08 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- US, Europe Split Over Terror Threat from Africa VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- Terror groups in Africa are getting more ambitious, increasingly mustering the resources and expertise to make their presence felt across the region with an eye toward wreaking havoc even further afield.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 19 WHO 08 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on novel coronavirus - 8 February 2020 WHO
- Another Taiwanese tests positive for novel coronavirus CNA 08 Feb 2020 -- Another Taiwanese has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) after a recent trip overseas, bringing the total number of confirmed cases of the respiratory virus in Taiwan to 17, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Saturday.
- Coronavirus Single-Day Death Toll Reaches New High VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- The coronavirus claimed 86 lives during a one-day period ending Saturday morning, the biggest single-day increase to date, as the virus continues to takes its toll in China and other parts of the world.
- Myanmar Officials, Ethnic Leaders Monitor China Border for Coronavirus VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- Intent on preventing an outbreak of the coronavirus in Myanmar, local officials and members of ethnic armed organizations, or EAOs, along the border with China have imposed travel restrictions, increased health checks, called for monitoring of Chinese workers and, in some areas, imposed fines.
- Doctor's Death Unleashes Mourning, Fury at Chinese Officials VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- China mourned the death Friday of Li Wenliang, a 34-year-old eye doctor from Wuhan, who was among eight whistleblowers reprimanded by local authorities for trying to sound the alarm about the deadly virus in late December of last year.
- Specter of Runaway Virus Outbreak Strains China's Relations Around Asia VOA 08 Feb 2020 -- Asian governments with historically tense relations with China, from Japan to Vietnam, are facing domestic pressures to take more measures against the deadly new coronavirus amid fears the Asian superpower might handle the outbreak irresponsibly.
- China's Communist Party Faces Public Anger As Coronavirus Toll Rises RFE/RL 08 Feb 2020 -- China's ruling Communist Party faced public anger over the death of a doctor who was threatened by authorities for trying to alert the public about the new coronavirus in December, before the outbreak spread and became a global crisis.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|