12 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Iran's Commitments to the Financial Action Task Force US Dept. of State 12 Feb 2020 -- The United States calls on Iran to fulfill its commitments to the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and adhere to the FATF's anti-money laundering and combating the financing of terrorism standards that protect the international financial system from illicit finance.
- Foreign fighters: 'One of the most serious dimensions' in global counter-terrorism struggle UN News 12 Feb 2020 -- Over the past few years, ISIL and Al-Qaida terrorist fighters have posed an "unprecedented threat to international peace and security", the UN counter-terrorism chief said on Wednesday in Vienna, at the close of a joint UN- Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) regional conference on addressing challenges posed by terrorists who have gone to fight overseas.
- U.S. Customs Chief Admits Agents Mistreated Iranian Americans At U.S.-Canada Border RFE/RL 12 Feb 2020 -- The acting head of the Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency acknowledged that agents were out of line last month when they detained dozens of Iranian-Americans and Iranians at a border crossing near Canada in Washington State.
- DR Congo Ebola outbreak still an international public health concern UN News 12 Feb 2020 -- The Ebola virus disease outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) remains an international public health concern, experts meeting in Geneva concluded on Wednesday.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 23 WHO 12 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on coronavirus disease outbreak - 12 February 2020 WHO
- WHO gives official name for novel coronavirus People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Tuesday gave the official name for the latest novel coronavirus as being Covid-19, which stands for coronavirus disease starting in 2019.
- UN health agency developing COVID-19 virus treatment master plan UN News 12 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) is developing a master plan for coordinating clinical trials that could lead to potential therapies for patients infected with the COVID-19 virus, the agency's chief, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, announced on Wednesday.
- Caution urged despite signs of fewer new cases Global Times 12 Feb 2020 -- More positive signs have emerged as cities nationwide have enhanced measures to contain the novel coronavirus outbreak, sparking more speculation on when the inflection point would come. Some analysts urged continuous vigilance as it is still too early to draw a conclusion due to lack of effective therapeutics against the virus.
- Xi chairs leadership meeting on epidemic control Global Times 12 Feb 2020 -- The Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee on Wednesday held a meeting on the prevention and control of the pneumonia epidemic caused by the novel coronavirus or COVID-19.
- China sees rising recovery rate of COVID-19 patients People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- The proportion of patients who recovered from the novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) in China had increased to 10.6 percent on Tuesday from the lowest 1.3 percent on Jan. 27, Mi Feng, an official with the National Health Commission, said Wednesday.
- New confirmed coronavirus infections drop by nearly half in China: spokesperson People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- The number of daily new confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus infection fell from a peak of 3,887 on Feb. 4 to 2,015 on Tuesday, with a decrease of 48.2 percent, according to the National Health Commission (NHC).
- Coronavirus-hit city near Wuhan sacks derelict officials People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- Enshi in China's coronavirus-stricken province of Hubei punished eight government officials over incompetent control of the epidemic.
- Makeshift hospital in Wuhan accepts over 900 patients infected with coronavirus People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- A total of 925 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been admitted to a 1,000-bed hospital built in 10 days in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus outbreak, as of 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.
- Wuhan sends 34,000 gov't workers, Party members to fight coronavirus in communities People's Daily 12 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak, has mobilized more than 34,000 officials, government workers and Communist Party of China members into its 1,100 communities to fight the epidemic.
- Chinese Propaganda Featuring Tibetan Nurse Debunked as COVID-19 Cases Increase Radio Free Asia 12 Feb 2020 -- A Chinese state TV effort to turn a Tibetan nurse from a remote corner of Qinghai province into a heroic volunteer fighting the coronavirus in Wuhan fizzled this week when her relatives said she was ordered to go to the epicenter of the epidemic in Hubei province.
- New Virus Cases In China Fall Again As Deaths Exceed 1,100 RFE/RL 12 Feb 2020 -- China's National Health Commission reported 97 new coronavirus deaths on February 11 for the previous 24 hours, bringing the total number of fatalities nationwide to 1,113.
- Health declaration required from all travelers arriving in Taiwan CNA 12 Feb 2020 -- All travelers entering Taiwan, regardless of nationality or where their trip originated, will be required to submit a health declaration on arrival in the country, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Tuesday.
- Coronavirus vaccines expected in 18 months: WHO head CNA 12 Feb 2020 -- The director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday that the first batch of vaccines against the novel coronavirus could be available in 18 months but that the world should be prepared for a long-term battle.
- Length of Isolation against Covid-2019 Prolonged KCNA 12 Feb 2020 -- Anxiety and concern of the international community about the novel coronavirus infection rapidly spreading worldwide are growing stronger with each passing day.
- DPRK Red Cross Society Conducts Brisk Activities to Prevent Covid-2019 KCNA 12 Feb 2020 -- The DPRK Red Cross Society (RCS) is conducting brisk activities to soundly prevent Covid-2019.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|