Belgium Approves Extradition of Paris Attacks Suspect to France
by VOA News March 31, 2016
The main suspect in last November's terrorist attacks in Paris can be extradited from Belgium to France, Belgium's federal prosecutor announced on Thursday.
Belgian and French authorities will now consider jointly how to proceed with the extradition of Salah Abdeslam, the prosecutors said in a statement.
Earlier Thursday, Abdeslam's lawyer said his client is eager to cooperate with French officials in their investigation of the attacks.
Cedric Moisse told reporters Abdeslam will not fight extradition to France from Brussels, where he was arrested on March 18 after four months on the run. He is accused of helping to plan the attacks that left 130 people dead in the French capital.
Abdeslam has also been linked to Khalid and Ibrahim el Bakraoui, the brothers who took part in last week's suicide bombings in Brussels that killed 32 people.
Meanwhile, prosecutors filed preliminary terror charges against 34-year-old Frenchman Reda Kriket Wednesday, calling the cache of explosives and arms found in his apartment during a raid an indication an imminent act of "extreme violence" was in the works.
Kriket is suspected of having traveled to Syria in late 2014 or early 2105 and had already been convicted in absentia by authorities in Belgium this past July on terror charges.
VOA National Security correspondent Jeff Seldin contributed to this report.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|