11 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- U.S. Potential Target for Malicious Actors, DOD Official Tells Congress DoD News 11 Mar 2020 -- The United States is no longer a sanctuary, but a target, Kenneth Rapuano, the assistant secretary of defense for homeland defense, told the House Armed Services Committee in Washington today.
- DEA-Led Operation Nets More Than 600 Arrests Targeting Cártel Jalisco Nueva Generación US Dept. of Justice 11 Mar 2020 -- The Justice Department and the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) today announced the results of Project Python, a DEA-led interagency operation encompassing all global investigations and related disruption activities targeting the Cártel de Jalisco Nueva Generación (CJNG).
- Treasury Sanctions Businesses Linked to Mexican Cartels US Treasury 11 Mar 2020 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today designated four Mexican businesses pursuant to the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (Kingpin Act) because of their links to the Cartel de Jalisco Nueva Generacion (CJNG) and the Los Cuinis Drug Trafficking Organization (Los Cuinis), two closely allied Mexican drug trafficking organizations.
- More support key for counter-terrorism in Africa, where 'misogyny is at the heart of so many' groups UN News 11 Mar 2020 -- The UN Security Council on Wednesday called for greater international support to African countries in their continued fight against terrorism and violent extremism, particularly in parts of the Sahel, the Lake Chad Basin region and the Horn of Africa.
- Statement from Attorney General William P. Barr on House Legislation to Reauthorize the USA Freedom Act US Dept. of Justice 11 Mar 2020
- US House leaders reach deal to extend surveillance program Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- Democratic and Republican leaders of the US House of Representatives have reached an agreement that would extend a controversial set of government surveillance tools.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 51 WHO 11 March 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 11 March 2020 WHO
- World Health Organization Declares Coronavirus Outbreak a 'Pandemic' VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization determined Wednesday that the fast-spreading coronavirus outbreak is now a pandemic and warned that the worst is likely yet to come.
- WHO Declares Coronavirus Pandemic As Russia Cancels More Flights To Europe RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- Russia is canceling flights to many European destinations due to fears of the new coronavirus spreading as the World Health Organization (WHO) designates the outbreak a pandemic.
- WHO Declares Coronavirus Outbreak a Pandemic Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- According to the WHO Director-General, the number of cases outside China has increased 13-fold in the past two weeks.
- Coronavirus: Pandemic alert should be trigger for countries to do more against COVID-19 UN News 11 Mar 2020 -- Countries must "double-down" on their efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus, the UN health agency said on Wednesday, after announcing that the global emergency can now be described as a pandemic.
- Homeland Security Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf’s Statement on Presidential Proclamation To Protect the Homeland from Travel-Related Coronavirus Spread DHS 11 Mar 2020 -- "Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States."
- Remarks by President Trump in Address to the Nation The White House 11 Mar 2020
- Trump Announces New Economic Measures, Europe Travel Suspension VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- After the World Health Organization declared the coronavirus a pandemic and U.S. stocks plunged into a bear market, U.S. President Donald Trump announced new economic measures and a European travel ban intended to calm an increasingly nervous nation.
- Remarks by President Trump in Meeting with Bankers on COVID-19 The White House 11 Mar 2020
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 11 Mar 2020
- White House Coronavirus Task Force Announces Community Mitigation Strategies For New Rochelle, NY The White House 11 Mar 2020
- Exercise Defender-Europe 20 update Army News 11 Mar 2020 -- After careful review of the ongoing Defender-Europe 20 exercise activities and in light of the current Coronavirus outbreak, we will modify the exercise by reducing the number of U.S. participants. Activities associated with the exercise will be adjusted accordingly and we'll work closely with Allies and partners to meet our highest priority training objectives.
- US military curtails Europe exercise over Coronavirus fears Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- The US military has announced that it will reduce the number of troops that were supposed to take part in an exercise in Europe over "health protection" amid the Coronavirus outbreak.
- Trump to Address Nation on Coronavirus VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- As the World Health Organization declared the novel coronavirus a pandemic, and U.S. stocks plunged into a bear market, President Donald Trump said he would address the nation Wednesday evening.
- White House Coronavirus Task Force Announces Community Mitigation Strategies For Seattle, Santa Clara The White House 11 Mar 2020
- Rush Transcript: During Novel Coronavirus Briefing, Governor Cuomo Announces New York State Will Contract with 28 Private Labs to Increase Coronavirus Testing Capacity New York State 11 Mar 2020
- State Health & Emergency Officials Release Guidance to Prepare and Protect Homeless Californians and Service Providers from COVID-19 California Department of Public Health 11 Mar 2020
- US prisons at risk of coronavirus outbreak Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Prisons in the US may become the next epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak, as they are particularly vulnerable to viral spreading due to the fragmented jail management model in the US, as well as Washington's lax attitude toward prevention work, warned Chinese observers.
