05 March 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- United States and Colombian Officials Set Bilateral Agenda to Reduce Cocaine Supply The White House 05 Mar 2020
- New Hampshire's 12th CST trains in frigid Alaskan weather Army News 05 Mar 2020 -- U.S. Army National Guard Staff Sgt. Sara McPherson, the decontamination NCO and acting noncommissioned officer in charge with the 12th Civil Support Team (CST), New Hampshire National Guard, set up a sick call for native Alaskans to seek medical treatment in Bethel Feb. 29 during exercise Arctic Eagle 2020.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 45 WHO 05 March 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 5 March 2020 WHO
- IMF to provide 50-bln-USD emergency financing to help address COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is making available about 50 billion U.S. dollars through its rapid-disbursing emergency financing facilities for low-income and emerging market countries in light of the COVID-19 outbreak, the multilateral lender announced Wednesday.
- IMF Chief: Coronavirus Crisis Dashes Hopes Of Strong Economic Growth In 2020 RFE/RL 05 Mar 2020 -- The head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) says the coronavirus outbreak has eliminated hopes of stronger economic growth in 2020 and will likely cap output gains to the lowest rate since the 2008-09 financial crisis.
- Coronavirus update: 290 million students now stuck at home UN News 05 Mar 2020 -- School closures in 13 countries linked to the COVID-19 virus epidemic have disrupted the education of more than 290 million students, a record number, the UN education agency UNESCO said on Thursday.
- Nearly 300 million students worldwide missing class due to coronavirus outbreak: UNESCO Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) says the new coronavirus outbreak has deprived nearly 300 million students of their schooling, as the highly-contagious disease has so far infected more than 95,000 people worldwide.
- Countries Scramble to Combat Coronavirus Spread VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Countries around the world are taking increasingly stringent measures to combat the spread of the coronavirus that has infected 95,000 people in more than 75 countries, as the number of new cases in China begins to wane.
- Defense Department Press Briefing Investigating and Developing Vaccine Candidates Against COVID-19 DoD 05 Mar 2020 -- Army Brigadier General Michael J. Talley, commander, U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC) and Fort Detrick; Army Colonel Wendy Sammons Jackson, director, USAMRDC's Military Infectious Diseases Research Program; Dr. Nelson Michael, director, Center for Infectious Disease Research, USAMRDC's Walter Reed Army Institute of Research; Dr. Kayvon Modjarrad, director, Emerging Infectious Diseases, USAMRDC's Walter Reed Army Institute of Research; Colonel Kathleen Turner, director, Army Media Relations Division (Moderator)
- Army Medical Personnel Describe Efforts to Develop Coronavirus Vaccine DoD News 05 Mar 2020 -- The Army held a Pentagon press briefing today to discuss their effort in developing a vaccine against the novel coronavirus, COVID-19.
- Tensions over fast-spreading coronavirus escalate in US Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Tensions over how to contain the fast-spreading coronavirus have escalated in the United States as the country's death toll climbed to nine and members of Congress criticized the government's ability to increase testing fast enough to deal with the crisis.
- Trump disputes WHO on coronavirus death rate, cites his 'hunch' Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- US President Donald Trump has disputed a new report from the World Health Organization that 3.4 percent of people who contract the coronavirus die from it, citing only his "hunch."
- Rush Transcript: At Coronavirus Briefing in Nassau County, Governor Cuomo Announces New York State Received Federal Approval to Work with Hospital Labs to Increase Testing Capacity New York State 05 Mar 2020
- Rush Transcript: At Novel Coronavirus Briefing, Governor Cuomo Confirms 11 Additional Cases - Bringing New York State Total to 22 New York State 05 Mar 2020
- U.S. lawmakers reach deal on emergency funding to combat COVID-19 as concern grows People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- U.S. lawmakers reached a deal on Wednesday to provide 7.8 billion U.S. dollars in emergency funding to combat the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19), amid growing public concern and pressure on Washington and health authorities.
- California declares emergency over coronavirus as death toll rises in US Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- California has declared a state of emergency after the first US death from the coronavirus outside of Washington state that brought the total number of fatalities to eleven nationwide.
- Epidemic fight in new stage People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- A key Party meeting on Wednesday presided over by Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee, stressed the need to unleash consumer demand that has been restrained during the novel coronavirus pneumonia outbreak and continuing to expand opening-up.
