08 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
Other Security News
- US military to deploy troops to Mexico border to halt illegal crossings, virus spread Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- The US military has deployed 160 active-duty soldiers to the southern border regions to entry points at San Ysidro, California and El Paso, Texas in a purported bid to bolster security against a spike in illegal crossings and the spread of corona virus into the country.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 48 WHO 08 March 2020
- WHO: 100 Countries Now Reporting Coronavirus Cases VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- The World Health Organization said Sunday that 100 countries are now reporting coronavirus cases with more than 100,000 people reported as being ill.
- 101 Countries Now Affected by Coronavirus, Death Toll Outside of China Surpasses 480 - WHO Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Over 100 countries are now affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) with the total number of confirmed cases worldwide having surpassed 105,580, the latest situation report of the World Health Organization (WHO) says.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Confirms 16 Additional Coronavirus Cases in New York State - Bringing Statewide Total to 105 New York State 08 Mar 2020
- State Health & Emergency Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts California Department of Public Health 08 Mar 2020
- State of Washington, New York Report More COVID-19 Cases, US Death Toll Now at 19 Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Over a dozen new coronavirus cases have been registered in the state of New York, while the total US death toll from the COVID-19 virus has reached 19 after Washington State reported more deaths, state authorities announced.
- New York governor declares state of emergency as COVID-19 cases soar to 76 statewide People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- Governor of the U.S. state of New York declared a state of emergency on Saturday as the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the northeastern state rose to 76.
- Oregon declares state of emergency over covid-19 outbreak Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- Oregon has become the latest US state to declare a state of emergency over the spread of the novel Coronavirus in the country.
- Closure of Wuhan's 11 makeshift hospitals reflects epidemic under control: expert Global Times 08 Mar 2020 -- Eleven out of 14 Fang Cang makeshift hospitals in the epicenter Wuhan, in Central China's Hubei Province, purposely built for the COVID-19 treatment have closed as of Sunday, which experts said reflected the epidemic is under control and new infections continue to decline as of recently.
- Beijing escalates measures amid surge of imported COVID-19 cases Global Times 08 Mar 2020 -- Beijing has upgraded control measures and kept close track of incoming travelers from abroad with plans tailored to each overseas arrival to curb the COVID-19 epidemic as the capital city reported consecutive "imported infections" since Thursday.
- Wuhan coming out of darkest moment of virus outbreak: CDC chief epidemiologist Global Times 08 Mar 2020 -- Wuhan, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, is coming out of its darkest moment, China's Center for Disease and Control chief epidemiologist Zeng Guang said Saturday at a forum, adding that other Chinese cities are also making visible progress in combating against the disease.
- Wuhan closes its largest of first three makeshift hospitals amid surging recoveries Global Times 08 Mar 2020 -- After transferring out its last remaining patient, Wuhan health authorities, on Saturday, brought down the curtains on one of its Fangcang makeshift hospitals, the largest among the first three temporary hospitals built in the city at the onset of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
- China's new COVID-19 cases drop to double-digit figures since Jan. 21 People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- 17 in Gansu Province, three in Beijing, three in Shanghai and one in Guangdong Province.
- Number of New COVID-19 Cases in China Outside Hubei Province Drops to 3 - Health Commission Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Just a week ago, there were 41,625 recovered individuals in China. The total death toll in China now stands at 3,097. As of Sunday, there have been a total of 80,695 confirmed coronavirus cases in mainland China.
- 27 New Deaths from Coronavirus in Mainland China, Over 57,000 Recovered Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- COVID-19 was first detected in China's Wuhan in December and has since spread across the world. In late January, the World Health Organisation declared a global health emergency in light of the epidemic.
- China Scrambles to Boost Its Image on Coronavirus VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- Weeks after Beijing was criticized by people inside China and around the world for a sluggish response to the outbreak of a new coronavirus, China's government is trying to recast itself as a global health leader.
- Coronavirus cases outside China hit 20,000: WHO People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- A total of 21,114 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been reported by 93 countries and regions outside China as of 10:00 CET Saturday, an increase of 3,633 infections from the previous day, according to the daily situation report released by the World Health Organization (WHO) Saturday evening.
- Finland to Skip NATO Cold Response Drills Amid Coronavirus Fears Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The Finnish Armed Forces on Sunday bowed out of the Norway-led Cold Response exercise involving NATO allies and partners amid coronavirus concerns.
- Coronavirus outbreak: Italy locks down 5 regions in north, quarantines 16mn Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- Italy has placed entire areas – including the financial capital, Milan – under forced quarantine in an attempt to contain an already widespread outbreak of the new coronavirus.
- Italian PM Signs Decree Imposing Quarantine in Northern Regions to Contain Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Italy remains one of the countries affected most by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which has claimed the lives of at least 233 people in the country and infected over 5,880 people.
- Political Backlash Mounts to Coronavirus Lock-Down in North Italy VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- Train stations in northern Italy were stormed with thousands of Italians, many of them students, trying to flee the regions of Lombardy and Veneto, ahead of the implementation of a government order Sunday quarantining a swathe of northern Italy, including the cities of Milan and Venice.
