24 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Leader of Guatemalan Drug Trafficking Organization Sentenced to 23 Years in Prison US Dept. of Justice 24 Feb 2020 -- A leader of a Guatemalan drug trafficking organization was sentenced today to 23 years in prison for his participation in an international drug trafficking conspiracy, announced Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Department's Criminal Division and Special Agent in Charge Wendy Woolcock of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) Special Operations Division.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 35 WHO 24 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 24 February 2020 WHO
- Press Conference of WHO-China Joint Mission on COVID-19 - 24 February 2020 WHO
- COVID-19 not yet a pandemic, says UN health agency chief UN News 24 Feb 2020 -- While a sudden increase in new cases of COVID-19 is of concern, the spread of coronavirus is not yet a pandemic, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Monday.
- WHO: Coronavirus Epidemic Is Not Yet Pandemic VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization says the coronavirus outbreak does not yet fit the criterion for a pandemic – but warns a pandemic is possible and nations should prepare.
- Rise In Coronavirus Cases In Iran, Elsewhere Triggers Pandemic Fears RFE/RL 24 Feb 2020 -- Fears of a coronavirus pandemic, or global outbreak, are growing as countries including Iran, Italy, and South Korea are battling to contain the spread of the disease that has already killed around 2,600 people in China.
- No new confirmed COVID-19 cases reported in 24 provincial-level regions of China Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- No new confirmed cases of COVID-19 were reported Sunday in 24 provincial-level regions of China, according to local health authorities Monday.
- China's thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade timely amid COVID19 Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese lawmakers agreed Monday to thoroughly ban the illegal wildlife trade and eliminate bad habits of eating wild animals in China, the decision was hailed as "timely" and demonstrates a "global impact" experts agreed.
- Wuhan revokes easing control Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Wuhan, Hubei Province, retracted an announcement only three hours after its publication that said it would ease the city's lockdown to allow certain residents to leave and those outside to enter, as the COVID-19 outbreak epicenter has been sealed off for 31 days.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 24,734 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- A total of 24,734 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Sunday, Chinese health authority said Monday.
- China reports 409 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 150 new deaths People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Monday said it received reports of 409 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 150 deaths on Sunday from 31 provincial-level regions on the mainland.
- China's Hubei reports 398 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 398 new confirmed cases of the virus infection and 149 new deaths on Sunday, Chinese health authority said Monday.
- Residents of Xinjiang's Ghulja City Going Hungry Under Coronavirus Quarantine Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- Residents of Ghulja (in Chinese, Yining), in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), are going hungry under a quarantine meant to stem the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), according to local sources, while officials are demanding payment in advance to bring them goods.
- Latest on coronavirus: China reports 150 more deaths, cases spike globally Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- China has confirmed 150 more deaths from the novel coronavirus and more than 400 new cases as a spike in the number of infections in South Korea, Italy and Iran adds to fears of a pandemic around the world.
- Rising COVID-19 cases in South Korea scare away shoppers, tourists from China Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- The deteriorating epidemic situation in South Korea has scared away shoppers and tourists and worried Chinese students after the country reported 833 confirmed cases of coronavirus infection and eight deaths as of Monday night.
- S.Korea confirms 231 more cases of COVID-19, 833 in total People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed 231 more cases of the COVID-19 on Monday, raising the total number of infections to 833.
- Tajikistan Suspends Flights To Iran Over Coronavirus RFE/RL 24 Feb 2020 -- DUSHANBE -- Tajikistan has suspended all air flights to Iran as many countries in the region scramble to take precautions after Tehran announced the highest death toll from the coronavirus outside of China.
- Coronavirus Cover-Up? Iranian Officials Deny That Qom Death Toll At 50 RFE/RL 24 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry has dismissed a claim by a lawmaker from Qom that the death toll from the disease in the holy Shi'ite city is about four times higher than the official number and that the government is covering up the extent of the disease's spread in Iran.
- Iran says border closure with neighboring countries temporary amid virus spread Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- The spokesman for Iran's Foreign Ministry says closure of the country's borders with some neighboring states over a coronavirus outbreak is only a temporary measure and a result of the current emergency conditions.
- Health ministry: Coronavirus death toll reaches 12 in Iran Press TV 24 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry says the death toll from the coronavirus outbreak in the country has reached 12, while the number of confirmed infections stands at 64.
- FM spox: Closure of borders temporary IRNA 24 Feb 2020 -- Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Abbas Mousavi on Monday said that the countries' borders with some neighboring states are temporarily closed, and called for collective measures to combat coronavirus.
