WHO Declares End to Ebola Outbreak in DRC
by VOA News November 21, 2014
The World Health Organization has declared an end to the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The outbreak -- unrelated to the one affecting West Africa -- was centered in Congo's northwestern Equateur province and killed at least 49 people.
The WHO released a statement Friday saying it has been 42 days, or twice the maximum incubation period, since a new case of Ebola has been detected in the DRC.
The WHO declaration confirms a statement by the DRC government last week that the outbreak there is over.
Meanwhile, a doctor in Mali has died of Ebola after treating an imam who succumbed to the disease. The death toll from Ebola in Mali is now seven.
Health authorities in Mali say they are monitoring 338 people linked to the country's other six fatal Ebola cases.
Meanwhile in the United States, a traveler from Mali tested negative for Ebola at a New York City hospital. The patient will remain isolated until more tests are conducted to confirm the results.
The WHO says Ebola has killed more than 5,400 people this year, mostly in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. It cautions that the number of cases and deaths continue to be underreported, and said Friday that DRC health officials remain on high alert for the disease.
The Ebola virus was first discovered in the DRC in 1976, when the country was known as Zaire, and is named after a river in northern Congo.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|