19 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 30 WHO 19 February 2020
- Wuhan to finalize task of screening virus patients Global Times 19 Feb 2020 -- It has become the most urgent task for the epicenter of the highly contagious virus that has caused over 70,000 infections nationwide to adopt the strictest measures to contain the virus spread, given the actual numbers of infections remain unknown and mandatory self-quarantine policies are considered less efficient, which had not completely stopped human-to-human transmission. Delayed reaction and slow response at early stage of the outbreak also made the task even more challenging now.
- Another head of Wuhan hospital in severe condition with coronavirus infection Global Times 19 Feb 2020 -- Wang Ping, director of the Eighth Hospital of Wuhan, has been confirmed as being infected with coronavirus and is in critical condition in Jinyintan hospital, according to media reports.
- COVID-19 can transmit by aerosol, health authorities confirm Global Times 19 Feb 2020 -- The novel coronavirus can spread through aerosol transmission if a person is exposed to an enclosed environment with a high concentration of aerosol for a long time, China's top health body said, revising a previous assessment that said such transmission routes were yet to be confirmed.
- Singapore's anti-virus measures lessons for Chinese metropolises Global Times 19 Feb 2020 -- Amid a scramble by Chinese local governments to fight the COVID-19, observers said viral containment measures adopted by Singapore, a city state with the second highest confirmed cases outside of China, such as rapid response mechanisms, government transparency and comprehensive monitoring can be used as reference by Chinese metropolises.
- Xi says China's battle against COVID-19 making visible progress People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- China's measures to prevent and control the COVID-19 epidemic are achieving visible progress as the battle has reached a crucial time, Chinese President Xi Jinping said in a phone conversation with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Tuesday.
- WHO's decision to not raise risk assessment on coronavirus totally based on science, facts People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- The novel coronavirus epidemic is not a pandemic, and the World Trade Organization (WHO) will not raise its risk assessment in the global context, said the UN health body at a Monday press conference held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO chief mourns death of Chinese doctor in fight against COVID-19 outbreak People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Tuesday mourned the death of a Chinese hospital chief who died of novel coronavirus earlier in the day in Wuhan, the epicenter of the current COVID-19 outbreak.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 14,376 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- A total of 14,376 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Tuesday, Chinese health authority said Wednesday.
- New infections of novel coronavirus drop for 15th consecutive day outside Hubei People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- China's daily new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus pneumonia outside Hubei, the epicenter province of the outbreak, have dropped for 15 consecutive days, according to the National Health Commission Wednesday.
- China sees more newly recovered coronavirus patients than new infections for 1st time People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- China's daily number of newly recovered novel coronavirus patients has surpassed that of new confirmed infections for the first time, according to the National Health Commission.
- China reports 1,749 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 136 new deaths People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Wednesday said it received reports of 1,749 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 136 deaths on Tuesday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- China's Hubei reports 1,693 new coronavirus cases People's Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 1,693 new confirmed cases and 132 new deaths Tuesday, according to the provincial health commission Wednesday.
- Two more military-led hospitals put into use in virus-hit Wuhan PLA Daily 19 Feb 2020 -- Medical staff from Taikang Tongji Hospital in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province, disinfect an ambulance transferring patients infected with the novel coronavirus on Feb 19, 2020. [Photo/Xinhua]
- China coronavirus fatalities pass 2,000 as infection cases decline Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- The death toll from the coronavirus epidemic in mainland China has surpassed the 2,000 mark, despite a decline in new infection cases for the second straight day amid stricter containment measures by local authorities in the hardest-hit city of Wuhan.
- Patients in China's Wuhan Struggle to Get Treatment Amid Tight Controls Radio Free Asia 19 Feb 2020 -- Patients in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the heart of the coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic say they are still struggling to get crucial medical care, as access to hospitals is being controlled by local officials.
- Family of Four Likely the First Cases of Uyghurs Contracting Coronavirus in XUAR Radio Free Asia 19 Feb 2020 -- Social media accounts in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR) said Wednesday that four members of a Uyghur family had contracted the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), in what would be the first confirmed cases of the virus among the region's Uyghur ethnic minority.
- Infections Continue to Climb in Sichuan's Tawu County Radio Free Asia 19 Feb 2020 -- Confirmed cases of coronavirus infection in Sichuan's Tawu county are continuing to climb, with three new cases reported on Wednesday bringing the total to 60, all of them ethnic Tibetans, sources in the region say.
- Study Confirms Ebola Drug's Potential to Prevent, Treat Coronavirus VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- An American biotech company says it is working with Chinese authorities to determine whether the antiviral drug remdesivir may provide an effective treatment for victims of the fast-spreading coronavirus known as COVID-19. The Chinese researchers hope to have the answer by May 1.
- One more confirmed coronavirus case reported in Taiwan CNA 19 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan reported one more confirmed case of COVID-19 coronavirus Wednesday, bringing the number in the country to 23 since the outbreak began, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said that day.
- One more Taiwanese on cruise liner confirmed with coronavirus CNA 19 Feb 2020 -- One more Taiwanese national aboard the virus-hit Diamond Princess cruise liner moored in Yokohama Harbor in Japan was confirmed as having been infected with COVID-19 coronavirus, Deputy Minister of Health and Welfare Ho Chi-kung (何啟功) said on Wednesday.
- Gov't spox urges people to get news on coronavirus through Health Ministry IRNA 19 Feb 2020 -- Iranian Government spokesman Ali Rabiei urged Iranians to receive news on coronavirus epidemic through Ministry of Health, Treatment and Medical Education.
- 2 positive cases of coronavirus confirmed in Iran ISNA 19 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Health Ministry has confirmed two cases of coronavirus, the first in the country.
- Two old men die in Iran after testing positive for coronavirus Press TV 19 Feb 2020 -- Health authorities in the central Iranian city of Qom have confirmed two deaths as a result of a first incidence of coronavirus in the country.
- Iran Reports First Two Cases Of New Coronavirus RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- Iranian authorities have confirmed two cases of the new COVID-19 coronavirus, the first in the country, the semiofficial ISNA news agency reported on February 19.
- Ukrainian Evacuation Flight Lands In China; Kyiv Not Naming Quarantine Site RFE/RL 19 Feb 2020 -- A plane chartered by the Ukrainian government has landed in China to evacuate 87 people, including 48 citizens, from the city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the new coronavirus outbreak, said Oleksiy Danilov, Ukraine's national security chief.
- Quarantined Passengers Leave Coronavirus-Hit Ship VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- Hundreds of passengers have begun leaving the cruise ship that has been quarantined for two weeks at a Japanese port in a futile attempt to curb the spread of the new coronavirus that has claimed the lives of over 2,000 people in mainland China.
- 15 New Coronavirus Cases in S. Korea, As Epidemic Threatens Economy VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- South Korea reported 15 new cases of the coronavirus Wednesday, intensifying concerns of an outbreak following a lull in reported South Korean infections.
- Strained Political Relations Strand Nearly 1,000 Taiwanese in China's Coronavirus Outbreak Zone VOA 19 Feb 2020 -- Liu Ruo-yu of Taipei flew to her old homeland, China, last month for an overdue family visit and is now literally blocked from leaving her parents' apartment. The Chinese government has shut off entries and exits into their city bordering Wuhan to stop the spread of a deadly coronavirus that originated there.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|