31 January 2020 Security News
Other Security News
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 11 WHO 31 January 2020
- Statement from the Press Secretary The White House 31 Jan 2020
- Press Briefing by Members of the President's Coronavirus Task Force The White House 31 Jan 2020
- Department of Defense Issues Guidelines to Personnel on Coronavirus DoD 31 Jan 2020 -- The Department of Defense has issued guidance to personnel aimed at reducing the potential threat of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
- Three Confirmed Cases of Novel Coronavirus in California California Department of Public Health 31 Jan 2020
- DOD, Other Government Departments Take Coronavirus Response Measures DoD News 31 Jan 2020 -- The Defense Department is working with other government agencies in responding to the coronavirus outbreak.
- Officials Say Coronavirus Risk to Personnel Low, But Advise Precautions DoD News 31 Jan 2020 -- Although the risk of contracting the new coronavirus virus is low, Centers for Disease Control officials said, they recommend getting an influenza vaccine and taking everyday preventive actions to help stop the spread of germs.
- Taiwan confirms another case of Wuhan virus CNA 31 Jan 2020 -- Another case of the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) was confirmed in Taiwan on Friday, bringing the number of cases in the country to 10, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said.
- 2 Taiwanese in China confirmed to have coronavirus infection CNA 31 Jan 2020 -- Two Taiwanese nationals in China were confirmed Friday to be infected with the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV), according to the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC), Taiwan's top government agency handling cross-Taiwan Strait affairs.
- Tigerair Taiwan cancels flights to Macau amid coronavirus fear CNA 31 Jan 2020 -- Tigerair Taiwan, a subsidiary of Taiwan's China Airlines, will cancel some of its flights to Macau next month following the outbreak of a new form of coronavirus in the Chinese city of Wuhan and its spread to other countries.
- Over 30,000 surgical masks seized in outbound postal packages CNA 31 Jan 2020 -- More than 30,000 surgical face masks found in 123 postal packages bound for overseas have been seized by authorities in a single day, the Aviation Police Bureau said Friday.
- WHO decision makes little effect in curbing China Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) declared on Thursday (local time) in Geneva the novel coronavirus outbreak a global public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), putting pressure on China amid the deadly virus battle, as more countries are likely to issue travel advisories and impose trade restrictions.
- US' China travel ban an 'overreaction' to WHO declaration Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The US warning against traveling to China due to the novel coronavirus spread is an overreaction, which would greatly hurt global tourism and hinder people-to-people exchanges, Chinese experts say.
- Medical supply shortage haunts Hubei Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Thousands of medical personnel from across China have been rushing to Hubei, bringing medical supplies, as the extreme shortage of medical supplies has been haunting the epicenter of the novel coronavirus in the country.
- Shanghai regulates mask sales to prevent shortage: authority Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Shanghai residents have to register to buy medical masks starting Sunday to alleviate the city's current shortage of masks during the fight against novel coronavirus, a local government spokesperson said Friday.
- CPC allocates 108 mln yuan for coronavirus control Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The Organization Department of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) has allocated 108 million yuan (about 15.57 million US dollars) to prevent and control the novel coronavirus epidemic.
- Chinese premier urges vaccine, medicine development against epidemic Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang on Thursday stressed speeding up the development of vaccine and medicine against pneumonia caused by a novel coronavirus.
- China imported 56.228 million masks within 7 days Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Customs departments nationwide have received over 16,000 batches of supplies from overseas, among which were a total of 56.228 million masks, to help fight against the spread of the novel coronavirus in China.
- Hubei adds 70 rural medical facilities against epidemic Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- More than 70 new medical facilities have joined in the battle against the novel coronavirus epidemic in the rural areas of central China's Hubei Province.
- China's Hubei reports 1,220 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- Central China's Hubei Province reported 1,220 new confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus and 42 new deaths on Thursday, local health authorities said Friday.
