28 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Civil Support Team conducts CBRN training with agencies Army News 28 Feb 2020 -- Members of the Alaska National Guard's 103rd Civil Support Team participated in a joint training exercise alongside local, state, and federal partners Feb. 24-25 as part of Arctic Eagle 20.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 39 WHO 28 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 28 February 2020 WHO
- Santa Clara County Announces Positive Test for COVID-19 California Department of Public Health 28 Feb 2020
- COVID-19 Testing Kits Arrive at State Public Health Laboratories California Department of Public Health 28 Feb 2020
- Go or No Go? US Updates Travel Advisories Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- As the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues to spread across the globe and countries are reporting new confirmed cases, the United States is closely monitoring and updating travel advisories.
- Trump Faces Political Threat From Coronavirus VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Donald Trump's presidency is facing one of its biggest challenges from the spread of the new coronavirus, which threatens to infect the healthy U.S. economy.
- Whistleblower: HHS Workers Not Properly Trained to Interact with Evacuees from China VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- A prominent U.S. newspaper reports that a whistleblower claims personnel from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, lacking proper training and protective gear, interacted with American evacuees from Wuhan, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in China.
- Rush Transcript: Governor Cuomo Announces $40 Million Emergency Appropriation to Support DOH Staffing and Equipment to Respond to Potential Novel Coronavirus Pandemic New York State 28 Feb 2020
- Coronavirus, Furlough Threat Provoke Anxiety at US Bases in South Korea VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. military in South Korea, whose motto is "Ready to Fight Tonight," has been forced into battles on two nontraditional fronts: a highly contagious virus that is spreading rapidly throughout the country, and the looming threat that thousands of South Korean workers on U.S. bases could soon be furloughed because of a cost-sharing dispute with Seoul.
- Trump claims US is 'way ahead' on coronavirus response due to his actions Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- President Donald Trump has claimed that the United States is "way ahead" on coronavirus response due to his administration's actions taken to contain the disease, as US authorities face growing criticism for not doing enough to prevent a widespread outbreak of the virus.
- Concerns grow over US handling of outbreak as government seeks to silence whistle-blower People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- A whistle-blower is seeking federal protection after alleging that US federal workers lack adequate protective gear when treating coronavirus evacuees, prompting growing concern over whether the US government is taking adequate precautions against the COVID-19 outbreak.
- First COVID-19 case in U.S., with no links to China People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- U.S. public health officials are reporting the first case of COVID-19 in a person who hasn't travelled to any affected regions and has no known contact with anyone who has the virus.
- Single-digit new COVID-19 cases reported outside Hubei People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese mainland reported nine new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Thursday outside Hubei Province, epicenter of the outbreak, according to the National Health Commission.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 10th day People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients on the Chinese mainland has surpassed that of new infections for the tenth consecutive day, the National Health Commission said Friday.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 36,117 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- A total of 36,117 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Thursday, Chinese health authority said Friday.
- China reports 327 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 44 new deaths People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Friday it received reports of 327 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 44 deaths on Thursday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- China's Hubei reports 318 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 318 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 41 new deaths on Thursday, the provincial health commission said Friday.
- COVID-19 "at decisive point" as epidemic worsens outside China: WHO chief People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The chief of the World Health Organization (WHO) said Thursday that the world is at a "decisive point" to tackle the coronavirus outbreak as new cases outside China has outnumbered that inside the country.
- US sanctions more sinister than Coronavirus: Iran official IRNA 28 Feb 2020 -- Head of Presidential Office's Center for Strategic Studies Hesameddin Ashena said on Friday that the US sanction is the same background disease that makes Corona more lethal and sinister for Iranians.
- Armed forces boast of suitable capacities to counter Coronavirus IRNA 28 Feb 2020 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Amir Hatami voiced readiness for setting up mobile hospitals, producing masks and test kits, beds and isolated ambulances to counter Coronavirus, saying that armed forces have suitable capacities in this respect.
- Coronavirus death toll mounts to 34 in Iran IRNA 28 Feb 2020 -- Head of the Iran's Health Ministry's public relations office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Friday that 34 Iranians have passed away due to coronavirus.
- Iran dismisses Pompeo's 'hypocritical' claim on coronavirus response Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- Iran has dismissed a "hypocritical" claim made by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about making an offer to Tehran to help the Islamic Republic fight the new coronavirus, saying such remarks pursue political purposes and aim to distract the world public opinion.
- Iran virus death toll at 34 as minister vows containment surprises Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- A Health Ministry spokesman says eight more people have died because of coronavirus infections, taking its overall toll to 34, while 73 patients have recovered.
- Coronavirus Hits Iranian Vice President, Other Officials As Disease Continues To Spread RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- A vice president, a deputy health minister, a former envoy to the Vatican, the head of a medical university, and at least four parliament members are among the Iranian officials who have been infected with the coronavirus in recent days.
- Four Lawmakers In Iran Test Positive As Coronavirus Forces Cancellation Of Friday Prayers RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- Four Iranian lawmakers have tested positive for the coronavirus as the rapid spread of the outbreak forced the cancellation of Friday Prayers in many mosques across the country.
- United States Offers Assistance to the Iranian People US Dept. of State 28 Feb 2020 -- The United States stands with the people of Iran during the public health crisis caused by the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Boris Johnson to chair emergency Cobra meeting- first patient reported in Wales Press TV 28 Feb 2020 -- An emergency Cobra meeting of government ministers, to discuss the rapidly escalating global coronavirus crisis, has been called by Boris Johnson for Monday.
