Probe Reveals Pentagon Deliberately Blocking Attempts to Shutter Guantanamo
An investigation published by Reuters on Monday revealed that US President Barack Obama's efforts to close the controversial Guantanamo Bay prison camp have been blocked and undermined by the Department of Defense.
The report showed a pattern of action by the Pentagon to stop the transfer of captives.
'Pentagon officials have refused to provide photographs, complete medical records and other basic documentation to foreign governments willing to take detainees, administration officials said,' Reuters explained. 'They have made it increasingly difficult for foreign delegations to visit Guantánamo, limited the time foreign officials can interview detainees and barred delegations from spending the night at Guantánamo.'
Active roadblocks set up by the Pentagon 'resulted in four Afghan detainees spending an additional four years in Guantanamo after being approved for transfer.'
'In other cases,' states the Reuters report, 'the transfers of six prisoners to Uruguay, five to Kazakhstan, one to Mauritania and one to Britain were delayed for months or years by Pentagon resistance or inaction, officials said.'
Both the White House and the Pentagon denied the content of the report.
President Obama had previously ordered the camp closed by 2009. Earlier this month Obama vowed to renew his actions and use executive orders if Congress failed to work with him on the issue.
'We will wait until Congress has said definitively 'no' to a well thought out plan with numbers attached to it before we say anything definitive about my executive authority here,' Obama told reporters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|