July 2014 Security News
- Turkey Fears ISIL Radicalism Could Spill Over From Syria, Iraq VOA 31 Jul 2014 -- With the Sunni jihadist group ISIL stepping up attacks in Syria along the border with Turkey, concern is growing in Turkey that the violence could spill over.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 31 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 30 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 29 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Security Council concerned about illicit oil trade as revenue for terrorists in Iraq, Syria UN News Centre 28 Jul 2014 -- Voicing grave concern over the reported access to and seizure of oilfields and pipelines in Syria and Iraq by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and Jabhat Al-Nusra, the Security Council today underscored that there should be no trade in oil with these terrorist groups.
- Northcom's Vibrant Response Exercise Reaches Midpoint AFPS 28 Jul 2014 -- Vibrant Response '14, a major field training exercise directed by U.S. Northern Command and executed by U.S. Army North, has reached its midpoint.
- Gunned down in Mombasa - the clerics that have died IRIN 28 Jul 2014 -- More than 21 Islamic clerics have been gunned down in Kenya's southeastern port city of Mombasa over the past two years, according to the human rights group Haki Africa. All but one of them was linked by the government to terrorism and support for the al-Shabab insurgency in neighboring Somalia.
- UN Security Council Warns Against Oil Sales by Terrorist Groups in Iraq, Syria RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2014 -- As the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant and Jabhat Al-Nusra take over oil fields in Iraq and Syria and move to sell the oil, the UN Security Council on Monday unanimously adopted a Presidential Statement calling on member states not to trade in oil with these entities.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 28 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Jacoby: Transnational Gangs Pose Regional Threat AFPS 27 Jul 2014 -- Transnational criminal gangs based in Mexico and Central America pose a threat to the region, Army Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr., the commander of U.S. Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command, said at the Aspen Security Forum in Colorado yesterday.
- Northern Command Chief Explains Key Mission Areas AFPS 27 Jul 2014 -- U.S. Northern Command epitomizes the changes over the past decades in defending the United States of America, Army Gen. Charles H. Jacoby Jr., the commander of U.S. Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command, said yesterday.
- Video: ISIL beheads 50 Syrian soldiers, puts heads on poles Iran Press TV 27 Jul 2014 -- Newly-released video footage shows the ISIL Takfiri terrorists summarily executing at least 50 Syrian government soldiers in the troubled northern Syria.
- U.S. Embassy in Tripoli Relocated DoD 26 Jul 2014
- Diplomats, Marines evacuated from US Embassy in Libya Iran Press TV 26 Jul 2014 -- The US Embassy in Libya was evacuated Saturday because of violence raging in the capital, Tripoli, according to the State Department.
- US Evacuates Embassy in Libya VOA 26 Jul 2014 -- The United States has temporarily closed its embassy in Libya and evacuated the staff to neighboring Tunisia because of heavy fighting near the embassy site in Tripoli.
- Turkish Kurds want Ankara to Declare Stance on ISIL VOA 25 Jul 2014 -- The leadership of the Kurdish rebel group PKK has called on Ankara to 'declare its stance on ISIL.'
- DoD Supports Wildland Firefight in Pacific Northwest AFPS 25 Jul 2014 -- As fires rage in two states in the Pacific Northwest, Defense Department fire-suppression efforts are underway with two Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System-capable C-130s from U.S. Northern Command in Colorado Springs, Colorado, Pentagon spokesman Army Col. Steve Warren said today.
- Dempsey Explains Danger Posed By Extremist Groups AFPS 24 Jul 2014 -- It's important to recognize that the various religious extremist groups that threaten the United States do not share the same ideologies, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said here today.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 25 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Air Guardsmen, Reservists Help Battle Western Wildfires AFPS 24 Jul 2014 -- Air reserve components are providing crews and planes to support civilian firefighting efforts in the West, the commander of the effort said in a DoD News interview.
- Norwegian Intelligence Warns of New Terrorist Act Threatening Country RIA Novosti 24 Jul 2014 -- Norwegian security services received information that within days the country may be the target of a terror attack, Benedicte Bjoernland, the head of the Norwegian Police Intelligence Service (PST) said during a press conference Thursday.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 24 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 23 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Guardsmen Help to Battle Northwest Blazes AFPS 22 Jul 2014 -- Aircrews from the Wyoming Air National Guard's 153rd Airlift Wing, who fly C-130 Hercules aircraft equipped with the Modular Airborne Firefighting System, are among the latest National Guard members to join in the response to wildfires in Oregon and Washington state.
