23 January 2020 Security News
Other Security News
- Senior State Department Official Readout of Recent Counterterrorism Ministerial in Bogota, Colombia US Dept. of State 23 Jan 2020 -- Special Briefing
COVID-19 Pandemic News
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-2019) situation report - 03 WHO 23 January 2020
- IHR Emergency Committee for Pneumonia due to the Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV transcript of a press briefing - 23 January 2020 WHO
- Taiwan closes borders to current, former Wuhan residents CNA 23 Jan 2020 -- Taiwan tightened its border control Thursday, mandating a health declaration by all visitors from China and banning the entry of residents of the Chinese city of Wuhan, the epicenter of a deadly new coronavirus.
- Inbound transport to Wuhan suspended: ministry Global Times 23 Jan 2020 -- China's transport ministry announced Thursday to suspend all road and waterway passenger inbound transport services into Wuhan following an early notice from the city authorities which requires to suspend all outbound public transportation, in an apparent escalated fight against the pneumonia outbreak that has claimed 17 lives.
- WHO extends emergency talks over coronavirus outbreak in China Global Times 23 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday night extended to Thursday its emergency talks on whether the novel coronavirus outbreak in China constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- China locks down city at center of new virus outbreak Press TV 23 Jan 2020 -- China has imposed quarantine measures on a major city at the center of a virus outbreak, banning trains and planes from leaving it in an attempt to curb the contagious disease that has so far claimed the lives of 17 people.
- Wuhan Residents Scramble to Leave Virus-Hit City as Shelves Empty Radio Free Asia 23 Jan 2020 -- Authorities in central China's Hubei province on Thursday locked down the provincial capital Wuhan and two neighboring cities, leaving some 18 million people with no way to leave amid the ongoing coronavirus epidemic.
- Conditions Put Xinjiang Internment Camps at Risk as Region Confirms First Coronavirus Cases Radio Free Asia 23 Jan 2020 -- Poor sanitation and cramped quarters could lead to an epidemic at internment camps in northwest China's Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (XUAR), experts said Thursday, as state media confirmed the region's first two cases of the new coronavirus traced to Hubei province.
- Beijing Confirms Cancellation of Chinese New Year Celebrations Amid Coronavirus Outbreak Sputnik 23 Jan 2020 -- According to recent data, more than 600 cases of the disease have been confirmed in 25 Chinese provinces, and 17 people have died as a result of the so-called Novel Coronavirus that was first detected in Wuhan in late December.
- Coronavirus: 'An emergency in China, but not yet a global health emergency' UN News 23 Jan 2020 -- The head of the UN health agency, WHO (World Health Organization), declared on Thursday that the respiratory disease Novel Coronavirus, is not yet an official Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), but warned that is an emergency in China.
- WHO: Deadly Virus Not Yet Global Emergency VOA 23 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization said Thursday the deadly virus that prompted the Chinese government to lock down nearly 20 million people in three cities has not developed into a worldwide health emergency.
- Pakistan Begins Screening Travelers From China for Coronavirus VOA 23 Jan 2020 -- Pakistan announced Thursday airport authorities have begun screening travelers from neighboring China for signs of the coronavirus.
- Virus-Related Tourism Ban Could Hurt North Korea's Economy VOA 23 Jan 2020 -- North Korea has temporarily banned foreign tourists in response to the outbreak of a dangerous new virus in neighboring China. Depending on how long the ban lasts, it could hurt North Korea's economy, which though heavily sanctioned, has received a boost by a recent influx of Chinese tourists.
- WHO extends emergency talks over coronavirus outbreak, commending China's efforts People's Daily 23 Jan 2020 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday night extended to Thursday its emergency talks on whether the novel coronavirus outbreak in China constitutes a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).
- 17 deaths, 444 cases of new viral pneumonia reported in Hubei People's Daily 23 Jan 2020 -- A total of 444 cases of new coronavirus-related pneumonia and 17 deaths had been reported in central China's Hubei Province as of 8 p.m. Wednesday, according to local authorities.
- China Says 571 Cases of Coronavirus Confirmed - Report Sputnik 23 Jan 2020 -- At least 17 people have died so far in an outbreak of previously unknown pneumonia, later identified as a new type of coronavirus, that rocked the Chinese city of Wuhan in late December.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|