oklahoma, is currently undergoing evaluation and treatment following a presumptive positive novel coronavirus test.
- US Imposes Travel Ban on 26 European Countries to Combat Coronavirus VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- The Trump administration will be suspending travel from 26 European countries for 30 days, beginning Friday at midnight, in response to the coronavirus pandemic. Vice President Mike Pence said Americans returning from Europe would need to self-quarantine for 14 days upon their return.
- NYC Declares State of Emergency Over Coronavirus VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- New York City, the economic heart of the United States, declared a State of Emergency on Thursday help combat the coronavirus.
- Europe Criticizes US Coronavirus Travel Ban as Financial Markets Plummet VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- The European Union has criticized U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to ban most European travelers from entering the United States for 30 days. From midnight Friday Washington time, all foreign nationals who have entered the EU's border-free Schengen zone in the previous 14 days will be barred from U.S. entry, in an effort to stop the spread of the coronavirus.
- EU leaders blast Trump for 'unilateral' travel ban over coronavirus Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- The European Union leaders have lashed out at US President Donald Trump's "unilateral" decision to impose travel ban from Europe to the United States over the coronavirus, saying the illness does not respect borders.
- European Leaders Assail Trump Over Unilateral Flight Ban VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- Top European officials assailed U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday for unilaterally imposing a ban on most flights from the continent to the United States without consulting them first about his attempt to prevent the spread of the deadly coronavirus.
- What Happens if US Declares a Coronavirus National Emergency VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- With the World Health Organization classifying the global coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, U.S. President Donald Trump announced late Wednesday a series of emergency measures, including an unprecedented 30-day suspension of all flights from Europe.
- French Travel Industry Blasts Trump's Travel Ban on Europeans VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- French airlines expect to lose business as a result of U.S. President Donald Trump's decision to suspend travel from Europe to the United States for a month because of the coronavirus outbreak.
- Peak of viral epidemic passes in China Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- The National Health Commission (NHC) announced on Thursday that peak of the COVID-19 epidemic in China has passed, with numerous improving signals including the fact that the number of new cases in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province, declined to single digits for the first time.
- Hubei's new COVID-19 cases drop to single digit Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported eight new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Wednesday, local health commission said Thursday.
- Wuhan urges follow-up supervision for over 30,000 recovered patients People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- In Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province and the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, more than 30,000 patients have been cured and discharged from hospital. In line with the country's latest diagnosis and treatment scheme, the discharged patients are suggested to undergo a further quarantine for 14 days.
- China says COVID-19 peak is over People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The peak of the current outbreak of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in China is over, a government spokesperson said Thursday.
- China's Jiangxi lowers coronavirus response level People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- East China's Jiangxi Province downgraded its emergency response to the novel coronavirus outbreak from level I to level II starting Thursday, local authorities said.
- Beijing reports 5 new suspected cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- Beijing on Wednesday reported five new suspected cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), four of which were imported, local health authorities said Thursday.
- China Shuts Down Everest Route, Shifts Focus to Overseas Pandemic Radio Free Asia 12 Mar 2020 -- China has shut down permits for Mt. Everest amid the coronavirus epidemic, as the ruling Chinese Communist Party's propaganda message focuses on 'imported cases' of COVID-19.
- Wuhan able to deal with all COVID-19 cases by end of March: leading epidemiologist Global Times 12 Mar 2020 -- China's Wuhan, the city with the most serious COVID-19 situation, could "clear all infected cases to zero" by the end of March, if all the work for epidemic prevention and control is implemented strictly and no emergencies happen such as infected people coming from overseas, said a leading epidemiologist based in Wuhan.
- Italy announces stringent new anti-coronavirus measures People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Wednesday evening announced the closure of all retail shops, coffee bars, pubs, restaurants, hair stylists, and beauty salons, and called on the private sector to let employees take leave or work from home as much as possible.
- Italian PM Imposes 2 More Weeks of Tougher Coronavirus Restrictions VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- The Italian government further tightened restrictions on the nation for two weeks Thursday. All stores, including bars and restaurants, will remain closed. The latest decision came after the death toll from coronavirus jumped to more than 800 and cases in Italy rose to more than 12,000.
- UK set to move to second phase in fighting coronavirus People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The British government is set to move to "delay" phase, the second in Britain's four-step move, in responding to the coronavirus by closing schools, cancelling major sporting events and making people work from home, British media reported Wednesday night.
- Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships UK FCO 12 Mar 2020 -- British nationals aged 70 and over, and those with underlying health conditions like chronic diseases and diabetes, are advised not to travel on cruise ships.
- European countries act to withstand economic shocks due to COVID-19 People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The European Union (EU) on Wednesday launched an investment initiative worth several billion euros to cushion the economic impact of COVID-19, while some members have acted in this regard for days.
- Denmark reports 180 more COVID-19 cases, 442 in total People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- Further 180 cases COVID-19 infection were confirmed Wednesday in Denmark, raising the total number from 262 to 442 in one day, according to the Danish Patient Safety Authority.
- France confirms 2,281 coronavirus cases, fatalities at 48 People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- France now has 2,281 confirmed coronavirus infection cases -- nearly 500 more than a day before, with 48 deaths and 105 patients hospitalized in intensive care, Health Minister Olivier Veran said on Wednesday evening.
- Sweden bans major public events over coronavirus, reports first victim People's Daily 12 Mar 2020 -- The Swedish government announced on Wednesday evening that restrictions on all public events with more than 500 people would come into force at midnight and that anyone found breaking the rules may face fines or six months in prison.
