13 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Message to the Congress on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Southern Border of the United States The White House 13 Feb 2020
- Text of a Notice on the Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to the Southern Border of the United States The White House 13 Feb 2020
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 24 WHO 13 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 13 February 2020 WHO
- 'Clinically diagnosed cases' included in outbreak center Hubei to effectively fix a loophole in COVID-19 spread Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, began to include the number of clinically diagnosed cases in its daily updated report for the first time on Thursday.
- Shanghai authorities debunk latest rumors on coronavirus outbreak Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Refuting misinformation is an essential part of the fight against the novel coronavirus pneumonia (CODIV-19) as some misleading information, to some extent, can trigger panic among the public during the time of this crisis.
- Sharp increase in daily deaths in Hubei a result of adjustment in diagnostic criteria: experts Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, recorded a sharp increase in the number of both newly confirmed cases and deaths on Wednesday after the number of clinically diagnosed cases was included in the total.
- PLA sends 2,600 medical staff to fight coronavirus in Wuhan Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- On the approval of President Xi Jinping, who is also the Chairman of the Communist Party of China's Central Military Commission, Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) sends an additional 2,600 medical personnel to support the fight against the coronavirus outbreak in Wuhan.
- Hubei reports jump in new COVID-19 cases after diagnosis criteria loosened People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- Hubei Province, center of the novel coronavirus outbreak, reported 14,840 new confirmed cases and 242 new deaths Wednesday, the highest daily increases so far, after the diagnosis criteria for confirmed COVID-19 cases were further loosened for timely treatment of more patients.
- Makeshift hospital in Wuhan at full capacity to treat coronavirus-infected patients People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- More than 1,000 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been admitted to a makeshift hospital in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, as of the end of Wednesday.
- Beijing reactivates idle mask factories for anti-virus fight People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- Beijing has activated three mask factories that have been obsolete for years to meet the huge demand of masks nationwide amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.
- Wuhan increases designated hospitals for COVID-19 patients People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- The number of designated hospitals has increased to more than 40 in Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, local authorities said.
- China regulates air conditioning use in public places amid virus outbreak People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- China has released a guideline to regulate the use of air-conditioning and ventilation systems in offices and public places amid an effort to contain the novel coronavirus.
- Virus Cases Spike as China Removes Hubei Officials Linked to Epidemic Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- China said it had seen a rise in coronavirus cases of more than 15,000 after officials changed reporting criteria in the worst-hit province of Hubei, of which Wuhan is the capital.
- Coronavirus Affects China-backed Projects in Bangladesh Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus outbreak could impede the construction of Beijing-backed infrastructure projects across Bangladesh, officials said, amid reports that thousands of Chinese working on them have been stranded in China as a result, after going home for Lunar New Year festivities.
- China Reports Nearly Half a Million People Have Had Close Contact with Coronavirus Patients VOA 13 Feb 2020 -- China's National Health Commission reported this week that nearly half a million Chinese citizens have had close contact with individuals with confirmed diagnoses of the novel coronavirus that originated in the central city of Wuhan.
- China reshuffles top officials in coronavirus epicenter Hubei Province Global Times 13 Feb 2020 -- China has reshuffled top officials in Central China's Hubei Province, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) outbreak, by appointing a new Party chief to both the province and the capital city Wuhan, with both having a background in legal affairs for years and considered "firefighters," and decisive in dealing with public health crises.
- China Reports Huge Spike in New Coronavirus Cases, 254 More Deaths VOA 13 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in the central Chinese province of Hubei say 254 more more have died from the new coronavirus and they announced a huge increase in the number of cases.
- NT$60 billion bailout plan laid out to cope with virus impact CNA 13 Feb 2020 -- In a bid to tackle the potential impact of the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak on the domestic economy, the Executive Yuan announced Thursday a NT$60 billion (US$2 billion) bailout plan to help hard-hit local sectors.
- Taiwan government extends requisitioning of masks, ban on exports CNA 13 Feb 2020 -- The Taiwan government said Thursday that it will continue to requisition all domestically produced surgical masks and maintain its ban on their export until the end of April.
- Taipei government mulling quarantine shelters for foreign visitors CNA 13 Feb 2020 -- Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) said Wednesday the city government is considering designating shelters in which foreign visitors could be quarantined, if necessary, as part of the efforts to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- 40 new cases of novel coronavirus confirmed on ship quarantined near Tokyo People's Daily 13 Feb 2020 -- An additional 40 people on a cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, bringing the total of onboard infections to 174, Japanese authorities said Wednesday.
- Vietnam Quarantines Entire Commune of 10,000 on Coronavirus Fears Radio Free Asia 13 Feb 2020 -- Authorities in Vietnam have closed off a community of more than 10,000 people near the capital, Hanoi, for the next 20 days on fears that coronavirus (COVID-19) could spread there.
- Turkmenistan's Confused Handling Of The Coronavirus Crisis RFE/RL 13 Feb 2020 -- The government of Turkmenistan has a long-established habit of ignoring bad news.
- Outside China, Coronavirus transmission 'iceberg' may not be as big as feared UN News 13 Feb 2020 -- As infections from COVID-19 coronavirus continue to rise, a senior UN health expert on Thursday said that there were some indications that disease transmission outside China might not be the tip of the "iceberg" that had been feared.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|