- Saudi health undersecretary announces Saudi Arabia coronavirus free SPA 28 Feb 2020 -- Speaking on the sidelines of the Arab Health Ministers 53rd session held in Cairo today, Dr. Hani bin Abdulaziz Jokhdar, Undersecretary of the Ministry of Health for Health Affirs, who leads his country's delegation to the meeting, announced that the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is coronavirus free as the health authorities have taken all prcautionary and preventive measures to block the leak of the disease into the country, describing the situation inside as stable and that Saudi inlets are strictly checking incomers to verify nobody is carrying the virus.
- WHO praised measures taken by Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to prevent spread of new Corona virus SPA 28 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization, represented by its Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean, praised the measures taken by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to tackle the new Corona virus (COVID-19) and prevent its spread.
- Saudi Press: Saudi Arabia Takes Precautionary Measures to Prevent Transmission of Novel Coronavirus Into Its Territory SPA 28 Feb 2020 -- Saudi newspapers highlighted in their editorials today a number of issues at local, regional and international arenas.
- Coronavirus COVID-19 risk increased to 'very high' but containment still possible UN News 28 Feb 2020 -- Countries must act quickly and robustly to contain the coronavirus COVID-19 epidemic, the World Health Organization said on Friday, as it raised the global risk assessment of the infection to "very high".
- 1st case of COVID-19 confirmed in New Zealand People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- The first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in New Zealand as a patient was tested to have the virus, Prime minister Jacinda Ardern said on Friday. This makes New Zealand the 48th country to have a confirmed case of the COVID-19.
- S.Korea confirms 571 more cases of COVID-19, 2,337 in total People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 571 more cases of the COVID-19 on Friday, raising the total number of infections to 2,337.
- S.Korea confirms 256 more cases of COVID-19, 2,022 in total People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 256 more cases of the COVID-19 on Friday, raising the total number of infections to 2,022.
- Nigeria's first COVID-19 case recorded in commercial hub People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Nigeria's first case of COVID-19 has been recorded in Lagos, the country's commercial hub and most populous city, the Lagos state government confirmed early Friday.
- Nigeria Health Officials Prepare for Possible Outbreak After 1st Coronavirus Case Confirmed VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Nigerian Health authorities are preparing to handle any possible outbreak and urge citizens to remain calm.
- Nigeria Registers 1st Coronavirus Case as Africa Braces for Pandemic VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Nigerian officials have confirmed a case of coronavirus in the country, the first confirmed case in sub-Saharan Africa. Africa is braced for a potential coronavirus pandemic as experts warn health systems on the continent could be overwhelmed. However, experts say the apparent delay in the virus reaching Africa has given health officials precious time to prepare.
- Taiwan confirms 2 more cases of COVID-19, bringing total to 34 CNA 28 Feb 2020 -- The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Friday reported two new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), which brings the total number in Taiwan to 34.
- Italy confirms 528 coronavirus cases as number of recoveries increases People's Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- A total of 528 coronavirus cases have been confirmed in Italy, Angelo Borrelli, chief of the Civil Protection Department and extraordinary commissioner for the coronavirus emergency, said at a press conference on Thursday.
- South Africa to Bring Home Citizens Under Coronavirus Lockdown in China VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- South African officials will soon begin to repatriate at least 132 South Africans from Wuhan, the epicenter of the global coronavirus epidemic, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced late Thursday.
- Mexico Confirms First Coronavirus Infections VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Mexican health authorities announced Friday that they had confirmed the first two cases of coronavirus in Mexico.
- UN Expert: North Korea Must Allow 'Unimpeded Access' to Help Combat Virus VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The United Nations human rights expert on North Korea is calling for Pyongyang to allow nationwide "unimpeded access" so aid organizations can help battle the coronavirus.
- Switzerland Bans Large Events to Stem Coronavirus VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- The Swiss government is taking the unprecedented step of banning all public events that have more than 1,000 people in response to a growing number of cases of coronavirus in the country.
- Estonia, Lithuania Report First Cases of Coronavirus VOA 28 Feb 2020 -- Two Baltic countries have reported their first case of coronavirus, each with mild symptoms.
- Three military-led hospitals in coronavirus-hit Wuhan increase capacity to 2,900 beds PLA Daily 28 Feb 2020 -- Three designated hospitals where military medics are tasked with treating patients of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, have increased their total capacity to around 2,900 beds.
- China's Coronavirus Crisis Hits Russian Energy Sector Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2020 -- While China's economy struggles to recover from the coronavirus epidemic, the Russian energy sector is anxiously awaiting the results.
- U.S. Says Swiss Humanitarian Channel To Iran Fully Functional RFE/RL 28 Feb 2020 -- The United States says a newly created, Swiss-based humanitarian trade channel has become fully functional to allow companies to send food, medicine, and other critical goods to Iran without violating U.S. sanctions.
- UN Approves Sanctions Exemption For WHO to Fight Coronavirus in North Korea Radio Free Asia 28 Feb 2020 -- The United Nations Security Council has approved an exemption requested by the World Health Organization (WHO) so that diagnostic and medical equipment can be transported into North Korea to assist the government in the event of a COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|