- Lawmaker: Coronavirus kills 12, affects 47 in Iran IRNA 24 Feb 2020 -- Spokesman of the Iranian Parliament presiding board Asadollah Abbasi said some 47 Iranians have been affected by coronavirus of whom 12 have lost their lives.
- 12 die in Iran over COVID-19: minister People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Death toll over infection of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) has risen to 12 in Iran, Iran's Minister of Health and Medical Education Saeed Namaki announced on Monday.
- Some Signs of Panic as Coronavirus Appears to Spread from Iran to Neighboring States VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- Iran's health ministry says 60 people have been infected by the coronavirus and that 12 people have died, so far, with the holy city of Qom being the hardest hit part of the country. Panic over the virus appears to be spreading to Iran's neighbors, as well, with cases being reported in Iraq, Kuwait, Bahrain and Lebanon.
- Cambodia to Cut Taxes For Industries Strained by Coronavirus, Suspension of Trade Scheme Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- Cambodia's Prime Minister Hun Sen on Monday pledged to cut taxes for up to a year for garment producers impacted by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic and facing new tariffs after the European Union suspended preferential trade status for the country citing rights violations.
- Trump: Coronavirus Threat Remains 'Very Much Under Control' Across United States Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- The announcement comes as new coronavirus cases have resulted in the US stocks falling over 1,000 points, fuelling fears that the outbreak could curb global economic growth.
- Two Cases of Coronavirus Reported in Oman Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- This comes after several countries closed their borders with Iran following the announcement that eight people had died from the new infection in the city of Qom.
- Iraq Reports First Coronavirus Case in Student From Iran Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- Iraq's Ministry of Health and Environment announced Monday the first case of coronavirus in the country which was detected in an Iranian student who had recently arrived from the neighbouring country.
- Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Surpasse 200 in Italy VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- The death toll in Italy from the coronavirus outbreak stands at seven with more than 200 cases confirmed. At least 10 towns in the north are in lockdown mode and the army is ensuring no one enters of leaves them during a quarantine period.
- Afghanistan's First Case of Coronavirus Confirmed VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- Officials in Afghanistan said Monday a patient who recently visited neighboring Iran has tested positive for the coronavirus and is in isolation in a hospital in the western border province of Herat.
- Travelers from South Korea to be subjected to 14-day quarantine CNA 24 Feb 2020 -- All travelers entering Taiwan from South Korea will have to be quarantined for 14 days starting this week because of a sharp escalation of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak there, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Monday.
- Two more COVID-19 cases reported, bringing Taiwan total to 30 CNA 24 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan reported two more confirmed cases of COVID-19 coronavirus Monday, bringing the number in the country to 30 since the outbreak began, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- Taiwan amends travel ban on medical personnel CNA 24 Feb 2020 -- A ban on overseas travel placed on Taiwan's frontline medical personnel will only apply to those regions where the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak is most serious, a Ministry of Health and Welfare official said Monday.
- Chinese Parliament Delays Annual Meeting Over Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 24 Feb 2020 -- China is the epicentre of the novel strain of pneumonia-like virus, known as SARS-CoV-2. The country has put extensive travel restrictions in place to curb the spread of the virus; Monday's move is the first time the parliamentary session has been delayed in decades.
- China's top legislature approves postponement of annual legislative session, thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- China's top legislature approves postponement of annual legislative session, thorough ban on illegal wildlife trade
- China Postpones Annual Parliament As Coronavirus Spreads in Beijing Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party on Monday said an annual meeting of the country's rubber-stamp parliament would be postponed amid the ongoing coronavirus epidemic, which has now seen nearly 80,000 cases confirmed globally, along with more than 2,500 deaths.
- Xi stresses unremitting efforts in COVID-19 control, coordination on economic, social development People's Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Sunday stressed unremitting efforts in the prevention and control of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic and coordination in advancing economic and social development.
- Party Propaganda Machine Wants 'Heartwarming' Tales From Virus-Hit Central China Radio Free Asia 24 Feb 2020 -- The ruling Chinese Communist Party is cracking down on earlier signs of original news reporting coming out of Wuhan, the central Chinese city worst-hit by the coronavirus epidemic, replacing frontline video on social media with government-approved narratives about brave "heroes" on the front line.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 6th consecutive day Global Times 24 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for the sixth consecutive day, according to the National Health Commission Monday.
- Xi urges solid, meticulous epidemic prevention, control PLA Daily 24 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping Sunday called for firm, solid and meticulous efforts in the prevention and control of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic.
- South Korea Announces New Coronavirus Cases VOA 24 Feb 2020 -- South Korea announced Monday 161 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the total cases to 763. Officials also confirmed two more deaths, bringing its death toll to seven.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|