21 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Global Terrorism Finance Watchdog Blacklists Iran, Grants Reprieve To Pakistan RFE/RL 21 Feb 2020 -- A global financial watchdog has blacklisted Iran for failing to take measures against money laundering and the financing of terrorist groups.
- Anti-Terror Agency Keeps Pakistan on 'Gray List' VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- A global agency leading the fight against the financing of terrorism and money laundering has kept Pakistan on its "gray list" of nations with inadequate mechanisms to curb funding sources to terrorist groups.
- Zarif briefs reporters on FATF meeting IRNA 21 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif on Friday briefed the reporters on an ongoing plenary meeting of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF).
- Iran slams FATF's politically-motivated move to place Iran on terrorism financing blacklist Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Iran says the move by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) to place the country on its blacklist was a politically-motivated decision, emphasizing that the Islamic Republic can never be labeled with money laundering and financing of terrorism.
- United States Commends FATF for Re-imposition of Countermeasures on Iran US Dept. of State 21 Feb 2020
- Financial Action Task Force (FATF) Calls for Countermeasures on Iran, Evaluates U.S. AML Framework, Releases Digital Identity Guidance US Treasury 21 Feb 2020 -- Today the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) concluded its 31st plenary meeting with a public statement calling for countermeasures on Iran. The FATF also released guidance on digital identity for customer identification and verification, and evaluated Treasury's Customer Due Diligence rule for compliance with the FATF standards.
- Cyberthefts Help North Korea Offset Revenue Lost to Sanctions VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- North Korea made up nearly $2 billion of revenue it lost from sanctions by conducting cyberthefts from financial institutions and cryptocurrency exchanges, an expert said.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 32 WHO 21 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 21 February 2020 WHO
- Conronavirus Disrupts China-Backed Infrastructure Projects in Indonesia Radio Free Asia 21 Feb 2020 -- At least two China-backed infrastructure projects in Indonesia have been disrupted because of travel bans and shipments suspended because of the coronavirus outbreak, project managers said, while employees at an industrial park have been cleared to work after being quarantined.
- Coronavirus Rips Through Chinese Prisons With Hundreds of Cases Reported Radio Free Asia 21 Feb 2020 -- Hundreds of inmates in prisons in the central and eastern China have been infected with the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), according to the country's health authorities.
- Charter plane carrying quarantined Taiwanese arrives late Friday CNA 21 Feb 2020 -- A China Airlines charter plane carrying 19 Taiwan nationals from the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship arrived in Taiwan from Japan late Friday.
- Uncertain origin of Taiwan's 24th COVID-19 case perplexes experts CNA 21 Feb 2020 -- Taiwanese medical authorities are increasingly perplexed by the country's 24th novel coronavirus (COVID-19) case -- a woman in her 60s from northern Taiwan, with no recent history of travel abroad and an unknown source of infection.
- Two more COVID-19 cases confirmed in Taiwan, bringing total to 26 CNA 21 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan on Friday confirmed two more COVID-19 cases as part of a family cluster infection, bringing the total to 26 across the country.
- Iran receives 4th consignment of coronavirus test kits IRNA 21 Feb 2020 -- Iranian Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education announced that with the efforts made by the representative of the World Health Organization in Iran Christoph Hamelmann the 4th shipment of coronavirus test kits have been delivered to Iran.
- Iran's Sudden Spread Of Coronavirus Leads To Distrust In State's Handling Of The Disease RFE/RL 21 Feb 2020 -- Iranian officials have reacted to an outbreak of the coronavirus by announcing emergency measures amid public distrust over the government's handling of the disease and concern that the number of infections is much higher than reported.
- Iran confirms two new deaths, 13 more coronavirus cases Press TV 21 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry has confirmed two more deaths among 13 new cases of coronavirus, putting the total number of deaths so far in the country at four.
- North Korean Hospital Cremates 12 Bodies, Denies Deaths Were Coronavirus Related Radio Free Asia 21 Feb 2020 -- A North Korean hospital's hasty cremation of a dozen patients it said had died of the flu and not of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), has raised fears and suspicions among the public living near the hospital, RFA has learned.
- Four More Americans Test Positive for Coronavirus After Evacuation From Cruise Ship VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- A top U.S. health official on Friday confirmed four more coronavirus cases among Americans who were evacuated from a cruise ship in Japan and brought to the United States.
- Jitters in South Korea as Coronavirus Cases Double for 3 Straight Days VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- South Korea's capital banned large protests and prohibited gatherings of a religious group that has been a hotbed for coronavirus infections, as the outbreak continued to spread across the country.
- Kenya Rules Out Evacuating Citizens from Epicenter of Coronavirus VOA 21 Feb 2020 -- Kenya's government said that its citizens stranded in Wuhan city – the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak – are safer staying where they are.
- 227 new COVID-19 cases revealed in two prisons in China Global Times 21 Feb 2020 -- Prison officials in Zhejiang and Shandong have been removed from their posts for failures in novel coronavirus pneumonia prevention and control tasks, which saw a total of 227 new confirmed cases reported in two Chinese prisons on Thursday and ended the 16-day consecutive drop of the number of new confirmed cases in the Chinese mainland outside the epicenter Hubei Province.
- Wuhan designates hospitals for non-COVID-19 patients Global Times 21 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan officials have urged hospitals to spare medical resources when caring and treating patients suffering from other conditions amid the city's fight against COVID-19.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients outnumber new infections for 3rd consecutive day People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for a third consecutive day, according to the National Health Commission Friday.
- Chinese mainland fully supports Hong Kong's fight against novel coronavirus: director of liaison office People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- The Chinese mainland fully supports the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) in fighting the novel coronavirus, the Director of the Liaison Office of the Central People's Government in the HKSAR Luo Huining said on Thursday.
- China makes progress in virus outbreak center despite challenges People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- China has achieved some positive results in the fight against the novel coronavirus in Wuhan and Hubei Province at large, although there are still some challenges, officials said Thursday.
- China's Hubei reports 411 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 411 new confirmed cases and 115 new deaths Thursday, according to the provincial health commission Friday.
- China reports 889 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 118 new deaths People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Friday said it received reports of 889 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 118 deaths on Thursday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 18,264 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 21 Feb 2020 -- A total of 18,264 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Thursday, Chinese health authority said Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|