April 2018 Security News
- NATO wins the world's largest live-fire cyber exercise NATO 30 Apr 2018 -- NATO has won the world's largest live-fire cyber exercise, Locked Shields 2018. After an intense competition from 23 to 26 April, NATO's "Blue team" of 30 cyber defenders - led by the NATO Communications and Information (NCI) Agency - took the top prize in Tallinn, Estonia. French and Czech teams placed second and third, respectively.
- Law Enforcement Hits IS Propaganda Outlets VOA 28 Apr 2018 -- Law enforcement authorities in the United States, European Union and Canada this week began a joint cybercampaign against Islamic State online communication channels that will "severely disrupt" the group's propaganda machine, the EU's law enforcement agency Europol said.
- Russia's security service foils Daesh acts of terror in Moscow Press TV 27 Apr 2018 -- Russian security forces have thwarted acts of terror planned by the Daesh Takfiri terrorists in Moscow.
- France Detects Over 400 Daesh Donors Financing Terror Attacks - Report Sputnik 26 Apr 2018 -- As a two-day conference on the fight against terrorism financing began on Wednesday at the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Paris authorities announced that they have identified hundreds of donors supporting one of the most notorious terrorist groups.
- Macron Urges Coordination in Fighting Terror Financing VOA 26 Apr 2018 -- French President Emmanuel Macron called for closer coordination and transparency in fighting terrorist financing Thursday as he closed a two-day international conference in Paris that focused on two of the biggest threats – al-Qaida and Islamic State.
- Marshall Center, Law Enforcement Leaders Discuss Counter-Crime Strategies AFPS 25 Apr 2018 -- Almost 100 mid- to top-level law enforcement specialists and parliamentarians from 52 nations have a better understanding of the strategic-level approaches needed to counter transnational criminal organizations when they return home April 28.
- European Commission To Call Out Russia For 'Information Warfare' RFE/RL 25 Apr 2018 -- The European Commission is set to single out Russia directly for what it calls Moscow's "information warfare" as part of EU efforts to fight back against online disinformation campaigns considered a threat to European security.
- UN-backed programme logs record high cocaine seizures at seaports in Latin America and the Caribbean UN News 25 Apr 2018 -- UN-trained law enforcement units have intercepted huge shipments of illegal drugs being trafficked through seaports this year, including 2.8 tons of cocaine at Brazil's Port Santos, the largest such seizure in the port's history
- US Supreme Court to Hear Travel Ban Case VOA 24 Apr 2018 -- The Supreme Court is scheduled to hear oral arguments Wednesday on whether President Donald Trump can limit travelers from mostly Muslim-majority countries – Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Somalia and Yemen – from coming to the U.S.
- U.S. Seeks Long Jail Term For Yahoo Hacker, Sending 'Message Of Deterrence' To FSB RFE/RL 23 Apr 2018 -- U.S. authorities have demanded a nearly eight-year prison sentence for a Kazakh-born computer hacker, asserting that a harsh term would send a message to Russia's main intelligence agency about hacking and espionage.
- Soldiers Practice Disaster Response Skills at Guardian Response Exercise AFPS 23 Apr 2018 -- Smoking buildings lay ruined. Debris and clothing are scattered across the landscape. Vehicles, some tipped topsy-turvy, are strewn along roads and paths. Human cries for help can be heard, calling out for someone to save them.
- Preparing for America's worst day: Army multi-component exercise tests the force Army News 23 Apr 2018 -- Fields of debris, demolished vehicles and bodies of mannequins and live role-players laid across an entire town center; words on bed sheets, asking for assistance, hung over the roofs of buildings; and street poles laid fallen, while buildings were covered in plumes of smoke, and homes were submerged in a body of water.
- Fight over Trump's travel ban finally goes before Supreme Court Press TV 23 Apr 2018 -- The fight over President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban will finally go before the Supreme Court, in a showdown over the limits of the president's power to decide who enters the United States.
- Paris attacks suspect gets 20-year jail term over gunfight in Brussels Press TV 23 Apr 2018 -- The only surviving suspect in the terror attacks that hit the French capital, Paris, in 2015, has been sentenced to 20 years in jail by a Belgian court over a shootout with police in Brussels months later.
