06 February 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 17 WHO 06 February 2020
- WHO Emergencies Press Conference on novel coronavirus - 6 February 2020 WHO
- Treasury Announces 2020 National Illicit Finance Strategy US Treasury 06 Feb 2020 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury today issued the 2020 National Strategy for Combating Terrorist and Other Illicit Financing (2020 Strategy), which provides a roadmap to modernize the U.S. anti-money laundering/countering the financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) regime to make it more effective and efficient.
- Oregon Guard members learn the basics of hazardous operations Army News 06 Feb 2020 -- The biting cold onshore breeze stabs through the buildings at Camp Rilea on the Oregon coast, just south of Astoria. The salt-stained air is brightly lit by the steel grey sky. It is definitely woobie weather.
- FBI: Russia engaged in 'information warfare' ahead of 2020 presidential election Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- The FBI has accused Russia of being engaged in "information warfare" heading into the 2020 presidential election, repeating allegations that Moscow conducted a "cyberattack on election infrastructure" in 2016 presidential vote.
- FBI Chief Says Russia's 'Information Warfare' Against U.S. Has Not Eased RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- The chief of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) says Russia is conducting an "information warfare" operation against the United States ahead of the 2020 presidential election, although he says he has not seen signs that Russian actors have attempted to breach election infrastructure.
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- The California Department of Public Health and a Network of Labs California Department of Public Health 06 Feb 2020
- DOD Statement - Flight Evacuations DoD 06 Feb 2020 -- In support of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Department of Defense is prepared to receive two Department of State chartered evacuation flights from Wuhan, China currently scheduled to arrive on February 7th.
- DOD Statement on Additional Request From HHS DoD 06 Feb 2020 -- Secretary of Defense Dr. Mark T. Esper is expected to support a request from the Department of Health and Human Services which asked DOD to identify military installations near 11 major airports that could house additional passengers, should HHS facilities become filled. These are tertiary locations, and HHS already has primary and secondary locations identified that are not DOD facilities.
- Chinese cities on highest virus alert Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- After two weeks of city lockdown in Wuhan, the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus in Central China's Hubei Province, some positive signs emerged nationwide as growth rate of confirmed cases slightly dropped and the situation outside the province has been stabilizing. However, some megacities and neighboring provinces still face a tough battle as they face a post-holiday travel rush with people returning to work.
- Chinese vice premier stresses epidemic control in rural areas Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- Vice Premier Hu Chunhua has called for greater efforts to ensure supply of agricultural products and strengthen epidemic prevention and control of the novel coronavirus in rural areas.
- China to take more steps to ensure supplies for epidemic control Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- China will roll out a host of measures to ensure the supply of key medical resources and daily necessities for intensified epidemic prevention and control, and increase the production of urgently needed medical resources, a State Council executive meeting decided on Wednesday.
- $675 million needed for coronavirus outbreak plan: WHO Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) says $675 million is needed to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus and to protect states with weaker health systems.
- Mask makers go all out in fight against novel coronavirus Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- Medical material manufacturers across China are racing against the clock to make masks, the most sought-after item amid the novel coronavirus outbreak, which has claimed hundreds of lives nationwide.
- Postponement of military recruitment to have no impact on results: expert Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- China had to suspend its military recruitment program for this year due to the novel coronavirus outbreak, but the postponement will lead to no significant impact on the number or quality of the eventual recruits, an expert with the People's Liberation Army (PLA) predicted on Thursday.
- Xi renews call for all-out steps to curb virus PLA Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- China has stepped up the fight against the novel coronavirus, as the country's top leadership has demanded all-around support to curb the spread of the contagious pneumonia that has claimed 490 lives on the Chinese mainland as of Tuesday.
- PLA transportation support team helps build makeshift hospitals in Wuhan PLA Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- On Monday evening a transport support team of the People's Liberation Army assumed a new mission of transporting supplies for the building of three makeshift hospitals in Wuhan, the epicenter of coronavirus outbreak.
- Third confirmed UK coronavirus case contracted disease outside China Press TV 06 Feb 2020 -- This latest patient to test positive for the coronavirus, the third so far in the UK, was diagnosed in Brighton and is being transferred to a hospital in London, did not contract the virus in the UK or mainland China but, rather, another country in Asia.
- At Least 99 Wuhan Residents in Quarantine in Xinjiang's Atush City Amid Coronavirus Scare Radio Free Asia 06 Feb 2020 -- At least 99 people from the epicenter of China's deadly novel coronavirus (nCoV) outbreak are under quarantine at a hotel in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region's (XUAR) Atush (in Chinese, Atushi) city, according to officials, where authorities are racing to control the spread of the contagion.
- China Coronavirus Cases Double as Cases Spread in Crowded Markets Radio Free Asia 06 Feb 2020 -- The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in China has doubled in the past week, amid fears that the virus may now be capable of spreading very fast between people in casual contact in public places.
