December 2013 Security News
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 31 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense is announcing today the transfer of Yusef Abbas, Saidullah Khalik, and Hajiakbar Abdul Ghuper from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of Slovakia.
- Russian President Vows To Annihilate Terrorists RFE/RL 31 Dec 2013 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has vowed to eliminate terrorists in Russia in the wake of this week's back-to-back bombings that killed 34 people in Volgograd.
- First Funerals Held For Volgograd Bombing Victims RFE/RL 31 Dec 2013 -- The first funerals have been held for victims of two suicide bombings that ripped through the southern Russian city of Volgograd less than 24 hours apart.
- Death Toll Rises in Russia Blasts VOA 31 Dec 2013 -- Russian officials say three more people have died as a result of the two suicide bombings in the southern city of Volgograd Sunday and Monday, bringing the death toll to 34 with dozens more injured.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 31 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Security Council 'outraged' as second terrorist attack in 24 hours strikes Russian city UN News Centre 30 Dec 2013 -- Members of the United Nations Security Council said they are "outraged" by today's terrorist attack targeting a bus in Volgograd, Russia, that caused numerous deaths and injuries - the second suicide bombing in the city within a 24-hour period.
- At Least 10 Killed In New Volgograd Blast RFE/RL 30 Dec 2013 -- Russian officials say at least 10 people have been killed and 23 others injured in a rush-hour explosion aboard a trolleybus in the southern city of Volgograd.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 30 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Bomb Kills At Least 16 At Russian Train Station RFE/RL 29 Dec 2013 -- Russian authorities say security is being tightened at stations, airports, and other facilities following a bombing in the southern city of Volgograd that killed at least 16 people and injured more than 40.
- More Than A Dozen Killed in Blast at Volgograd Train Station RIA Novosti 29 Dec 2013 -- More than a dozen people were killed Sunday when a blast ripped through a railway station in the southern Russian city of Volgograd in what authorities say was an attack carried out by a suicide bomber.
- Radical Groups Must Be Outlawed, Chechen Leader Says RIA Novosti 29 Dec 2013 -- The head of Russia's Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov has called on the Russian parliament to outlaw all radical groups in an effort to fight against terrorism.
- Ban and Security Council strongly condemn terrorist attack at Russian train station UN News Centre 29 Dec 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council strongly condemned the terrorist attack that occurred at the central train station of the Russian city of Volgograd today causing numerous deaths and injuries.
- Suicide Bomber Kills 16 at Russian Train Station VOA 29 Dec 2013 -- Russian officials say they believe a female suicide bomber caused an explosion that killed at least 16 people and wounded dozens Sunday at the entrance to a train station in Volgograd. The latest attack in southern Russia occurred about 650 kilometers northeast of Sochi, which will host the Winter Olympics in February.
- New York Times Benghazi Report Disputed VOA 29 Dec 2013 -- A top Republican lawmaker is disputing a report in the New York Times asserting no connection between al-Qaida and the 2012 attack in Benghazi that killed America's ambassador to Libya.
- New York Times: Benghazi Attack Fueled by Anti-Islam Video VOA 28 Dec 2013 -- An investigation by The New York Times newspaper has raised new questions about the killing of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans on September 11, 2012.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 27 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Egypt Arrests Muslim Brotherhood Members, Supporters Under Terror Law VOA 26 Dec 2013 -- A roadside explosion blew out the windows of a passenger bus in a Cairo suburb Thursday, injuring five people. The blast came one day after Egypt's military-installed interim government criminalized the activities of the Muslim Brotherhood, further cracking down on a movement that had risen to power in national elections last year.