- DPRK Works Hard to Prevent Novel Coronavirus Infection KCNA 31 Jan 2020 -- The central, provincial, city and county emergency anti-epidemic headquarters, which were established under the unified guidance of the Non-permanent Central Public Health Guidance Committee of the DPRK, have pushed ahead with the campaign to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- China says has full confidence, capability to control epidemic People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- China has full confidence and capability to win the fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Friday.
- WHO regional official lauds China for making control of coronavirus outbreak top priority People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Takeshi Kasai, World Health Organization (WHO) Regional Director for the Western Pacific, praised China for focusing its efforts on how to bring the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) outbreak under control.
- Hong Kong eyes 24 mln face masks from mainland to ease shortage People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region government is working with mainland authorities for a supply of more than 24 million face masks in an effort to ease local shortage of protective gear in the fight against spread of the novel coronavirus.
- Beijing launches temperature screening in all subway stations People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Beijing subway authorities on Friday said they have launched temperature detection measures in all of the city's subway stations.
- Construction work of two hospitals underway to tackle novel coronavirus in Wuhan People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- As of Jan.30, major aspects of construction work pertaining to the Huoshenshan hospital have been completed. The assembly work related to the hospital wards is now underway, while the construction of pipe systems is now 60 percent complete.
- China's Jiangsu develops rapid test kit for coronavirus People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Experts have developed a rapid nucleic test kit for the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in the city of Wuxi, east China's Jiangsu Province.
- Iran health minister urges government to ban entry of travelers from China Press TV 31 Jan 2020 -- Iran's Minister of Health Saeed Namaki has demanded that the government prevent the entry of passengers from China amid the threat of coronavirus epidemic.
- American president to bar nationals from 6 more countries from traveling, migrating to US Press TV 31 Jan 2020 -- US President Donald Trump is expected to announce immigration bans on nationals of six more countries – mostly Muslim-majority nations - in an expanded version of the original travel ban imposed after he took office.
- Iran suspends flights to and from China amid coronavirus spread concerns Press TV 31 Jan 2020 -- Iranian Minister of Health Saeed Namaki says Iran has temporarily halted all flights to and from China as the novel coronavirus, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan, spreads across the country and the rest of the world.
- Coronavirus Ravages Wuhan as Hospitals Turn Fever, Pneumonia Patients Away Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Wuhan residents and a citizen journalist at the epicenter of the coronavirus epidemic say the city is fighting a losing battle as the death toll rose on Friday to 213, with nearly 10,000 confirmed cases around the world.
- Hong Kong Threatened With Medical Strike Over Refusal to Shut Border Radio Free Asia 31 Jan 2020 -- Medical staff in Hong Kong are threatening to strike if the city's government doesn't shut down its border with mainland China in the face of the coronavirus epidemic now spreading outwards from central China with nearly 10,000 confirmed cases and more than 200 deaths reported on Friday.
- Pakistan Halts All Flights To And From China Amid Coronavirus Fears RFE/RL 31 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan says it is halting all flights to and from China after the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the ongoing coronavirus outbreak a global emergency.
- U.S. Official: Trump To Expand Travel Ban To Six More Countries RFE/RL 31 Jan 2020 -- U.S. President Donald Trump will issue an expanded version of his travel ban on January 31, a U.S. official said, a decision that could impact thousands of immigrants.
- Russia Confirms First Two Cases Of Coronavirus, Two Chinese Nationals Quarantined RFE/RL 31 Jan 2020 -- Russia has reported its first two cases of coronavirus, as governments scrambled to control the spread of a new coronavirus that has already killed more than 200 people in China.
- Indian Government Bans Exporting All Types of Respiratory Masks Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- The novel Coronavirus is spreading fast in China and causing health scares in many other countries with the World Health Organisation declaring it a global emergency. The death toll has swelled to 230, with 9,692 infected cases in China alone. As a precaution, health experts suggest wearing face masks in public places.
- Two First Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed in Russia Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- On Thursday, the World Health Organisation (WHO) declared the new coronavirus a global health emergency.