- Number of COVID-19 cases tops 1,000 in U.S.: Johns Hopkins University People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- The number of COVID-19 cases in the United States have topped 1,000 by 11:30 p.m. EST Tuesday (0330 GMT on Wednesday), reaching 1001 with 28 deaths, according to Center for Systems Science and Engineering (CSSE) at Johns Hopkins University.
- US coronavirus cases surge past 1,000, death toll reaches 28 Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- The number of coronavirus cases in the United States has surged past 1,000 as the virus swelled on both coasts of the country, with its top public health official warning that the outbreak is likely to get worse.
- Experts urge more screening Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported six imported COVID-19 cases, including the first from the US, on Wednesday, which prompted experts and residents to urge stricter screening and management of people arriving from the US as the country seems lax in epidemic control and management.
- Beijing sets up transfer center for arrivals from overseas Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing has set up a 24/7 transfer center in suburban Shunyi district for people arriving from overseas to arrange quarantine and health management work as the capital city faces mounting pressure from imported cases.
- China to continue sharing experience, medical resources in COVID-19 fight: FM Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- China's Foreign Ministry says that with China's successful experience in containing the coronavirus, it is willing to make contributions to the global battle against COVID-19 while making unceasing efforts to tame the epidemic domestically.
- Beijing requires quarantine for all people entering from overseas Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing on Wednesday further tightened its prevention and control measures for foreigners as more imported novel coronavirus cases arrived in the city.
- Hubei city resumes lockdown measures 7 hours after easing restraints in coronavirus battle Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in Qianjiang city, Hubei Province retracted their decision made one day earlier to lift transport restrictions amid the battle against the COVID-19 infection and resumed draconian lockdown on Wednesday.
- Chinese mainland excluding Hubei reports 11 new COVID-19 cases, all but one imported People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported 11 new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Tuesday outside Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, down from 890 on Feb. 3, according to the National Health Commission Wednesday.
- Beijing reports six imported COVID-19 cases People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- Beijing reported six new imported cases of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) on Tuesday, local health authorities said Wednesday.
- 24 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection reported on Chinese mainland People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Wednesday it received reports of 24 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 22 deaths on the Chinese mainland on Tuesday.
- 1,578 recovered COVID-19 patients discharged on Chinese mainland People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- A total of 1,578 patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) were discharged from hospital after recovery Tuesday on the Chinese mainland, the National Health Commission said Wednesday.
- 'China out of darkest moment' Global Times 11 Mar 2020 -- While the threat of a pandemic has become real as the world meltdown caused by the coronavirus is accelerating, with spikes in confirmed cases and a surging death toll, China, the first country entangled in the unprecedented public health crisis, is gradually ascending from the darkest moment two months later following all-out efforts and strong collective will.
- Italy to Allocate Additional 25 Billion Euros to Fight Coronavirus - Conte Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- Italy is set to allocate an additional 25 billion euros ($ 28 billion) to fight the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced on Wednesday.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Denmark Rises to 340 - Health Ministry Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- The number of people diagnosed with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Denmark on Wednesday reached 340, with over 1,200 people being quarantined, according to the country's Health Ministry.
- British Minister Contracts Coronavirus, Germany Warns of 58 Million Infections VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- The coronavirus crisis deepened in Europe on Wednesday with a warning from Germany's leader that 70% of the country's population – 58 million people – could eventually be infected.
- Moscow Bans Large-Scale Events Over Virus Fears, Ukraine Receives Rapid Test Kits RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- Moscow authorities have banned all mass public events of more than 5,000 people for a month to fight the coronavirus.
- High level Group of Ministers reviews current status, and actions for prevention and management of COVID-19 India PIB 11 Mar 2020 -- On the directions of the Hon. Prime Minister, a high level Group of Ministers (GOM) was constituted to review, monitor and evaluate the preparedness and measures taken regarding management of Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), in the country.
- Update on COVID-19 - India Evacuates its citizens from Iran India PIB 11 Mar 2020 -- Government of India has undertaken evacuation operations from several countries in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak to bring back Indian citizens as well as nationals from other countries..
- Over 100,000 Basij, IRGC forces are fighting coronavirus IRNA 11 Mar 2020 -- A spokesman for the Islamic Revolution Guard Corps (IRGC) emphasized that more than 100,000 Basij (voluntary forces) and IRGC forces are serving the people against coronavirus.