- Belgium Sentences Paris Attacks Suspect to 20 Years VOA 23 Apr 2018 -- The only surviving suspect of 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris, was sentenced to 20 years in jail Monday in Brussels for a separate shootout with Belgian police.
- Russia Received No Official Requests From US About Origin of NotPetya Malware Sputnik 22 Apr 2018 -- Russia did not receive any US requests regarding the origin of NotPetya malware, Special Representative of the Russian President for International Cooperation in Information Security Andrey Krutskikh said.
- Democratic National Committee v. The Russian Federation, et al. 20 Apr 2018
- Democrats sue Trump campaign, Russia over 2016 election loss Press TV 20 Apr 2018 -- The US Democratic National Committee (DNC) has sued President Donald Trump's campaign, the Russian government and the whistle-blowing website Wikileaks over an alleged conspiracy to interfere in the 2016 presidential election.
- U.S. Democratic Party Sues Russia, Trump Campaign RFE/RL 20 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. Democratic Party has filed a lawsuit against the Russian government, President Donald Trump's election campaign, and the WikiLeaks organization, accusing them of conspiring to disrupt the 2016 U.S. presidential election campaign and tilt the election to Trump.
- An Alternative Approach of Counter-terrorism People's Daily 20 Apr 2018 -- According to many scholars and institutes that specialize in the research of global counter-terrorism, the world has witnessed a transition of global strategy of counter-terrorism from eradication to containment in the most recent decades. However, the total number of terrorist attacks happening each year reveals that the improvement in strategy did not translate to a successful reduction of terrorist attacks.
- Basque Terrorist Group Apologizes as It Prepares to Dissolve Sputnik 20 Apr 2018 -- The small regional militant group has been a thorn in the side of the Spanish government for almost six decades and is preparing to exit the military arena for good.
- ETA Separatists Apologize for 'Pain,' 'Harm' It Caused VOA 20 Apr 2018 -- The Basque separatist group ETA apologized Friday for the suffering caused by its decades-long campaign of violence to create an independent state and appealed to its victims for forgiveness.
- Remarks by President Trump After Briefing with Joint Interagency Task Force-South, NORTHCOM, and SOUTHCOM The White House 19 Apr 2018
- 25th Infantry Division aids relief efforts on Island of Kauai Army News 18 Apr 2018 -- Using two CH-47 Chinook helicopters, Tropic Lightning aircrews from Company B, 3rd Battalion, 25th Aviation Regiment, 25th Combat Aviation Brigade joined the State of Hawaii and County of Kauai's multi-agency relief effort Monday morning.
- Guard Bureau Chief: 965 Guard Troops Deployed To U.S.-Mexico Border AFPS 17 Apr 2018 -- There are 965 National Guard troops deployed to the U.S.-Mexico border, the chief of the National Guard Bureau told a Senate panel today.
- National Guard, Reserve Troops Participate in Disaster Response Exercises AFPS 17 Apr 2018 -- More than 400 South Carolina Army National Guard soldiers are participating in the U.S. Northern Command-hosted Guardian Response exercise here through April 30. They're joined by over a thousand other soldiers from the National Guard and reserves, supporting civil authorities for the training. Guardian Response is conducted in conjunction with the U.S. Army North-sponsored Vibrant Response exercise.
- Trump Blasts California Governor Over National Guard Commitment to Border Sputnik 17 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump said in a statement that California Governor Jerry Brown is opposed to safety and security along his state's border with Mexico because he will not allow the National Guard to patrol that border.
- In Saudi Arabia, UN chief spotlights need to help nations build capacity to counter terrorism UN News 17 Apr 2018 -- The United Nations chief stressed the importance of preventing terrorism by addressing the root causes that turn grievances into destructive action, as well as the need to sustain the world body's funding to help countries develop their counter-terrorism capacities.
- Russia Dismisses Rare US-British Warning on Hackers VOA 17 Apr 2018 -- Russia has rejected allegations from the United States and Britain that Russian-backed hackers are escalating cyberattacks on American and British companies, government operations and infrastructure.
- Inside the Internet Research Agency: a Mole Among Trolls VOA 17 Apr 2018 -- Vitaly Bespalov, a 23-year-old journalism school graduate, had no idea what to expect when he arrived at a nondescript four-story business center in St. Petersburg to interview for a job.
