27 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- U.S. Lists Leader Of Iran-Backed Shi'ite Militia In Iraq As 'Global Terrorist' RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- The United States has declared the leader of the Iran-backed Kataib Hizbullah (KH) militant group in Iraq a terrorist following a number of recent rocket attacks on bases hosting U.S. and other foreign troops in Iraq.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 38 WHO 27 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 27 February 2020 WHO
- Remarks by President Trump, Vice President Pence, and Members of the Coronavirus Task Force in Press Conference The White House 27 Feb 2020
- Trump: US 'Totally Prepared' for Coronavirus VOA 27 Feb 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Wednesday he thinks the spread of a new coronavirus in the United States is avoidable and expressed confidence his administration is ready to respond.
- No country should make 'fatal' mistake of ignoring COVID-19: Tedros UN News 27 Feb 2020 -- All countries should do more to prevent the spread of COVID-19 coronavirus and none should make the "fatal" mistake of assuming that it won't be affected, UN health agency chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said on Thursday.
- States must respect rights of those in isolation over virus: UN Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights says countries should use quarantine against the deadly new coronavirus only when they are truly needed.
- Protecting Beijing critical in China's COVID-19 battle Global Times 27 Feb 2020 -- Beijing is facing mounting pressure in efforts to contain the novel coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) as new confirmed infections surged due to imported cases of infection and cluster outbreaks.
- Beijing sees jump in new infections, as imported infection and cluster cases bring severe challenges Global Times 27 Feb 2020 -- Beijing is facing mounting pressure in its efforts to contain the novel coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) as new confirmed infections surged due to imported infections and cluster outbreaks, while top Chinese leaders said that safeguarding the capital city is as important as combating the deadly virus in epicenter Wuhan, Central China's Hubei Province.
- Epidemic control in Beijing tops central govt's virus battle Global Times 27 Feb 2020 -- Beijing is facing mounting pressure in efforts to contain the novel coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) as new confirmed infections surged due to arrivals from abroad and cluster outbreaks.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 32,495 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- A total of 32,495 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Wednesday, Chinese health authority said Thursday.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 9th day People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- The daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients on the Chinese mainland has surpassed that of new infections for the ninth consecutive day, the National Health Commission said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports 409 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 409 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 26 new deaths on Wednesday, the provincial health commission said Thursday.
- China reports 433 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 29 new deaths People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority said Thursday it received reports of 433 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 29 deaths on Wednesday from 31 provincial-level regions on the mainland.
- Prices Soar Amid Epidemic of Coronavirus Profiteering in China Radio Free Asia 27 Feb 2020 -- Profiteering is on the rise amid the coronavirus epidemic in China, with food aid going to waste amid rising food prices in worst-hit Hubei province, RFA has learned.
- China to provide Iran with 20k coronavirus test kits, says MFA Spox IRNA 27 Feb 2020 -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said on Thursday that the Chinese government and its Red Cross society are to deliver an aid package to Iran on Friday comprising 20 thousand COVID-19 test kits.
- Coronavirus death toll mounts to 26 in Iran IRNA 27 Feb 2020 -- Head of the Iran's Health Ministry's public relations office Kianoush Jahanpour said on Thursday that the coronavirus death toll mounted to 26 in Iran out of the total figure of 245 people who have been affected by the virus.
- WHO: Iran has necessary capabilities to battle coronavirus Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- A representative of the World Health Organization (WHO) says Iran has the necessary capabilities to fight a new coronavirus outbreak, hailing Tehran's response to the epidemic.
- Iran's Defense Ministry launches production line of liquid disinfectants, hygienic masks Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Defense Ministry has launched the production line of liquid disinfectants and hygienic masks as the country steps up fight against a new coronavirus originating from China.
- Tehran Cancels Friday Prayers As Coronavirus Cases Spike RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- Friday Prayers in Tehran have been canceled over the coronavirus outbreak, state media reported, as the authorities confirmed that infected cases in the country spiked by more than 100 -- among them Masoumeh Ebtekar, the vice president for women and family affairs.
- S.Korea confirms 334 more cases of COVID-19, 1,595 in total People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 334 more cases of the COVID-19, bringing the total number of infections to 1,595 as of 9:00 a.m. local time (0000 GMT) Thursday.
