20 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- White House Releases National Drug Interdiction Plan, Border Strategies The White House 20 Feb 2020 -- Today, White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) Director Jim Carroll released the National Interdiction Command and Control Plan (NICCP), which outlines the Trump Administration's interdiction strategy to reduce the availability of illicit drugs in the United States.
- Reserve Soldiers training to save lives from chemical disasters Army News 20 Feb 2020 -- As the sun rises over the CENTCOM area of operations, U.S. Army Reserve Soldiers receive an exercise mission brief from Christian Miles, Area Support Group - Kuwait Fire Department assistant chief of training.
- DEA Announces Launch of Operation Crystal Shield US Dept. of Justice 20 Feb 2020 -- Efforts will Focus on Main U.S. Methamphetamine Trafficking Transportation Hubs
- Tbilisi And Washington Blame Russia For October Cyberattack On Georgian Websites RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Georgia and the United States have blamed Russia for a massive coordinated cyberattack that took thousands of Georgian websites offline in October.
- The United States Condemns Russian Cyber Attack Against the Country of Georgia US Dept. of State 20 Feb 2020 -- On October 28, 2019, the Russian General Staff Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU) Main Center for Special Technologies (GTsST, also known as Unit 74455 and Sandworm) carried out a widespread disruptive cyber attack against the country of Georgia.
- UK condemns Russia's GRU over Georgia cyber-attacks UK FCO 20 Feb 2020 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab calls out Russia's campaign of unacceptable cyber-attacks against Georgia.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 31 WHO 20 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 20 February 2020 WHO
- CECC confirms source of virus infection that caused death of driver CNA 20 Feb 2020 -- A Taiwanese businessman who recently returned from Zhejiang Province in China has been confirmed as the source of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) that caused the death of a 61-year-old limousine service driver from central Taiwan, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- COVID-19 outbreak gradually brought under control in epicenter: spokesperson Global Times 20 Feb 2020 -- The COVID-19 epidemic in Hubei Province, the center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, has been gradually brought under control, according to an official with the National Health Commission.
- Whopping rise in infection at Beijing hospital puts capital on alert Global Times 20 Feb 2020 -- A central Beijing hospital reported 36 novel coronavirus cases as of Thursday, a sharp increase from nine cases from two weeks earlier, leading many to fear a potential explosion of infection numbers in the capital.
- WHO team in China to find answers to unknowns about COVID-19 People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday that a WHO team of experts is currently in China to find answers to some unknowns of COVID-19.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 16,155 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- A total of 16,155 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Wednesday, Chinese health authority said Thursday.
- 106 Hong Kong residents aboard virus-hit cruise brought home by chartered flight People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- The first chartered flight arranged by the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) government arrived in Hong Kong on Thursday morning, bringing 106 Hong Kong residents stranded on the novel coronavirus-inflicted Diamond Princess cruise ship back from Japan.
- China's Hubei reports 349 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 349 new confirmed cases and 108 new deaths Wednesday, according to the provincial health commission Thursday.
- China's newly recovered coronavirus patients continue to outnumber new infections People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly cured and discharged novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for a second consecutive day, according to the National Health Commission Thursday.
- 32,395 medical workers sent to COVID-19 outbreak epicenter province People's Daily 20 Feb 2020 -- As of Wednesday, a total of 32,395 medical workers have been sent to Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, to join in the battle against the virus.
- China reports drop in new virus infections despite fatality increase Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- Figures show a big drop in new coronavirus cases in mainland China, even as deaths from the infectious epidemic increase to 2,118 people.
- China's Medical Personnel Hard Hit by Coronavirus Amid Citywide Lockdowns Radio Free Asia 20 Feb 2020 -- Deaths and infections among healthcare professionals in China continue to be a concern in the coronavirus epidemic, especially in the worst-hit central province of Hubei and its capital Wuhan.
- Hong Kong Rice, Toilet Paper Shortages Sparked by Unverified Information Radio Free Asia 20 Feb 2020 -- Fake news, rumors, and misinformation have triggered recent panic-buying in Hong Kong, as the coronavirus epidemic in mainland China leaves the city's seven million residents struggling to find basic supplies.