- Tibetans Alarmed as Visitors Continue to Enter Lhasa During Coronavirus Scare Radio Free Asia 06 Feb 2020 -- Tibetans in the Tibet Autonomous Region (TAR) are worried about the possible spread of novel coronavirus (nCoV) in the capital Lhasa, as they feel authorities have not taken adequate measures to limit the number of visitors entering the city.
- Will The Coronavirus Spark A Global Downturn Greater Than SARS? RFE/RL 06 Feb 2020 -- Before there was the coronavirus, there was SARS.
- Death Toll From Coronavirus in Mainland China Reaches 636, Over 31,100 Infected - Authorities Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- An outbreak of pneumonia, caused by a newly discovered strain of coronavirus, was originally registered in the Chinese city of Wuhan in Hubei province, and later spread to other regions of the country and also beyond China.
- China Deploys Military to Deliver Medical Supplies to Hubei Province Amid Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- China this week has deployed hundreds of military officers to deliver medical and other supplies to the city of Wuhan in the Hubei province, where the deadly coronavirus first originated in December.
- Slight fall in coronavirus infections 'nothing to celebrate', says UN health agency UN News 06 Feb 2020 -- A slight drop overnight in the number of people infected by the new coronavirus is welcome but "nothing to celebrate", a top UN health official said on Thursday.
- China's Xi Declares 'People's War' on Coronavirus VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Thursday declared a "people's war" on the coronavirus outbreak, whose death toll grows by the day.
- Experts Warn Coronavirus May Be Spreading Undetected in Indonesia, Thailand VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- The number of coronavirus cases reported in Indonesia and Thailand is well below what scientists would expect, given how closely connected the countries are to the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of the outbreak.
- China Coronavirus Lockdown Crippling Global Supply Chain VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- With more than 50 million people on lockdown, economists warn China's efforts to contain the coronavirus outbreak are reverberating through the global economy.
- Hong Kongers Scramble for Scarce Necessities Amid Coronavirus Outbreak VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- There is increasing anxiety in Hong Kong over the coronavirus outbreak, as citizens began camping outside shops overnight this week in the hope of buying surgical masks while others snapped up household necessities from rice to toilet rolls.
- Iran details rendering aid to its nationals to deal with coronavirus in China IRNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Iran's Embassy in China elaborated Thursday on its measures taken to counter coronavirus to help the Iranian nationals here.
- Taiwan confirms 3 more Wuhan virus cases, bringing total to 16 CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Three more Taiwanese were confirmed infected with the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) late Thursday, just several hours after the country reported two new cases earlier in the day.
- Taiwan reports two new cases of Wuhan coronavirus CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Another two cases of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) were confirmed in Taiwan on Thursday, bringing the total number in the country to 13, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- Taiwanese tests positive for coronavirus on quarantined cruise ship CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- A Taiwanese woman aboard a cruise ship quarantined in Japan's Yokohama Harbor has tested positive for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said Thursday.
- HK, Macau residents to face stricter entry rules from Friday CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan announced the suspension of the issuance of entry permits on arrival and the online processing of entry permits for Hong Kong and Macau residents beginning Friday.
- Quarantined couple prevented from leaving country CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- A couple residing in New Taipei who had been subject to home quarantine on fears of novel coronavirus infection were caught trying to travel to China from offshore Kinmen County Thursday, according to an immigration officer.
- Taiwan halts all tours to Hong Kong, Macau CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- The Tourism Bureau announced Thursday the suspension of all tours to Hong Kong and Macau until Feb. 29, with the exception of tour groups that are merely transiting through the two special administrative regions.
- Taiwan bans cruise ships port calls on Wuhan coronavirus fears CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- International cruise liners will not be allowed to make port calls in Taiwan, with immediate effect, as the novel coronavirus has shown no signs of abating across the globe, the country's Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced Thursday.
- 20 Japan cruise tourists nCoV victims Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- Ten more passengers on a cruise ship quarantined in Japan were confirmed to be infected with the novel coronavirus on Thursday, bringing the total number to 20, including three from Hong Kong and one from Taiwan, according to the Japanese authority.
- Hong Kong Tracks Cruise Ship Passengers Amid Growing Calls to Shut Border Radio Free Asia 06 Feb 2020 -- Thousands of medical workers remained on strike in Hong Kong on Thursday, as the authorities struggled to track down people who may have been infected with coronavirus aboard cruise ships plying the region's ports.
- Malaysia Confirms First Coronavirus Case Via Human-to-Human Transmission - Reports Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- On Monday evening a transport support team of the People's Liberation Army assumed a new mission of transporting supplies for the building of three makeshift hospitals in Wuhan, the epicenter of coronavirus outbreak.
- North Korea Bars New Foreign Diplomats to Block Virus VOA 06 Feb 2020 -- North Korea barred new foreign diplomats from entering the country as it intensified efforts to contain the coronavirus.