- South Korea reports 13th death, 344 new coronavirus cases Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- South Korea, the country with the highest number of coronavirus infections after China, has reported its 13th fatality from the pathogen, also announcing 334 new infection cases, the largest daily increase in the country.
- US, South Korea postpone wargames over coronavirus Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- The United States has postponed its wargames with South Korea on Thursday as concerns continue to grow over the coronavirus.
- Second COVID-19 case confirmed in Sweden People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- A man in his 30s recently returning from Italy has been confirmed Wednesday as Sweden's second case of COVID-19 infection.
- Confirmed COVID-19 cases increase to 400 in Italy People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- A total of 400 people tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Italy, up by 26 from the official tally released at noon, Civil Protection chief and Extraordinary Commissioner for the Coronavirus Emergency Angelo Borrelli told a televised press conference at 6 p.m. local time (1700 GMT) on Wednesday.
- Germany reports 8 new COVID-19 cases People's Daily 27 Feb 2020 -- Eight more people were found infected with COVID-19 on Wednesday across three German states, in addition to the two diagnosed cases on Tuesday, authorities have confirmed.
- Saudi Arabia suspends Umrah pilgrimage for fear of COVID-19 Press TV 27 Feb 2020 -- Saudi Arabia says it has temporarily suspended entry for individuals aiming to perform Umrah pilgrimage or to visit the Prophet's Mosque in Medina over concerns of the spread of COVID-19, the novel coronavirus.
- Coronavirus in China Disrupts Vietnamese Manufacturers' Supply Chain Radio Free Asia 27 Feb 2020 -- Vietnam's textile and electronics industries may soon run out of raw materials because the country has temporarily cut off trade with China due to the novel coronavirus epidemic, industry figures and an economist warned Thursday.
- Coronavirus Effect on Supply Chain Will Impact 200 Factories, 160,000 Workers in Cambodia: Official Radio Free Asia 27 Feb 2020 -- At least 200 factories in Cambodia–most of which make garments–are likely to suffer supply chain disruptions associated with the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in China, leaving the jobs of up to 160,000 workers at risk, a labor official said Thursday.
- Russia's Far Eastern City Of Khabarovsk Appears Unfazed By Coronavirus Hysteria, But Look Deeper RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- Just kilometers from the border with China, ground zero of the new coronavirus spreading across the globe, the Far East Russian region of Khabarovsk shows few outward signs of being in the grip of panic.
- UN OKs Sending Anti-Virus Supplies to North Korea VOA 27 Feb 2020 -- Doctors without Borders, the international medical aid group, can now send medical supplies to North Korea where the government is on high alert in an attempt to remain free of the coronavirus, despite its proximity to China and South Korea.
- Cabinet approves NT$60 billion budget bill to cope with coronavirus CNA 27 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan's Cabinet approved a NT$60 billion (US$1.96 billion) special budget bill Thursday to mitigate the impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, two days after the nation's lawmaking body passed a bill to that end.
- COVID-19 patient frequently used public transport in greater Taipei: CECC CNA 27 Feb 2020 -- An Indonesian caregiver working in Taiwan illegally, who was confirmed as the country's 32nd COVID-19 coronavirus case Wednesday, frequently used public transport in the greater Taipei area and passed through Taipei Main Station several times from Feb. 16-24, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday, cautioning people who have visited these places to be on alert.
- Three more COVID-19 patients leave quarantine, to be discharged CNA 27 Feb 2020 -- Three of the 25 currently hospitalized COVID-19 patients in Taiwan have been released from quarantine and will soon be discharged from hospital, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- Xinjiang Authorities Sending Uyghurs to Work in China's Factories, Despite Coronavirus Risks Radio Free Asia 27 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) are sending hundreds of ethnic Uyghurs to other parts of China to work in factories affected by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), drawing criticism from observers who say the move shows "Uyghur lives don't matter" in the country.
- Romania Detects First Virus Case After Man Has Contact With Italian Visitor RFE/RL 27 Feb 2020 -- Romania's health minister has confirmed the first coronavirus infection in the southeastern Europe nation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|