The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Homeland Security

Iran Press TV

Gitmo hunger striker appeals to court

Iran Press TV

Tue Oct 7, 2014 11:21AM GMT

A Syrian hunger striker at Guantanamo Bay prison has appealed to a US court in order to stop his force-feeding process.

Abu Wa'el Dhiab, who has been held in Guantanamo since 2002 without charge or trial, hopes that the testimony by two doctors on Monday will help convince a federal judge to modify his treatment at the prison.

During proceedings on Monday, two physicians testified that the prison officials brutally treated Dhiab during his hunger strike depriving him from having his wheelchair or crutches.

The inmate has been on hunger strike to protest his unjustified detention as his only way to object to his incarceration, his lawyers said.

"Mr. Dhiab does not want to die," attorney Eric Lewis said in court. "He wants to be treated like a human being." He added his client is "looking forward to the day when he can leave Guantanamo."

The prisoner has been painfully force-fed and was forcibly taken from his cell to be strapped to a restraint chair 1300 times.

Dhiab was arrested in 2002 in Pakistan and was cleared for transfer by the Obama administration in 2009. However, the US government has not sent him back to Syria so far.

There are still about 150 inmates at the prison which was set up after the September 11, 2001, attacks. A mass hunger strike involved many of the prisoners in the summer of 2005 but the protest dwindled after the military began tying people down and force-feeding them liquid nutrients through tubes to prevent them from starving to death.

AT/GJH



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list