29 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Hundreds of Indonesian Former IS Members, Families Could Become Stateless VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- A recent decision by the government in Jakarta not to repatriate hundreds of its citizens suspected of membership in the Islamic State (IS) terror group has set off a debate over the fate of the Indonesians, with some experts warning it could become an international dilemma if their citizenship is revoked.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 40 WHO 29 February 2020
- New US Guidelines Will Allow Faster Coronavirus Testing VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- Federal regulators are allowing hospitals and other laboratories to develop their own tests for the coronavirus in an effort to relieve what critics say is a shortage of testing for the virus.
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Conference The White House 29 Feb 2020
- Trump Seeks to Reassure Nation After 1st US Coronavirus Death VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump, flanked by Vice President Mike Pence and members of the administration's coronavirus task force, on Saturday sought to reassure the country as the first domestic death from the new disease was reported.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Delivers Update on Coronavirus New York State 29 Feb 2020
- Washington State Reports 1st Coronavirus Death in US VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said the United States was prepared for any circumstance arising from the coronavirus outbreak as U.S. health officials reported the first U.S. death from the virus.
- US Ups Travel Restrictions as Trump Says More Cases 'Likely' VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. is banning travel to Iran in response to the outbreak of the new coronavirus and elevating travel warnings to regions of Italy and South Korea.
- U.S. health officials predict more novel coronavirus infections in next few days People's Daily 29 Feb 2020 -- California's health officials predicted that more novel coronavirus cases will be confirmed in the coming days after dozens of health workers exposed to the possible first community spread case of COVID-19 in the United States.
- Origin of novel coronavirus still hangs in the air Global Times 29 Feb 2020 -- More efforts are needed to uncover the mysterious nature of the novel coronavirus, experts say, as more cases showing no travel history to infected areas or contact with patients have been reported in countries such as the US, further complicating the discussions about the origin of the virus.
- Joint WHO-China report gives full recognition to China's efforts Global Times 29 Feb 2020 -- An official report on Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) released jointly by the World Health Organization and China's National Health Commission identified the disease as a zoonotic virus and stated that there is no known pre-existing immunity in humans, and everyone is assumedly susceptible to infection.
- Iran says all necessary measures taken to eliminate coronavirus IRNA 29 Feb 2020 -- Head of Iran's Emergency Medical Services Pir-Hossein Kolivand said on Saturday that all the necessary and precautionary measures have been taken to overcome the deadly coronavirus.
- Iran says US has no resolve to help Iran fight epidemic, Pompeo misleading public opinion IRNA 29 Feb 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Friday that the US has no resolve to help Iran fight COVID-19 epidemic and US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's is misleading world public opinion.
- Iran's reaction to US offer of help with coronavirus fight ISNA 29 Feb 2020 -- Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Seyyed Abbas Mousavi has denounced the US government's expression of readiness for assisting Iran in the fight against the novel coronavirus as a ridiculous and hypocritical move and part of a political and psychological game.
- Iran coronavirus death toll climbs to 43 with almost 600 infected Press TV 29 Feb 2020 -- Iran says the number of the novel coronavirus cases has risen to nearly 600, with the death toll hitting 43.
- Iranian Coronavirus Death Toll Rises To 43 RFE/RL 29 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry says nine people have died from the new coronavirus in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of deaths to 43 amid 593 confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Islamic republic.
- Taiwan records first COVID-19 hospital cluster cases CNA 29 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan has confirmed five new cases of the COVID-19 coronavirus, including four who are believed to have been infected in a hospital, bringing the country's total number of cases to 39, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Saturday.
- Anti-virus Campaign in Sinuiju City KCNA 29 Feb 2020 -- Sinuiju City in North Phyongan Province of the DPRK conducts an anti-virus campaign to prevent COVID-19.
- Hygienic and Anti-Epidemic Work Brisk in Areas near Frontier and Demarcation Line KCNA 29 Feb 2020 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea is directing great efforts to preventing COVID-19 in the areas along the frontier and the demarcation line.
- Coronavirus Spreads to More Countries; WHO Raises Risk Alert to 'Very High' VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus spread to seven more countries Friday, left stock markets reeling and caused the World Health Organization to raise its impact risk alert to "very high."
- WHO Chief: Personal Hygiene Can Protect From Coronavirus Infection VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization is urging people not to give in to panic and fear about the global spread of the coronavirus epidemic, but to ward off the disease through effective personal hygiene.
- Europe Races to Ready Hospitals for Coronavirus Break Out VOA 29 Feb 2020 -- With public health experts warning a tipping point for coronavirus is getting closer, European authorities are racing to try to ready their health systems to cope with a flood of sick and highly contagious patients.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|