- Yemen: UN experts condemn drone strikes on mistaken wedding processions UN News Centre 26 Dec 2013 -- Independent United Nations human rights experts today voiced serious concern about recent lethal drone airstrikes, allegedly conducted by United States forces in Yemen, and stressed the need for accountability as a result of their use.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 26 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Egypt Proclaims Muslim Brotherhood 'Terrorist' Organization RFE/RL 24 Dec 2013 -- Egyptian Prime Minister Hazem Beblawi has declared the Muslim Brotherhood a 'terrorist' organization.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 24 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Al-Qaida in Yemen Apologizes for Attack on Hospital VOA 23 Dec 2013 -- Following a public outcry about an attack on a hospital inside Yemen's Defense Ministry on December 5, the leader of al-Qaida's Yemen affiliate, Qassem al Raymi, apologized for the choice of targets and vowed to pay compensation to families of the victims.
- Iraq military strikes al-Qaeda camps in Anbar Iran Press TV 23 Dec 2013 -- Iraqi forces have destroyed two camps belonging to an al-Qaeda-linked militant group in the western province of Anbar, the Defence Ministry says.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 23 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 20 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Army Announces Decision on Army Cyber Forces DoD 19 Dec 2013 -- The United States Army announced today that the Army Cyber Command (ARCYBER) Headquarters will be located at Fort Gordon, Ga., consolidating and coordinating Army cyber and network operations under one commander for the first time in its history.
- Peru destroys 20 clandestine airstrips Iran Press TV 19 Dec 2013 -- A special elite unit of the Peruvian armed forces has destroyed at least 20 hidden aircraft runways in the country, which were used to fly drugs out of the jungle to Bolivia and Brazil.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 19 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 18 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Noor Uthman Muhammed and Ibrahim Othman Ibrahim Idris from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of Sudan.
- US Expects More Guantanamo Detainee Transfers VOA 18 Dec 2013 -- The Pentagon is speeding up the transfer of detainees from its detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Two Saudi prisoners were sent back to their country this week, after U.S. officials said they received assurances from the Saudi government that the men would receive humane treatment and that they would not join terrorist groups.
- Security Council spotlights growing threat of drugs, organized crime in West Africa UN News Centre 18 Dec 2013 -- The Security Council, deeply concerned over the increasing links between drug trafficking and other forms of transnational organized crime in West Africa, today emphasized the need to enhance regional cooperation and develop effective strategies to combat this growing threat.
- Strong growth in Myanmar boosts opium production in 'Golden Triangle' – UN report UN News Centre 18 Dec 2013 -- Led by strong growth in Myanmar, opium poppy cultivation in the area known as the Golden Triangle rose for the seventh consecutive year, according to a report released today by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
- Golden Triangle opium production rises 22 per cent in 2013, says UNODC UNODC 18 Dec 2013 -- Led by a 13 per cent increase in Myanmar opium cultivation to 57,800 hectares (from 51,000 ha in 2012), opium poppy cultivation in Southeast Asia's Golden Triangle of Myanmar, Lao PDR and Thailand rose for the seventh consecutive year, according to a new UNODC report.
- Taiwan issues level-2 alert for Jiangxi Province over H10N8 flu CNA 18 Dec 2013 -- Taiwan issued a level-2 travel alert for the Chinese province of Jiangxi Wednesday after China confirmed the world's first human infection of the H10N8 avian flu strain there a day earlier.
- WHO announces 2 new cases of MERS in Saudi Arabia Iran Press TV 18 Dec 2013 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced two new cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection in Saudi Arabia.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 18 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Health official urges caution as more H7N9 cases reported in China CNA 17 Dec 2013 -- People traveling to China should take health precautions as 10 more H7N9 avian flu cases have been reported there since October, Taiwan's Central Epidemic Command Center said Tuesday.