- Italy Locks Down a Quarter of its Population VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has taken new extraordinary measures to fight the spread of Coronavirus in Italy, where more than 5,800 people have been infected and the death toll, now over 200, continues to rise.
- Bulgaria, Moldova Report First Coronavirus Cases RFE/RL 08 Mar 2020 -- Bulgaria and Moldova have confirmed the first cases of the coronavirus in those countries.
- UK Registers Third Death From Coronavirus-Related Complications Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The number of people, who died of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the United Kingdom, has risen from two to three, Chief Medical Officer for England Chris Whitty said on Sunday.
- Coronovirus Deaths Reach 366 in Italy, Infection Tally Grows by Dozens in Germany, France Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Germany
- Coronavirus Cases Climb by Dozens in Germany, Austria Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The number of infected with the new coronavirus in Germany and Austria is rising steadily, with dozens of new cases reported on Sunday.
- Moscow goes 'high alert', will jail people ignoring coronavirus self-isolation rules Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- In Moscow, there is now a 'high alert regime' and authorities have imposed extra measures to contain the outbreak of the new coronavirus; meanwhile, the battle against COVID-19 goes on in other parts of the globe.
- Three New COVID-19 Cases Registered in Russia Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Russia has confirmed three new cases of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in people who visited Italy within the past fortnight, the Russian coronavirus response center said on Sunday.
- Taiwan issues orange travel alert for Russia over COVID concerns CNA 08 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued an "orange" travel alert for Russia Sunday, after health authorities in Moscow imposed a state of "high alert" and a series of new measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19 in the Russian capital.
- Southern Indian State Moves To Contain Bird Flu Outbreak VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- A southern Indian state has begun a three-day bird culling process to contain an outbreak of avian influenza, also known as bird flu.
- Senior WHO director 'impressed' by Iran's handling of coronavirus Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- A senior official at the World Health Organization (WHO) says he has been impressed to see how Iran is fighting the spread of a coronavirus that has infected thousands of the people across the country.
- Iran reports 49 new deaths from virus; 2,134 recover Press TV 08 Mar 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry says 49 people have died from the novel coronavirus, the highest toll within 24 hours since the start of the outbreak in the country.
- Iran Reports Nearly 50 New Coronavirus Fatalities, Stops Flights To Europe RFE/RL 08 Mar 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry has reported 49 new coronavirus fatalities in the last 24 hours, bringing the total deaths from the illness in the country to 194.
- Iran Sees Deadliest Day of Coronavirus Outbreak With 49 Fatalities Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Iran saw the steepest rise in coronavirus-related deaths overnight, with 49 people dying from the COVID-19 disease, the Health Ministry spokesman said Sunday.
- S. Korea's COVID-19 cases rise to 7,134, death toll at 50 People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 367 more cases of the COVID-19 on Sunday, raising the total number of infections to 7,134.
- Over 7,000 Coronavirus Cases Registered in South Korea, Death Toll at 50 - KCDC Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The number of coronavirus-infected people has gone up to 7,134 in South Korea, with a total of 50 deaths from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) currently registered in the country, according to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).
- Coronavirus Cases in Japan Rise by 33 to 1,189 Over Past 24 Hours – Reports Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Japan has confirmed more than 1,100 cases of infection with the COVID-19 disease, more than a half of them from the virus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship.
- Japan reports 45 more cases of COVID-19, 1,159 in total People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- The number of the COVID-19 infections in Japan rose to 1,159 as of 10:30 a.m. local time on Sunday, an increase of 45 cases from a day earlier.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Saudi Arabia Rises to 11 - Health Ministry Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The number of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases in Saudi Arabia has risen to 11, the kingdom's Health Ministry said on Sunday.
- North Korea Rush Orders Medical Supplies from China to Battle Coronavirus Radio Free Asia 08 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in North Korea have put in a rush order for medical supplies necessary to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus from China, sources within the isolated country told RFA's Korean Service.
- LatAm countries take measures to prevent COVID-19 spread as first death reported People's Daily 08 Mar 2020 -- Latin American authorities have taken measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, as the first death from the virus was reported and more cases confirmed.
- Egyptian Health Ministry Confirms First Death From Coronavirus Disease Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- Egypt has confirmed the first death from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country, Health Ministry spokesman Khaled Mugahed said in a statement on Sunday, adding that the patient was a German citizen.
- Number of COVID-19 Cases in Chile Reaches 8 Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The Chilean Health Ministry confirmed on Sunday the eighth case of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the country.
- Argentina Registers First Death From Coronavirus-Related Complications Sputnik 08 Mar 2020 -- The first death from coronavirus-related complications (COVID-19) has been detected in Argentina, Health Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.
- First Case of Virus Found in Cambodian VOA 08 Mar 2020 -- A 38-year-old man in Siem Reap is the first Cambodian diagnosed with the coronavirus, the Health Ministry announced Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|