- DoD, DHS Outline National Guard Role in Securing Border AFPS 16 Apr 2018 -- National Guard troops are deploying to the U.S. border with Mexico to work in support functions for the Department of Homeland Security, including in aviation, operational and infrastructure missions, officials from the departments of Defense and Homeland Security told reporters here today.
- Russia-Backed Hackers Accused Of Global Cyberattacks RFE/RL 16 Apr 2018 -- Russian state-sponsored hackers are seeking to hijack critical network infrastructure devices, U.S. and British intelligence agencies say.
- US, Britain Issue Rare Joint Warning on Russian Hackers VOA 16 Apr 2018 -- The United States and Britain issued a rare and ominous alert Monday charging Russia of ramping up cyber attacks on American and British companies, government operations and infrastructure.
- UK Spy Agency Says it Shut Down Daesh Cyber Networks Sputnik 13 Apr 2018 -- British intelligence officers say their cyber campaign against Daesh has made it "almost impossible" for the jihadist group to operate online by blunting their communications, according the head of Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), Jeremy Fleming.
- South Florida Guard units prepare ahead of hurricane season Army News 12 Apr 2018 -- It's not hurricane season yet, but Soldiers with the Florida National Guard's 50th Regional Support Group (RSG) out of Homestead are already preparing to support civilian authorities in case a storm threatens the state again in the coming months.
- U.S. Faces Evolving, Emboldened Adversaries in Cyberspace, Officials Warn AFPS 11 Apr 2018 -- As threats in cyberspace constantly evolve, the United States is facing adversaries that are increasingly sophisticated, capable and emboldened in that domain, top defense officials told lawmakers today.
- California Deploys National Guard to Border, With Conditions VOA 11 Apr 2018 -- California Governor Jerry Brown has agreed to deploy 400 National Guard troops in response to President Donald Trump's request to states that border Mexico.
- US begins work on Mexico border wall Press TV 10 Apr 2018 -- The United States has begun construction work along the US-Mexico border in southern New Mexico to replace existing barriers with a new wall.
- The Best Kept Secret in the Navy: SPAWAR Systems Center Atlantic's Cyber Forensics Capabilities NNS 09 Apr 2018 -- Critical data that could prove a suspect is defrauding the government is located on a hard drive that has been submerged in water. Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) agents need access to information on a suspect's cell phone, which was intentionally destroyed.
- German Authorities Detain 6 for Alleged Plot to Attack Half-Marathon VOA 08 Apr 2018 -- German authorities said six people have been detained Sunday allegedly in connection with a plan to carry out an extremist attack on Berlin's half-marathon.
- National Guard Troops Deploy to Southern U.S. Border AFPS 07 Apr 2018 -- Defense Secretary James N. Mattis last night authorized up to 4,000 National Guard troops to deploy to the U.S. border with Mexico to support the Department of Homeland Security border security mission there.
- US states of Texas, Arizona announce troop deployments to Mexico border Press TV 07 Apr 2018 -- The US states of Texas and Arizona have announced plans to send reserve troops to the border with Mexico after President Donald Trump ordered the deployment of thousands of soldiers to combat illegal immigration and drug trafficking.
- Joint Statement by Secretary of Defense James Mattis and Secretary of Homeland Security Kirstjen Nielsen DoD 06 Apr 2018 -- Tonight, National Guard troops are deploying to support border security missions along the U.S. southwest border.
- Sessions Announces 'Zero-Tolerance' on Illegal US Entry After Surge in Crossings Sputnik 06 Apr 2018 -- US Attorney General Jeff Sessions told all US Attorney offices along the southwest border of a new "zero-tolerance" policy for those entering the US after the Department of Homeland Security reported a 203 percent rise in illegal border crossings during the month of March, the Department of Justice said in a press release.
- Statement by Chief Pentagon Spokesperson Dana W. White on Enhanced Border Security DoD 05 Apr 2018 -- The Department of Defense provides the military forces to protect the security of our country, which includes border security because border security is national security.
- Trump Wants Up to 4,000 Guard Troops on Border Until Wall Is Built VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- President Donald Trump said Thursday that he would send 2,000 to 4,000 National Guard troops to the U.S. border with Mexico.