- Status Update – Management of Covid-19 Cases by MOD India PIB 12 Mar 2020 -- Ministry of Defence has mobilised all necessary resources to support the national effort towards the management of COVID-19 cases.
- Update on COVID-19: Preparedness and Actions taken India PIB 12 Mar 2020 -- Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) is now officially a global pandemic. With over 118,000 coronavirus cases sweeping across 114 countries of the world, the World Health Organization declared it a pandemic yesterday.
- India Quarantines Itself' to Isolate Country from Deadly Infection VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- India has virtually shut itself off from the world in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus as it suspended entry for foreign nationals for a month, except for those from a handful of categories.
- Pakistan Links Some of Its 21 Coronavirus Cases to Syria VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Pakistan Thursday said the number of coronavirus cases in the country has risen to 21, noting that eight of them were imported from Syria.
- UN urges int'l support for Iran in fight against coronavirus outbreak IRNA 12 Mar 2020 -- The United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres called on the affiliated organizations and member states to support Iran's efforts in countering coronavirus outbreak.
- Leader orders army to set up sanitary, treatment headquarters to organize public services IRNA 12 Mar 2020 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei in an order to Chief of staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri late on Thursday stressed the need for the establishment of sanitary and treatment headquarters to organize public services in a bid to prevent further spread of coronavirus.
- Zarif outlines Iran's medical needs to fight COVID19 IRNA 12 Mar 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a message outlined the health ministry's requirements to fight coronavirus pandemic.
- FM Zarif writes letter to UN chief, urges US brutal sanctions to be lifted for fighting coronavirus IRNA 12 Mar 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Thursday that Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif in a letter to the UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for removing all the unilateral sanctions imposed by the US to help fight coronavirus.
- Official: Coronavirus infects more than 10,000; kills 429 in Iran IRNA 12 Mar 2020 -- The head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office said on Thursday that 10,075 have been infected with the coronavirus and 429 have lost their lives to it.
- Leader orders formation of 'health & treatment base' to fight virus epidemic Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei has issued an edict to Iran's top general, emphasizing the need for the establishment of a "health and treatment base" to prevent further spread of an ongoing coronavirus epidemic in the country.
- Iran's FM urges removal of unilateral US sanctions to help fight against virus epidemic Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has written a letter to the United Nations secretary general, urging lifting of the unilateral and illegal sanctions imposed by the United States on the country, which have greatly hampered the Islamic Republic's fight against the new coronavirus epidemic.
- South Korea Shows World How to Slow Spread of Coronavirus VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- South Korea has shown the world it may be possible to slow the spread of the coronavirus without resorting to heavy-handed lockdowns as seen in China, Italy and elsewhere.
- Ministry of Health announces recovery of first case of those infected with Coronavirus and the registration of 24 new infections SPA 12 Mar 2020 -- Today, the Ministry of Health announced the recovery of the first case of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19), as laboratory tests showed the citizen's recovery from the virus, and it announced the registration of 24 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (Covid 19).
- Early screenings, experience helped Taiwan contain COVID-19: minister CNA 12 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's experience in fighting epidemics and its decision to screen inbound flight passengers from China at an early stage has so far helped the country contain the outbreak of the COVID-19 coronavirus disease, Health Minister Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said Thursday.
- Travel Bans in Vogue as Governments Try to Contain Coronavirus VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- Governments around the world are responding to the coronavirus pandemic with more and more travel bans as they seek to prevent imported cases while also avoiding or containing the spread of cases within their borders.
- Corona virus related news summary Press TV 12 Mar 2020 -- As the Covid-19 pandemic is finally designated a pandemic by The World Health Organisation (WHO), many are worried about the repercussions across the globe, especially since there have been differing official responses and guidelines propagated by different countries.
- COVID-19 Decimates Vietnamese Economy, Threatens Many Firms Radio Free Asia 12 Mar 2020 -- The ongoing COVID-19 epidemic is wreaking havoc on the Vietnamese economy, with businesses and companies of all sizes showing revenues much lower than expected over the first two months of 2020, and more than 3,000 firms closing, authorities said Thursday.
- Coronavirus Barely Touches Armenia But Hurts Economic Ties With Iran, China RFE/RL 12 Mar 2020 -- The coronavirus pandemic was a latecomer to the Caucasus, seemingly avoiding the region.
- Afghans Brace For Coronavirus As Thousands Return From Iran RFE/RL 12 Mar 2020 -- Officials in Afghanistan's western province of Herat are bracing for a rise in coronavirus infections, as thousands of Afghans return from neighboring Iran every day.
- Kazakhstan Cancels Norouz, Military Celebrations To Ward Off Coronavirus RFE/RL 12 Mar 2020 -- Kazakhstan has launched preventive measures against possible coronavirus spread, including canceling Norouz holiday celebrations and a military parade devoted to the 75th anniversary of the victory over Nazi Germany.
- UAE Health Ministry Announces 11 new COVID-19 Cases SPA 12 Mar 2020 -- The UAE Ministry of Health and Prevention has announced 11 new cases of the coronavirus, COVID-19, in the UAE on Thursday.
- Haiti Intensifies Coronavirus Preparations VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- Haiti's public health minister says there are at least 941 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in the Americas, as the virus continues to spread globally.
- South Africa Sees First Local Coronavirus Transmission VOA 12 Mar 2020 -- South Africa has seen its first locally transmitted case of novel coronavirus, a week after the nation reported its first case on March 5. That brings the country's total number of confirmed cases to 17, with cases in at least five of the country's nine provinces. Meanwhile, South Africa's military is preparing to bring home 122 COVID-negative citizens from Wuhan, the Chinese city where the virus originated.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|