- Over 1.4 million surgical masks sold on first day of new rationing system CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Over 1.4 million disposable surgical masks were sold on Thursday, when a new rationing system was rolled out as part of the Taiwan government's efforts to ensure a consistent supply amid fears of the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Government has requested experimental coronavirus drug: Health Ministry CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Health and Welfare Minister Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) said Thursday that the Taiwan government has asked the American drugmaker Gilead Sciences to reserve doses of its experimental drug Remdesivir for potential use in Taiwan, amid reports that the antiviral medication may be effective in treating the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Taiwan's Foreign Minister blasts WHO for shifting designations CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan's foreign minister Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) on Thursday blasted the World Health Organization (WHO) for repeatedly giving Taiwan "inappropriate designations" and reiterated that Taiwan is not part of China.
- Repatriations from China must be through proper channels: premier CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said Thursday that there will be no more repatriations of Taiwanese nationals stranded in Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak, unless such arrangements are made through the established communication channels between both sides of the Taiwan Strait rather than private groups.
- Taiwan targets 4.6 million masks a day in two weeks CNA 06 Feb 2020 -- Taiwan currently produces 3.2 million surgical face masks a day, but is hoping to boost that to 4.6 million within two weeks as new equipment is installed at production facilities across the nation, Economic Affairs Minister Shen Jong-chin (沈榮津) said Thursday.
- Mainland urges Taiwan authority to stop impeding Taiwan compatriots returning from Hubei People's Daily 07 Feb 2020 -- A Chinese mainland spokesperson Thursday urged the Taiwan authority to stop impeding Taiwan compatriots stranded in the coronavirus-hit Hubei Province from returning to the island.
- Mask Production Brisk KCNA 06 Feb 2020 -- The Garment Technical Preparation Center under the Pyongyang Municipal Garment Industry Management Bureau speeds up the production of masks needed for checking the novel coronavirus infection.
- Coronavirus outbreak dries up major Chinese cities' labor pools Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- The outbreak of the novel coronavirus has prompted numerous companies to further extend the dates that employees return to work in first-tier cities across China, a trend which some industry insiders described as a "second wave" of hits on the Chinese economy that would dry up major cities' labor pools in manufacturing, services, construction and other sectors while also causing inconveniences to people's daily lives.
- Coronavirus epicenter faces severe test as actual number of infections still unknown Global Times 06 Feb 2020 -- Wuhan, the epicenter of the deadly coronavirus in Central China's Hubei Province, still faces a severe test after nearly two weeks of being in lockdown, as a large number of patients have not received timely treatment, causing more pressure and no turning point is in sight yet, officials and experts said.
- China reports 3,694 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection, 73 new deaths People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- Chinese health authorities Thursday said it received reports of 3,694 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 73 deaths on Wednesday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps.
- Chinese hospitals discharge 1,153 recovered patients of coronavirus infection People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- A total of 1,153 patients infected with the novel coronavirus had been discharged from hospital after recovery by the end of Wednesday, Chinese health authorities announced Thursday.
- China's Wuhan has set up 132 quarantine sites People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- China's epidemic-hit Wuhan has set up 132 quarantine sites by Tuesday, providing over 12,500 beds to cope with the surging number of patients confirmed or suspected to be infected with the novel coronavirus.
- Beijing bans dinner gatherings for epidemic control People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- Beijing has published a notice to ban dinner gatherings as a step to strengthen the prevention and control of the novel coronavirus outbreak, according to a press conference Wednesday.
- China's Hubei reports 2,987 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 2,987 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 70 new deaths on Wednesday, local health authorities said Thursday.
- 10 test positive for novel coronavirus on quarantined cruise ship in Japan People's Daily 06 Feb 2020 -- Test results show that nine passengers and a crew member on a cruise ship quarantined off the coast in Japan are infected with the novel coronavirus, the Japanese health ministry said Wednesday.
- Hong Kong to Place in Quarantine Everyone Coming From Mainland China – Report Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- Hong Kong will introduce on Saturday a two-week quarantine for all people arriving from mainland China over an outbreak of a new coronavirus, media reported on Thursday.
- Taiwan Issues Ban on Intenational Cruise Ships Docking at Island Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- Due to the new coronavirus outbreak, which originated in Hubei province, Taiwan has banned all travellers who have been to mainland China from entering the island without special permission.
- Number of Confirmed Coronavirus Cases in South Korea Rises to 23 Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- South Korea has confirmed five more new cases of the new coronavirus infection, bringing their total number to 23, the South Korean Health Ministry's Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said Thursday.
- Another 10 People From Cruise Ship in Japan Diagnosed With Novel Coronavirus - Report Sputnik 06 Feb 2020 -- Another 10 people from a cruise ship, quarantined off the Japanese coast since Monday, have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, the Kyodo news agency reported citing Japan's Health Ministry.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|