- World awaits vaccine progress People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- As the deadly virus has been continuing spreading worldwide and causing more than 12,000 infections outside China, scientists from different countries are racing against time to develop vaccines and effective therapies to control the virus spread and prevent it from becoming a pandemic. At this critical time, cooperation rather than competition between countries that are hit hard by the virus is ever more important for finding a way out, analysts said.
- China's Hubei reports 134 new confirmed coronavirus cases People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 134 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 31 deaths on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- Makeshift hospitals suspend discharges amid recovered patients testing positive Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Makeshift hospitals in Wuhan, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, have decided to suspend the discharge of patients, after some recovered cases tested positive again for COVID-19.
- Zhejiang hit by imported COVID-19 cases from Italy Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Among 20 imported cases of COVID-19 in China as of Thursday, East China's Zhejiang Province has reported 10, all from Italy which saw the biggest outbreak in Europe. This has prompted local authorities to mobilize special teams and share big data to track every one of them down to prevent further infection domestically as some may lie about their illness.
- Wuhan hospital to enhance checks after discharged patients retest positive Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- A makeshift hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the COVID-19 outbreak, has decided to carry out additional virus antibody checks on patients who are about to be discharged, after some recovered cases tested positive again for COVID-19.
- 20 imported confirmed cases in China, mainly from Italy Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- East China's Zhejiang reported two new confirmed imported cases of COVID19 from Italy, bringing the total number of imported confirmed cases to 20 nationwide, the national health authority said on Thursday.
- China honors commitment to global anti-coronavirus cooperation: FM spokesperson Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- China honored its commitment to international cooperation in the fight against novel coronavirus in an open, transparent and responsible manner, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said Wednesday.
- Carrie Lam says Hong Kong can win battle against COVID-19 Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- Chief Executive of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Carrie Lam said Wednesday that she is confident that Hong Kong can win the battle against the COVID-19.
- First dog coronavirus suspect confirmed in Hong Kong Global Times 05 Mar 2020 -- A virologist has suggested that dogs might get a different strain of coronavirus than human beings, after the world's first case of a pet dog testing positive was reported in Hong Kong.
- Xi Postpones Japan Visit Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping is postponing a visit to Japan scheduled for next month as both countries deal with the outbreak of a new coronavirus that has infected 95,000 people in more than 75 countries.
- Italy replaces Iran as country with highest coronavirus cases after China Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Italy has replaced Iran as the country with the highest number of coronavirus deaths outside of China, as its fatalities exceed 100.
- Italy Closes Schools, Universities Due to Coronavirus Spread VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- As the coronavirus continues to spread in Europe, extraordinary measures are being put into place on the continent.
- Bosnia Records First Cases Of Coronavirus, Man And Child Test Positive RFE/RL 05 Mar 2020 -- Bosnia-Herzegovina has reported its first two confirmed cases of the coronavirus, a worker and his child in the predominantly Serb-populated area of the Balkan country.
- Britain's Coronavirus Strategy Sows Confusion VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Britain's chief medical officer briefed lawmakers Thursday amid an expected surge in confirmed cases of coronavirus, saying the country is moving from a "containment" phase to one focused on "delaying" the spread, in a bid to avoid high peaks of infections that could overwhelm healthcare services.
- US Accuses Russia of Spreading Fear, Panic on Coronavirus VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- The United States is accusing Russia of opening up its entire disinformation playbook to prey on growing fears about the spread of the coronavirus.
- Spurt in Coronavirus Cases Prompts India to Take New Precautions VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- For weeks India, the world's second most populous country, stayed alert but hopeful that it was escaping the worst of the coronavirus outbreak – only three cases had been detected in a southern state among students who returned from China.
- Iran Closes Schools, Takes Other Measures As Virus Toll Rises Further RFE/RL 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran has closed all schools and adopted a series of other new measures as it battles the worst outbreak of coronavirus outside of China.
- Coronavirus death toll hits 107 in Iran IRNA 05 Mar 2020 -- Head of the Iran's Health Ministry's public relations office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Thursday that 3,513 people have been affected by the virus so far, from whom 107 have lost their lives.
- Iran's health minister declares National mobilization plan against coronavirus IRNA 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran's minister of health declared launching national mobilization plan as of Thursday in infected places, saying that the national mobilization plan will include the other parts of the country as well in a few days.
- Shamkhani decries enemy propaganda over failure of Iranian health system to stem coronavirus IRNA 05 Mar 2020 -- Secretary of the Supreme National Security Council Ali Shamkhani on Thursday decried the enemy propaganda over failure of Iranian health system to stem coronavirus, saying that the enemy embarked on psychological warfare to damage mental health of Iranians.
