18 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- NCWDG Celebrates Opening of Cyber Foundry NNS 18 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. Navy Cyber Warfare Development Group (NCWDG) celebrated the opening of the Cyber Foundry with a ribbon cutting ceremony Feb. 18.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 29 WHO 18 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 18 February 2020 WHO
- 'Working night and day', UN health agency seeks to prevent global coronavirus crisis UN News 18 Feb 2020 -- As COVID-19, also known as coronavirus, continues to spread, the head of the United Nations health agency said that there is still a chance to prevent a broader global crisis.
- Hospital Director in China's Wuhan Dies of Coronavirus: State TV Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- The director of a hospital in the central Chinese city of Wuhan has reportedly died of coronavirus, state media reported on Tuesday, as the number of deaths from COVID-19 neared 2,000.
- Coronavirus Infections Jump to 57 in Sichuan's Tawu County Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Confirmed cases of coronavirus infection in Sichuan's Tawu county have now climbed to 57, with seven new cases reported on Feb. 16 and five reported on Feb. 17, according to official Chinese health department reports.
- Coronavirus Death Toll Near 1,900 VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health officials reported Tuesday the number of confirmed cases from a coronavirus outbreak has surpassed 72,000, with the death toll rising to nearly 1,900.
- China reports 1,886 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infection, 98 new deaths People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authority Tuesday said it received reports of 1,886 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 98 deaths on Monday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- WHO commends steps taken by Sri Lankan authorities to control COVID-19 People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Representative in Sri Lanka Dr. Razia Pendse has commended Sri Lanka at the way it has controlled a possible outbreak of COVID-19 in the island country, local media reported Tuesday.
- Number of infections on cruise rises to 454 People's Daily 18 Feb 2020 -- The Japanese government confirmed on Monday 99 more people on board the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise liner were infected with novel coronavirus pneumonia, bringing the total to 454.
- Cruise ship evacuees must return via government charter flight: CECC CNA 18 Feb 2020 -- The 24 Taiwan nationals aboard the Diamond Princess, a cruise ship quarantined in Japan's Yokohama Harbor amid COVID-19 coronavirus fears, will have to take a government chartered flight and undergo quarantine if they want to return to Taiwan, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Hong Kong 'At Risk' From Community Coronavirus Outbreak, Medical Experts Warn Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Hong Kong are stepping up coronavirus surveillance measures as experts warn the city is at high risk of infections spreading within the local community.
- Taiwanese evacuees from Wuhan released from quarantine CNA 18 Feb 2020 -- All but one of the 247 Taiwanese who were evacuated from Wuhan two weeks ago as the coronavirus epidemic gripped the city were released from quarantine Tuesday after they were cleared of possible infection.
- Makeshift hospital delivered in northwest China city amid coronavirus battle Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- A makeshift hospital was delivered Monday in a major northwestern Chinese city amid the fight against the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak.
- Human transmissions in Wuhan haven't stopped: top health adviser Global Times 18 Feb 2020 -- Human-to-human transmissions have not stopped in Wuhan, Zhong Nanshan, the central government's top medical adviser, warned while epidemic-stricken Hubei Province faces a critical time in fighting the COVID-19 epidemic.
- Ukraine Sending Plane To Evacuate Citizens From China As Virus Deaths Exceed 1,800 RFE/RL 18 Feb 2020 -- After a week of delay, Ukraine on February 18 plans to send a plane to China and evacuate 49 citizens and 25 foreign nationals, Health Minister Viktor Lyashko announced the previous day.
- Wuhan Hospital Director Dies Due to Coronavirus Infection - Reports Sputnik 18 Feb 2020 -- The news comes after the death of another medic earlier this month, ophthalmologist Li Wenliang, who had warned the public about the disease back in December when it had just broken out.
- N. Korea Says Still No Coronavirus Cases, but Appeals for International Help VOA 18 Feb 2020 -- North Korea continues to insist there are no coronavirus infections within its borders, even as the impoverished country appeals to international aid organizations for help in preventing an outbreak of the disease.
- North Korean Police Threaten to Execute Smugglers as Coronavirus Epidemic Continues in China Radio Free Asia 18 Feb 2020 -- Police in North Korea earlier this month issued a decree that warns of stronger punishments for smugglers–including the death penalty-- amid the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic in China and several of its immediate neighbors, RFA has learned.
- Russia Temporarily Bans Chinese Citizens From Entry Amid Virus Fears RFE/RL 18 Feb 2020 -- Russia says it will temporarily block Chinese citizens from entering its territory as authorities look to stem the spread of the deadly coronavirus outbreak.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|