The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Homeland Security

At Least 8 Killed by New York Motorist in 'Cowardly Act of Terror'

By VOA News October 31, 2017

At least eight people were killed Tuesday and more than a dozen others were injured when a man drove a rented truck onto a busy bike path in New York City.

"Based on information we have at this moment, this was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror aimed at innocent civilians," New York Mayor Bill de Blasio said at a news conference.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo called it a "lone wolf'' attack, saying there's no evidence to suggest it was part of a wider plot.

New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill said around 3:05 p.m., a man driving a rented Home Depot pickup truck entered the bike path, striking riders and pedestrians. The truck also struck a school bus, injuring two adults and two children.

The man then "exited the vehicle brandishing two handguns," O'Neill said.

A paintball gun and a pellet gun were later found at the scene. He was shot in the abdomen by police and taken into custody.

He underwent surgery and is expected to survive.

Police said the driver shouted "Allahu Akbar,'' Arabic for "God is great" when he got out of the truck. But when O'Neill was asked whether the suspect shouted the phrase, he replied: "Yeah. He did make a statement when he exited the vehicle,'' though he declined to elaborate.

The New York Police Department said they will increase the number of police throughout the city "out of an abundance of caution."

Law enforcement officials, who refused to be identified, told media outlets the suspect was was a 29-year-old immigrant from Uzbekistan named Sayfullo Saipov, who entered the U.S. in 2010.

The incident took place near the World Trade Center memorial in lower Manhattan.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said President Donald Trump had been briefed on the incident and will be continually updated as more details are known. "Our Thoughts and prayers are with all those affected," she said.

Trump later tweeted, "We must not allow ISIS to return, or enter, our country after defeating them in the Middle East and elsewhere. Enough!"

Department of Homeland Security said Acting Secretary Elaine Duke had been briefed and the department was "closely monitoring the situation."

Argentina's Foreign Ministry said "Argentine citizens died'' in the attack, but it hasn't said how many.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list