- DoD Enhances Support for U.S. Border Security Mission, Spokesperson Says AFPS 05 Apr 2018 -- The Defense Department is enhancing its support to the Department of Homeland Security to secure the U.S. border with Mexico, chief Pentagon spokesperson Dana W. White said today.
- No rest for Washington state's 10th Civil Support Team Army News 05 Apr 2018 -- Lt. Col. Ricky Thomas jokes that since taking command of the 10th Civil Support Team (CST) 18 months ago, he has yet to unpack his suitcase. Looking at his calendar, his bags will remain packed for a while.
- Assessing the Need for National Guard Troops at the US-Mexico Border VOA 05 Apr 2018 -- While U.S. President Donald Trump has called on the National Guard to enhance security at the U.S.-Mexico border, the numbers do not show the border becoming more "dangerous" as he tweeted Sunday.
- DoD, DHS to Work With Governors to Deploy Guardsmen to Southern Border AFPS 04 Apr 2018 -- President Donald J. Trump has directed the Defense and Homeland Security departments to work with state governors to deploy National Guard troops to the southern U.S. border, a top official said today.
- White House: US to Deploy National Guard to Southern Border VOA 04 Apr 2018 -- White House officials on Wednesday laid out plans to send National Guard troops to the United States' southern border with Mexico, as part of President Donald Trump's efforts to confront what he says is a growing problem with illegal immigrants.
- Trump says to use military to secure U.S.-Mexico border People's Daily 04 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said Tuesday that he wants to use the military to guard the country's border with Mexico until his long-promised border wall is built.
- Trump: US Will Be Taking 'Strong Action Today' on Immigration VOA 04 Apr 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said his administration would be taking "strong action" later Wednesday on immigration. Trump made the comment in an early morning tweet, but did not elaborate about planned steps.
- Trump Looks to Military to Help Secure U.S.-Mexico Border AFPS 03 Apr 2018 -- President Donald J. Trump said today he is looking at using the military to secure the border between the United States and Mexico.
- US Designates Pakistani Party Milli Muslim League as 'Terrorists' VOA 03 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. State Department on Monday imposed sanctions on Pakistani political party the Milli Muslim League (MML), designating it and its leadership as "terrorists."
- US designates Pakistani political group as terrorist organization Press TV 03 Apr 2018 -- The United States has placed a Pakistani political group on its list of foreign terrorist organizations, saying it was merely an alias for a militant group blamed for a deadly 2008 attack on the Indian port city of Mumbai.
- U.S. Adds Pakistan's Milli Muslim League To Terror List RFE/RL 03 Apr 2018 -- The United States has placed Pakistan's Milli Muslim League (MML) political party on its list of foreign terrorist organizations for its alleged links to a militant group blamed for the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
- Moscow 'Outraged' Over Prague's Decision To Extradite Alleged Russian Hacker To U.S. RFE/RL 02 Apr 2018 -- Russia says the recent decision to extradite an alleged Russian hacker from the Czech Republic to the United States is aimed at "undermining" bilateral relations between Moscow and Prague.
- Amendments to the Terrorist Designation of Lashkar e-Tayyiba US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2018 -- The Department of State has amended the designation of Pakistan-based terrorist organization Lashkar e-Tayyiba (LeT) to include the aliases Milli Muslim League (MML) and Tehreek-e- Azadi-e Kashmir (TAJK). The aliases have been added to LeT's designations as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) under Section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, and as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist (SDGT) under Executive Order 13224.
- Treasury Targets Terrorist Group Lashkar-e Tayyiba's Political Party US Treasury 02 Apr 2018 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), in concert with the Department of State, took action today targeting Lashkar-e Tayyiba (LeT) and its political party, the Milli Muslim League (MML), by designating MML and seven MML officials as Specially Designated Global Terrorists (SDGTs) pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13224, which targets terrorists and those providing support to terrorists or acts of terrorism.
- Trump warns to end NAFTA if Mexico doesn't secure border Press TV 01 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has warned that he would scrap the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) if Mexico doesn't do more to curb drug and immigration flow to the north of the border, doubling down on the importance of separating the two countries with a wall.
- Trump Warns Mexico About NAFTA Withdrawal If Illegal Migration Issue Not Tackled Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has warned about possible withdrawal from the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) unless Mexico takes effective steps against illegal migration.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|