- Cabinet passes draft law to cope with coronavirus impact CNA 20 Feb 2020 -- The Cabinet approved Thursday a draft bill aimed at mitigating the impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak, which includes measures to compensate medical personnel, those required to undergo quarantine and hard-hit local sectors.
- Taiwan reports new coronavirus case with unknown origin CNA 20 Feb 2020 -- A woman in Taiwan with no history of overseas travel over the past two years has been infected with COVID-19 coronavirus, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) reported late Wednesday.
- Taiwan issues travel alert for South Korea as coronavirus cases soar CNA 20 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Thursday issued a basic Level 1 travel alert for South Korea, advising travelers from Taiwan to exercise normal precautions while in the country, in light of a spike in novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases there.
- Iran announces 3 new coronavirus cases, including doctor Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- Iran has confirmed three new cases of coronavirus with a main center of the outbreak still being the central city of Qom where two people died on Wednesday.
- Iran forms task force to fight coronavirus after two deaths reported in central city Press TV 20 Feb 2020 -- The spokesman for the Iranian administration says the country has formed a special task force to battle coronavirus, which emerged in China late last year and has claimed two lives in the Islamic Republic so far.
- Two patients suspected of coronavirus quarantined in northern Iran IRNA 20 Feb 2020 -- Two patients suspected of contamination with coronavirus were quarantined in northern Iranian city of Babol, Health official with University of Medical Education in Babol Mostafa Javanian said on Thursday.
- Spokesman says Government opens counter-coronavirus HQ IRNA 20 Feb 2020 -- Government spokesman announced on Thursday that a headquarters has been set up to take due measures to counter the outbreak of coronavirus.
- Majlis speaker calls for immediate measures to counter coronavirus IRNA 20 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Majlis (Parliament) Speaker Ali Larijani on Thursday called for immediate measures to counter outbreak of coronavirus after two cases were confirmed in Qom, 140 km south of the Iranian capital.
- Iran Reports 3 New Cases Of Coronavirus After 2 Deaths In Same City RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Iran said on February 20 that three more people have tested positive for a new coronavirus in the holy Shi'ite city of Qom, where two people the previous day had died of the illness caused by the virus.
- Iraqi, Kuwait Restrict Entry Of Iranian Citizens Amid Virus Fears RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Iraq and Kuwait have temporarily restricted the entry of Iranians into their country in an effort to stem the outbreak of the deadly coronavirus following Iran's announcement that two people there had died from the disease.
- Authorities In Kazakhstan Agree To Move Coronavirus Quarantine Center RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in the East Kazakhstan region have agreed to move a coronavirus quarantine center from a village in the Zaisan district bordering China to the regional capital following protests by residents.
- Moscow Bus Drivers Told To Report Suspected Chinese Passengers, Amid Coronavirus Fears RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- A public transport worker in Moscow has told RFE/RL that all drivers of buses, trams, and trolley buses in the Russian capital have been instructed to stop their vehicles and make all passengers disembark if they suspect any of their passengers are from China.
- Violence Greets Wuhan Evacuees Upon Arrival In Ukrainian Town RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- Violence erupted as the first group of Ukrainians evacuated from the Chinese city of Wuhan - the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak - arrived the city of Novi Sanzhary in the eastern region of Poltava.
- Plane Carrying Ukrainians Arrives From China's Wuhan Amid Protests RFE/RL 20 Feb 2020 -- A plane carrying the first group of Ukrainians evacuated from China's Wuhan, the city at the epicenter of the deadly new coronavirus outbreak, has landed in Ukraine amid protests by residents of the eastern city of Kharkiv, where a quarantine center has been set up.
- South Korea Reports 1st Coronavirus Death as Outbreak Enters 'New Phase' VOA 20 Feb 2020 -- South Korea confirmed its first death from the new coronavirus, local media reported Thursday, as the number of infections in the country tripled within two days.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|