- US Terrorism Prosecutions Rife With Abuse - Report RIA Novosti 22 Jul 2014 -- Human rights abuses have been documented at every stage of federal terrorism investigations in the United States, Andrea Prasow, deputy Washington director at Human Rights Watch and one of the authors of a report on human rights abuse in terrorism prosecutions, told RIA Novosti Tuesday.
- Al-Qaida Wing Announces Plans for Islamic Emirate in Yemen VOA 22 Jul 2014 -- Yemen's al-Qaida wing is declaring plans to establish an Islamic emirate in the remote eastern Hadramout province.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 22 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 21 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 18 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Cyber Guard Exercise Tests People, Partnerships AFPS 17 Jul 2014 -- Partners from across government, academia, industry and the international coalition recently completed Cyber Guard 14-1, a two-week exercise designed to test operational and interagency coordination as well as tactical-level operations in response to a domestic cyberspace incident.
- 6 Guantanamo Bay Detainees to be Sent to Uruguay VOA 17 Jul 2014 -- The Obama administration has informed the U.S. Congress that it will transfer six detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba to the South American country of Uruguay.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 17 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Malaysian Tanker Hijacked on South China Sea VOA 16 Jul 2014 -- A Malaysian-flagged oil tanker has been hijacked in the South China Sea and its cargo siphoned. It is the latest in a recent spate of such incidents blamed on sophisticated criminal gangs.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 16 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Development and alternative crops provide hope in war on illicit drugs – UN UN News Centre 15 Jul 2014 -- Senior United Nations officials today called for a greater focus on development activities and alternative crops in countries where the tight grip of drug lords has disrupted peace, security and development, such as in Afghanistan and Myanmar.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 15 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 14 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Chinese 'hackers broke into US government network' Iran Press TV 11 Jul 2014 -- US media report say Chinese hackers broke into the computer networks of an American government agency in an effort to acquire personal information on thousands of employees.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 11 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Asians need to keep guard against MERS: WHO Iran Press TV 10 Jul 2014 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has called on Asian countries to remain vigilant regarding the spread of the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome or MERS, although the virus is unlikely to spread to the region.
- New Claims of Hacking as US, China Discuss Cybersecurity VOA 10 Jul 2014 -- China is facing fresh allegations of cyber spying against the U.S. following discussion of the issue during high-level talks in Beijing this week.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 10 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Report: FBI, NSA Monitored Muslim-Americans' Emails VOA 09 Jul 2014 -- The emails of at least five prominent Muslim-Americans were targeted by the FBI and the National Security Agency, according to information in new documents leaked by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.
- NSA, FBI spied on innocent Muslim Americans - latest Snowden leaks VoR 09 Jul 2014 -- The National Security Agency has been spying on Muslim-Americans - civil rights activists, lawyers and even a political candidate, according to new information leaked by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, and published by Glenn Greenwald. Among the targets were the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations-the top Muslim civil rights organization in the United States-and a former Bush Administration official who worked for the Department of Homeland Security and held a top-secret security clearance during the time he was under surveillance.
- France to Crack Down on Would-be Jihadists VOA 09 Jul 2014 -- France's leftist government has introduced legislation to stop would-be jihadists from leaving the country, and posing security threats when they return home. The measures reflect mounting international concern about Westerners joining the fighting in countries like Syria and Iraq.