- Pakistan Suspends Flights to China a Day After WHO Declares Global Health Emergency Over Coronavirus Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- Airlines around the world have been suspending all flights to China following the outbreak of the virus which has already claimed the lives of over 200 people.
- Two Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed in UK - England's Chief Medical Officer Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- Earlier in the day, the UK Foreign Office stated that a plane carrying 83 UK and 27 foreign nationals had left the Chinese city of Wuhan.
- Coronavirus: India Sends Special Flight to Wuhan to Evacuate its Citizens Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- On 30 January, the World Health Organisation declared the spread of the Novel Coronavirus a 'Public Health Emergency of International Concern'.
- Philippines' President Orders Travel Ban on Chinese Nationals From Hubei - Spokesman Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- The Philippines' President Rodrigo Duterte has requested an entry ban on Chinese nationals from the Hubei province, where the novel coronavirus originates in, his spokesman said on Friday.
- Chinese Authorities Send Charter Flights Globally to Return Wuhan Residents - Foreign Ministry Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- China's Wuhan is ground zero for the latest strain of the coronavirus, dubbed 2019-nCoV, or more commonly the Wuhan virus that has spread to at least 19 countries, infecting 9,356 people in China alone.
- IMF Chief Says 'Some' Negative Impact From Coronavirus Likely in Q1 Sputnik 31 Jan 2020 -- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) expects some negative first quarter economic impact from China's coronavirus amid disruptions to travel, tourism and manufacturing, IMF Managing Director Kristalina Georgieva said at a forum in Washington.
- China Expresses Confidence Coronavirus Epidemic Will Be Defeated VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- A high-ranking Chinese official says he is confident strong measures taken by his government to tackle the coronavirus outbreak are working and will succeed in preventing the deadly virus from spreading. Chinese authorities say the number of confirmed cases has risen to nearly 10,000, including 213 deaths.
- Coronavirus Concerns Spur Nigerian Authorities to Close Chinese Market in Abuja VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- Nigerian officials raided and shut down a popular Chinese supermarket in Abuja this week over concerns about the spreading coronavirus.
- Botswana Registers First Suspected Case of Coronavirus VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- Botswana has registered its first suspected case of the deadly coronavirus. A person arriving from China aboard Ethiopian Airways showed symptoms consistent with the virus.
- Pakistan Stops Flights To, From China Amid Coronavirus Concerns VOA 31 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan Friday temporarily halted all flights to and from China, effective immediately, a day after it decided to delay the opening of a key border crossing with the neighboring country following the coronavirus outbreak there.
- WHO says novel coronavirus outbreak a global health emergency, disfavors travel and trade restrictions People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Thursday that the novel coronavirus outbreak has become a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- China reports 9,692 confirmed cases of novel coronavirus pneumonia, 213 deaths People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- Chinese health authorities announced Friday that 9,692 confirmed cases of pneumonia caused by the novel coronavirus had been reported in 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps by the end of Thursday. A total of 213 people have died of the disease.
- China "confident in, capable of" containing, defeating epidemic: NHC People's Daily 31 Jan 2020 -- China is confident in and capable of effectively containing the novel coronavirus epidemic, and eventually defeating it, the National Health Commission said in a statement Friday.
- Hubei official removed for negligence on epidemic treatment capabilities Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- The health commission head for Huanggang, the second most affected coronavirus city in Hubei Province, the epicenter for the virus, was released Thursday due to a lack of knowledge on the city's disease treatment capabilities and resources.
- Virus inflection point could emerge in one month: expert Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- With measures taken to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus, an inflection point is likely to appear within the next one or two incubation periods, according to one expert on Thursday.
- China remains confident in the fight against the coronavirus: official Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- China appreciates the efforts of other countries in helping to combat the novel coronavirus and is confident it will win the battle, a spokesperson from the National Health Commission (NHC) said at a press conference on Thursday.
- China has full confidence, capability to control epidemic: FM Global Times 31 Jan 2020 -- China has full confidence and capability to win the fight against the novel coronavirus epidemic, a foreign ministry spokesperson said Friday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|