- Iran's president urges U.S. to lift sanctions to help fight COVID-19 People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said Wednesday that if the U.S. really wants to help Iran fight novel coronavirus, it should lift the sanctions, including a ban on importing medical supplies.
- Iran receives more int'l aid over COVID-19, criticizing U.S. for sanctions People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran announced on Wednesday that the international community has contributed its aid to the country's health efforts over novel coronavirus, Tasnim news agency reported on Wednesday.
- Iran opening 14 new hospitals amid coronavirus surge Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran's health ministry is taking the delivery of 14 new hospitals across the country amid a surge in coronavirus cases that has increased the need for treatment facilities.
- Iran's Health Ministry: 552 patients recover from coronavirus Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Iran says 522 patients infected with the coronavirus have recovered so far as the country intensifies measures to combat the epidemic.
- Iran's Zarif says fight against coronavirus is a collective one Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif says the international community has a duty to help the country's fight against coronavirus.
- Coronavirus Conspiracy? Iranian Commander Suggests Virus Might Be U.S. Biological Weapon RFE/RL 05 Mar 2020 -- A top Iranian military official is spreading a conspiracy theory regarding the coronavirus amid an outbreak in the Islamic republic that has killed more than 100 people, including an adviser to Iran's supreme leader, and infected more than 3,500, according to official figures.
- S.Korea's COVID-19 cases rise to 5,766, death toll at 36 People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 438 more cases of the COVID-19 on Thursday, raising the total number of infections to 5,766.
- Seoul Tries 'Social Distancing' to Prevent Coronavirus Spread VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- As advertising campaigns for major world cities go, "Let's Take a Break From Social Life" is not exactly inspiring.
- Australia Confirms 2nd Coronavirus Death VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Australia has confirmed its second death from the coronavirus. The latest victim is a 95-year-old woman who died at a nursing home in Sydney. Australia now has more than 40 confirmed COVID-19 cases.
- Australia records second COVID-19 death as case numbers climb People's Daily 05 Mar 2020 -- A 95-year-old woman who passed away in Australia this week has tested positive for COVID-19, health authorities confirmed on Thursday, taking the country's death toll from the virus to 2.
- Saudi Arabia expands ban on Umrah pilgrimage over coronavirus fears Press TV 05 Mar 2020 -- Saudi Arabia has banned its citizens and other residents of the kingdom from performing Umrah pilgrimage in Mecca or visiting the Prophet's Mosque in Medina amid the rapid spread of a coronavirus worldwide, expanding an earlier such ban on foreigners.
- Precautions on Coronavirus Continue and Necessary Measures Taken based on Data, Ministry of Health Says SPA 05 Mar 2020 -- Spokesman for the Ministry of Health Dr. Mohammed Al-Abdulaali confirmed that the precautions regarding the novel Coronavirus are ongoing and the procedures that are taking place at the outlets or inside the health facilities are continuing with strict follow-up.
- Taiwan confirms two new COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 44 CNA 05 Mar 2020 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Thursday confirmed two new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus, involving a woman who was likely infected by the 39th case and a man who returned from the Philippines on Tuesday.
- North, South Korea Exchange Letters About Coronavirus VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- North and South Korean leaders are again speaking after months of broken-down communication. This time, though, the two countries are focusing their discussions on the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
- Coronavirus Spins Trouble for Bangladeshi Garments Radio Free Asia 05 Mar 2020 -- Bangladesh's garment industry, the engine of the South Asian nation's economy, has suffered huge losses with disruptions in the supply chain of fabrics imported from China as a result of the novel coronavirus outbreak, factory owners and economists said Thursday.
- Kenya's Economy Hit by Coronavirus Despite No Confirmed Infections VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- Kenya is feeling the economic effects of the coronavirus, despite having no infections, as imports from China fall because of travel bans for people and goods.
- Coronavirus Fears Trigger Panic-Buying In Tajikistan RFE/RL 05 Mar 2020 -- Authorities in Tajikistan are trying to reassure the population that the Central Asian nation has enough food supplies, after panic-buying over coronavirus fears caused food price hikes and shortages.
- South Africa Confirms 1st Coronavirus Case VOA 05 Mar 2020 -- South Africa's health minister on Thursday confirmed the nation's first case of the novel coronavirus, in a 38-year-old man who had recently traveled to Italy.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|