- France adopts new anti-jihadist law VoR 09 Jul 2014 -- France on Wednesday presented a bill aimed at strengthening anti-terrorism laws to stop increasing numbers of aspiring jihadists from travelling to combat in Syria. The new bill, presented by Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve to the council of ministers, came as a 48-year-old woman was charged under anti-terrorism laws after visiting Syria thrice where her son is fighting.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 09 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- UK leads fight against drugs with £18 million seizure UK MOD 08 Jul 2014 -- More than 6,000 kilos of cannabis resin have been seized thanks to a British-led task force.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 08 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Islamist Insurgency Fueled by Global Finance Web VOA 07 Jul 2014 -- The little cans were at cash registers everywhere in Kuwait, where I lived during much of the 1990s. Covered with pictures of children in anguish amid burning rubble, these cans collected coins and cash for "Palestinian Relief" or the like. Sometimes, I put my change into these cans, causing the person behind the counter to often give me a puzzled look. Then, I learned from my Kuwaiti friends that these collection cans were not always helping those kids – many were funding Hamas, Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad, and other violent groups.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 07 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Iraq Analyzing Alleged Video Of ISIL Leader RFE/RL 06 Jul 2014 -- Iraqi officials say they are analyzing the authenticity of a video purportedly showing Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the head of the Islamic militants who control territory in Syria and Iraq, giving a sermon in Iraq.
- US introduces new security measure to detect 'undetectable bombs' Iran Press TV 06 Jul 2014 -- The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has introduced new enhanced security measures at overseas airports with direct flights to the United States.
- US Has $10M Bounty on ISIL Leader It Previously Held VOA 06 Jul 2014 -- For nearly three years the United States has had a $10 million bounty on the man who has emerged as the leader of Islamic insurgents, even though American authorities had him in custody during the U.S. war in Iraq.
- US Lawmakers to Weigh in on Border Enforcement, Immigration VOA 06 Jul 2014 -- U.S. lawmakers will weigh in on border enforcement and immigration reform when they return to work this week after an Independence Day recess. A stream of undocumented minors arriving on America's southern border, along with President Barack Obama's pledge to alter immigration enforcement through executive order, have sparked a firestorm on Capitol Hill.
- N Korea doubles number of cyber warriors over 2 years in effort to step up cyberattacks - report VoR 06 Jul 2014 -- North Korea has almost doubled the number of elite hackers over the past two years in an effort to launch mass cyberattacks, the South's Yonhap news agency reported Sunday citing military sources.
- ISIL Chief Allegedly Gives Sermon In Mosul RFE/RL 05 Jul 2014 -- The head of the Islamic militants who control territory in Syria and Iraq has allegedly been shown giving a sermon in Iraq.
- Online Campaign Suggests ISIL Has Sympathizers Worldwide VOA 04 Jul 2014 -- Analysts and security experts are expressing mounting fears that the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) may be gaining international support following the launch of its "One Billion Muslims" campaign last month. Some are especially troubled that some of that support is coming from Muslims in the West.
- US Warns of Terrorist Attack on Ugandan Airport VOA 03 Jul 2014 -- The U.S. embassy in Uganda warned of a possible terrorist attack on Entebbe International Airport in Uganda.
- FBI: Colorado Woman Had Plan to Aid ISIL, Wage Jihad VOA 03 Jul 2014 -- A 19-year-old Colorado woman, arrested in April and accused of providing material support to Islamic insurgents, told FBI agents several times that she wanted to take part in holy war overseas, even though she knew it was illegal, recently released federal court records show.
- Threat of attack to Uganda's Entebbe airport reported by US VoR 03 Jul 2014 -- The US warned its citizens in Uganda on Thursday about a 'specific threat' of an attack on Entebbe International Airport, which is near the capital Kampala, according to a message on the US Embassy website. It said information from Uganda's police indicated that the attack could take place between 9 pm and 11 pm local time on Thursday, adding that citizens planning to travel at that time might consider reviewing their arrangements.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 03 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- Who is 'Caliph Ibrahim' and How Dangerous is He? VOA 02 Jul 2014 -- To the United States, 43-year-old Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is the leader of the jihadist Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) and a "specially designated global terrorist" with a $10 million bounty on his head.
- New ISIL Emir Could Be Troublesome for Lebanon VOA 02 Jul 2014 -- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL), the al-Qaida offshoot spearheading the militant Sunni insurgency in Iraq, has announced a new "emir," or prince, in Lebanon, a country analysts say could be a major target of the jihadist group as it seeks to expand its power across the region.
- US: Anti-Western Fervor Motivated Benghazi Suspect VOA 02 Jul 2014 -- U.S. prosecutors say the militant accused of carrying out the deadly 2012 attacks on American outposts in Benghazi, Libya was motivated by his extreme anti-Western fervor.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 02 Jul 2014 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 01 Jul 2014 [PDF]
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|