- Security Council extends UN counter-terrorism body for another four years UN News Centre 17 Dec 2013 -- The Security Council today extended the mandate of the Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED) – an expert body that functions as a United Nations special political mission – for another four years.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 17 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 16 Dec 2013 -- The Department of Defense announced today the transfer of Saad Muhammad Husayn Qahtani and Hamood Abdulla Hamood from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- Indonesia Arrests 3 Terror Suspects VOA 16 Dec 2013 -- Indonesia says it has arrested three more members of a terrorist network linked to the August bombing of a Buddhist temple in Jakarta.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 16 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Death toll from US drone raid in Yemen rises to 17 Iran Press TV 13 Dec 2013 -- The death toll from a recent US assassination drone attack on a wedding convoy in central Yemen has risen to 17, security sources say.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 13 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Africa's vast Sahel region threatened by terrorism, organized crime, Ban warns UN News Centre 12 Dec 2013 -- Terrorism, trafficking in arms, drugs and people, and other transnational forms of organized crime are threatening security in Africa's vast sub-Saharan Sahel region, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon warned today.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 12 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Uruguay's move to legalize cannabis endangers global anti-drug effort, UN agency says UN News Centre 11 Dec 2013 -- Amid growing debate over international drug control policy in Latin America, the United Nations drug and crime agency today said that a decision by the Uruguayan parliament to legalize cannabis is a strike against international cooperation.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 11 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Texas National Guard Responds to Winter Storm AFPS 10 Dec 2013 -- Citizen-soldiers with the Texas Army National Guard's 176th Engineer Brigade provided support to state and local officials during Winter Storm Cleon, as named by the National Weather Service, in north Texas Dec. 5-9.
- UN rights experts concerned about fate of Guantánamo detainee transferred to Algeria UN News Centre 10 Dec 2013 -- Two independent United Nations human rights experts have voiced concern about the fate of Djamel Ameziane, who was recently transferred by the United States from the Guantánamo Bay detention centre to Algeria, from which he fled two decades ago to escape persecution.
- Civilians caught up in Egypt's counter-terrorism operations IRIN 10 Dec 2013 -- Despite the Egyptian government's deployment of additional troops to its restless northern Sinai region, attacks by Islamist militants continue, and almost inevitably civilians are being caught in the violence.
- Bangladesh Set to Execute Islamist Leader VOA 10 Dec 2013 -- Bangladeshi authorities are preparing to execute a leader of the country's largest Islamist party, who was convicted of mass murder and rape during the country's 1971 independence war against Pakistan.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 10 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 09 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 06 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Military Boosts Mideast Alert Status Following Yemen Bombing AFPS 05 Dec 2013 -- The U.S. military boosted its alert status across the Middle East following's reported militant bombing of a defense ministry hospital in Yemen.
- Yemen: UN officials strongly condemn terrorist attacks against defence ministry UN News Centre 05 Dec 2013 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his Special Adviser for Yemen have both strongly condemned the terrorist attacks against the country's Ministry of Defence that reportedly killed more than 20 people and caused many injuries.
- Yemen: Suicide Car Bomb, Assault Kill 52 VOA 05 Dec 2013 -- A suicide bomber and gunmen attacked the heavily guarded defense ministry compound in the Yemeni capital, Sana'a, killing 52 people.
- Detainee Transfer Announced DoD 05 Dec 201 3-- The Department of Defense announced on Dec. 5 the transfer of Djamel Saiid Ali Ameziane and Bensayah Belkecem from the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay to the Government of Algeria.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 05 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Nigerian military wants 500 tried for terrorism Iran Press TV 04 Dec 2013 -- The Nigerian military says 500 people who have been detained during security operations against Boko Haram militants in three northeastern states must be tried on terrorism charges.
- Al-Qaeda base in Syria threatens European countries Iran Press TV 04 Dec 2013 -- Western intelligence officials have warned that al-Qaeda-linked terrorists are establishing a base in Syria which threatens Europe.
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 04 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 03 Dec 2013 [PDF]
- Terrorism threat against US increasing: Intel chairs Iran Press TV 02 Dec 2013 -- The leaders of congressional intelligence panels say terrorism threat against the United States is increasing and that the intelligence community has less ability to counter "a growing number of threats.'
- DHS-IAIP Daily Open Source Infrastructure Report 02 Dec 2013 [PDF]
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|