- Official: COVID19 death toll reaches 354 in Iran IRNA 11 Mar 2020 -- Head of Iran's Health Ministry Public Relations Office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Wednesday that 2,959 people out of a total of 9,000 infected by the coronavirus have survived the deadly disease while 354 have unfortunately succumbed to death.
- President Rouhani: Gov't, officials involved in fighting COVID-19 IRNA 11 Mar 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani said on Wednesday that government and all officials are involved in fighting coronavirus. He advised to minimize all inter-provincial and intra-provincial voyages to contain the epidemic.
- Iran's Rouhani: Entire government involved in coronavirus fight Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- President Hassan Rouhani says his entire administration is involved in the fight against a coronavirus outbreak across the country, stressing that all state institutions and officials are, in parallel, doing their utmost to minimize the damage caused by the epidemic to people's livelihood.
- Calls for President Rouhani to take helm of Iran committee fighting coronavirus Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- Calls have been growing for Iran's President Hassan Rouhani to personally take charge of a crisis committee formed to manage the nationwide fight against a coronavirus epidemic that has gripped several provinces.
- Iran Announces 63 New Coronavirus Deaths, Amid Concern Over Jailed Foreign Nationals RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- Iran says it has reported 63 new deaths from the novel coronavirus in the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 354.
- Iran's Revolutionary Guard Says 5 Members Dead After Contracting Coronavirus Sputnik 11 Mar 2020 -- Five members of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) have died after contracting the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) while attempting to contain its spread, IRGC spokesman Ramadan Sharif said Thursday.
- S.Korea's COVID-19 cases rise to 7,755, death toll at 61 People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 242 more cases of the COVID-19 compared to 24 hours ago as of midnight Wednesday local time, raising the total number of infections to 7,755.
- COVID-19 infections in Japan rise to 568, death toll at 31 People's Daily 11 Mar 2020 -- Japan's health ministry and local governments said that the number of COVID-19 infections increased by one on Tuesday to stand at a total of 568 infected people in Japan as of 10:30 a.m. local time here.
- Rapid COVID-19 screening kits could be available by year-end CNA 11 Mar 2020 -- Rapid screening kits being developed by Taiwan's National Health Research Institute (NHRI) for the coronavirus disease COVID-19 could be available for use by medical personnel by the end of the year, the institute's president said Wednesday.
- 361 evacuees from China's Hubei province placed in quarantine CNA 11 Mar 2020 -- A total of 361 Taiwanese nationals who returned to Taiwan Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning from China's Hubei province, after being stranded due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease COVID-19, have been placed in quarantine, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan issues travel alerts for 10 European, Middle Eastern countries CNA 11 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) issued a Level 2 travel alert Wednesday for 10 European and Middle Eastern countries due to the rapid rise of confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Woman in her 30s becomes Taiwan's 48th COVID-19 confirmed case CNA 11 Mar 2020 -- A Taiwanese woman in her 30s, who recently traveled to the United Kingdom, was confirmed on Wednesday as having contracted the respiratory illness COVID-19, making her the 48th case in Taiwan, according to the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC).
- Taiwan evacuates 169 on second flight from Hubei CNA 11 Mar 2020 -- A charter plane carrying 169 Taiwanese nationals stranded in China's Hubei Province touched down at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport at 11:35 p.m. Tuesday in the second evacuation of Taiwanese from the epicenter of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
- North Korean City Quarantines Suspected Coronavirus Patients, Makes Them Pay the Bill Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2020 -- North Korean authorities are quarantining suspected COVID-19 patients in overpriced accommodations and then passing the bill on to them, demanding that patients pay for their quarantine in full before they are allowed to return to their homes, sources in the country told RFA.
- Laos Cancels Public Events Including Lao New Year Celebrations on COVID-19 Fears Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in Laos are urging the public to suspend or postpone all "unnecessary" social events including weddings and Lao New Year celebrations in an attempt to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- COVID-19: China reports new infections; Turkey, Bolivia confirm 1st cases Press TV 11 Mar 2020 -- China has reported an increase in its new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, reversing four consecutive days of decreases, and more countries are reporting their first infections.
- Ukraine To Shut Schools, Universities To Prevent Coronavirus Spread RFE/RL 11 Mar 2020 -- The Ukrainian government has decided to ban mass gatherings and to close schools and universities for three weeks in a bid to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Australia Extends Virus Travel Ban to Italy VOA 11 Mar 2020 -- Australia has expanded its coronavirus travel ban to include Italy. Restrictions are already in place for foreign nationals arriving from China, Iran and South Korea.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|