Bomb attack injures 13 in France's Lyon
Iran Press TV
Fri May 24, 2019 06:08PM
A bomb attack has wounded at least 13 people in France's southeastern city of Lyon.
The attack took place on a pedestrian street in the heart of Lyon around 5:30 pm local time on Friday, French officials said.
French Interior Ministry officials initially said eight people had been wounded, but police sources later put the number of the casualties at 13. None of the injured people were in a life-threatening condition.
French President Emmanuel Macron was starting a live address as news of the blast broke. "My thoughts are with the injured," he said.
Police sources and local Mayor Denis Broliquier said police forces were looking for a suspected suitcase bomber.
The partially masked suspect was captured on security video arriving at the scene by bicycle before leaving a case in front of a bakery shortly before the blast took place.
The Paris anti-terrorism prosecutor launched an investigation into the incident, with police treating the blast as attempted homicide, according to law-enforcement officials.
France experienced its worst terrorist attack on November 13, 2015, when seven sites in and around the French capital of Paris were targeted. A total of 130 people were killed and hundreds more were injured in shootings and bombings.
Also in July 2016, a man deliberately plowed his truck through a Bastille Day crowd in the French city of Nice, killing 84 people and wounding 200 others. An 85th victim died later in hospital.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|